Netflix Honors Man Who Watched 252 Movies In A Month With His Own Day

We recently detailed Mark Malkoff’s marathon attempt to squeeze in as many Netflix movies as possible within a 30-day time frame. And it looks like we weren’t the only ones watching, as Mark was invited to Netflix HQ to celebrate his data cap-crushing achievement.

Mark screened his video for the Netflix staff, where he said is biggest regret is that taking suggestions from the Internet for what movies he should watch.

“Vanilla Ice’s movie Cool as Ice should have a category on Netflix: ‘Not Suitable for Anyone,'” he joked.

He also got to dork out for a few minutes with Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, to whom Mark confessed that he hadn’t been able to watch any movies following the 30-day binge.

Speaking of which, those 400+ hours of streaming movies ate up a considerable amount of Mark’s goodwill with his Internet provider.

“My ISP hates me!” he told Hastings.

“Going to Netflix, I felt like Charlie going into Wonka’s factory,” said Mark.”It made watching 29.4 hours of closing credits in a month almost worth it.”

Comments

1. Rick Sphinx says:

Is he employed? What a waste of time, I mean really. All the things you can do with your life, you spend all that time watching movies. I don’t get it.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

If he’s got a backgroud in marketing and is looking for a marketing job then… maybe it was actually a planned use of time. Maybe?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You’re an idiot for wasting your time commenting on Consumerist. All the things you can do with your life, you spend all that time commenting here? I don’t get it.

Oh wait…. you can do whatever the fuck you want to.

• chefboyardee says:

Yeah, except no normal person would spend THAT MUCH time on Consumerist. Otherwise they should expect the same snarky comments for being stupid. Checking into a website every so often is much, much different than watching 252 movies in a month. The amount of time required is like comparing a grain of sand to a beach.

Also, Rick Sphinx can also do whatever the fuck HE wants, like point out what a retard this guy is. And some of us agree with him.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

He succeeded in media attention, which might help with employment. Being creative in a bloated market gets you a job.

So was it really a waste of time? I’d waste 30 days to get my dream job for the next 30 years.

• Galium says:

He is creative enough to be hired to wear a chicken suit and carry an American flag.

• Saltpork says:

If the people at Netflix like this guy and he gets to meet some of their higher ups and internal people, why not.
            30 days isn’t that long to suffer through to get serious attention paid to you from inside a company, specifically if you’re known as liking their product.

• Blueskylaw says:

If I was unemployed and I could get national publicity
      with a stunt like this, I would probably have done it too.

• Tacojelly says:

I work from home often with Netflix on for background noise. I probably could have done this if I knew it was this big of a deal.

2. Straspey says:

“Netflix Honors Man Who Watched 252 Movies In A Month With His Own Day”

Well — no wonder !!

He was using his own day !

Well — lah-de-dah.

Geez — I wish I had my own day…don’t you.

“His Own Day”….humph!

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

LOL – I read that in Queen Elizabeth’s voice.

3. eccsame says:

Wow, he should take that act out on the road.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Okay, so was that talk show stage always there at Netflix headquarters, or did they make it just for him?

I’m not sure which answer I would find more odd.

• RandomHookup says:

I would be surprised if that stage weren’t always there. It’s a common set-up for companies that do lots of broadcasting to other sites or that host a lot of events. I’ll bet you find them at PayPal and Google and the like.

5. Blueskylaw says:

If this were Comcast or Verizon, they would have charged him extra for breaking some kind of data thresh-hold whether real or not; glad to see Netflix publicizing rather than punishing him.

6. Galium says:

I heard that the next person to get a day will be the winner of the Where is the oddest place you watched a netflix movie. I got dibs on while driving back from a political event and emergency room.

• Mike says:

Driving from a political event to an emergency room, now that would be noteworthy.

• Galium says:

After most of the political events that I have been to, I would assume a visit to the ER after, would not be all that uncommon. I’m usually nauseated after one.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

were you driving? or did you start the movie while driving and then finish it in the ambulance after the crash?

• Galium says:

I was driving for the first part of the trip, and I slept (more or less) in the ambulance for the second part. Luckily it was a short movie. And before this turns out to be a Johnny Carson toilet paper thing there is no oddest place netflix day.

7. gman863 says:

Some quick math:

There are 720 hours in a 30 day month. Divide this by 252, and it equals roughly 2 hours and 50 minutes.

For giggles, let’s assume Gone With The Wind and other movies that drag on for over three hours weren’t on his list. An average move is about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

This left the guy about nine hours per day to sleep, shower, go to the grocery and (god forbid) work.

I wonder how many of the moies he actually watched start to finish (as opposed to starting them and doing something else while they were playing).

This guy needs to get a life.

• Veeber says:

In the video they say over 400 hours of netflix. That’s 13-14 hours per day in movies. So closer to 10 hours a day to live the rest of his life.

8. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I surprised he didn’t get blood clots from sitting there watching so many movies.

This is as lame as the current Comcast commercial I keep hearing on the radio, where the man tells the woman that he’s taking a vacation day to watch stuff on Xfinity On Demand or Steampix (or whatever they call it). If I’m going to use one of my precious vacation days, it’s NOT going to be to watch Comcast crap.

The guy can do what he wants, as others have pointed out, but it seems like a waste of time unless it was a publicity stunt so he could get a job.

• Misha says:

Because it’s impossible to move at all or do anything else while watching a movie! No one has ever exercised or done any kind of multi-tasking while enjoying a piece of cinema!

9. Kisses4Katie says:

I kinda think this is cool. Whee, a visit to Netflix! lol

10. I'd Buy That For A Dollar! says:

This guy missed a golden opportunity to grill Hastings on the poor selection of streaming movies. Lately, all I have noticed are a bunch of gay movies(no offense to our lbgt friends ) and Thor.

11. dush says:

He actually watched the credits instead of just turning on the next movie?

12. Claybird says:

Glad to see that Netflix took it in good humor and not as abuse of the system, any other company would’ve gone nuts thinking that someone could pay so little for so much!

13. Claybird says:

Once again my comment gets lost…