Woman Claims She Got A Mouthful Of Hairy Spider Surprise In Her Chef Boyardee Ravioli

Just a little warning to the weak stomachs out there: Don’t read this if you’re eating lunch or ever want to enjoy canned Italian cuisine ever, ever again. A woman in Florida claims she was chowing down on some Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli when she bit into an unexpected, disgusting surprise — what she calls a hairy-legged spider, hiding in a pocket of pasta.

“I spit it up…I screamed, rinsed my mouth out and I must have brushed my teeth till my teeth hurt,” the 48-year-old told Florida Today.

She’s contacted the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and hopes they’ll take the grody remnants from her freezer and analyze it to see exactly what it was taking a bath in her tomato sauce treat.

The woman also says she called ConAgra, the producer of the ravioli, to complain and they dismissed her claim.

“They told me it was a figment of my imagination, the woman on the phone said they have people who call all the time and that it was just a piece of meat,” she said. “But this was a spider. You can see its legs. It’s in the middle of the noodle, it’s got eyeballs and big hairy legs. Now I love Chef Boyardee, I thought it was the best ever. I would buy 20 cans a week for 30 years. But will I eat it again? Not in this lifetime.”

Now ConAgra says it’s reviewing her case.

Our consumer affairs team has had conversations with [the woman], and we’d like to continue working with her to understand the situation,” said a spokeswoman for ConAgra. “If we could have the can, we could do a lab analysis of what she found. We take all consumer concerns very seriously. My understanding is that in our first conversation with [her], we apologized to her, explained our quality assurance procedures, and asked if we could pick up the can. We reached out to [her] yesterday, to see what further actions she’d like us to take, as she has not given us the product for testing.”

She’s not so convinced that either the company or the FDA is going to help her out, however.

“I dont think the FDA is really serious about this, I haven’t heard anything else from them. (ConAgra) said they want to get it but I’m not going to let them take it. They can take pictures but I’m probably going to get it tested myself,” she explained.

She says she’s got a terrifying history with spiders already, after a Brown Recluse bit her in her 20s, and this definitely doesn’t help her state of mind.

“I couldn’t sleep at all last night. Every time my hair brushed against me, I jumped,” she said, adding, “I’m so afraid.”

I would be, too. I would be, too.

Mims woman claims canned ravioli held spider surprise [Florida Today]

Comments

1. Rebecca K-S says:

“Hairy spider surprise”

Thanks for that.

• crispyduck13 says:

“Hairy spider surprise”

And here I’ve been going along thinking that name was already reserved for an interesting bedroom activity.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Hmm… yes, yes, very interesting, indeed…

• Doubting thomas says:

constable clitoris et one of those

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

This woman is insane to think that mass produced cheap foods have 100% inspection to insure insects and bugs are not in food.
      Also insects and bugs are food all around the world. If she is really scared of bugs and spiders in food then she needs to pay a lot more for food.

Also what does she think they will do??? Nothing.
      What can they do about 1 bug in 1 can out of a billion? Nothing.
      The FDA allows them to have bugs in their food. If it did not then that can of Chef Boyardee would be $10 a can.
      Women = stupid
      If she does not want to eat the spider then pull the bad ravioli out and eat the rest.

• mingtae says:

Andrew Zinmern would like the recipe for that.

2. corridor7f says:

“Now I love Chef Boyardee, I thought it was the best ever. I would buy 20 cans a week for 30 years. But will I eat it again? Not in this lifetime.”

Probably a good thing.

3. gman863 says:

Ewwww! I’d be vomiting for days afterward.

4. surgesilk says:

She f’ing loved it.

5. Blueskylaw says:

I would buy 20 cans a week for 30 years. That equals 31,200 cans.
    This is the REAL story here, not the damn spider.

6. miltona says:

I’d look at it as free added protein!

7. HogwartsProfessor says:

It probably fell in the batch and no one saw it. If you actually ate the spider, it probably wouldn’t hurt you. People in some places eat roasted tarantula, and you can buy one from Thinkgeek.com.

That said, EW EW EW EW EW EW OMFG EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    AAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNIGHTMAREFUEL

• StarKillerX says:

Well if you react that way to a little deep fried spider you probably don’t want to know any of the “delicacies” we sampled, and ate in the field when I went through jungle school in the 80’s. lol!

• Clyde Barrow says:

This is a minor issue where a bug got into a can before it was sealed. This stuff happens and the world won’t fall apart. Big deal. Millions of cans are shipped every day and the one time this happens we’re supposed to think this is a major issues? Hardly. There is no conspiracy going on. Move on, next story.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

It astonishes me that people are so freaked out at eating a spider, but have no issue consuming other dead animals like pig, cows, and chickens. Where does one draw the line on what is gross to eat and what isn’t? Not sure what makes eating a spider more inherently disgusting than eating a large mammal.

8. smo0 says:

This is why I eat nothing from a can. I make everything – I even soak my own beans and rinse them before cooking.
    DISGUSTING.
    Canned foods should only be bought in preparation of an apocalypse.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Question: If there were an apocalypse and you found a spider in your canned food, would you eat it anyway? (The food, not the spider)

• Coleoptera Girl says:

I would eat both the food and the spider. The spider’s probably more nutritious anyway!

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I’d pick out the spider and eat the rest of the food. And as stated above, be very happy that I was upright and taking nourishment after an atomic bomb attack!

• Invader Zim says:

Question: If there were a nuclear apocalypse would canned food be any good? Doesnt radiation love metals and liquids and well everything.

• longfeltwant says:

I haven’t done the experiments myself personally, but I “have been told” that back in the nuke days (the 50s), the military wanted to know the answer to that exact question: is canned food safe after a nuke attack. In my recollection, they found that radioactive dust would settle on cans, but the only thing required to make the food safe was to wipe off the can to remove the dust.

So, maybe take it to the next level and use a little soap and water before opening the can, but hey, if you are still standing around hungry after a nuclear bomb has gone off in your vicinity, then you should consider yourself lucky. Eat whatever you want.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

You’ve never found the occasional bug in your produce, pasta, or flour?

• Galium says:

There are bug eggs (sometimes whole bugs) in all flour. You just usally cook and eat them before they can hatch. It is almost impossible to keep insect and or insect parts out of any food. There is a federal standard to how many bugs or parts of that can be in food.

• smo0 says:

I don’t use flour – gluten allergy.
          I make a lot of raw food meals with veggies and fruits.
          WASH ALL THE THINGS!

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

There is gluten free flower, so your allergy does not mean you dont eat flour.

• Clyde Barrow says:

@smo0; i bet you’re a fricking barrel of monkey’s to live with.

9. Bagels says:

I agree with the call center that she probably was hallucinating seeing as she thinks Chef Boyardee is the best ever

10. Invader Zim says:

Just remember, there are people starving in other countries.

• t-spoon says:

Not sure if serious. Other countries also lack paved roads, I don’t take that into account when the two truck driver tries to price gouge me.

• Timbojones says:

Does he drive them both at once? I vote pay that man whatever he asks, because he is amazing.

11. dolemite says:

lf you think that’s bad, go read about the lady that was eating calamari and ended up with squid spermatophores inseminating her mouth.

12. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“Now I love Chef Boyardee, I thought it was the best ever. I would buy 20 cans a week for 30 years.”

I can’t help to think of the episode of Trailer Park Boys when Ricky is embarrassed about eating 9 cans of ravioli.

“I mean, no one wants to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli, but I did and I’m ashamed of myself. The first can doesn’t count, but then you get to the second, and then the third.. the fourth and fifth I think I burned with the blow torch and then I just kept eating…”

13. I Love Christmas says:

The funny thing is… those ravioli have DEAD COW in them… Would she feel as disgusted to see the dead cows face in her bowl instead of a spider?

• crispyduck13 says:

You must be a real hit at parties.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

But she is right. Why is a dead spider worse than eating a cow? It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

• Mark702 says:

One was advertised as being part of the meal inside the can. The other wasn’t. Are you too thick to understand that? What’s so complicated about that?

14. Bagels says:

in order to properly consume Chef Boyardee ravioli, you also need a side of white bread with margarine.

15. sufreak says:

“I would buy 20 cans a week for 30 years. But will I eat it again? Not in this lifetime.”

The spider did her a favor.

16. voogru says:

I wonder if she eats meat.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MEAT IS A DEAD ANIMAL?

WHY ARE YOU SO AFRAID OF A DEAD ANIMAL IN YOUR FOOD?

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Silly, she’s afraid of spiders, not dead animals!

• crispyduck13 says:

As long as the dead animal was declared in the ingredients your comment has no point. Stop trying to be a smartass.

17. scoosdad says:

“If we took the bones out, it wouldn’t be crunchy.”

–Monty Python’s Whizzo Chocolate Factory (aka ‘crunchy frog’) sketch

18. dolemite says:

Oh man, changing the pic is just wrong, but hilarious.

19. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“…we found this mouse in a bottle of Elsinore beer that we bought at your beer store, eh?”

I call bullshit. This woman is looking for a payout.

Next in line, please!

20. crispyduck13 says:

I’m telling you, between Consumerist and Gawker I don’t need to pay for some fancy shmancy Weight Watchers membership or whatever, you guys do all the hard work for me!

21. CubeRat says:

I give the OP my condolences for her shock, because I also hate spiders. But most food comes with bugs.

When I was in grade school, I had to do a report on canned food, I don’t remember what I was supposed to be researching. (LONG before the internet). All I remember is that canned food had an allowance for “bug parts”. I remember being completely grossed out by this, but my parents were completely nonchalant. My father’s comment was something to the effect of “it’s just more protein”. My mother said she tried to remove whole bugs if she saw them, otherwise, it was cooked so no harm done. I will say we grew almost everything we ate and it was all organic as my parents were not going to pay extra for chemicals to spray on food they would eat. We even had our own bees and Dad made wine.

22. Such an Interesting Monster says:

The sad part is that the spider is probably the healthiest part of that meal.

23. longfeltwant says:

” I love Chef Boyardee, I thought it was the best ever. I would buy 20 cans a week for 30 years.”

Mmm hmm. This lady is a winner.

Let’s do the math: “twenty cans a week” means she ate it for three meals a day, seven days a week, except Thursday at lunchtime she had something else instead.

24. 2 Replies says:

Sounds like she’s a nut job.
    She says she wants someone to analyze it, but REFUSES to give it to THE COMPANY she contacted.

The fact her OWN HAIR was scaring her is evidence enough for me that she’s got mental issues (which ARE NOT from eating ravioli).

• crispyduck13 says:

The fact that she refuses to give to them for testing means she’s bullshitting or is smart or has a good attorney who is being smart for her. Once you give it up you lose your leverage.

She should get the company to agree to her sending it to an independent lab for testing, otherwise she’s just some check chaser.

• Ilovegnomes says:

I agree. They could, “take it for testing” and then it could disappear. If she plan on suing, she should do her own test first, then give it to them.

25. rlmiller007 says:

She’s right. No one will help her. It’s not a big deal. Food processors are allowed “X” amount of insects etc in their product.

26. Hungry Dog says:

I do not see the big deal. We all eat several spiders a year in our sleep.

27. kataisa says:

I disagree. Stories like this, and others such as fast-food workers spitting on your food, should always be publicized and read widely by the public. Maybe the gross-out factor will help fix the obesity problem and get Americans to stop eating overly-processed, packaged Frankenfood and go back into the kitchen to learn how to cook home-made meals again.

28. SerenityDan says:

A spider fell into the can at the plant. Big f’n deal, it happens. Grow up lady and stop being such a baby. (Coming from a big Arachnophobe)

29. d0x360 says:

Why do people over react so much these days? Yea it sucks but it happens. They can’t really prevent it. I’m sure its quite rare. One time a meal worm was in a bite sized brownie I ate. It was gross…so I threw that box away…no big deal

30. tundey says:

Adults eat Chef Boyardee?

31. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I was never a fan of canned Chef Boyardee anything, let alone multiple cans per week. To me, it always had a weird aftertaste, and had an odd texture. Plus the sodium level is enough to choke a horse. I can’t imagine wanting to eat 20 cans a week! That woman has no sense of taste.

32. josephpr says:

And when she tried to de-stress by putting on her spider-woman costume and going to Universal Studios Orlando, they wouldn’t let her in. Life really sucks if you’re her.

33. elephant says:

You know what’s grosser than finding a spider in your dinner?

Consuming 20 cans of Chef Boyardee a week – gross!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Emily says:

Look, the real victim here is the spider. Is the company going to compensate his family?

35. HalOfBorg says:

Trivia time:

Chef Boyardee was a real person, but “Boyardee” is not how his named was spelled. He had it spelled this way so people would pronounce his name correctly wherever his product went.

36. floridavet says:

Hey, you eat Chef Boy-ar-dee? Well, what do you expect?

37. EarthAngel says:

How was how she proceeded to eat the ravioli pertinent to finding a spider in her noodle?

38. TRRosen says:

The spider is far too intact for me to find her story credible. Even if it fell into the meat it still would have been mostly ground up in the process.

By the way you organic all natural folks eat more bug parts in your meals then the canned food eaters.

39. hush404 says:

Damn the chef for not removing the hair this time.

40. CalicoGal says:

FLORIDA!!! lol!!!!!!

(The news article states that she was having a “freshly grilled ham and cheese sandwich with her fiance when she decided to warm up a plate of her favorite canned ravioli…”

Now THERE’S a combo!! Why is this woman not 300lbs???)

41. PAHACKER says:

I once bought the holiday special “Can of spider parts” from ConAgra and the entire experience was ruined by all the chunks of ravioli and cow meat in there. From now on I am only eating spider parts straight off the web.

42. Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

I make my own Chef Boyardee at home…

No, seriously. It’s pasta tossed in a tomato cream sauce, and it’s DELICIOUS YUMMY AWESOMENESS.

43. do-it-myself says:

Italian Cuisine? Haha, that’s a good one. I wouldn’t feed that stuff to my dog or cat!