June Recall Roundup: Mac ‘N’ Cheese ‘N’ Metal Shards

Pull up a stepstool, park your kid’s stroller, and let’s sit down with some Trader Joe’s chicken breasts and Walmart mac and cheese, with Sienna Bakery macademia nut cookies: it’s time for the Recall Roundup. Oh. All of those things have been recalled, really?

Food

Medicine

Babies and Kids

Home and Appliances

Sports and Outdoors

Comments

1. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“possible undeclared walnuts”

So…does that mean they were smuggled through customs?

“Seasoning packet may contain small metal fragments.”

Guys, guys! Where do you think all that iron in your blood comes from?

2. Wheels17 says:

Kennedy Step Stool…

“For additional information, contact Kennedy International toll-free at (855) 270-8301 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday”

“This mailbox is full. No new messages can be accepted”

Glad I’m not them….

3. crispyduck13 says:

I don’t recall (ha!) there being monthly roundups like this before, I like it!

• pamelad says:

Useful roundup. Nice new feature, Laura!

• Laura Northrup says:

I’ve been doing them periodically for a few years now. Usually just whenever there seems to be enough recalls, or when there’s one in the news and we should get other recent ones out while we’re at it.

4. smo0 says:

Cheap plastic crap.
    The fact that plastic is already cheap makes me wonder why they don’t take the time to reinforce anything or make it sturdier.
    I rarely see the more expensive name brands who use things like steel and raw materials on these lists.

5. gman863 says:

The listing for the store brand mac and cheese is a bit confusing – it may be leaving out other stores where these products were sold.

* Food Club is sold at many other smaller chains not listed (Bruno’s/Food World and Marsh, to name a few). Is it only Food Club products distributed to the stores listed or all Food Club mac & cheese distributed to all stores across the country?

* Ditto for the Kroger/King Soopers stuff. Is it only product at these two stores or does it include other Kroger-branded product sold at other stores owned by Kroger (Food 4 Less, Ralph’s, Fred Meyer, etc.)?

6. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Sienna Bakery Oatmeal Walnut Raisin and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies – possible undeclared walnuts

– this is interesting, as the walnuts are kind of declared on the product name.

• crispyduck13 says:

The recall was initiated after it was discovered that walnut-containing Oatmeal Walnut Raisin cookies were distributed in retail boxes labeled as “White Chocolate Macadamia Nut” that did not indicate the presence of walnuts

It makes way more sense that way.

• Jillia says:

Ah, thank you. As someone who has a walnut allergy (and ONLY a walnut allergy oddly enough, I can basically eat any other nut or legume) that would concern me. Granted, I haven’t had a reaction 2 benadryl and a nap can’t take care of, but I still try to avoid them just in case that big reaction is brewing.

• StarKillerX says:

I’m curious, do cans of peanuts containing a warning that there are peanuts inside?

• crispyduck13 says:

You know I just happened to have 2 different cans of mixed nuts and almonds and they both had nut allergy warnings on them. Sometimes I have to wonder how people got this dumb.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Peanuts aren’t nuts, they are legumes. So a can saying “Mixed Nuts” would not contain peanuts. I have noticed cans now say “Mixed Nuts with Peanuts.”

• ChuckECheese says:

The real reason for this (and for the dorky wheat-warning mentioned above on a shredded wheat box) is because the gummint a few years ago began requiring food manufacturers to list the 7 or 8 most common allergens prominently on food packages. Peanuts and wheat (and soy and milk and some other stuff) are on that list.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

My box of shredded wheat says “contains wheat”. I guess in this day and age of food substitutions, maybe it’s a good thing it says that.

• icruise says:

There are always going to be a few cases where allergy warnings sound stupid (a container of milk with a “contains milk” warning, for example). But I’d rather have them be thorough and put the warnings on everything than draw some arbitrary line where they don’t have to declare allergens. There are some cases where it’s actually pretty hard to tell whether something contains an allergen or not, and being able to tell is a pretty big deal you have a serious allergy.

7. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i really worry about the food stuffs i see sometimes. why is there wheat in the pork and milk in the fruity chicken?

as for the log splitter – if something could probably be used by a Bond villain at a climatic scene in the movie, it’s probably a pretty dangerous thing anyway and shouldn’t be handled without some training and safety glasses*

*yes, i know, the end cap coming off is abnormal operation and not to be expected.

• ScandalMgr says:

reminds me of the chipper/shredder scene from Fargo…

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Well, as far as the chicken goes, the recall is for stuffed chicken breast, so I’m guessing the undeclared milk / soy was in the stuffing.

8. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Golden Glen Creamery Red Pepper Onion & Garlic Cheddar

I had to read that several times to figure out what the heck it was. It looks like just a list of ingredients.

Cheese

9. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I’m glad I don’t have food allergies! Just looking through the list, I wonder how people with allergies figure all this out, especially if things someone could be allergic to could be or are included and not listed on the label. Yikes!!

• ChuckECheese says:

As somebody who cannot eat gluten grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats) or their derivatives, here’s what I do:

1. I buy ingredients that are as plain as possible. If canned or packaged, then unseasoned, unadorned.
      2. I read labels of everything I buy, every time I buy it. For instance, Frito-Lay recently reformulated many of its snax, adding gluten to some, taking it away from others.
      3. I buy from reputable allergy-friendly companies that actually test their food for gluten and grains.
      4. I hang out on web forums where people discuss their knowledge and experiences with various foodstuffs, and I learn from their experiences.
      5. I add new items to my diet one at a time, so that if I become ill, it’s easier to trace the source.

• BeamMeUp says:

Yeah, it is terrible being the parent of a milk (casein protein) allergic kid. You have to read every single label every time you shop. A normal grocery trip can last me over 2 hours!

Things with milk/sodium caseinate in them I never expected: marshmallows, fruit snacks, canned vegetables

• justhypatia says:

Like Chuck states, you just stop buying most packaged foods.

Which is also why ‘gluten-free’ has become a trend even among those who don’t actually have any intolerances as a weight-loss program. Cut out gluten and you are cutting out a ton of packaged and processed food… and calories.

10. Portlandia says:

Wow, I have one of those step stools and it did indeed break. Thanks!

11. HogwartsProfessor says:

Happy Mouth Wire Mouth Bits (for horses) – wire may fray; bit would break

The “for horses” part made me laugh really hard, as I pictured somebody running around with this in his mouth. “Oh I thought they were to correct my overbite!”

• GrimJack says:

Yes, just to let us know that the “Happy Mouth Wire Mouth Bits (for ponyplay aficionados)” is perfectly safe and not under recall.

12. icerabbit says:

Thanks for this recall roundup.

That step stool photo caught my eye as we have one and there are some more in the family. Neat little foldaway thing, but I guess unfortunately enough not built strong enough and only capable of supporting a child?

I have to start paying attention to these recall roundups. Plenty of stuff that breaks around the house over the years with minimal use (and without abuse) which we just attribute to cheap manufacturing and inferior (too thin) plastic being used.

Recently had a similar but older clip on lamp break because the plastic isn’t strong enough to keep up with the pressure of the spring. Might have been recalled!

• dork says:

We have two of these, and the kids love them because they can move them around to get to stuff. But, yeah, I tried using one once and got the distinct impression that it wouldn’t hold my weight, and haven’t used it since. It even creaks if I sit on it.

13. shthar says:

H – E – B?

Really?

Should I assume this is an east coast chain?

• Nighthawke says:

H-E-B is a Texas chain of stores, on par with Krogers or Mejier, they are huge here and give walmart indigestion when it comes to grocery sales.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

They also have a fantastic gourmet market chain called Central Market that carries some HEB branded products. We don’t have regular HEB here, but have loads of Central Markets. Oddly enough, there is a commercial for them on now.

14. BigHeadEd says:

“Aqua-Leisure Children’s Trampolines – Handlebars may break”

A trampoline with handles. Yes I could see where the handlebars could break with children’s chins smashing down on them constantly. Seriously, we put handles on trampolines now? What’s next, airbags in bumper cars?

15. IraAntelope says:

I would prefer a walnut that refuses to declare itself than a baby appliance that chops off my infant’s tiny fingers…

16. IraAntelope says:

“Salsa Minimalist bicycle racks – May fall while in use”…why not just drop your bike when you get off…save yourself a few bucks? Is it the Salsa?

17. aleck says:

“Macademia” – I should trademark it as a “nut that makes you smarter” and sell it on college campuses.

18. perruptor says:

“Tots in Mind Crib Tents – Strangulation and entrapment hazard”

So that’s what they had in mind for those tots.