Why Doesn’t Sony Playstation Network Want My Money?

Jonathan’s sons sometimes want to buy downloadable content for their Playstation 3 games. He’s perfectly happy to buy this content for them, because he’s a nice dad like that. Unfortunately, his money is no good at Sony. He uses his credit card to add $10 to his virtual wallet. Then the same card won’t work immediately afterward. Neither will a different card.

Every now and then one of my sons wants to buy an add-on to one of their PS3 games like Rocksmith or Call of Duty. I went to my PSN account as I have always done in the past to add funds to my wallet. I successfully added $10 but when I went back to add another $10 I got the error: “The credit card information is not valid. Please check your entries carefully.”

After retrying again with the same error I finally entered another card. Same error. I waited a few days and tried again. Same error. Tried another computer with another CC a few days later. Same error. Apparently, this has been an ongoing problem for years that they refuse to fix. Calling customer help was useless. Their only solution was to buy a pre-paid card and enter that code. I’ve seen reports of those codes not getting accepted so I’m afraid to spend the money and still not be able to purchase anything.

It’s bad enough you can never fully use up all the money in your wallet or get it refunded, but now you can’t even add to it. Very frustrating!

At least being unable to add to the wallet prevents the problem of being unable to spend it all?

Comments

1. Here to ruin your groove says:

After the PSN fiasco last year you really want to give them your credit card numbers?

2. Browsing says:

Did he try calling his credit card company? They could have flagged it as suspicious activity.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

I’m pretty sure that isn’t the issue. The man used several different credit cards.

3. scoutermac says:

Sony hates their customers…

4. Blueskylaw says:

Was there a sign that said: Minimum Credit Card Charge – $25

5. Snape says:

If you want to buy anything on PSN I would recommend buying a card at a B&M store.

• RandomLetters says:

Use a credit card to pay for it to (if you can). Then if the prepaid card doesn’t work you could do a chargeback.

• The Cupcake Nazi says:

What? NO! How does that even make sense? That would be seriously bad consumer behavior, you should be ashamed of even suggesting it.

If the prepaid card doesn’t work, the prepaid card company didn’t do anything wrong, the fault there would still lie with Sony. So why would it ever be acceptable to do a chargeback on a perfectly good, working prepaid card, costing that card vendor chargeback fees and the sale too, when they did nothing wrong?

• RandomLetters says:

Sony sells prepaid cards for direct use with the PSN. Thats what I’m talking about. As far as I’m aware you can’t purchase a prepaid credit card with a credit card.

• RandomLetters says:

It’s also referenced in the post, ” buy a pre-paid card and enter that code”.

• The Cupcake Nazi says:

OK, fair enough. I’m not familiar with PSN, so them having their own cards, X-Box style, I was not aware of. As such, I automatically read “pre-paid card” as a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex.

• RandomLetters says:

Fair enough as well. I should have been a bit more specific in what I was refering to.

6. angryrider says:

Hopefully he didn’t buy a used PS3 or hacked one, that could be banned from the PSN.

• Kuri says:

That wouldn’t happen to one that is merely used, as I’ve had a used one for a few years now adn it’s been fine.

Hacked however, yeah

7. bubblegoose says:

I own no Sony products, but started getting emails about my account activity. I had to follow Sony’s process to submit a ticket to get them to stop sending me some kid’s Sony purchasing activity.

8. macnbc says:

I’ve heard of this issue before. Apparently the cause is that PSN is really absurdly picky about how you enter your CC address and such for verification. If it doesn’t absolutely precisely match what the CC company says it should be, it’s rejected.

• Kuri says:

I had a similar problem once or twice. Just do a little double checking.

• 401k says:

Could be he lives on a street that has a number, like 7th Ave. The credit card processor is only verifying numbers, so sometimes typing “7th” instead of “seventh” will cause the processor to reject the address because it is including the street number when trying to match to the address.

Or maybe it something else.

9. britswim04 says:

Just walk into GameStop, buy some PSN credit and redeem it on the console. Sony doesn’t have your CC on file and you get your money.

• TrustAvidity says:

From the article:

“Their only solution was to buy a pre-paid card and enter that code. I’ve seen reports of those codes not getting accepted so I’m afraid to spend the money and still not be able to purchase anything.”

10. HogwartsProfessor says:

I want a PS3. Can’t I just get one and then buy games at a store? Do I have to go online (well I would for stuff like Flower and Limbo)? Sony why you have to discourage me from buying one? I just want to play the Batman games…

• silenthands says:

My roommate bought a PS3 a couple years ago. The thing has never been online, and works just fine for its intended purposes.

• dush says:

Don’t some games require you to install them and get an online update before you can even play the single player?

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I don’t know, but some games you have to download. I think Flower is a downloadable game. I love Flower and if I had a PS3, I would have it.

This whole thing would be moot if I were just in the same place as my PS3-owning boyfriend….I could just play on his console….*grumble grumble grumble*

• HogwartsProfessor says:

UPDATE: I asked BF and an online friend and they both said you should be able to stick a game in and just play it.

• Anne Noise says:

Yes, tons of games have mandatory patches before gameplay happens.

• TrustAvidity says:

I wish I never went online with mine. It seems like every time I turn it on for something I have to wait forever for it to install a new update that, instead of fixing/adding features, it removes features and adds restrictions. I’d love for it to be back on the old firmware.

• Anne Noise says:

Many games are available both online and offline, but there are still plenty that are only available online. Sony has been making pre-paid cards for specific games available, so instead of buying a 10 dollar card, putting it on your account, and buying the game, I believe you can redeem the card for a game through PSN. That does still require going online, though – many PSN games, notably indie games, are too costly to produce a real disc for niche audiences, and the Network provides a good way to bypass that.

• Kuri says:

Then get the Batman games at the store and play them on your PS3.

You can get physical media for it, easily. Like was said before me, the games for sale on the network are usually indie titles or classics.

11. Belle says:

I have had this happen to my husband before. I don’t have a middle name and he does. If he doesn’t enter his middle name exactly the way it is registered, his credit card is rejected. I think we gave up and used my credit card to save time.

12. dush says:

Microsoft never has an error charging your credit card quick and simple. It’s almost too easy and convenient…

13. dourdan says:

the pre paid codes always work for me, in fact after the last clusterf**k that playstation went through i will ONLY use pre paid cards.

14. FashionablyDoomed says:

Why add 10$ when you can just pay the exact amount for the items you want? If it comes up to 7.99, I pay 7.99 plus applicable taxes. I never understood why people would add a pre-set amount with their credit card, as it always leads to a few dollars/cents leftover.

• Kuri says:

Those few dollars left over can be used on something else when you see it. For instance I recently for Just Cause 2 on my Playstation Plus account. I have a few dollars in my wallet from a previous purchased, so I went and got a piece of DLC I liked.

15. foofish says:

I had the same problem… I ended up being able to make the purchase using my old address that had been on file with my bank. My bank claimed to only have my current address on file, but somehow, the transaction would only go through with the address I had moved from three years earlier.

16. gafpromise says:

Yep I’ve had that issue. We had to send in the PS3 for repairs and ever since it came back I CANNOT successfully enter a credit card number ever. After multiple attempts I gave up and am now relying on prepaid game cards.

17. Brian Cooks says:

I wasn’t able to buy anything on PSN for YEARS because of a weird error like this. Turns out though their user information form has an address 1, 2 and 3 slots you need to put your complete address in address 1, anything in 2 or 3 results in not being able to purchase anything, ever, until you remove the information. So if you have an apartment number, put that shit in #1 with the street and building number.

18. erinpac says:

Did he inquire with either CC company?
    The card he’s used in the past probably started blocking PSN for the apparent duplicate charge. They can be pretty picky on digital purchases & low cost repeat charges that look like ‘tests’.
    The other could easily have an address mismatch or something if he’s not used it there before.
    It might be PSN, but sometimes the CC’s are just really REALLY strict about the digital purchases, and it would be a good idea to check there.

19. Sonylistens says:

@ Jonathan,

Good afternoon,

This is Pat Kennedy with the Sony Support USA Team. I am very sorry to hear about the issues that you are having with your PlayStation® account.

Please email us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com we will be more than happy to try and help resolve the issues that you are having.

In your email be sure to include any reference numbers you may have, a brief description of the issues you are having, and your contact information.

Thanking you in advance…..