IHOP Waitress Mocks My Fiancee’s Disorder, Manager Says He Can’t Do Anything About It

UPDATE: Thanks to the Internet, the couple finally received an apologetic call from the man who owns this IHOP franchise.

—————–

Some days are so stressful that a plate of pancakes for dinner sounds like the perfect way to relax. That is, until your waitress treats your fiancee’s neurological disorder like it’s the plague and then proceeds to openly mock her and call her a “junkie.”

Consumerist reader Dan’s fiancee has Huntington’s disease, which can cause her to experience muscle tremors and spasms. Add to that, she is pregnant. As a result, Dan tells Consumerist his fiancee is “sick and sore constantly, so just the fact that she even had an appetite at all, and was willing to go out in public during a bad day, was a bit of a surprise.”

Dan says that when he and his fiancee go out to dinner, it’s not all that uncommon to meet restaurant servers who aren’t terribly patient with someone who drops or spills things a lot, but says they have also had some very kind and patient servers.

“At IHOP we definitely did not meet one of those patient and kind servers.” he writes.

As the waitress took their order, Dan says she refused to even look at his fiancee. “When my fiancee tried to ask her a question about an item which she couldn’t find on the menu, the server held her hand in front my fiancee’s face to quiet her,” he writes, “So close that she actually touched her nose.”

And then, while other tables served by the same waitress got cheery and prompt service, their food grew cold on the counter.

Dan says their repeated requests for a straw — to help prevent his fiancee from spilling her glass of milk — went ignored, his fiancee ended up spilling milk on herself.

“The server yelled at my fiancee before disappearing into the kitchen,” he says. “It was nearly closing so the bathrooms had been locked, and napkins could only do so much. So my fiancee sat there for a half hour covered in milk, hormonal and embarrassed, and at that point crying.”

At this point, Dan went to look for a manager:

I walked around and didn’t see anyone, so I approached the kitchen door which has a glass partition on one side, around which I could see and hear our server, but apparently she couldn’t see me.

She was mimicking my fiancee’s tremors and laughing, and asked the other server if he could bring “the disgusting junkie” the bill, among some other interesting phrases.

I decided not to get angry and walked out from behind the partition and asked her if she would please send us the manager.

She said, “No, no, I’m printing your bill now.”

So I told her that I required the manager and she said “fine, whatever” and went into the kitchen, so I went back to the table.

When the manager came I explained the situation and how incredibly upset I was… I explained what I’d seen and heard and couldn’t believe she’d just made assumptions like that. The manager told me he couldn’t do anything because “he is just the night manager,” and that if we were unhappy we should take the survey on the back of the receipt.

Not knowing what else to do, Dan and his fiancee paid their bill and left.

At home, they filled out the online complaint form on the IHOP website, which to their surprise resulted in a call two days later.

“It was customer service wanting more information and apologizing,” he says, “then a call later that day from the daytime manager who said he was as upset and disgusted as we were, but it didn’t seem all that genuine.”

The manager offered them a free meal, but Dan pointed out he had no intention of ever going back to that particular IHOP.

The manager said he would send them a gift certificate that could be used at the IHOP of their choosing.

“That was March 26th,” writes Dan. “It’s June 13th. We have received no call, no gift certificate, nothing. I don’t know if I’m more angry with how we were treated, or how they pretended to be sorry and then blew us off. I’ve tried sending more emails to them, but all I get is an automated response thanking me my feedback and that someone will get back to me soon.”

We’re going to try to reach out to IHOP to find out what’s going on, but the “night manager” during the original incident should probably have offered to comp their meal. At the very least, that manager could have attempted to contact someone who actually has authority to make such decisions.

Comments

1. Cat says:

“Timmy!”

• GoldVRod says:

I usually like your posts. But this one sucked.

• Cat says:

I just wanted to remind everyone that they should treat people with disorders like the kids on south park do to Timmy – the same as everyone else.

• crispyduck13 says:

Aw, awwww. Can’t criticize you now.

• Coffee says:

Nice try, Jimmy. I’m not buying it.

• kobresia says:

But they treat everyone else with contempt and disrespect, why should they give poor Timmy any special consideration? Don’t people with disabilities want to be treated like they’re not fragile or freaks?

• GoldVRod says:

Yeah not buying it.

This woman was not being treated as everyone else; that’s the point here. What the iHop employee was doing was just cruel.

As was your post.

Hey you’re just some bloke on the internet with a Red Dwarf avatar. As I said, usually you hit the mark. This one missed.

• quail says:

Not funny. . . this time.

• Captain Spock says:

Why so catty?

• Bsamm09 says:

….and the Lords of the Underworld!!!!

• Velkyr says:

Seriously dude? It’s no different than if I called you a nigger. It’s just as offensive.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

What negative connotation does “Timmy” mean anyway?

Seriously, nigger is a derogatory term for a black person.

Who is “Timmy” targeting. No one, in fact. It refers to a specific person only, who happens to have a debilitating disease, and is also fictional. But it does not refer to a group of people.

• Velkyr says:

Yes, Nigger is a derogatory term for a black person. And TIMMY! has become an insult used against anyone with a mental illness, or a physical illness that requires them to be in a wheelchair.

It’s also used against those who suffer from forms of psychosis such as Schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder. You know how I know that? It was used against me and a few others in my high school. Everytime an article like this is posted here or anywheres on the reddit, there is always someone that can’t help but throw that insult out there. So, yes. It’s a derogatory term. It’s used to insult somebody based off of something they can’t control. Just like the word nigger. I’m pretty sure they can’t control the colour of their skin can they?

• rmorin says:

Damn your an ignorant piece of work.

#1 In general ‘s a terrible idea to try to measure up oppression. “This word has the same effect as that word”, is nonsensical.

#2 You seriously need to read about the history of the word “nigger”. For you to compare a word that people used for hundreds of years and still is used to literally strip the humanity from someone, to being called a stereotype of a south park character is way more offensive then anything Cat said.

• Velkyr says:

I’m sorry, but that word is used very much today, though not in a derogatory term. It has lost a great deal of its offensive nature.

I’m sorry, but do YOU know the history of people with mental illnesses, perceived or real? Were you locked in an asylum for something that was controllable, even back then? Today, this very day, do you have problems obtaining work, finding a family doctor, or getting any sort of help in dealing with an illness?

No? Then do not for one second think you know anything about the history of people with mental illnesses.

Your ignorance is baffling.

• rmorin says:

Everyone come quick! Some person named Velkyr just decreed that “Nigger” is not that offensive of a term. Feel free to use it in a sentence today!

I have a couple hundred hours of volunteer work done at the local ARC. Does that count? Or what about literally hundred of hours of pysch clinical hours for my BSN and FNP? Do those count? Fine, what about that my brother is MR? Nothing!?

Okay Velkyr, you sure know more then me cause you were bullied in high school?

People with psychiatric illness have a tough life, no one is doubting that, but your bizarre quest to let people know that “Timmy!” a phrase that entered lexicon literally in the last ten years (While I fully appreciate can be offensive to some) is some how equivalent to one of the ugliest words in the history of the United States shows not only bias, but profound ignorance.

• grimJack says:

You’re an idiot, and you need to be punched in the face a couple times.

• Coffee says:

Wait wait wait…I keep forgetting “n-word” dos and don’ts vis a vis the internet

DON’T use it in casual conversation
          DO use it as an example when criticizing other bigotry
          DO use it when speaking about how people “used to speak before the 1960s”
          DON’T use it sarcastically, as Sniveler found out
          DO use it when telling other people not to use it

Am I missing anything? Did I miss any?

• longfeltwant says:

Look up “synecdoche” and you’ll understand.

• Robert Nagel says:

Huntington’s Chorea is not only debilitating, it is 100% fatal. This woman will not live to see her child enter high school. The insensitivity of this waitress is breathtaking. Who does she think she is anyway?

• MMD says:

Are you willfully missing the point?

• rmorin says:

Really?

“Timmy!” has been used for hundreds of years to put down an entire race of people? “Timmy” has been associated with the stain on American history which is slavery? “Timmy” was a word called to people to legitimize that they could literally not drink in the same water fountain as other members of society? “Timmy” can be yelled even now by bigots to intimidate others into not moving into neighborhoods?

Or maybe “Timmy” is a very recent and not at all widely used name for making fun of someone with a disability. I know I have never heard someone call someone “Timmy” in that context.

You’re really stupid.

• Velkyr says:

Not at all widely used? Are YOU crazy?

I replied to most of your points further down.

By the way, slavery may have been around “for a few hundred years” (no, it hasn’t. American slavery was. Slavery is still going on today, and will tomorrow.), but mental health discrimination goes all the way back to early greece where anyone with a perceived mental illness was killed. With the rise of christianity, people like me were considered to be possessed by the devil, or a demon, thus we were heretics. And we all know how christians used to deal with heretics.

• rmorin says:

I don’t think you could be more wrong? Unless you are a troll …

Not at all widely used? Are YOU crazy?

If I asked 100 people what “Timmy!” meant, maybe, MAYBE 10 would say that it is a slur against disabled people. If I asked 100 people what “Nigger” meant that number would be damn near 100. So yes, “Timmy!” as a slur for disabled is not as widely used as “Nigger”.

BONUS: You asked me if I was “crazy”. Pretty ballsy for someone claiming people are discriminating against people with mental health issues.

In regards to slavery:

I never gave a time frame. You quoted something (with quotation marks and everything!) that was never said you ignorant piece of trash. What the f!@# are you talking about?

Again, either you are a troll, or really, really, dumb.

• Galium says:

The same way all the other religions dealt with; and deal with heretics. Don’t blame one group and leave out the rest, they all used to kill heretics some still do.

• Quake 'n' Shake says:

CRIPPLE FIGHT!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I don’t understand the hate, Cat. If we can’t laugh at having to endure the human condition, then it’s just not worth being human at all.

South Park uses Timmy’s disability as a source for humor, but it doesn’t use it to demean him or his disability, like the waitress did here.

• rmorin says:

I believe that South Park is one of the only shows on television that shows people with disabilities in any sort of accurate light.

Timmy, despite an apparent significant disability, is just one of the characters, and has a personality, goals, opinions etc. The kids treat him just as they do any of their other friends. If you watch for more then one second you can realize that the character of Timmy is well portrayed.

And for the person who compared it to “nigger”, you are really, really stupid.

• Leksi Wit says:

Sadly, this is the human condition.
        And it’s nothing to laugh about when you encounter individuals with little to no compassion towards the disabled or sick, for example. I know other people who had little to no compassion. They were members of a youth military organization called the SS. They believed invalids and disabled should be executed to strengthen the master race…

• shufflemoomin says:

Hmm. Why are so many eleven-year-olds on a consumer site? They haven’t even been taught what a consumer is yet, so why hang out here?

• Cat says:

Sorry if my off the cuff remark upset most of you.

Perhaps I should have made made this post:

Why can’t we just treat the disabled the way they treat Timmy on South park – just like everyone else. No better, no worse.

Isn’t that the whole point of the Timmy character?

2. dolemite says:

Well, I hope they left zero tip.

• eldergias says:

Better yet, write on the slip of paper: “Here’s your tip: don’t be a B!@ch”

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

I would’ve used the word “Aunt”…and swapped out the first letter for a “C”.

• Tacojelly says:

I like the 2 penny tip on the credit card. Costs them more in effort to claim it on taxes then the tip is worth.

3. I'd Buy That For A Dollar! says:

Why would the bathrooms be locked? I-Slop is open 24/7. This is BS.

• josephbloseph says:

Not every IHOP is open 24/7, at least not in my experience

• RandomHookup says:

You may be thinking of Denny’s. Not all IHOPs are open 24 hours.

• MaytagRepairman says:

So the “junkie” couldn’t go into the bathroom and use the straw?

• quail says:

Depends on who the franchise owner is for an area. I grew up with iHop being 24/7 and was shocked to visit one out of state where they shut their doors at 10 pm.

• hmburgers says:

Forget being open 24/7…

Why would the bathroom at any restaurant be locked while there are still diners? I can understand saying you can cook a cheeseburger 30 mins before closing, but the bathroom?

When I worked in retail at a dept store the store closed at a certain time and we were scheduled until at least 30 mins later so that we could clean the bathrooms and straighten up… so why wouldn’t a restaurant, a place required to provide a bathroom to patrons, do the same?

• RandomHookup says:

Generally, you would, but there are always places that think it is a great time saver (and money saver) to cut back on certain things like rest room access. Could be they are the only place around that’s open late and they get a big crowd of folks in just to use the rest room.

• snowlock says:

the ones where i grew up are open all night but some locations close at night where i live now. i was just as surprised as you probably are, considering how ihop is pretty much waffle house with a 20% upcharge built into the menu. i have honestly had worse customer service at ihop overall.

makes no sense considering their increased pancake selection is the only thing i see separating them from cheaper alternatives.

• Jawaka says:

Many restaurants lock their rest rooms because kids and other disrespectful people tend to trash them at night for some reason. I’ve gone into a McDonalds rest room at night to see shit smeared on the mirror one night.

If it comes down to me cleaning your shit off of a mirror or you holding it I’m sorry but you lose.

• RedShirt says:

The law says that if the restaurant is open they must have so many restrooms open. If they lock them the state can fine them and they are big fines.

When I was younger I worked for a Baskin Robins that got fined $12,000 because they only had one restroom and had 2 more chairs than they were supposed to have for having only one restroom. The owner’s solution was to take away most of the chairs and put in a “standing bar”.

• RandomHookup says:

Which law is that? Federal, perhaps?

Because of the wide patchwork of laws and jurisdictions across this big country, I try never to make broad generalizations about the law.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I guess I could just pee in your entry way. Be a damn human.

4. Coffee says:

Ugh…now this is a customer horror story. I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this waitress should obviously be fired if the story as told is anywhere near the truth. And as Chris says, any halfway competent would have comped that meal in a heartbeat. He should also be disciplined and/or fired for this easily preventable PR nightmare.

• bhr says:

The only possible justification I could think of (and it’s not a good one) is that a late night IHOP waitress probably does see a lot of junkies.

That said, even a junkie deserves respect, as long as they aren’t causing any problems.

• Coffee says:

You’re right about that, I’m sure, but I guess I’m just coming from the angle that, if that’s how she’s going to be treating paying customers, regardless of their disability, she’s not really cut out for food service. As a food server, you see people from all walks, and it’s your job to provide them with efficient, polite service, even if they are assholes. If you want to yuck it up do it on your own time or after the customer has left. Is firing harsh? Yes, but this wasn’t a simple misunderstanding; it was a pattern of poor treatment over the course of a meal.

Disclaimer – I was a waiter for a couple years when I was younger, and I had to deal with customers who were obviously junkies. They were always afforded the benefit of the doubt.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’ve worked as a server too. All I cared about was that people didn’t die in my restaurant and paid their bills. Whatever they did at home or whatever was wrong with them wasn’t my business. My job was to make them a sandwich and serve it, and get them something if they needed it.

If this bitch worked with me, I’d have ratted her out WAY before the customer did.

• Doubting thomas says:

I have worked some late night cafe shifts and had to deal with more than my share of junkies. Depending on their level of addiction and how little they cared anymore they could range from just annoying and a bit smelly, to a full on 4 police car nightmare in the dining room. When I started out I would have agreed that a junkie deserves respect just like anyone else but time and experience beat that out of me. And a pregnant junkie makes you want to vomit when you think about what that poor kid has in store for them.
        All that being said assuming someone is a junkie due to some tremors and spasms is just stupid. Unless Dan’s fiancee was also in filthy clothes, had crack teeth, and smelled like she had been living in her own filth I would have given her the benefit of the doubt, especially if she was with a “normal” guy.

5. debjwhe says:

I stopped going to IHOP a long time ago.

6. El_Fez says:

asked the other server if he could bring “the disgusting junkie” the bill,

While this smacks of Internet Tough Guy, at this point of the meal the waitress would be picking her teeth up off the floor. This broad sounds like a first rate, world class See You Next Tuesday.

• dush says:

Common, obviously you can’t expect more from someone employed by IHOP.

• dilbert69 says:

Physical violence is never a legitimate response to rude behavior. Were the OP to have struck the waitress, he would be in jail, and who would take care of his fiancee then?

• Bsamm09 says:

I disagree. Some people are assholes and they stay that way because they haven’t been called on it. Making fun of someone’s disease is pretty low. In my book, that deserves a punch in the face. I wouldn’t do it in this case since she is a woman and I can’t bring myself to hit a woman but hopefully some crazy woman who has a family member with the same disease takes her down.

The few times I’ve hit someone was when some guy grabbed a girl I was with’s breast/butt. I never worried about getting arrested since I figure he has committed sexual assault and would be quick to drop assault charges against me.

• Bibliovore says:

Of course, reporting the waitress’s horrible behavior as far up the chain as feasible would call her on it, too. So would contacting the local news about her actions, and about the management’s response. Those responses are not illegal. They don’t even risk financial repercussions for the customer.

• Doubting thomas says:

I disagree, be rude enough to my wife or child to put them in tears and I will hit you. My violence may be an inappropriate response, but it pales in comparison to an intentional and unprovoked verbal or emotional assault. Part of the reason asshats like this waitress flourish is that they know no one will do anything about it anymore.

• mrfantomhawk says:

I believe the insult your looking for is C U Next Tuesday

7. sufreak says:

Contact a few news outlets. Perhaps someone related to the ADA?
    Assuming truth in the story, (I have no reason to doubt it), this should be hit the internet and public relations wheels should start spinning.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I have to agree, only because these groups might also know something legally that we’re missing, that perhaps can be addressed.

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

As someone who used to work as a disability advocate this would definitely fall under the category of discrimination. Step one, write a letter to corporate informing them you will be pursuing action under all the protections available to those who have been discriminated against. Step two, seek out your local ADA representative/County agency and explain what happened. Step three, contact your local news outlets and, a minimum, do a letter to the editor describing, in detail, what happened. Step four, if you have not gotten satisfaction by that time, ask the ADA rep for the local free legal council best suited to handle your situation. If it happened to you it will either happen again to someone else OR, more likely, has happened in the past. Do not let this just go by.

Oh, and then do an ECCB with your discrimination assertion to all the IHOP upper management people you can find. Somehow I think that will elicit some sort of response as long as they get that you’re serious about this.

8. Costner says:

I don’t even know what to say… this is just disgusting on the part of the server, the night “manager” (who apparently is incapable of managing anything) and IHOP corporate.

There is a reason I stopped going to IHOP years ago. This is simply a reminder why.

9. quail says:

Sadly, ‘Manager’ doesn’t mean anything anymore. In an effort to pacify the masses a majority of chain establishments will call someone who’s no more than a ‘supervisor’ or a ‘key holder’ a ‘manager so that they can be put in front of a complaining customer. They carry no real power and often lack any training. The night manager at the iHop was probably just a little higher in rank than the hostess and with the same training.

I’m deeply sorry that this man’s fiancee had to put up with that B.S.

10. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I’ve never been to IHOP. This makes me even less inclined to check the place out.

11. crispyduck13 says:

The hell? Do IHOP waitresses have a union or something? How on earth was this bitch not fired on the spot??

• RvLeshrac says:

We live in a society that finds Ramsay and White’s level of discipline “unacceptable,” and firing people on the spot or giving them the tongue-lashing they deserve “too harsh.”

I can guarantee that if this was a real restaurant and the server behaved that way, they’d be out on their ass in minutes.

• Guppy06 says:

They get the wait staff they pay for.

• dolemite says:

That’s true of any business. Treat your workers like replaceable cogs and pay them the absolute minimum, and they’ll act like they are replaceable.

• crispyduck13 says:

All wait staff get a shitty base wage, IHOP is no different. I got $2.30 an hour or whatever it was, I was a great waitress. Wage has nothing to do with it!

• Not Given says:

The ‘manager’ was only a shift manager and didn’t have the authority to fire her.

• framitz says:

If the manager wasn’t a gutless wonder he could at least have sent the waitress HOME and hit her in the pocket book.

12. amcfarla says:

well everyone on consumerist got to see the article, probably not good for IHOP.

13. ElDiablo says:

Good manners and patience have made way for the almighty buck. If you want good service, don’t go to a place that pays the staff the “tipped wage”.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Not to contradict you, but no amount of money makes an asshole not an asshole.

• RvLeshrac says:

Hey, dumbass, this shit wouldn’t happen at a *real* restaurant, and the servers everywhere are paid in exactly the same manner.

This is the kind of shit you expect from a McDonald’s employee, and they’re not paid in tips.

• snowlock says:

i used to think this way too, until i realized the exact point RvLeshrac is driving at: servers are paid primarily by tips everywhere.

doesn’t matter if you pay $4 for a plate of greasy eggs or $25 for a steak and potato, the law allows (read: requires) the restaurant in question to heavily subsidize their waitstaff’s wages using your gratuity.

14. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Not what I would expect from the company that hosts Free Pancake Day for charity: the Children’s Miracle Network, to be precise.

Considering there’s a pregnant woman with a genetic neurological disease. Sheesh.

• maratama says:

My child was a “children miracle network’ baby…I would be calling them directly, call the Osmonds if they have too, the charity is awesome, staffed with truly amazing people. I can’t think that they wouldn’t listen to them….this is appalling. If that was me, and my husband…it would have been very un-pretty.

15. Portlandia says:

IHOP usually takes this kind of thing seriously. When I was younger my boyfriend and I (I’m a guy) went into a IHOP in CA late in the evening to grab a bite after a movie. When we walked in there were two guys behind the counter, and one turned to the other and said something to the effect of “Mira los maricones” which is Spanish for “look Fags”. As we sat there, I could hear them say some other choice things in Spanish, basically making fun of us and assuming we couldn’t understand. It wasn’t very comfortable. The waiter was generally okay but those guys pissed me off but I let it go and left because I didn’t want to make a scene.

The more I thought about it, I didn’t like being made to feel uncomfortable so I came back the next day to talk to the store manager. The district manager just happened to be there, who was also Spanish speaking and he was very angry at what I had to tell him. He called me back a couple days later to let me know that they let one person go and the whole restaurant had to go through sensitivity training.

I actually felt bad they fired the guy, I don’t want to take someone’s livelyhood away, but two lessons learned.

One, don’t say shit in earshot of customers and expect to get away with it.

Two, if you have a problem and the store manager isn’t being helpful talk to the district manager. Anytime I mention wanting to talk to a district manager or I’ve talked to one directly things get done FAST!

A

• Portlandia says:

**uncomfortable** sigh, where is the edit button?

• dolemite says:

Sucks to be that guy, but I’m sure a company would rather have that brought to their attention rather than possibly losing hundreds of paying customers due to some offensive employees.

• dks64 says:

I think if I were in that situation, I would have gotten a better kick out of confronting the person and getting the deer in headlights look. I’m a waitress and what he did was not okay. Sometimes I wonder why certain people work in the food industry in the first place if they can’t keep their stupid opinions to themselves. I work with quite a few of these types.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Because these people can’t get better jobs. Sometimes it’s education, but let’s face it: a good personality gets you pretty far, too.

• RayanneGraff says:

Lol… Everyone & their dog speaks at least some spanish nowadays, it’s not safe to just assume that because someone doesn’t *look* hispanic that they don’t speak spanish. This has happened to my mom many times- she speaks 5 languages & always overhears people happily talking shit, assuming nobody else can’t understand them. She’s a bit overweight so she usually gets weight-related comments from other women. She just LOVES confronting people too, I think she gets off on the deer in the headlights look they give her when she asks them, in their own language, why they’re insulting her.

• elangomatt says:

I am generally non-confrontational, but I think even in that case I would have ordered my food or at least find some oppurtunity to speak Spanish to the waiter just to see his reaction. I probably still would have complained though since anyone that works with the public should know better than to badmouth customers within earshot.

• PharmStudent says:

I’d say three lessons learned. The third is that Spanish is not some kind of secret code. A similar thing happened to me at a bar, but the guy who called me and my friend “maricones” was a patron, not an employee. I steamed about it while my friend and I sat there and on our way out, I said goodbye to our bartender, then turned to the two guys who were making fun of us in Spanish and said “buenas noches, de los maricones (goodnight, from the fags)”. I’d like to think they were shocked, but honestly, I think they were both so drunk they had forgotten they ever said anything.

• bdgbill says:

Rathar than feel bad about the guy who got fired (who was clearly a tool), you should feel bad for the people who did nothing wrong but were forced to endure the living hell of sensitivity training.

16. Blueskylaw says:

My friend has a neurological disorder and his hands shake most of the time and sometimes badly. We tend to go to the same restaurants so that the servers know us and expect a spilled drink every now and then. They are very friendly and polite (small town charm) and bring us extra napkins without complaining. I tend to dread going to a new place because I don’t know how people will react to his shaking hands but he handles the situations well with grace and good humour.

• Jane_Gage says:

Could he ask for a straw and leave the glass stationary on the table? It’s nice that they’re gracious about it, but it still sucks to have to grab a mop.

• trencherman says:

My dad has essential tremor, and for a while was so bad he knocked over glasses all the time. He’s since gotten a deep brain stimulator, and is much better, but I understand the whole “clumsy” thing and how difficult that can be.

17. Reno Raines says:

What’s the big deal? It’s not like she asked if you were on WIC. Now _that’s_ the worst.
    /s

18. shthar says:

‘Decided not to get angry’

That’s his mistake right there.

IF you expect a business to do anything, you gotta bring it up BEFORE you’re supposed to pay.

otherwise, oh well, we got your money, suck it.

19. Kuri says:

One of those cases when the ADA ism ore than justified.

20. drblair says:

Just post the ihop location, the name of the server, and the manager. Let the internet shame/hate machine take over.

21. Gravitational Eddy says:

Cue the enraged Huntington’s support groups.
    What do you want to bet that before the week is out someone will NAME this soon to be EX-waitress and make her facebook page public for all to ridicule and make fun of. And the IHOP in question will probably close forever.
    If she makes the assumption that Huntingtons sufferers are “junkies”, I wonder how she feels about anyone suffering from any form of debilitating disease.

Gee thanks, waitressette. Now you’ve caused several more people to hate you. At least.

22. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Ugh, and I’ve been craving strawberry cheesecake pancakes all day. I won’t be going there anymore!

23. krantcents says:

As a former restaurant owner, I would suggest that Dan writes a letter to the president of IHOP. I have done similar things in the past and usually get an excellent response. There is no excuse for the behavior of any involved.

24. Supes says:

Ugh, Huntington’s disease is brutal. Here’s hoping their kid doesn’t inherit it. Best of luck to them going forward in their marriage and as parents, because taking care of a child and coping with an adult as Huntington’s progresses is a tough combination.

• tiatrack says:

I was thinking the same thing. Their child has a 50% chance of having Huntington’s Disease, and it is an AWFUL thing to have.

25. PLATTWORX says:

I was reading this waiting for the point where the OP contacted corporate. That is the best direct route to assistance… not at the store level.

I once had a Lowe’s store manager tell me a $25 gift card was being mailed to me for a problem I had at a local store. I was a fool to not take down her name and number as the card never came.

I would say that I certainly wouldn’t be giving IHOP from March 26th until June 13th to cough up a gift card. I would have written again mid-April and have that card by now.

26. XylonMosquito says:

IHOP Parent Company: DineEquity
    DineEquity CEO: Julia A. Stewart
    SVP of Legal & General Counsel: Bryan R. Adel
    IHOP President: Jean Birch
    Email address format: first.last@dineequity.com (based on 6 email addresses found)

The rest you should already know how to do.

27. suez says:

I totally feel sorry and angry for this couple. What I’m not sure I understand, however, is one of his comments: “So my fiancee sat there for a half hour covered in milk, hormonal and embarrassed, and at that point crying.” Why the word “hormonal”? Is that a euphemism for being emotional? Because if it is, I can’t decide whether I like this guy or not.

• Supes says:

Perhaps because the fiancee is pregnant?

• dks64 says:

Pregnant women who are upset are often considered “hormonal.” I know when my period comes, I can’t keep my emotions under control very well.

• hmburgers says:

Yeah the hormonal thing is tied to her being pregnant, I think it’s a pretty common way to describe that situation…

I still don’t understand sitting in spilled milk for 30 minutes crying. At that point it doesn’t matter how good that Rootie Tootie Fresh and Frootie is, I’m leaving exact change on the table and taking off… unless the 30 minutes was the time spent waiting for a manager or something else?

Either way, IHOP needs to step up on this one.

28. hockey13 says:

This is sick. I hope they elevate the concern. There is no reason to be so nasty to people. None.

29. hmburgers says:

This is pretty bad. What the hell IHOP?

30. krom says:

There are hundreds of thousands of people out there looking for a job, many of whom are nice, polite, and tolerant of people with disabilities. The correct action for IHOP to do is to fire that c*nt (yes, I said c*nt) immediately.

They didn’t do that, I presume, so one must also presume that they tolerate their servers treating customers that way. And that’s unacceptable.

Alternately I suppose if the server herself offered a huge, sincere apology in person that would be acceptable (IMO).

I can’t help but wonder if her refusal to bring OP’s fiancé a straw violated the ADA, too. (Aren’t servers supposed to give you straws with drinks automatically anyway?)

• idx says:

She’s not a cunt. Cunts have warmth and depth.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i can’t imagine straws are regulated in that way since i know of more than one restaurant that doesn’t have straws available at all due to a desire to be more ecofriendly. i doubt IHOP has done away with straws however and see no reason for the server to not bring a straw if they were available

31. thehungjury says:

They paid? I would have walked out and told the waitress, manager, and anyone else in earshot to go jump in a lake.

32. ned4spd8874 says:

Lawsuit?

This is just appalling to me. I have a special needs nephew and if anyone ever gave him a hard time or mocked him, I would end up in jail for the ass kicking I would be handing out.

I used to love ihop and it was my restaurant of choice for breakfast food especially. Now, I’m going to have to reconsider that. I could understand if it’s just one bad apple. But for both managers and even the corporate rep to not do a damn thing is ridiculous.

It’s unacceptable and in my eyes makes ihop the new WCIA!!!

33. jenniferrose76 says:

I worked in food service for over ten years, and this is awful. If you are not able to conduct yourself maturely and professionally, you need to not be working with the public. The area I worked in was home to the upper-class, with about a billion law offices and the State House, as well as a lot of people with various physical and mental challenges. While some people in both groups were really unpleasant to deal with, it was my job to help them. This server needs to grow up, and keep her stupid opinions to herself, and the management should consider, well, managing the staff. Utterly disgusting.

34. voogru says:

If the employer does anything to the employee, he will probably face a lawsuit from the employee. Even if the employer wins the lawsuit, it still costs him tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees.

It’s a good thing we have these labor laws to protect employees.

35. The last angry man says:

Sorry to hear of that incident. The best and only thing to do at this point is to never set foot in a IHOP again – that is the only way to make your point, with your money. I once had a similar bad experience up here in Canada at a chain called East Side Mario’s. Because of poor service, I made a complaint and was ignored. Well, I have never set foot in one since and it appears that others are doing the same as the chain is starting to close down locations. Serves them right. Treat people poorly and you won’t be in business long…………..

36. WyomingGunAndHuntingEnthusiast says:

Can you say local news channel? I’m sure they would eat this right up!

37. dilbert69 says:

The manager most certainly could have done something. He could have fired the rude employee on the spot. That fact that he chose not to tells you everything you need to know about how IHOP treats the disabled. I’d sue the hell out of them.

38. RiverStyX says:

I-SLOP has been on my boycott list since 1999. I used to work for them somewhere outside of Houston – the place was a complete shithole & run by a family of arabs. I worked the graveyard shift for about a month washing dishes before they canned me for someone of unknown ethnicity that did it for less money.

Anyway, I didn’t see a single check from that place until *LONG* after I stopped working there, and it was grossly underrepresented for the true amount. While I was working there, I had asked questions about wages and tips and all that, they never gave me a straight answer about anything other then what time I was to clock in and out (10pm-6am).

Fast forward to about a year ago: There was another article on here about I-SLOP and I took the liberty of emailing the company asking about backpay and restitution..In so many words, they told me to take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut (AKA: “We’re not responsible for what our individual locations do because they’re a franchisee”)

And until they pay me what they owe me, I will continue to talk as many people out of eating at this chain as I possibly can..To this day, it’s safe to say I prevented them from receiving about $300 simply by replying “Eh, no not this place..Terrible food, overcrowded. Denny’s can’t be much worse and it’s two blocks away..”

You’re not missing anything, you could make a better meal at home for 1/3rd the cost and in less than 20 minutes. It’s mostly just-add-water and frozen food anyway. And believe me, if you saw the person cooking your food, you probably wouldn’t want to eat it. I have very distinct memories of fat, greasy mexicans mixing up pancakes from boxes and frozen hash browns from cartons that closely resembled the old-school paper milk cartons.

• Coffee says:

It’s always possible they fired you because you couldn’t work well with people of color.

• RiverStyX says:

I’m a person of color. What’s your point?

Oh you didn’t have one! Splendid.

• Coffee says:

That was my nice way of saying that you’re a racist. You don’t have to be white to be a racist.

• RiverStyX says:

If you read the other replies without resorting to what social psychologists call “Selective Perception”, the point I’m making is that I despise individual people who rip me off, defame me, assault me, harass me, blindly accuse me of something, or otherwise get on my fucking nerves..Neither color nor gender nor sex nor any of the other irrelevant factors have anything to do with it.

Could it be that, oh I dont know, maybe you’re starting to do that? Keep in mind: I don’t what race you are and I can care less if you’re the creature from the black lagoon. There has never been any correlation between people who annoy me and what their ethnicity is, and there never will be.

Words are just words, it’s the person saying them and the context they use that defines whether a person is racist..Didn’t you listen to George Carlin? He went over this many times.

Wont argue this any longer. I made my point, I have a life to get back to. If you learned something great, if not then that’s fine too.

• Quirk Sugarplum says:

I wholeheartedly recommend that you try to get back to a different life than the one you’ve been living. Because that one is just appallingly bleak.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

“Neither color nor gender nor sex nor any of the other irrelevant factors have anything to do with it.”

Oh, okay, then why did you feel the need to say filthy Arabs, greasy Mexicans, etc. etc.? Why not just say “asshole motherfucking family who owned the place?” If you didn’t care you wouldn’t have said it.

OOOHHHH IMMM NOOTTT GOOONNN AAA AARRRGUUU ANNNY MORRE BECAAAUUUUSE I KNOW I’M LOOOOOOOOSSSSSIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

• nishioka says:

> run by a family of arabs
      > I really hated my fucking life during that period and it’s too bad the war hadn’t started yet, because if it had right after I was replaced I would’ve signed up for my chance to go to iraq.

Dude, do you even care how fucking far off the reservation you are with shit like that?

• Coffee says:

You missed the part about greasy Mexicans at the end.

• Stickdude says:

I never would have guessed a commenter could have outdone the waitress in question.

Obviously, I was wrong.

• RiverStyX says:

I know! Because a pig like me who was infuriated that he wasn’t paid properly is SO much worse than making fun of a person with a disability. What was I thinking..Can I just pay the fine and we’ll call it even?

Lol..I was completely impoverished and it took a long time to recover due to that problem they created just so you can compare me as being lower then some ignorant waitress making fun of people..It truly sickens me how far this liberal guilt thing has been pushed. You people don’t fool me, not for a second.

PS: I work in the mental health field and I have NEVER turned away anybody with a condition beyond their control. And what have you done to benefit your fellow man besides, in your opinion, defend a bunch of criminals?

• Bonster says:

I work in the mental health field and can safely say that you should not be anywhere near the mental health field. You’ve met some jerks. So what? Everyone’s met jerks. You’ve had hard times. Again, so what? That doesn’t give you any special bigotry privileges. The level of hate you display is so over the top it’s almost funny. If this is real, get some anger management.

• RiverStyX says:

Hey, the race card is not required, you all don’t have to gang up on me. I know you’ve all have your minds warped by the likes of tv and bongo, but I will continue to say the same connotations about the disgusting white-trash rednecks. I’m an equal opportunity hater, to say the least.

Being italian, it really burns me up to be defamed by the likes of those inferior wops and guineas from Jersey Shore and people assuming italian food involves Pizza Hut and The Olive Garden.

You know who is a selective racist though? My korean neighbor who spends his days walking around our apartment complex shouting epithets at the mexican neighbors in the adjacent surroundings..He went and got himself on so many people’s shitlists, but would you call him a racist like you’re all jumping on me? The guy disgusts me because he does nothing with his life other then sit on his fat ass smoking pot and running off his mouth to undeserving people.

I know the difference between racism and justified complaints, alright? So yes, I hate filthy arabs who do things like blow up buildings or don’t pay me properly, and even mexicans that have ripped me off..But I also hate those do-nothing sit at home white trash losers living in trailer parks and breeding packs of babies they’ll never pay for and will turn into criminals or welfare recipients.

I’m not politically correct and I don’t care who I offend..If I meet a homosexual that hits on me or says something disgusting, I have every right to call him a faggot without ever feeling one shred of liberal guilt. And then again, if he leaves me alone or treats me with respect then I will give the same respect.

If you want to compare as being lower than a waitress who makes fun of the handicapped because I’ve learned to question what I’ve been taught then so be it. It’s your problem, not mine.

Seriously..A liberal is just a conservative that hasn’t been mugged yet. Spend a week in my shoes so you can see the reality of these people you defend.

• Coffee says:

Thank you for not being liberal.

Signed,

A liberal

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

You’re probably the most vile, loathsome, bigoted human being I’ve seen post on this site. And the fact that you’re supposedly helping people (or, at least, those that don’t offend you by their nationality or sexuality) doesn’t mitigate your bigotry, it makes it even more pathetic.

• SabreDC says:

I can’t imagine why they fired you. I mean, based on your few comments so far, you seem like such a gem to be around.

• Not Given says:

It’s probably too late now, but state labor board.

39. Dre' says:

Prediction: If that waitress doesn’t get fired it’s because one of those managers is screwing around with her.

40. framitz says:

Dan exhibits a lot more restraint than I would have.

I’m not sure I could have stopped myself from decking the waitress. I can’t even find words for the contempt I have for her.

Maybe I understand more than some people because my dad was handicapped and I hear people talk behind his back and it pissed me off. In school I NEVER made fun of or ridiculed people, especially for their infirmities.

Yeah, I need to calm down now.

41. MMD says:

I’m pleasantly surprised that no one has blamed the OP’s fiancee for having the audacity to go out in public. Good job, Consumerists!

42. HogwartsProfessor says:

I predict a huge upturn in Waffle House’s business. I’d rather eat there anyway.

43. bwcbwc says:

IHOP has always struck me as the KMart of the restaurant industry, and this story confirms my opinion. But if the OP never intends to visit an IHOP again, why is he bothering with further emails to corporate? It’s time to either lawyer up for an ADA lawsuit, or let go of it, carrying out your resolution to boycott IHOP. Are you actually still trying to score a free meal as compensation? Trust me, it ain’t worth it.

• RandomHookup says:

As far as I see, he only mentioned not returning to “that particular IHOP”, not IHOP as a whole.

• MMD says:

The meal isn’t the point. It’s that IHOP’s response has been so inadequate that they couldn’t even follow through with the measly voucher they offered. Time to educate them…

44. baristabrawl says:

She has Huntington’s and she’s pregnant? The kid will definitely have it, too. Look it up.

• Bibliovore says:

Actually, 50% is most likely correct. Huntington’s disease is caused by a dominant allele, so there’s only a 100% inheritance chance if one or both parents inherited that allele from both of their own parents. Otherwise, she only has a 50% chance of passing it on to her child. If her fiance also has the HD allele, then if neither of them got it from both parents the child has a 75% chance of inheriting it.

• Emily says:

You’re also discounting the possibility that the couple may be using donor eggs, or may have screened the embryos to rule out Huntington’s before implantation.

45. Press1forDialTone says:

IHOP used to be a really nice place to have a meal when I was much younger
    (in my 20s-30s, I am in my 50s now) but now the entire company is one big
    bag of scum. Avoid it like the plaque. Bob Evan’s actually has a process for
    reporting things like this right to the top and the top don’t like to hear things
    like this. I have experienced people getting fired on the spot by an evening
    manager (they are not open 24 hours) for a server calling a table of perfectly
    behaved gay men “a bunch of hungry faggots”. That server never knew what
    hit him. He was literally out the door with his stuff within 30 minutes and was told
    to come in the next day and see the regional manager who would be coming to
    talk to him. Wow.

46. notanignoramus says:

Your state Attorney General would probably love to hear about this, especially considering that it involves a disabled person.

Huntington’s Disease is absolutely terrible. I did a term paper on it for a medical ethics class.

I also have muscle spasms and tremors due to an “unspecified neurological disorder,” probably there from birth. It has caused me to be labeled a druggie as well, by a guy who knew me as a regular customer of his bookstore. Not anymore!

47. lincolnparadox says:

not to be a jerk, but get the waitress fired. It’s one thing to be a bad server, it’s another thing to make fun of a person with Huntington’s. Spend an hour each day contacting every support group, church, and news agency that you can. Give the server’s name, the day and night managers’ names, and the address. Share th e exact same story. Then, stop by daily to see if that waitress is there.

You tried customer service. Now use your voice to warn the general public.

48. Debbie says:

There are too many businesses today where the 2nd and 3rd shift “managers” have no authority. That waitress should be fired and have to look for another job, competing against the 8% of this country that is unempoyed.

49. Makrel says:

Maybe they should have reenacted the scene in the diner from L4YER CAKE… except with the waitress.

50. akronharry says:

I remember the times that my friends worked the midnight shift at IHOP in
    Rocky River, Ohio during the 70′s. Pancake batter came in large pails and when mold formed, the guys just scaped off the top and continued on using the batter.
    Never ate there after that.

51. Tacojelly says:

If I were in charge of a chain restaurant and heard that an employee openly made fun of a customer with Huntingtons disease, I would probably want to take more action before that customer tells the internet.

52. TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Lucky the bitch waitress didn’t get knocked on her ass……

53. Harry Greek says:

I would have pulled this waitress to the side and explained the situation.

Also, places like IHOP are not known for being tactful and thoughtful.

I am sorry to hear you were treated this way. But, the reality is, there are brainless and heartless people out there. Even if your fiancee didn’t this condition, you still would have been treated like crap.

54. jiubreyn says:

Why even deem the “night manager” a manager at all if they have no authority of their employees? IHOP fail all around.

55. Clevelandchick says:

I wouldn’t have paid any bill at all. I also probably wouldn’t have stayed and ordered food after that witch stuck her hand in front of my sick wife’s face. There’s are bounds of reason and that waitress pole vaulted over them that when she did that. If I had to chase the waitress down to get her bill and overhear her trashing my spouse? I’d have stiffed her with the bill and not felt a twinge of guilt about it.

56. AustinTXProgrammer says:

The waitress called her a junkie and that isn’t true. So slander. Sue her personally and the restaurant. Take her job and any future earnings. Too far? Too bad. Suing the restaurant would be required to pay the lawyer.

57. Earl Butz says:

“IHOP Waitress Mocks My Fiancee’s Disorder, Manager Says He Can’t Do Anything About It”

Night manager can’t fire people. Most retail/restaurants today, even the store/location manager can’t – he’s got to shoot that request to HR for termination and HR/district manager makes the call.

That being said, if I were this store’s manager I’d be hammering my DM and HR to fire this food-toting timebomb before she pisses off someone of consequence….or temper, and I got shot in the crossfire.

58. Kingsley says:

If the IHOP employees involved happen to read this, be grateful that you, and everybody in your family, and everyone you know, has the good health which you take for granted. The waitress involved would probably berate her own stuttering child.

59. majortom1981 says:

In NY atleast if the resteraunt is serving customers the bathrooms HAVE to be open. So the bathrooms being locked was highly illegal.

60. krom says:

>It was nearly closing
    >sat there for a half hour

“Nearly” is a half hour? How does this work?

You know, the more I think of it, the more they should have left well before any of this.

And they sure as hell shouldn’t have paid the check.

Dan’s kind of a pushover, and could probably stand to stick up better for his already-vulnerable and pregnant girlfriend. I suppose they didn’t want to be moving around a lot… but they should have left and either gone somewhere else or called it a night. Not to be a dick, but, why was she sitting there for half an hour covered in milk? GTFO and find a place where she can clean up. Even just home. It’s not like even if you sopped up as much of the milk as possible with napkins and towels (you did say “covered”), it won’t all be gone, eventually it will start to smell. A change of clothes is eventually going to be necessary. (Like I said, you said “covered in milk”, so unless that’s hyperbole for a little splotch, YMMV.) Is staying there any better? Just so you can have pancakes? Is there noplace else to get IHOP-style food?

I bet he even tipped.

They should have walked out the door before they were done ordering, considering how clearly rude and disrespectful the server was already at that point.

61. formatCdrive says:

IHOP
    Like · · 4 · 45 minutes ago ·
    formatCdrive: As a disabled person with a neurological disease, I will never step foot in an IHOP again. I hope you get cancer and die.
    44 minutes ago · Like
    IHOP Hi formatCdrive – The incident is completely contrary to IHOP Corporation’s standards and values. We are aggressively investigating this matter and will take whatever corrective actions are necessary. The franchise owner is reaching out personally to the guest today to convey our most sincere apologies and make things right.
    13 minutes ago · Like
    IHOP Hi formatCdrive- The incident is completely contrary to IHOP Corporation’s standards and values. We are aggressively investigating this matter and will take whatever corrective actions are necessary. The franchise owner is reaching out personally to the guest today to convey our most sincere apologies and make things right.
    7 minutes ago · Like
    formatCdrive: It’s pure discrimination against disabled people. A waitress is the representative of the company and there is no amount of apologies that your company can do to correct this. The CEO of the company needs to step down as he/she “IS” ultimately responsible for the actions of all the employees. Trying to hide behind a “franchise owner” is still no excuse. Shame on you all.
    4 minutes ago · Like

Like · · 4 · 45 minutes ago ·
    44 minutes ago · Like
    13 minutes ago · Like
    7 minutes ago · Like
    4 minutes ago · Like

64. make7acs says:

Zero tip and don’t go back. What exactly are you expecting to get out of complaining?

65. maratama says:

That bitch of a ‘waitress’ better watch mocking the handicapp…Mistress Karma could be watching. I would be all over the media, and the Children’s Miracle Network, who help children from all walks, with all kinds of health issues, including neurological. They are awesome people, and may be interested to know that IHell, throught their actions (or lack there-of) approve of their employee’s conduct.Not good conduct for a place that does yearly fundraising for them. The ADA is another one…This little girl needs to be taken out back, and taught some manners, the old fashioned way….the way that gives one something to think about as they are applying ice to their bruises. Little girls like this one are usually a self correcting issue…because they mouth off like this, to the wrong person.

66. 2 Replies says:

If there was nothing he could do “because he was just the night manager” then WHAT THE FUCK is he being paid for.
    If he’s trying to convince everyone that he’s incompetent and unnecessary, he’s doing a pretty good job. A better job than he’s doing as a manager, even.

67. Anubis says:

So, I’ve read some of the comments and the follow-up. Do we actually know that this happened? I agree everything written here is correct if this really happened. But we only have 1 side of what happened and it’s seldom 100% true. I just don’t get outraged anymore because I know that in a few months it could turn out that this is a pair of liars out to get something free or just mess with other people’s lives for fun.

68. Midnight Harley says:

That biotch needs to be fired. She stuck her hand in her face to quiet her? You should’ve stood up and called her out right there in front of everyone.