Verizon FiOS Retention Rep Called My Bluff. Now What?

It’s a common money-saving tip repeated just about anywhere you find money-saving tips. If you want to save money on something that you subscribe to (particularly cable TV), give them a call and threaten to cancel. They’ll slash your rate and maybe even shower you with freebies in order to keep you from walking away. Only a retention rep at Verizon called Dan’s bluff and wouldn’t lower his rate now that he’s out of his initial two-year contract. He’s prepared to leave, but really doesn’t want to. Have you managed to finagle a lower rate out of Verizon or another telecom? If so, how?

I was wondering if you or your readers had any tips for getting a better deal when renewing a contract for Verizon Fios. I signed up for a 2-year contract two years ago for bundled TV, phone and internet, and was given verbal assurance from the Verizon representative that once my contract expired, I could renew at the lowest available rate. The base price of my contract was $99 a month, and now that it expired, it has risen to $109 a month.

Verizon was recently advertising the same package I had on the radio for $89 a month for new customers, so I called up to ask for that rate. The Verizon customer service representative told me that the best deal she could give me for a 2-year contract was $109 a month. This deal would be exactly what I was paying out of contract, with the added requirement to pay an ETF if I decided to go elsewhere.

When I suggested that I would go with another company if I couldn’t at least keep my rate the same, I was transferred to a customer retention specialist. The retention specialist informed me that there was no way I could get any other rate than $109 a month, and acted as if I had somehow been freeloading off the company for only paying a base rate of $99 for the past two years.

My threat to go with another company was initially a bluff in the hopes of getting a better deal, but the customer retention specialist has made me seriously consider switching. I’d prefer to avoid the hassle of switching companies, so I was hoping you or your readers would have some suggestions for getting the rate advertised for new customers.

Comments

1. custommadescare says:

If you’re prepared to leave, then leave.

You can always try back in a month and get the “new customer” discount.

• spamtasticus says:

I do this with comcast every single price change. For six years I have only ever paid introductory rates. Rep: “sorry mr Spamtasticus but that price is for new customers only”. Me: ” i understand mam, no problem, please cancel my service.”

50% of the time: Rep: “ok mr Spamtasticus I will make an exception just this once, here is the intro price for 6 more months but after that we stop using lube”. Me: “sure sure, thank you very much.”

Other 50%: Rep: “sure mr Spamtasticus (calling my bluff) I will terminate your service now” Me: “thank you”. They cut it off and five seconds after it stops working I call sales and Voila! I have the intro rate.

• Skittl1321 says:

Wow, that’s lucky. All the places around here make you wait for a year before you are eligible for a new customer rate after canceling.

• consumed says:

Everyone is overlooking the obvious “new customer” clause defined as someone who has not had service under that same social security number in the past 90 days or 1 year thing. So it’s not as easy as calling, cancelling, and signing back up the next day.

• custommadescare says:

I’m sure YMMV, as I have a couple of friends that do this.

But I was referring more to the OP saying he was willing to leave, but enjoyed the service enough to want to keep it.

Besides, taking a month off and exploring other options may prove that they don’t need the service.

• tcm147 says:

This happened with me at Time Warner. They said my rate could not get any lower. I didn’t cancel that day my family & I purchased some parts and made changes to our computers. We now have netflix and a couple of other services pay about 30 per month and each tv gets 60 local channels. As well as being set up in media center to record up to 2 shows on each tv and you can view all recorded shows from any tv. When I called back and advised I wanted to cut the cord the rep advised that they now could reduce my cost. I advised I didn’t need or want them and have never regretted it. That was 2 years ago. But if you cant live without the service call back another rep will prob give you the discount you want.

2. dolemite says:

I read from some people that do this often (I’ve only done it 1-2 times) is you have to be prepared for them to call your bluff. They say what happens next is you’ll usually be contacted by someone higher up in the retention department about keeping you, but it might take a few weeks. They said if that doesn’t happen, get something else for a few months (I forget how many), and then come back under the new customer rate.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

I’ve never used Verizon but that is how it has worked for me for other companies. I don’t usually ask for a better rate. I just call and tell them I am canceling. If they ask why I say I can’t afford it. Sometimes I get a better rate on the spot, others I get a call back later with someone asking how they can make it more affordable. You just have to be willing to go without service for a while. DishNetwork eventually called my bluff and refused to give me a good rate or apply credit to make it cheaper. After I sent all the equipment back I decided I didn’t need TV service at all. After a few months they sent me a mailer offering better pricing than their introductory rates. I didn’t sign back up but it wouldn’t have been a bad deal.

3. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

There must be a new Retentions 301 class in colleges these days. Retentions specialists are hardly useful anymore. A Sprint retentions specialist was so rude and talked down to me like I was her long lost redheaded stepchild, which of course, made me leave Sprint anyway. Luckily I know my way out of a contract.

• scoutermac says:

I argued with Sprint executive customer service. I live in Indianapolis and there is no sprint service in my neighborhood. They offered me an airave. Great, but it requires an internet connection. When I complained they were piggy backing off of my ATT DSL their response was “no where not”. So I then said.. Then I won’t plug it into my ATT DSL. Their response then was.. “but you have to plug it in for it to work.” But it’s not piggy backing.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I had the same issue when I had Tmo a few years back. I have 3 places where I travel often, my house in south florida, my college in north central fl, and my house in Fitzgerald Ga where they did not have service. They offered a Airave (or they had a different name for it…) but told me I was not eligible for it since I was only eligible for 2 lines and I had two lines. Makes no sense!

• Jawaka says:

Lets be honest about this. It seems like everyone knows the drill. You call and threaten to leave and they’re supposed to cower in fear, give in to your black mail and give you everything that you want. Well the problem is that THEY know the drill as well and they know that 90% of us are bluffing and really have no plans to leave.

So what do you do? Don’t bluff. If you threaten to leave them if they don’t lower your bill then really leave. And yeah, that may mean that you might be inconvenienced a bit. This is the reason that they’re getting smart and calling our bluff, because they know that most of us are soft and won’t really follow through.

4. sirwired says:

Well, you can call and try again, but if the last rep was doing their job, he/she put notes in your account stating what was offered, and that you refused.

Sometimes companies want to put through a price increase, and they won’t cave. It happens. Because it’s such a hassle changing providers, they offer better deals to get you to switch vs. to stay.

5. RvLeshrac says:

There’s now a note on your account saying never to offer you anything again, because you’re not going to follow through on your threats to cancel.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, *EVER* do this unless you’re willing to go through with it. When you don’t, everyone at that call centre will spend the rest of the day laughing their ass off about the guy who called up trying to sound tough, who got smacked down by the rep.

• FashionablyDoomed says:

Yup. I’ve put that note on lots of accounts. I used to love calling people’s bluffs when they demanded ridiculous things. I’d put on my Super Helpy McHelper voice and offer to cancel right then and there. No retention rep required!

• shepd says:

I had that happen to me once. I cancelled, and I sent a nicely written letter to the GM for the call centre.

I was offered $150, an apology, and deeply discounted service.

I replied that I was still unhappy with it since they didn’t do what I had asked (fire or at least punish the offending rep as they were an ass on the phone). I took my business elsewhere. Their company folded 6 months later. Couldn’t be happier.

TSWM; (too short, want more)

Since someone will ask, here’s the details of the situation:

My parents had their service for several years. It was originally setup by me, their teenage son at the time, because they weren’t really all that clueful to figure out how to make microwave-based terrestrial-pay-tv work, and the company was a hassle to get to actually install the service. I moved out. After a couple of years, they cancelled the service. I said “Hey, I’ll take the receivers and get this service for myself.” I called them in to set me up as a new customer, and they did so. Once they sent the rep, after installing the service, they decided I wasn’t a new customer. I explained the situation to the rep, that I am a new customer. They refused to get it and billed me for a few hundred dollars.

The letter cleared all that right up. It was nice they offered $150 cash to join them again, but by then I’d decided they were too much hassle and just got regular cable. I haven’t turned it off since, and it’s nearing a decade. Too bad for them, I guess.

6. Here to ruin your groove says:

If you drop a threat like this, follow through.

If you do not you bring great shame to your family.

Seppuku is the only answer at this point.

• Kyle says:

I would like to subscribe to the RSS feed of your ‘blog. (That’s my 21st century version of the meme “I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.”)

penuspenuspenus is right. Dan, you need to learn how to play poker: the only way a threat like that works is if you have the better hand, and in this case that means being willing to walk away. If you choose not to walk away, Verizon has called your bluff and you don’t lose money but you certainly lose your dignity.

7. Coffee says:

I’m going to parrot everyone else here. Step one in going into this negotiation is being willing to go through with your threat. If you’re not willing to do that, you kinda get what you deserve.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah, and if you go into it knowing you don’t want to switch you could very well be broadcasting that your threat is empty without realizing it.

8. CrazyEyed says:

Verizon is notorious for calling you back wanting to know why you cancelled and will try to keep you. Cancel and you’ll start getting calls almost immediately afterward. You could try that route but who wants to cancel and sit there and wait a couple weeks without TV and/or Internet?

If you live with someone else, just have them call and ask for new service for the discount. I personally find it shitty for rewarding newer customers with lower pricing when it should be the other way around: Rewarding loyal customers with the best prices. But thats how these companies lock new business down. They couldn’t give a F*** about customers in the long run, so long as they have your money now!

• scoutermac says:

Very true. I had a Verizon Blackberry via work that was in my name. When I switched jobs I called and canceled the line. I am still receiving letters in the mail asking me to come back two years later.

9. homehome says:

If you’re not ready to walk then don’t make threats lol. The whoel point of a threat is that you might do it, if they know you’re not going to do it, then what’s the point?

10. Damage Incorporated says:

Got a roommate/wife/etc? Cancel and have them sign up for at the discounted rates. Did that for 4 straight years in college with Time Warner, rotating between roommates. After the 2nd time we called them and told them exactly what we were going to do and said save us both the time and overhead and just lower our rates. They said no still, so the guy came to disconnect off our cable and the next day was back to turn it on for the “new customer”…

• Here to ruin your groove says:

We tried that before. They demanded to see the lease to prove we just moved in.

• RandomHookup says:

Only new residents are eligible for the new customer rate? Of course, they sell template leases down at Staples for a couple of bucks…

• scoutermac says:

I plan to do this with AT&T. Just order it online for the “new customer” price for 12 months.

11. LightningUsagi says:

I once called Comcast to try and get a lower rate, and when they wouldn’t budge, I told them they could go ahead and cut everything off. The day they were supposed to turn it off and send someone out to collect the equipment, we got a call begging us back at a $30 a month savings. When the tech showed up, he didn’t really seem surprised that we had signed back up. He said that a lot of people call and threaten to cancel, but they don’t really pay a lot of attention until the actual cancellation order goes in.

• scoutermac says:

I’ve never been able to order Comcast service period. I called once to order just cable internet and was told that I needed cable tv or phone service in order to complete my order. Another time at a different address I tried to call and order just cable tv. They refused and said that I must order cable internet or phone service as well. I have always used AT&T because they have always been cheaper than Comcast.

• LightningUsagi says:

AT&T cable wasn’t available in our area until about 3 years ago…it was either Comcast or a dish before that. I’ve honestly never had major issues with Comcast, and I have them for my phone/internet now (and I only have a phone because the bundle cut the bill in half). They really tried to push cable on me, but I’ve been happily disconnected for a year now.

12. brendon says:

If there is one available, I would recommend heading to a Verizon Customer Service Store. They work on commission and usually can help out. One of the reps that I worked with, offered me a $10 credit on my bill for being a “loyal” customer.

13. brendon says:

14. MonkeyMonk says:

I had the same situation with Verizon a few months back except in my case they showered we with lower rates and freebies for signing up for another 2-year contract. I ended up dropping the cable portion and signing up for a two-year contract for just Internet and Phone. Saved me $60 a month.

Maybe try calling back and trying again?

Another option would be to threaten to drop just the cable portion (and go through with it if they deny your price requests). I’d be surprised if that didn’t get them to at least reconsider. I get at least 1-2 offers from Verizon a month now tempting me to come back for the full Triple Play.

15. chargernj says:

My kid hated it, but when Comcast called my bluff I dropped them. A month later I re-subscribed as a “new” customer with the lower rates. Seriously, can’t you go a month without? Think of it as a great time to start a new hobby or something.

• Marlin says:

Or better yet drop for a month and see that most of your TV needs can be had with over the air digital now and see how much you were paying for so little.

Then at the end of the month see you don;t really need cable and save.

• chargernj says:

There are alot of things I don’t “need” that I am willing to pay for. But I decide what price I’m willing to pay for it.

16. BoringCommenter says:

I got a good deal a couple years ago out of them by threatening to cancel just the TV portion. They know they have the best network for internet, but they want you to boost their subscriber number for TV as well, I basically got a credit for the cost of the TV portion. I later cancelled the TV portion anyway, and the credit stayed.

• BBBB says:

“…cancel just the TV portion…”

I have Comcast for internet and phone, but not TV. When I was paying my bill they had signs stating that if I bundle two or more services I would get better rates. When I asked about it I found out that TV had to be one of them or they wouldn’t give any discounts. They tried to tell me that I could save money if I added TV, but couldn’t tell me what the actual rate (including all taxes and fees) would be.

They won’t budge on the internet and phone price, but I found the only real competitor won’t give me any deal on that either so Comcast knows that any threat to leave is a bluff. [Comcast has poor customer service, but my previous experience with AT&T entailed willful deceit that got them fined by the Public Utilities Commission.]

17. Goatweed says:

if you dont want to leave, consider dropping extra services on your account – the movies package, for example. with Netflix/Amazon/The Internet you have ZERO need for those premium services. and you’ll save more than the $10 difference that you’re trying to retain.

18. Alan says:

I got nailed with Time Warner’s “Price Lock Guarantee” auto renewal. The price was like 3 bucks more I was paying so I was willing to let that go. Well time goes by and after just two months (just past the 60 day cancel policy) my 105 price lock guarantee bill ended up costing me 145ish. I called and called and made it a personal venda. After an EECB, with an article I planned on submitting here, they ended up canceling my two year contract and lowing my price to 78 for two years. It ended up jumping up 20 bucks two months later and I was able to talk my way down to 73 bucks a month.

Moral of the story… Keep calling and keep bitching.

19. kathygnome says:

You’re going nuts over losing a $10 discount?

Come on over to Comcast where you were paying $99 a month and how you’re paying $199 a month.

20. longfeltwant says:

Wow this guy pays four dollars a day for internet? I pay about one dollar a day, but I don’t have fiber so maybe it’s worth it for torrenters.

• who? says:

He pays $4/day for internet, phone, AND tv. That’s actually a pretty good deal. My dad pays $120 just for the TV part. Before I canceled, I was paying $103 just for TV.

21. Its_Miller_Time says:

What you need to do is cancel. I did this with Time Warner Cable when I left for DirecTV. I was gonna leave ‘em anyway and already signed up with DTV, but, they processed the cancel no questions asked. Within two days (on a Sunday, none the less), a local retention rep calls me and pretty much offers the world…

I still declined because TIme Warner ultimately does not offer MASN…

22. jojo319 says:

I always tell them I want to cancel a few days or a week from now. That way if they call my bluff, I can call back and tell them I changed my mind. Works every time.

• shufflemoomin says:

Works “every time? I think you might just have stumbled on WHY they keep calling your bluff.

23. voiceofreason says:

When my contract runs out with Comcast, I call them up and ask to make a change to my service. I tell them it is just too expensive now and I need to cut services…get rid of the extra HD box, trim channels etc. I always get offered a better deal to stay with my current set up. It may not be as good as the new customer rate but it’s something.

24. ScoobyVick says:

When you call, go thru the CANCELLATION SEQUENCE, not just go to talk to a customer service rep. That shows you’re serious about cancelling and they’ll make offers for you to stay (generally). What’s the worst that can happen? You go without cable for a couple days and sign up again at the $89 rate.

25. Costner says:

I did this to the company that provided my broadband… had they been willing to drop their price to match a competitor I would have gladly stayed, but they just acted like they didn’t care. So I cancelled… went with the competitor and I save about $15 a month.

Wouldn’t you know it – a few months later I get a letter asking me to come back and they are now willing to match the lower price – but they only guarantee it for the first year after which I’d probably be right back where I started.

The kicker is since I’ve had my new provider I have not had to reset my modem or my router even once. On the old company I had to reset my modem at least once or twice a month… so I’m much happier with the new company and it worked out in the end.

I’d tell the customer to try a competitor… he might find it is worth it, and if he wants to go back to Verizon later I’m sure they will be mailing him an offer to come back within 30-60 days.

26. Corinthos says:

When I call in I’m honest that I don’t want to leave but after this call is over then my next call to them will be after I have set up an appointment with another provider who has offered me a lower price. I’ve gotten my bill lowers every time… now once my wife did it and I came home from work without cable or internet for a week until they came out and reset it up. So now I just make all the calls to retentions.

I have worked in a place in high school with retentions for att wireless. Depending on how my day was going then I would think F stats and I would just let these people cancel and not offer them anything. I would say maybe 1 out of every 20-30 people I did that to would actually follow through with it. I would only give people who were nice on the phone anything. If anyone called and used the word demand or was going off on me then I wouldn’t do anything for them.
    There were no escalations in my department and they only listened to 4-6 calls of mine a month.Never got reprimanded for the way I was doing it.

27. kc2idf says:

Try not bluffing.

As much as I do not care for Verizon, I was actually prepared to go to them from Time-Warner when I called Time-Warner to get a better deal on my internet service. I made a point to tell TW that I had been their customer for 11 years, that they could count on me as a steady source of money, but that they had to crank up the bandwidth a bit or I would go to VZ who had better bandwidth at the same price.

I really didn’t want to do business with VZ, but TW didn’t know that, and I wasn’t going to tell them. That said, if TW had called, I would not have folded, because VZ did, indeed, have a better deal.

28. Stella says:

If you’re dealing with a CS person (Retention rep, tech support, whatever) who isn’t budging, it could be that they don’t have the authority (or they’re an @$$). Ask to speak to their manager. Escalate.

• Stella says:

Also, when I’m angling for a discount, I don’t threaten to walk. I generally call and say I’ve been happy with the service but would be even happier if it cost less. Always seems to work…

29. Hartwig says:

Verizon provides a great product, is it really worth it switching to Comcast over 10 bucks for less quality picture and slower internet rates?

30. LeonardoLeonardo says:

I’m in that same situation where I’m paying $104.99/mo., and I can sign a 2-year contract for… $104.99/mo. As tempting as cord-cutting would be, the same level of internet service by itself is like $85/mo., so there’s not a lot of savings there. I’m hoping that when they double their internet speeds in the next couple months they’ll be more receptive to giving me a discount for the 2-year contract.

31. ben gardners boat says:

As others have said, you need to be prepared to go through with the cancellation. Sometimes they just won’t budge. Call back to cancel, and go through with it. I believe they will let you schedule a specific date to shut it off. That way you can start arranging installation with your next provider.

I guarantee Verizon calls you back with a better offer after you cancel. RCN did so with me when I cancelled, but I left anyway.

32. kathygnome says:

I can tell you that I got a huge discount from Comcast and I think one of the big reasons is we weren’t bluffing. I was able not only to sound confident in swapping from full basic cable + DVR to basic/lifeline/localbroadcast only, but I was able to articulate that we had worked out the costs of adding hulu, netflix, and ordering anything else new a la carte on amazon.

In the end, the discounts flowed and they got it down to an amount we could live with.

33. stooj says:

I recommend calling different numbers. The last two times I moved apartments, it was an ordeal setting up service with Comcast. When I called the number I found online, I’d get one rate. When I called the number on the mailer, I’d get a completely different rate. Try calling as many different numbers as you can find, they don’t all connect to the same place.

34. MrEvil says:

Seriously dude, it went up by $10 and you expected them to NOT call your bluff?

Also, it seems like they aren’t even offering the $99/mo deal to anybody. (I’m not in a FiOS area so I don’t know.)

35. prosumer1 says:

He’s bluffing, and he’s gone farther than you. Now it’s your turn to take it farther and really cancel it. More than likely he’ll pull out to try to keep you. If not, hey, sign up next month to get the latest deal.

36. NJZoo says:

I would actually make an appointment with a competitor. If you are moving your phone service as well the competitor will have to notify Verizon of the port date and so Verizon will have it in their database and know that you’re serious. This happened to me last Summer. I was very happy with my FIOS service but the price of my bundle kept creeping up so I made an appointment to switch to IO and save about $50 a month. I called Verizon to give them a chance to keep my business and they came through with a $40 a month “customer retention credit”. I then called IO back and cancelled my service appointment.

37. jsempey says:

I’ve lived in the service area of Charter, Cablevision and Time Warner Cable. My experiences are as follows:
    Charter — They’ll claim they’ve giving you the lowest price and work with you to find a package that fits your price range. However, there was one time where I got the exact same package that they were running a promo on their website for, except the website had it marked almost $15 less a month. They’re disorganized and had a lot of service issues that they were not very apologetic about.

Cablevision — A lot of people say bad things about Cablevision, but I have very few complaints. When it came time for the NHL Playoffs, my parents didn’t have NBC Sports Network, a network that exclusively carried a lot of the games. The irony was that the New York Rangers, owned by Cablevision, were not on the basic iO digitial cable package.
    I called Cablevision and kindly told them I wanted to add NBC Sports Network, and that it was kind of odd considering Cablevision owns the Rangers that I had to do this sort of thing to watch the games. They very quickly offered the premium iO package at $20 less a month than what we were paying for the basic package. My parents will have that promo price for a year and then call back to try and get another price or switch back to basic. Regardless, they were very accommodating and I didn’t even have to threaten to disconnect.

Time Warner Cable — These guys had me considering Dish/DirecTV and ultimately I opted to only get internet and no cable TV package. I had a specific price range in mind and the sales rep simply put gave me about three options, all out of my price range. I was shocked when the base rate of these options jumped $20 after equipment rentals.
    So I opted for internet only, 10 mbs for $44/month after equipment rental. The problems weren’t over there, however. I had an 8 a.m. to 12 p.m appointment. I figured, considering I literally live 1 minute away from the Time Warner in town, they’d probably just get my simple appointment out of the way.They showed up at 11:50 a.m. and they told me they had no wireless routers in stock and that Time Warner would send one and install it then. It’s been a month and the only call I’ve gotten from them was trying to sell me TV. Awful job.

38. u1itn0w2day says:

Retains customers and/or full price customers is probably an evaluation category for Verizon reps. My guess is that they are actually rated on the number of discounted plans they give out. The fewer discounted plans they authorize the higher their evaluation score.

39. Skittl1321 says:

We tried the “we can get a better deal elsewhere” with both Mediacom Cable and Quest Internet (for Internet + TV + phone bundles), and both said “fine, go elsewhere”.

No one is willing to bargain.

We now have no paid TV service, or home phone. We pay slightly more for internet than with a bundle, but less overall I’m good with it.

40. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Verizon FIOS didn’t even bat an eyelash and try to keep me. I called to actually cancel b/c FIOS was so slow I couldn’t even download a You Tube Video. I got a new service which worked great. FIOS told me it was my computer. I told the person I actually had another service now which was working fine on the same TWO computers. They cancelled without trying to fix it, retain me, or anything else. I wouldn’t have stayed, but they just didn’t care about my business.

41. nXt says:

You’d be a big idiot if you cancel your FiOS service. No where else in USA has better consumer Internet quality and speed than on FiOS.

42. chiieddy says:

Never make a promise you don’t intend to keep.

43. soj4life says:

First, if you are nice, any rep should lower their guard. Two, the increase was only $10 per month. If they weren’t able to lower your bill, they could always add on a premium channel for so long.

44. baristabrawl says:

Yes. It’s $10. STFU and pay it.

45. Greggen says:

Meh, just call back. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get a rep that will give you what you want. I have learned that each call like the first time with most of these evil corporations..

I was fed up with Comcast three and a half years ago, they had lied about the service they sold me, lied about lying, and then accused me of lying. So I did the ‘I’m going to cancel’ thingy and was serious. Got to a retention rep who offered me a great deal, changed my mind, but sadly I was disconnected. I tried a few times to get back to retention to get the deal I was promised, but was unable to break through the Comcast customer service wall. So I switched.

Funny thing was, I got a call a week later, from Comcast, offering me the deal I was originally offered, but was too pissed off at their shenanigans that I told them to eff themselves and have never looked back..

46. omargosh says:

I tried this 2x with Comcast.

First time the CSR called my bluff and nothing changed.

Second time, I called a few months later after yet another bill increase, told CSR I was going to be laid off, reminded her that I had paid on time for many years, and that I never got an initial promotion when signing up. She said “let me see what I can do” and finally came back w/ a 15% discount for having been such a good customer over the years. That lasted for maybe a year before they raised prices once again, and the discount magically vanished.

So: keep trying, each CSR is different.

47. calchip says:

I have Comcast (not much choice in my area) and was moving from one address to the next. I wanted to get the “new customer special” to extend the good pricing I had.

The worthless people in the billing department said first, that would be no problem, then, no, it would not. I was transferred to retentions who said they absolutely wanted to keep me… and offered nothing.

So I contacted the corporate office, which resulted in a call from the escalations department. I got some really unhelpful, grumpy, and totall non-customer oriented person who told me not only was I not eligible, but even if I signed up for a totally new account, they’d notice I’d been a customer before and flag me so I wouldn’t get the discount.

So I emailed what used to be Frank Eliason’s group. Within a few hours, I got a call from another rep *in the exact same department* who was charming, nice, and without missing a beat said she’d renew my deal for a year with no problem. I asked why the previous guy was such an asshole, and, reading between the lines, it amounted to that the escalations group just has a bunch of assholes in it.

So there are a few good apples at Comcast, but way to go for putting your least customer oriented people in the department where they are most needed.

48. DerangedKitsune says:

Hee, reminds me of a call a friend of mine told me about from his work. He’s customer service for one of the major cell providers up here, and got this lady who didn’t want to pay this one one government mandated fee. It was like $1-2 per month, I forget exactly what it was for. It was NOT something that he could wave, period. She says she wants to speak with retentions, because they’ll wave it or she’ll leave. He made her aware of the several hundred dollar ETF and when she still wanted to, transferd her over.

Now, somehow this lady had been given insane deals in the past. She was paying $100 in services. No idea how she got all that, no way she’d ever get those kind of deals again. Anyway, the retention agent sees all that, asks my buddy to stay on the line when the customer is transfered over, verifies she wants to quit, verifies the ETF she has been warned of before, and hits the eject button. She changed her tune very quickly, that suddenly didn’t want to quit. Too bad, so sad, it was over.

We got a good chuckle out of that.