Burger King Gives Us The Bacon Sundae We’ve Always Wanted But Were Afraid To Ask For

Burger King, home of the Whopper and, at least for a limited time, the bacon sundae.

The AP reports that BK will launch the treat — which has fudge, caramel, crumbled bacon and a full piece of bacon — later this week, along with other limited time items.

It has 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar, but we’re guessing that these numbers won’t discourage the bacon-curious from giving it a try.

In addition to the sundae — already available in Nashville — BK will be offering the following through Sept. 3 (or while supplies last) :
— Memphis Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich.
— Carolina BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.
— Texas BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.
— Sweet potato fries.
— Frozen Lemonade.

Burger King bets on bacon sundae for summertime [AP]

Comments

1. Costner says:

Thankfully I don’t live in Middleborough, MA… because my only reaction to this is:

America….Fuck Yea!

2. wojonet says:

Maybe those Mayans were right about 2012 after all.

3. wade says:

Didn’t Dennys already do this for baconalia?

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Bacon Shakes, actually… and from what I can recall, they kind of sucked. Overly sweet and maple-y, with a lame synthetic smoke aftertaste.

• Golfer Bob says:

It wasn’t Denny’s it was Lenny’s….no I’m sure it wasn’t Denny’s it was Lenny’s….Lenny’s. Yes. I’m positive. Lenny’s.

4. Cat says:

I’m putting Memphis Pulled Pork BBQ and gravy on mine.

5. Nobby says:

Nom nom nom.

6. ovalseven says:

Not entirely on-topic, but… What’s the point of flame broiling a burger if you’re just gonna let it sit until someone orders it and then put it in the microwave?

BK isn’t bad when the food is fresh, but that’s rarely the case. Whenever I go, I end up with a microwaved burger and soggy onion rings that are so old the cooking oil on the breading is starting to turn white.

• Blueskylaw says:

Ask for a sandwich with everything but the pickles or
      something like that; they will be forced to make it fresh for you.

• RvLeshrac says:

You obviously haven’t the slightest clue as to how a Burger King preps a sandwich. Why would they need to run another burger through the broiler? They’ve got a dozen perfectly good plain burgers on buns in the warmer.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

more like assembled “fresh”
        the meat itself is [*was* as of the last time i worked there in 1994] supposed to be held in the warmer/steamer up to 20 minutes and assembled in response to an order. so the meat may have been flame broiled [from frozen hockey puck] up to the time limit ago, whatever that may be now, then assembled on demand.

• ovalseven says:

From what I can see, they keep the meat in little bucket until someone orders. Then they put the patty in the microwave and use that to build the burger.

• Golfer Bob says:

I use this trick at most hamburger places…order doubles with cheese PLAIN…usually get them hot and fresh with the little “special order” sticker right on the wrapper….

• benh999 says:

Yeah. When I pay a dollar for a cheeseburger, I can’t help but feel entitled to it being made fresh.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Move to Canada and visit a Harvey’s. You’ll be doing yourself a favor.

• ferozadh says:

As a Canadian ex-pat, I’m sorry but no one’s moving to Canada for fast food. Maybe for Asian food if you’re going to the west coast.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Fine then; find an excuse to visit Canada, then. ;P

• Golfer Bob says:

I worked at BK during my teen years and I tell people this all the time. Next time, open up that burger and look at the cheese. Chances are there will be thumb print right in the middle where the person who put the bottom bun, meat and cheese in the microwave picked it up and used a thumb to hold everything in place.

• Raider Duck says:

You can always order your food made fresh (“FOB” or “FOF,” depending on whether you’re ordering fish or chicken), but be prepared to wait 10-15 minutes.

• Jerem43 says:

Burger King eliminated the microwaves last year.

I know, I am a BK manager

• Jerem43 says:

They also eliminated the steame table holing units at least 5 years ago. They use the same holding system Wendy’s and McDonald’s uses for the meat, a sealed warming tray that keeps the meat in a pan of juice.

Sandwiches are made pretty much to order as well. Not cooked to order, but made to order.

7. That guy. says:

— Carolina BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.
    — Texas BBQ Whopper or Chicken Sandwich.

I’m interested in the differences between the two. Typically, I like Carolina BBQ because it has a vinegar kick to it.

8. Crazydog says:

Bah! Denny’s did this months ago, and if this is anything like Burger King’s bacon shake, it’ll be awful. Denny’s bacon sundae was delicious!

9. Blueskylaw says:

One day I’m going to try and round out my bacon diet
    with bread, lettuce and tomato. It might even be a big hit.

10. MCerberus says:

Taking a phrase from Hank Hill then changing a bit for my own uses:

You’re not making sundaes better.
    You’re making bacon worse.

• ferozadh says:

And to misquote Jack Nicholson from The Departed:

When it’s in your stomach, what’s the difference?

11. IraAntelope says:

what, no cheddar flavor?

12. redskull says:

This is why your mu mu is too small.

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

I might breeze in and try the sweet potato fries. Normally I stay far away from BK, but that sounds good.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

I love sweet potato fries, and it seems they should be pretty easy to do with big old fryers!

• RandomLetters says:

The Cotton Patch has good sweet potato fries.

• pythonspam says:

Yes! I go out of my way to frequent (more like prefer) fast food places that have Sweet Potato fries (like Del Taco). Burger King should dump the “onion rings” and keep the SPF permanently.

14. 2 Replies says:

Still have yet to find anything that beats John Howie Steakhouse’s Bacon Tempura..

15. RvLeshrac says:

This would be great, except for the fact that they can’t cook bacon worth a shit. The only bacon I’ve ever received from a fast-food place was some limp, rubbery garbage.

16. PadThai says:

mmmmmmmm… sweet potato fires. I’m a vegetarian.

17. SavijMuhdrox says:

There’s something going on in my pants right now.

18. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i [really, not kidding] make my own bacon sundaes at home. although i prefer them with coffee ice cream, which i also make at home
    the article doesn’t say and now i am curious – eastern or western carolina barbecue whopper? because while i prefer eastern, i cannot imagine most people do

19. some.nerd says:

Bacon Sundae sounds disgustingly awesome.
    Also…
    YEEEEAH, FROZEN LEMONADE IS BACK, BOYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

20. The Cupcake Nazi says:

NO. NO NO NO.

I’m not down on the idea, per se. It’s the concept of Burger King Bacon, which is always limp, thin, and greasy, in the sundae.

21. coldwatersrundeep says:

That is gross.

22. BlueHighlighterNextToACoozie says:

Hmmm well I guess it shouldn’t be fully shocking but still is at least eye opening that this is “While Supplies Last” I guess they got some big ol freezers but still….

23. KrizB says:

Pass.

Unless things have changed, Burger King has pitiful bacon.

24. Nyxalinth says:

Food and obesity wank mixed with self-righteousness in 3…2…1…

25. HomerSimpson says:

They’re not officially on the menu yet and very likely the people at the counter don’t even know about it.