Dress Up For Your Visit To Disney And You Probably Won’t Be Allowed In

A 15-year-old girl in Florida is making headlines because she says she was not allowed to wear her Tinker Bell costume inside of a Disney theme park, citing company policy against teens and adults dressed as characters.

The girl says she spent hours doing her hair, makeup and costume so that she and her boyfriend, dressed as Peter Pan, could celebrate his birthday at Disney.

The pair had no problem getting into Disney’s Hollywood Studios, but were stopped when trying to enter Disney’s Animal Kingdom, because her outfit too closely resembled those worn by the various Tinker Bells who wander the parks posing for photos with visitors.

“They said I looked too good,” the teen tells CBS’ Orlando affiliate.

Park staff provided her with clothes she could change into if she wanted to enter, but she tells CBS, “I didn’t want to take off the costume.”

A Disney rep explains:

The guests were asked to change because costumes that could be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character are not appropriate attire for our theme parks. The costumes were disruptive to our operation and possibly confusing to our other guests, as children were asking to take photos with them. To make up for any inconvenience, we provided them with replacement clothing and assisted them with the rest of their visit in our parks.

“They were talking how the little girls, it ruins their dreams,” said the 15-year-old. “But it ruined my dreams because I just want to be Tinker Bell.”

Disney’s reasoning goes far beyond merely ruining the dreams of children and teens. If someone enters the park in a convincing character costume, it seems believable — even likely — that other visitors might assume this person is a Disney employee. If that in-costumer person then begins to act in a manner that reflects badly on the park and the company, you’re going to have a hard time explaining to families (or their lawyers) how the Goofy that flipped off your camera was really just a guest in a really good costume.

So before you spend hours and hours putting together your elaborate outfits, please check the park’s website to make sure you won’t be blocked from entering at the gate.

Disney makes ‘Tinker Bell’ change clothes [ClickOrlando.com]

Comments

1. chefboyardee says:

You’re 15 years old. Grow up.

• CTrees says:

Why, by your age I was working three jobs! We had no time for such tomfoolery in my day!

• Blueskylaw says:

Stop posting and get back to baling the hay before I whomp you with my knotted plow line.

• chefboyardee says:

Ha. I’m actually just over 30. :) I’m all for extending your childhood, but if your “dream” is to go to Disney wearing a Tinkerbell costume at 15, you really need to reconsider what kind of dreams you have. By 15 you should probably be shedding your dreams of being a princess or a make-believe character from a fairy tale.

If you can’t understand their logic, and are upset enough by their (very well explained) reasoning so much so that you have to complain to the news, you’ve got problems. Understand that you’re trying to do something out of character (haha, see what I did there?) for your age and get over it, and yourself.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

By the time I was a freshman in high school, I’d already picked my college and career, and had *no desire whatsoever* to visit Disney by the time I was 11. I was mowing lawns for cash and had my first (payroll) job by 14.

I really despise how Disney has animated Good vs. Evil over the years (specifically that all bad guys had facial hair for a number of years). However, that does not reflect the company overall, and their stance on costuming only takes a little common sense. If you wanna cosplay, there are plenty of places to do it that are more appropriate.

• NickJames says:

What a sad heart wrenching story :( It’s ok man, it’s ok.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You gotta remember this is for children, who are too young to understand nuanced elements. They wouldn’t understand or be entertained by good vs. evil that is more adult. If anything, it might end up being rated too high for them to watch anyway.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Except that ONLY bad guys had facial hair. That’s teaching children something about the world that is plainly untrue. Bad guys were bearded or had goatees and good guys were always clean shaven. It’s oversimplifying good vs. evil and teaching children that you can person by how they look and not on the content of character. They got a lot of flack for it and the person that made that executive decision was eventually let go, ending the era of bearded bad guys (as a rule).

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Some great, great actors, inventors, artists, scientists, and national heroes decided not to “grow up” and instead decided to live the life like they wanted to.

You owe them for their contributions to society.

• Here to ruin your groove says:

Can’t wait until we find out what fantastic contribution she will make!

Let’s see… wears revealing costume to theme park (whines to media for attention when told it looks like an employee costume), has a boyfriend who willingly wore tights for his birthday…

Her contribution to society will be: Becoming Paris Hilton.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Hey, I’m not going to declare her the next Ghandi or Galileo, but that’s still no reason to say that we should all live by the same rules as chefboyardork up there.

• smhatter says:

Wrong. There are reasons for rules, and there are reasons for people to follow them as equally as we can manage. Society is a framework of those things. If you don’t like that, you can move far, far, far away from anyone who does, and do whatever you want.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I didn’t say society’s rules, I said chefboyardork’s.

Speaking of Galileo, he violated all the rules laid out to him, was chastised and arrested. But I thank him for it.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Yes, but I’m sure they would have had a much more mature reaction had someone told them that, while they may have a dream, right now it was more appropriate to follow the rules. That’s the point she needs to grow up on, not the costume.

• Jane_Gage says:

The rest are pumping your gas.

• chefboyardee says:

Heyyyyyyy mon! By the time I was your age I was the pilot, the steward, the ticket taker, the baggage handler, the navigator, the in-flight chiropractor, and me own co-pilot to boot!

Man, I miss that show.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Are you really that big a jerk?

• samonela says:

Aw man….what a waste of a first comment.

• Coffee says:

Everyone is bagging on your pretty hard. I have to admit that the first thing I did was scan the article for the girl’s age and get a little surprised when I saw she was 15. That said, there’s a 30+-year-old here who posts occasionally (Edicius) who’s in my G+ circles and frequently posts pics of he sweet-ass Transformer tattoo additions, so to each his own.

• Anathema777 says:

Personally, my reaction to the story was the same as chefboyardee’s. I don’t mind teens (or adults for that matter) who enjoy things that others consider childish. Hell, I’m 27 and I still enjoy Disney movies and even some cartoons.

However, when a 15 year old throws a tearful fit because she wasn’t excused from the rules, that’s when my “grow the f up” reflex is triggered.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Indeed. My “Grow up” reaction was triggered by her butthurt, not by the act of cosplaying. She’s old enough to understand that sometimes the world doesn’t work the way she wants it to, and while it sucks, sometime you gotta follow the rules.

• whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

I don’t think it was juvenile of her to have dressed up. But she needs to grow up and _stop whining_. Disney stopped her for totally valid (and actually quite flattering) reasons, and “they ruined my dreams” is really, really not a cool response. She’s at risk of growing up to be that idiot who was wailing “democracy died today” in Wisconsin.

• Kuri says:

Would I be right in guessing that you petition to have any sort of fan convention banned from your town?

• 2 Replies says:

There’s a difference between going to a con where you’re ENCOURAGED to dress up, and going to a theme park where you expect only EMPLOYEES (who represent the company and for whom the company is legally liable for their actions) to be dressed up.

• drblair says:

If it bans furries sure.

• rmorin says:

Please don’t bring your “furry” drama into this … you’re not going to win that argument.

• brinks says:

Exactly my first thought. Plenty of adults dress up, so it’s not that she’s too old for that, but she’s way too old to be whining about it. She was offered a change of clothes, so it’s not some massive inconvenience. Change, enjoy the park, and shut up.

• corridor7f says:

Yep. If she’s smart, she’ll use this story to her advantage and apply as a Disney character actor officially at the park.

It’s not that she wanted to dress up, it’s how immaturely she reacted to their policy.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

I used to work at Disney.
      There were adults who enter the park and change into disney costumes and pretend to be the character. If caught they were kicked out.

As for minors. I never heard of Disney stopping a minor from wearing a costume that did not cover their face.

• coffee100 says:

Yeah. Go back to school and be an accountant.

AND NO SMILING!

• pamelad says:

When I was in film school in Orlando, three of my college classmates and I were collaborating on a short movie. We chose Disney’s Pleasure Island as our location. It consists of shops and restaurants, and since there’s no admission charge, it seemed like a public place to us.

We got kicked out by Disney security officials because we and our equipment looked “too professional.” The Disney folks said guests could mistake us for Disney employees.

We were angry because we had already burned some pricey film and would have to start over in a different location. At the time, I didn’t get it. Now that I’ve grown up a bit, I can easily see the Disney viewpoint. Heck, they had no idea if we would behave appropriately.

I can also see why a 15-year-old cannot understand why she is not allowed to be perceived as representing Disney. Looks like she did a great job on her costume, so kudos to her for that. I hope she always keeps a playful bit of the child in her, that she retains her creativity, and that some day she will get over the disappointment and understand the reasoning behind it.

• piror says:

Damn, what the hell. No, she shouldn’t grow up. The world is full of miserable people.

2. RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Go during Halloween. It’s allowed then, from what I understand.

• kethryvis says:

It is but, at least in California, it’s an extra ticket buy. i went during the Halloween season last year and saw several adults dressed in costumes walking around the park.

Another tip: no masks. At all. Ever. Even as props for photos, the park won’t allow them. If you bring masks and use them in photos on rides, they won’t display your photo, and i don’t think they’ll even show it to just you if asked. Also, no gun poses. We wanted to do a Charlie’s Angels pose on one ride, but the cast member overheard us talking about it and warned us against it. We were bummed, but glad to be warned!

• kethryvis says:

Oh, i should note, the extra ticket buy isn’t for the privilege of wearing a costume, it’s because the park closes early during the Halloween season, and it’s an extra ticket buy to gain access to the park for those activities. i believe there are also rules about when you can begin wearing your costume in the park, but don’t quote me on that one.

• LuzioFantazmic says:

I went on Halloween a few years back. They let people in the park with costumes, but wouldn’t let them on any of the attractions, aka rides.

3. Here to ruin your groove says:

This needs a Bad Consumer tag.

• uber_mensch says:

I remember when it first opened in the early 1970′s and how they discouraged long hair ‘hippies’ from entering.

4. homehome says:

I understand why they would do it. It makes sense. You don’t want someone dressed as one of your characters, supposed someone did something crazy and was not an employee, but the person who thought they were got hurt, guess who would get sued, not the person, the company. This is the reaction to an overlitigious society. These rules aren’t made randomly, they’re made because of a reaction. That fact that the story is this big is weird to me.

• crashfrog says:

I don’t think overlitigousness has anything to do with it; no business is going to want people coming in off the street and impersonating their employees. Never mind the lawsuits; businesses want to control the presentation of their brand.

• homehome says:

That 2, but the potential suing do have an effect on it. But as you said a business wants to control their own business, as they should.

• VA_White says:

No, Disney has a lot of control over how characters interact with guests and the rules are very strictly enforced. They can’t control the guest experience if they have people tromping through their parks looking like the characters and interacting with guests in ways that may not be following their rules or otherwise inappropriately. I think getting sued is the least of their concerns.

• teke367 says:

Having a guest dressed as a character not take a photo is the least of their problems. I’m sure they didn’t want to say it because people will assume it happened before, but what about child abductions? Seems like a considerable risk in this type of place.

• adamstew says:

This exactly. Disney is very big on what they call “The Show”. When you visit one of their theme parks, it isn’t just a place with rides. It’s meant to be a show. Disney goes to some VERY great pains to make sure that the fantasy of the Show isn’t broken.

The employees that play the Disney characters go through some VERY extensive training, including the characters entire history, their demeanor, and mannerisms. This is especially true for the “face characters” (those that don’t wear a costume that cover’s the actual employees face.) The face characters are able and expected to talk.

Tinkerbell and Peterpan are both face characters at Disney. The main reason they don’t want people dressed in costumes that resemble their characters is because to the 5 year ol who would, understandably, assume that these people were the real Tinkerbell and/or Peter Pan, go up to them, and then have a situation where the illusion is then ruined.

5. Blueskylaw says:

A 15 year old Tinker Bell and her boyfriend Peter Pan. . .

Does this sound like the makings of the first Disney feature length tragedy film?

• CTrees says:

Eh, not really, but it sounds like the premise behind some fanfiction.

• Here to ruin your groove says:

I was thinking more along the lines of this is how creepy cosplayers begin.

• Marlin says:

If by Disney you mean a pedobear approved film then no, TO OLD.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Two households, both alike in dignity,
      In fair Orlando, where we lay our scene,
      From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
      Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

6. elephant says:

I’m with Disney on this one… I can see why they have these rules. The girl can still be Tinker Bell – just somewhere else – and maybe she can learn to be a little less of a drama queen if this event ruined her dreams.

• longfeltwant says:

Me too. The rule not only makes sense, it OBVIOUSLY makes sense. Disney employs people to be characters; having fake characters would be problematic.

Plus, this 15 year old sounds a bit entitled to me. “But… but… but… I don’t WANT to follow the same rules that everyone else follows!”

• Darrone says:

Yea, imagine if it was a creepy 50 year old guy dressed up as goofy without any kids NO ONE is letting him into the park.

• El_Fez says:

No childless 50 year old men would be caught at Disneyland. No, they’re all hanging out in the children’s section at Barnes and Noble.

• Velvet Jones says:

No, if she was Tinker-Bell somewhere else Disney would probably sue her for trademark and copyright infringement.

• thomwithanh says:

When I was in grade school in the mid-90′s, we used to go on annual field trips to Plimouth Plantation – the open air, historical museum set up to accurately represent the first settlement in Plymouth, MA as it was in 1620-1625. When the school sent home permission slips, there always used to be a point on there about students not wearing period costumes.

They even put it on their website, and come right out to say that while they encourage the enthusiasm for colonial history, they don’t want any visitors being mistaken for staff.

7. davegins says:

A boyfriend who wants to dress up as Peter Pan should be a big red flag…

• CTrees says:

Why? Michael Jackson had a thing for Peter Pan and he…

…oh.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Not all fancy boys are gay. Thanks.

• do-it-myself says:

Hilarious! I was going to say the same exact thing! +1

I had no intention of doing that at that age AND I’m gay!

• randomneko says:

I kind of doubt he made that decision on his own. Some women have incredibly elaborate plans for what they want. Elaborate plans where the guy is an empty suit for her to stuff a guy in. Good on him to play the role but I doubt he had any real input into the girls fantasy.

By the way, why Tinkerbell? Never saw that character as a role model.

I thought she was the jealous fairy. Never a real focus but more of a plot device to push the human children together. At least that is how I remember the movies. The fairy at first brings the children to Never Land at Peters request. Later in the film she throws cute little tantrums about how close the Female protagonist is getting to Peter.

Ah well I always ended up idolizing the responsible child in those films anyway.

• corridor7f says:

He’s doing Tink, ‘nough said.

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I have to side with Disney here, for the reason Chris cited. The family might have been given an exception if they called ahead however – at least I’d hope that’s something Disney will accomodate.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

nope, not at all. she could go to the downtown disney shopping area or the hotels but not into the parks. i’m not sure why she was allowed in the studios park in the first place.
      *background knowledge: 7 years experience working WDW guest relations*

9. MikeF74 says:

I’m going to have to agree with Disney here. People will get upset when this Tinker Bell doesn’t pose for photos with their children, etc. Disney is all about image, and they must maintain that image.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Also, if she misbehaves at all while wearing her costume in the park, it reflects badly on Disney. If she were to say something inappropriate or be caught making out with her boyfriend… well, I’m sure someone would object and assume that, since they’re in costume, they’re Disney park employees.

10. Cosmo_Kramer says:

File this under “duh.” If you wear a Disney costume to a Disney park, people are probably going to assume you work there.

11. TerpBE says:

If your boyfriend is happily dressing as Peter Pan, it’s only a matter of time before you have a bigger disappointment than missing out on Disneyland.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

rofl

It took a few minutes to sink in before I even thought of the boyfriend. High school boys will do anything the girls say. Poor guy.

12. jza1218 says:

Disney offered her clothes so that she wouldn’t have to go through the trouble of going back to her home or hotel room to change. That’s great customer service right there.

13. umbriago says:

Yeah, I can understand this policy perfectly. I dress as Captain Hook and when some little kid walks up to me, I offer to lick him.

Then it’s “One of your characters offered to lick my little boy!” and Disney has to say “that’s not one of our characters, he’s just a weirdo we let in dressed as a park employee and …. oopsy!”

So this policy is probably based on something like this that actually happened…because while I’m merely weird enough to think it, some people are weird enough to do it.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“I dress as Captain Hook and when some little kid walks up to me, I offer to lick him.”

Wait, do you mean lick as in ‘beat the crap out of’ or lick as in, ‘I see children as lollipops’?

I guess either one is bad, huh?

• CubeRat says:

I don’t think that Disney has had someone visit in costume and cause problems. I bet the rule was added becasue someone TRIED to enter in costume. Disney is imfamous for it’s control of their theme parks, but they are also imfamous for their security at parks. And they have always marketed themselves as ‘family’ and ‘G rated’, so I believe these very smart people saw the potential of pedophiles to try to access children at the theme parks. Now, I’d be shocked if they hadn’t caught pedophiles at their parks, but I doubt they were in costume.

14. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

Instead of providing clothes, Disney should provide her with a large yellow sign that says “NOT A DISNEY EMPLOYEE”

• I Love Christmas says:

That is what they do in Tokyo Disneyland. Well, a 4″ diameter yellow sticker, but same idea…

15. Karney says:

The title of this article is misleading. Disney seemed to be more than accommodating in offering additional clothing. The title makes it seem like one would be turned away at the door if dressed up, when in fact a reasonable workaround/alternative was offered.

As for the issue at hand, it completely makes sense. If you are ‘too convincing’ in costume and do something crazy, or even blow off a guest wanting a picture, somebody might misinterpret this as a Disney employee acting out of line and a different type of consumerist article may have been posted. “Donald Duck kicks a child at Walt Disney World, Shrugs.”

• I Love Christmas says:

The title of this article made me think Disney was turning away guests in suits and evening gowns…

16. RandomHookup says:

I’m curious as to the nature of the “loaner clothes” that Disney offered. I can just see racks & racks of baggy Disney-themed shirts & shorts.

• whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

As short as that dress is, she might have been able to pull off a decent look by removing the wings and putting on some leggings. But no, better to go to the media instead. WTH.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

it’s nearly impossible to obtain pants/shorts for sale at disney. i had to resolve a few guest relations issues with pants and they had to be fetched from far away. there are a few sweatpants available and some swim trunks, but almost no pants.

• RandomHookup says:

“No pants”? Kinda like how half the original Disney characters dress anyway.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yeah, donald duck isn’t that family friendly after all, eh?
          it’s for the money. t shirts/sweatshirts come in 5-7 sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL.
          pants come in a few dozen sizes. t shirts are higher value to volume when it comes to room on the rack. sweatpants are closer to “one size fits most” but if i had to deal with a kid wetting himself on a ride or someone who sat in seagull poop, we had to reach out to one of the sports themed shops to get bottom coverage

17. samonela says:

Go as a character from Song of the South. Then they’ll have to acknowledge that the movie actually exists in order to deny you entrance.

• Vox Republica says:
      • sponica says:

one of my favorite rides…and I’d be hard pressed to find someone under 30 who has seen the movie.

• samonela says:

This.

Try and buy the movie. You can’t. Try and get a SM ride operator (or any seasoned park employee for that matter) to talk about the movie. The conversation will be interesting. Be sure to ask, “why can’t I buy it? When is it coming out of the Disney vault?”

Plus there is no Splash Mountain at Animal Kingdom.

• Vox Republica says:

There are also no Peter Pan/Tinkerbell attractions at Animal Kingdom. Not sure what argument you’re trying to make with that observation…

• iesika says:

28, and I’ve part of it. The whole thing was never released on home video/dvd…for obvious reasons. The part I saw had Uncle Remus and the Briar Rabbit tar baby story, and that was cringeworthy enough for me, even at seven or eight years old. It really makes me wonder what they cut.

• Zeola says:

Nice one, I had forgotten about that film. Wonder if I can dig it up online?

• RockerGal says:

I believe splash mountain references song of the south

18. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Disney went above and beyond to make it right:
    “Disney park officials gave Spielman a free shirt and other clothing to wear instead of her costume. The company also provided her family with numerous FastPass tickets, which enabled them to skip the lines on rides they missed while the teenager was changing clothes.”

• Stickdude says:

So *that’s* the secret to scoring free Disney clothes and FastPasses.

Although, as a 6′ 6″ 41 year-old, I doubt I’d make a very convincing Peter Pan. :(

• j2.718ff says:

THIS! 100% Good job, Disney.

• mearow says:

It would be worth the trouble of spending hours getting the costume just right for the Fast Passes alone!

19. The_IT_Crone says:

I agree with Disney. I UNDERSTAND why the kids wanted to dress like those characters, but then anything those kids did would be blamed on Disney because the other patrons would not be able to tell the difference.

20. Velifer says:

What do you mean I can’t wear this blue vest to WalMart? it looks great with the thong.

21. framitz says:

I’m with Disney on this one.

22. theblackdog says:

I’m with Disney on this one, it prevents an issue of a customer coming in and causing an image problem for the Disney parks if they do something that’s out of character. Easiest example, I don’t think kids would expect to see Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Tinkerbell, or Ariel smoking a cigarette.

23. Scuba Steve says:

1. People dress up at all ages, not just as children. It’s called “Costuming”, and if its ok on Halloween parties, then it should be ok at other social events. Maybe you don’t get it, but that’s more a problem of people thinking we still lived in 1950 or whatever.

2. Going to a corporate event dressed as the characters is going to confuse people. Of course they’re going to turn people away. You can’t go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter dressed as Wizard students, You can’t go to Disney dressed as Princesses, and you can’t go to where-ever theme park marvel has (Orlando Studios?) dressed as the x-men.

3. A big solution to this problem (and possibly awesome publicity stunt) is to have a costume day at the park in question. Unfortunately most corporations in charge of these parks would nuke the world before allowing anyone to have some sort of creative control of their characters, and would definitely not allow it to happen in general. (Creative control meaning people might see people in different body sizes and shapes costuming characters, which might dilute the brand)

• TsuKata says:

Re: #3 – Disney does have days that adults can dress up, many of them. They allow it during their Halloween parties.

• Cyniconvention says:

” You can’t go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter dressed as Wizard students”

Considering they sell the robes, house scarves and wands, you can. Closely resembling the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang costumes are probably a no.

24. KitanaOR says:

“But it ruined my dreams because I just want to be Tinker Bell.”

I want I want I want. I feel super bad for her boyfriend.

25. Reno Raines says:

I’m surprised at the comments suggesting her boyfriend _wanted_ to dress like Peter Pan. I read the article and saw this on the news the other day and thought this guy was going to get pushed around by women the rest of his life. Figured he was putting it on a pedestal.

• theblackdog says:

He’s probably hoping he’ll get laid if he goes along with it.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Did you see her outfit? He probably agreed just so he could see her in a really short dress… He’s only 15 or so, after all.

26. tailspin says:

I’m totally with Disney on this. She should just hang out with this guy and call it a day: http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/

• Stickdude says:

I’m at work – there’s no way I’m clicking on that link…

• RandomLetters says:

I just looked it up on my iPad. Its okay for work but you still don’t want to click on it. Trust me. There’s an image now burned into my brain that its going to take a lot of tequila to get out.

• Rexy on a rampage says:

I don’t think it’s disturbing, but those people are demented beyond any help. His hair looks fake as well.

• Kusac says:

My eyes! These goggles, they do nothing!

That is MJ crazy, right there.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

LOL I looked. That is BIZARRE.

• Rootbeer says:

Jesus Christ!! I know that guy!! He used to go to The Castle (a night club in Ybor City in Tampa) and he would always wear that crazy costume and prance about like a fairy!!

27. We Have a Piper Down says:

I was a cast member at WDW in college (as a regular cast member, not one of the college program kids. I lived in Orlando and went to an Orlando school), and I saw people try this a lot. This was the late 90s and early 00s, so they weren’t yet checking bags and people would sneak in full costumes and change in the bathrooms thinking the maingates were the only places they would get caught.

I personally had to kick out Abraham Lincoln and Michael Jackson my first 6 months there when I was working attractions operations at Epcot. People are just weird sometimes

• RandomLetters says:

MJ was a Disney character? That explains so much…

• Vox Republica says:

Captain EO! The nostalgia… it… burns? Wait, no, not nostalgia, the other kind… oh, right, gonorrhea.

• j2.718ff says:

“I personally had to kick out Abraham Lincoln and Michael Jackson”

That alone made this article worth reading.

28. fsnuffer says:

If it was a boy dressed as Tinker-Bell they would have let him in in an instant.

29. Wireless Joe says:

I was not allowed to enter to a hospital when I showed up in my costume white lab coat, stethoscope and a shiny reflective disc strapped to my forehead. They said it would be “disruptive to the patients” who might come up to me and ask for medical advice, or to be operated on, etc. All I wanted to do was to live my dream of wandering around a hospital dressed as a doctor! They did offer me some loaner clothes, but I didn’t want to wear a jacket with sleeves that tied behind my back.

• mavrick67 says:

You sir get my nomination for best response of the day, thanks for the laugh.

• Stickdude says:

When your significant other talked about playing doctor, dressing up in a lab coat and going to the hospital was not what they had in mind…

• Craige says:

You hit the nail on the head here. No business is going to let you on their premiss dressed as an employee. This is even more definite when it is a public-facing business dealing with young children.

It has to do with more than public image; it’s a security and liability issue.

30. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

I can understand why Disney does this. If they let her do it, they’d have to let everyone do it. Next thing you know you’ve got a creep dressed as Goofy ambling up to kids saying, “Look, kids. I’ve got a short, pink tail in front, too! Pull on it for a surprise. Uh-huh-ah!”

31. jrwn says:

I don’t have an issue with this.

32. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

After furiously swishing her magic wand, throwing fairy dust in all directions, hand waving Jedi mind tricks, and projecting furrowed brow “happy thoughts”, TinkerBell came to the sad realization that she had indeed grown up.

33. thor777 says:

Next time I want free Disney merchandise (clothing), I’ll be sure to remember to dress up as a Disney character when I go to Disneyland :D

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

or just wear something inappropriate like a bikini top on a female [to a non water park] or a button down shirt with no buttons if you are male. although technically, the clothing on the opposite genders would also get you a free change of clothes but it would be a lot more awkward for everyone

34. Taylor Rolyat says:

Another completely understandably reason for this rule: Pedophiles. I realize she’s a girl, but what about any creep who wants to dress up as Peter Pan? Or any other of the (pointed out by another commenter) bearded and mustachioed Disney evil characters?

35. DoraAreGames says:

… sorry? Rules are rules, and really really having your heart set on something and it being someone’s birthday doesn’t change that. She should have read up ahead of time. We live less than an hour away from Disney World so we go out there a lot just to hang out (Epcot is best for relaxing) and entitled tourists are the worst… so you paid a lot of money to come here, so what? So did everyone else. It’s so frustrating to see people trying to act like they’re owed more or should be exempt… especially since Disney offered her front-of-the-line passes and clothes! Disney cast members are, by and large, exceptional, dedicated, friendly people, and I don’t know how they keep it up because I think I would snap after half a day.

Universal Studios and Busch Gardens Tampa have this same policy for their Halloween events. You still see people arguing at the gates about it though.

36. mrfantomhawk says:

My wife and I were going to disney for Star Wars weekend and wanted to wear costumes, I checked disneys website, and saw this:

General Guidelines
    Only Guests ages 9 and under may wear costumes into the Theme Parks of the Disneyland® Resort. Costumes should be child friendly, meaning they must be non-obstructive, non-offensive and nonviolent. The following are not permitted:

* Masks or makeup that might be construed as a mask
    * Weapons or accessories that resemble an actual weapon
    * Costumes that drag on the ground
    * Sharp or pointed objects that may accidentally strike another Guest

Halloween Time at the Disneyland® Resort Guidelines
    In addition to the guidelines above, the age restriction is raised to include Guests ages 12 and under. Also, Guests dressed as Disney Characters are advised to not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.

37. LightningUsagi says:

I’m not sure why this is news…I thought it was common knowledge to people who live in Florida. Maybe I only knew because I’m friends with lots of cosplayers.

• RedOryx says:

I only know it because I’m friends with an adult who goes to Disney several times a year, including Halloween, which is one of the few times he and his wife can get in dressed in costume.

38. florsie says:

What an attention whore. I think the Disney policy makes sense.

39. RandomLetters says:

To me a 15 year old dressed up as Tinkerbell wouldn’t trip me up. I would be able to tell the difference between her and an adult in costume. But a little kid very well might be confused. And no matter what she says, the magic is there for those younger children. They don’t see people in costumes. They see the real Tinkerbell & Peter Pan. And taking that illusion away from them is a horrible thing to do.

• Craige says:

It’s tough to say.

I’d like to think I’d know the difference, but I have a feeling it would be tough to tell.

#1 – All we know is she’s 15. She could be 15 and 11 months, meaning almost 16. That only leaves a 2 year gap between her and a possible “real” tinker bell (assuming the only requirement is to be an adult).

#2 – Given Tinker Bell’s character, I can only assume that the “ideal” Tinker Bell employee would be someone who appears as young as feasible.

#3 – This girl spent 3 hours on her hair and makeup. That’s a lot of makup and detail that will help conceal her actual age.

#4 – Some girls just appear older, while others appear younger. I know a few 20 year old that I could be confused for 16 year olds, and I’ve seen some younger girls that appear older.

#5 – Many of the defining things you would look for to tell her age would be either masked or not there entirely. Clothes and make up are usually the most tell-tale sign of someone’s age, and neither of these visual cues can be relied on here.

All that to say, I hope I would be able to tell the difference, but without a picture of her, and an actual Tinker Bell employee, I can’t be certain.

• RandomLetters says:

I’ll concede you have some valid points that I hadn’t first considered but they do go back to what I was trying to say and thats the that Disney magic isn’t there for her but the younger children that really believe that these people walking around in costumes are the characters they are protraying.

40. lehrdude says:

I wonder what would happen if she dressed as Sponge Bob or any other character from a company that competes with Disney…?

• Anathema777 says:

She still wouldn’t be allowed in. Disney’s dress code has on its list of unacceptable attire: “Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)”

41. Admiral_John says:

… and if she spent the entire visit to the park getting mobbed by little kids she’d be complaining about that, too.

Guess what, sweetheart? Sometimes you don’t always get to do what you want to do… it’s called being an adult, and it’s time that you learn how to be one.

42. josephpr says:

The comments at the ClickOrlando site (and the picture of these two) are much funnier and snarkier than these. Worth the click.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I went to the site but couldn’t get past the Mugshot Roundup. Wow.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Found it. Loved the comments – especially about “Pedo Pan” and “Skankerbell.”

43. Doubting thomas says:

Disney is all about their image. The rules and regs for park employees who perform as characters is astounding. It is perfectly understandable for them to want to protect that image. This girl and her boyfriend start making out in he park or acting inappropriate and other guests are not going to know she is just a spoiled princess.

I am also with the other posters in wanting to know if the boyfriend is extremely whipped or a closet case.

44. quail says:

Hmm. This has always been a Disney no, no. They don’t want the little kids confusing a costumed patron as one of the ‘real’ characters and they don’t want to risk the patrons being jerks while dressed as characters. And yea, they do allow dress up some certain days and for certain events. Halloween for one, and others like Goth weekend (yep I feel they’re both the same too).

• scoosdad says:

Goth weekend? Yup, no chance of confusing a costumed guest for a beloved Disney character during that event.

45. H3ion says:
  46. CrazyEyed says:

I can see the liability here. If she had dressed as a police officer, would people outraged over the disallowance of Tinker Bell, be the same ones screaming that Disney World is foolish for allowing someone to pose as a Police Officer? Quit crying girl, you are 15. I consider the park to be perfectly reasonable to offer optional clothing to mitigate any hard feelings or outrage. Guess it isn’t enough when you have to get the media involved because you can’t live your life-long dream of becoming a fictional character.

47. Kuri says:

Eh, I agree with Disney, she should feel flattered though that they thought her outfit was that good.

48. scoosdad says:

I’m willing to bet that even with things not turning out the way she planned, that the reception she got at the gate at Disney was more kind and understanding than what she might have received trying to go into another similar theme park or a mall, or store, or other private property while dressed as she was. Just a gut feeling on that, having observed how Disney treats their guests under any circumstance.

49. rstark says:

It’s all over the park policies that if you’re over a certain age you can’t wear a costume. If you can’t play by the rules then don’t go.

50. Torchwood says:

I read the rules, and I think Disney is avoiding a potential liability by offering a change of clothing. They can take their cosplay elsewhere.

51. dourdan says:

just like when yahoo ran this article- EVERY comment is in support of disney. i wonder how she ever got the media’s attention.

52. Torchwood says:

I lost count of the number of times, when I was a machinist, I was in the local hardware store to pick up stuff. People would come up to me for assistance, and I had to politely tell them that I didn’t work there, and couldn’t provide them with assistance.

The kicker: My work uniform did NOT even closely resemble that hardware store’s standard uniform. They had brown shirts and pants, I was wearing blue shirts and pants.

• who? says:

Indeed. I had the same thing happen at Sears once, because I had forgotten to take off my badge from work. It looked nothing like what the Sears employees were wearing.

53. Skittl1321 says:

This reminds me of the Improv Everywhere video where they all dressed in blue shirts and khakis and went to Best Buy. Best Buy didn’t like it either. They, however, did not offer a free change of clothes.

I think Disney went out of their way to be accommodating to a guest who was not following their clearly stated dress code.

• Dagny Taggart says:

I was in Target once and was puzzled that people kept asking me questions about where to find particular merchandise, etc. Then I realized I was wearing a red polo shirt and khakis.

54. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

She’s a drama queen. I can’t believe she didn’t consider that it might be against the rules. My nine-year-old wanted to dress up for Halloween at Six Flags and thought to ask me to get online to check the rules. And guess what? When I told her it wasn’t allowed, she didn’t throw a shit fit either. This chick does need to grow up. Not because she wants to wear a costume but b/c it was her “dream” and she acted like a two-year-old when told the rules. The little twit needs to learn about private property rules and that her sense of entitlement isn’t going to get her anywhere in life. She also need to to have bigger dreams in life than hitting Disney world in a Tink costume.

55. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yep, that’s the same standard as when i worked there. teeny kids: costumes ok. puberty and beyond: no costumes

56. shepd says:

So, if I dress up like a yellow price tag and casually enter Best Buy, should I expect they’ll be happy about it?

Some of them might be at first, but the moment I talk to a customer, they’ll realize why that’s a bad idea.

57. valthun says:

This is a consumer not knowing the rules, not Disney crushing the dreams of a 15 year old. Well they did, but that’s a side effect of not knowing the rules. Disney is in their right to not allow entry to anyone for any reason, and this reason is a good one.

There are events where adults and teens can wear costumes, but summertime isn’t that it. There are also conventions and other events where cosplay is possible. But to call the news because they refused entry for not following the rules is just fanning the flames of this girls “me, me, me” attitude.

58. ReverendLoki says:

I can see how this can be an even bigger deal than “You may be mistaken as an employee and you may make us look bad”. A guest dressed like that could easily get the trust of and abduct a kid that wandered a little from the rest of the family without a lot of trouble. I’d think it would be more of a guest safety issue than anything.

• Auron says:

I’m guessing you also agree with B&N for kicking out the 73 year old guy who was talking on his cellphone?

59. shufflemoomin says:

Why the F**K is she whining to anyone about it? Their reasons are logical and clear. They’re also entitled to refuse entry to anyone to their own park. They gave her an option that would allow her entry and she refused it. She’s to blame for not getting in. End of story.

60. vliam says:

Came here for the pro-corporate, anti-consumerist attacks.

Leaving abundantly satisfied.

61. 2 Replies says:

Ugh. It’s the girl’s fault. Disney was in the right.
    There are too many creepy lawsuits about Disney characters groping guests, we don’t need OTHER guests dressing up as characters too.

62. vliam says:

From the Disney website:

“What to Wear
    Proper dress is required at all Disney Theme Parks. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times. At the Disney Water Parks, swim attire with rivets, buckles or exposed metal is not permitted on the attractions. Wetsuits are not permitted on body slides.”

Where does it say “no costumes”?

• rstark says:

also from the page you decided to not research fully:

Q:What is the best way to dress for a day at the parks? Is there any clothing that isn’t permissible?

A: Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character

Link:

• vliam says:

Thanks. I already cleared that up.
        FWIW, to specifically address their rules, a 15 year-old is not generally considered an adult.

According to the other FAQ from the non-Disney site, a 10 year-old is an adult.

That’s f’d up.

• rstark says:

no, you cleared it up after 2 other people corrected your stupid ass. They’re considered adults because that’s the rate they pay to get in, not based on age. But, I’m sure you’ll look that up later and then thank people for information you had “already posted”

• Anathema777 says:
    • vliam says:

If you dig further into the site, apparently there is a FAQ that enumerates attire that is deemed inappropriate. It includes costumes, masks, torn clothing, revealing clothing, “obscene” clothing, and “objectionable” tattoos.

So, they’re well within their right to refuse admission.

It doesn’t make it any less of a douche move though.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

This:

Ensuring that the parks are family friendly is an important part of the Disney experience. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense. Attire that is not appropriate for the theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes but is not limited to:
        Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event)
        Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
        Excessively torn clothing
        Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
        Tattoos that could be considered objectionable, such as with obscene language or graphics

63. Outrun1986 says:

I am with Disney on this one, it is within their right to not allow this, and they made more than reasonable accomodations for this girl. They are more than within their right to protect their characters. Part of it is probably that costumes with long pieces and parts of costumes could get caught in rides and on things, so that is why they don’t let you on the rides, also parts of costumes could fly off while on the ride and injure those standing nearby and then they would have a lawsuit on their hands.

64. HogwartsProfessor says:

Sorry, chicky, you have to follow the rules. I’m with Disney on this one. And throwing a bawling fit because you didn’t get your way only makes you look like a baby. Go home and grow up a little.

65. iesika says:

…So if I show up at Disney in a costume, I get a free t-shirt and a stack of fast-passes? Win!

66. baristabrawl says:

Yeah…15 is too old for that. Please come to my house and TP it.

67. kathygnome says:

I’m with Disney. It’s not just their image in a vague way, it’s also that there’s an expectation of close personal contact between kids and the “characters.” I’d prefer that Goofy have had a CORI before he hugs our daughter.

68. wasabirobot says:

Disney was entirely reasonable.

69. human_shield says:

Breaking news: 15 year old thinks she’s 6.

70. human_shield says:

I am 100% for Disney on this. This would be akin to walking around Best Buy wearing a fake Best Buy staff uniform.

71. DCwiExplorer says:

I wonder what the value of a complimentary set of Disney clothes is worth? Probably at least fifty bucks. No word on the boyfriend’s outfit? Grown-up Peter Pan costume must’ve passed muster…

72. voogru says:

Blame the lawyers for this.

73. corridor7f says:

I first saw this as a newsclip and laughed my arse off. There are close ups of her pathetic pout and smeared makeup whinging about her “ruined dreams” and how long it took to get ready.

If she were 7, I’d buy it, but she’s 15, ffs.

74. lvixen says:

It’s a shame she couldn’t wear the costume but I have to side with Disney on this one. They have a lot invested in their image and what if some kind of pedophile got in and hurt a kid. We’re all grown ups here and we KNOW this stuff happens. They did offer her a change of clothes which I think is above and beyond for customer service. I would guess they also offered the change to the boyfriend. Personally I would wonder about his choice of costume more than hers.

75. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

“The costumes were disruptive to our operation and possibly confusing to our other guests, as children were asking to take photos with them.”

This entire sentence makes me chuckle. I guess no one clued them into the fact these characters are not REAL!!! Explain to me how anyone would be confused as to which of the 100 tinker bells is the actually one. I’m so happy people do not think before they speak…they make me chuckle.

76. thrashanddestroy says:

I was about to comment, then got to the end of the article where Chris summed up with exactly the same thought I had.

Now I have a new comment; why was this article even posted? Its discouraged to “blame the consumer/op” but the 15 year old girl was clearly in the wrong and somewhere in her teenage brain she couldn’t figure out why. Apparently misrepresentation is a hard concept for a high school sophomore to grasp.

15 Year Old Girl Doesn’t Understand Common Sense, Wines About It. Story tonight on News at 10!

77. coldfire409 says:

Disney’s policy makes absolute sense here. I don’t know if anybody ever remembered the time Disney was sued recently because some guest complained that Tigger molested her child in a photo. Now the CM was later acquitted and Disney was cleared of any wrong doing but can you just image what happens if a guest dressed as a character does something like that? Now Disney did more than they had to by offering a change of clothes to the guest.