Morningstar Veggie Dogs Make Triumphant Return To Grocery Shelves

I have to be honest: the last two summers have been tough. Like other vegetarians, I’ve been forced to make it through grilling season without access to the superior veggie dogs made by Morningstar Farms. They disappeared from store shelves in 2009 due, the company told sad customers, to a problem with sourcing one of the ingredients. The popular corn dogs returned last year, but the plain old hot dogs didn’t…until now. They’re back on store shelves, but are they any good? I set out on a rigorous research project, also known as “dinner.”

veggiedog.jpg

The bad news is that they’ve been shrink rayed. Now a box of six dogs, not eight, sells at the same price point as other Morningstar meatless wonders.

I cooked mine in boiling water instead of grilling them, so I can’t say whether they have the same blistered skin as the old version. They tasted close to my memories of the original.

hotdog.jpg

(Those are pierogies on the right, before anyone asks.)

They’re not exactly pure food products. The ingredients list contains the vegetarian equivalents of pig lips and cow anuses, items like “SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE” and “HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN.” They’re also still not vegan. But they’re awfully tasty.

PREVIOUSLY:
Morningstar Farms Veggie Dogs Disappear, Taking Vegetarians’ Dreams With Them
Morningstar Corn Dogs Make Triumphant Return To Grocery Shelves

Comments

1. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I am also ecstatic! 8 was too many for my family of two, but it would be nice if there was a lower price. Still, I’m just glad to have them back. Just in time for summer grilling!

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Coupon available on coupons.com…just sayin’.

• Laura Northrup says:

I also got two catalinas when I bought mine: a $1 off any two Morningstar products one, and one for $2 off my next purchase at that grocery store.

2. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Pierogies!

I hope you had sauteed onions and butter with them. :d

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Boiled hotdogs and pierogies — That’s about as Hunky as you can get! I wonder if the OP is from the Pittsburgh area. If there were pickled beets on the plate too, I’d say there’s an 80% chance it’s someone from either Western PA or the Chicago area.

• Laura Northrup says:

The OP is me. I’m from Syracuse, NY.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I wish Morningstar would bring out a kielbasa.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I wish I could eat the Morningstar. I am glad to know they aren’t vegan. I was eyeing them at Target the other day. I have heard great things about them.

I need to learn to make pierogies. I love them. Yours look awesome!

• CalicoGal says:

Mrs. T’s FTW!
              I am a heathen– I boil mine, and then eat them plain w/ a side of mustard and parmesan cheese.

Obviously, I didn’t grow up with them!

• Laura Northrup says:

Yep, these were Mrs. T’s. I do know how to make them, but don’t bother.

• pk says:

Tofurkey makes vegetarian Kielbasa.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I guess Syracuse is in the Polish belt too. :-)

I’m jealous about the pierogies. Every year, we’ll make about 400 – 500 of them over the course of independence day weekend (Nov 11th). We finished off our supply of them last month at a friend’s wedding. They’re so much work and so messy, it’s hard to get motivated to make them unless it’s part of an event.

• Foot_Note says:

go SU! (/Ratchester)!

• Laura Northrup says:

Olive oil and carmelized onions. Here’s the whole plate:

There was also a salad, but I ate it while waiting for the hot dogs to cook because I was hungry.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Vegetarians cant have butter as that is a meat based product from cows.

3. CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Veggie Hot Dogs???
    Why?

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Here we go. Let the vegetarian bashing begin.

No one is asking you why you eat meat hot dogs (although I have wondered why on that one for sure.) But, I think that if you think about it for a little bit, you can probably figure it out.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I think the confusion has nothing to do with someone not wanting to eat meat. It’s why someone who doesn’t eat meat would want to eat a simulated, low grade, meat product.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Why do you care? Is it your job to be the vegetarian police?

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

It’s more curiosity than anything. The idea of simulating meat just seems strange to me, kind of like non-alcoholic beer.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

No it isn’t curiosity. It’s you pretending you are curious in an attempt to start smack with vegetarians. I’m pretty sure every vegetarian has been through this song and dance many, many times. Meat eaters feigning “curiosity” by asking inflammatory questions and challenging our choice to eat fake meat products to start some sort of argument. Then tons more people come in and join in on the “let’s gang up on the vegetarians.” It’s an old worn out act. Seriously, don’t you have a kitten to kick somewhere?

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

No, it’s just curiosity. My research in grad school was based on climate change and the resulting changes in human subsistence patterns during the Late Neolithic in the Carpathians; specifically, the role of lactose tolerance and the use of herd animals vs. horticulture.

Though, to be honest, your angry tirades and walls-of-text are kind of entertaining.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m releasing years of pent up anger b/c of omni’s constantly being obsessed with the diets of vegetarians and harassing us . I have a lot to say. Glad I can be of entertainment to you.

• Laura Northrup says:

Black bean veggie burgers fall apart on the grill.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

There’s plenty of confusion as to why people find it necessary to assume they know better than nature what they should be eating…

…but the other point is well-taken. Why is it that people who are irrationally against eating meat insist on trying to make non-meat food look/taste like meat? Either you want to eat meat or you don’t.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Why are you and people like you so threatened by vegetarianism that you all have to come in literally on every single article that mentions vegetarianism and start challenging our choice and crapping on us? I have never seen a more vicious group of people in my life as meat eaters who stumble on any article having to do with vegetarianism. Not only that, but you come in and ask the exact same tired questions every single time. No one is hurting you and it isn’t your business. No one owes you an answer. No one has to explain themselves. Get a life and worry about yourself.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

You sound like the only one who is threatened here.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

You sound like the only moron here.

What’s with the insults?

• axhandler1 says:

Seriously. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and needs to chill out.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

People who’s lives are based around irrationality can hardly be expected to behave in a rational manner. Deciding that nature was wrong when it evolved the human animal to be an omnivore is a wildly irrational decision. When you know, deep down, that you’re actually wrong, all you can do to defend your position is to lash out at others.

• The Cosmic Avenger says:

I’m a meat-eater, and therefore rational in your little world, and I think you’re a raving ass.

Thank you.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Not being a vegetarian doesn’t mean you’re not irrational in other ways. Logic fail.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

And you are a decent human being apparently too.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

There is no right or wrong with human diets.

Humans can survive on an incredibly wide range of food, ranging from entirely plant-matter to all meat. We wouldn’t be able to live in virtually every climate if it weren’t for this fact.

It’s kind of like when people claim that it’s unnatural for humans to drink milk or eat dairy, ignoring the fact that if it weren’t for the lactose tolerance mutation, human history would have been significantly different (esp. in central & eastern Europe).

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I try to stick with this logic myself. I see diet as being about personal preferences and choices. It is possible to eat a healthy balanced diet eating a variety of different ways. My best friend eats quite a bit of meat and cheese, along with plenty of fruits and veggies and her cholesterol is 140, she is fit and in great health. Similarly with me, my doctor monitors my nutrients (I have blood work every three months) and my health has improved drastically since I went vegetarian and then vegan. I had some vitamin deficiencies, high cholesterol, and significant weight issues while eating an omni diet. Now, I am getting all I need b/c I eat way more fruits, veggies, whole grains, and beans. I have also lost almost 30 lbs. I didn’t start doing this for my health, but for me, it has helped a great deal. My husband lost 40 lbs and is now a normal weight, and his blood pressure went from high to normal. He is also an avid runner and says eating so healthily has given him more energy. Our doctor is thrilled and has told us to keep it up. My friend eats one diet and is healthy, we eat another and are also healthy.

I try not to go around judging people as being one way or another because of their diet. Most logical people know that there are many aspect in life that determine whether someone is rational or irrational, moral or immoral, etc… Diet is not an indicator of any of those.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

You are making me wear out my ‘+’ and ‘1’ keys, but +1 anyway.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

FYI, you lose weight because you starve your body of what it needs to maintain weight.
                      Every diet needs a balance to sustain a certain weight.
                      If you were overweight from eating meat, then you ate too much food.
                      If you are drastically losing weight from being vegan, you probably are starving your body of key things it needs thus the weight loss.
                      Eventually you will have to change your diet, eat meat again or take supplements or you will lose too much weight and get sick.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

By using the word “defend” in your post you are admitting that you are indeed trying to start an argument that would make vegetarian feel the need to “defend” themselves. I’m not sure why you care so much. It’s kind of weird to be so obsesses with other people’s food choices. Luckily, I don’t have to defend myself or my choices. I can eat or not eat whatever the hell I want and I don’t have to defend that to you or anyone else.

I’ve just been through this same song and dance so many times (as most of us have.) I finally realized that it is a waste of my time and energy because it’s nothing more than a game to some omnis. You aren’t coming in and asking these questions because you are curious, as you said, you are doing it to put veggies on the defensive. I won’t play that game.

• Bladerunner says:

I’m glad that you live such a rational life. How is it, being naked on the savannah? Oh, you aren’t naked on the savannah? Did you decide you know better than nature, who did not evolve us to wear clothes?

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

That makes no sense. Clothes have a rational utility for humans.
                      It is rational to eat things that are healthy, nutritious, and good for you. (that is meat and vegetables)
                      It is irrational to say you wont eat a certain food not because it is bad, but because you have some irrational fear or irrational moral feeling.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Why? Because I’m sick of meat eaters coming in to anything having to do with vegetarianism and asking stupid questions and trying to “challenge” us. It gets old. I have never in my life read an article about anything vegetarianism where meat eaters did not invade it and start challenging our choices. Never. Give it a rest. We don’t have to justify our choices to you or anyone else. These questions are not simple curiosity. They are an attempt to try to make vegetarians feel or look stupid. They are an attempt to inflame people and start arguments. I’m just dishing it back.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Wow, I’m amazed anyone can get so upset about something like this.

Many of us are just intrigued by these types of things. There’s no judgement, just curiosity. I’m shocked that there is a market for non-alcoholic beer too. I’m genuinely curious what the market demographics are for it.

• chgo_liz says:

You’re not the first person to use every single excuse you’ve just used on this thread. Trolls like you are boringly predictable. The only reason to answer is for the many silent readers who might actually be interested in learning more.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

And, you still didn’t answer my question. You threw out a straw man about me feeling threatened to take the focus off the fact that you can’t answer my question. I’m not the one who is coming in on an article meant to help vegetarians and asking ridiculous tired old predictable questions. You are. It’s so sad that people like you are so negative that you have to take a positive article about soy meat and turn it into bashing the choices of others so that you can justify your own choices. But if you can’t even be a human being and stop harassing innocent people about their personal choices, then you have way bigger issues to deal with than vegetarian hot dogs.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

+1. Again.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

You know, every time I tell someone I am a vegetarian, their first response is, “as long as you don’t shove it down my throat!”. I have NEVER met a vegetarian that did that. Every single vegetarian I know is just making a choice for themselves. I, and everyone I know, will sit down to a meal with someone eating meat, I have never lectured anyone on what they should be eating.

I have come to the conclusion that some meat-eaters have a deep-seated guilt about eating meat, and that’s why their instant knee-jerk reaction is that someone is going to call them on it. I know that while I was growing up, I always had a deep-down guilt for eating meat, but I pushed it to the back of my mind. I suspect that others are the same. It’s the only reason I can come up with for this vitriol.

And yes, I do eat things that look like meat. I miss having a hot dog. I didn’t give up meat because I am repulsed by the taste or the shape of it. It was for moral reasons.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Same here. I don’t understand meat eater’s obsession with our diets. It literally becomes the center of conversation 60% of the time I go out to eat with someone or am at a meal with meat eaters. Some of the time, people are trying to defend themselves and their choices, like I am sitting there judging their every bite. And, I don’t bring it up at all–ever. I make it a point not to talk about it because I get sick of talking about it. I try to change the subject b/c I seriously don’t want to talk about it. My diet is not the center of my world and I am not interested in talking about it exhaustively with omni’s unless they are seriously considering becoming a vegetarian and want advice or something. I literally never ask omni’s about their diet. I never challenge their meat eating or even acknowledge it, ever.Honestly, what people eat is their business. Just b/c I feel bad about eating meat and dairy doesn’t mean that I expect others to feel the same way. I wouldn’t try to force that on someone the same way that I don’t want others to force their beliefs on me (like Christianity for example.) I am not out to change the world or judge meat eaters. I just want to eat in peace.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Because telling someone you dont eat meat is like saying you are scared of the dark as an adult.
                  It is irrational and it is human nature to help people get over their irrational, not logical fears.

• JennQPublic says:

No, some militant vegetarians do make a big deal about it, try to convert others, and generally make a nuisance of themselves whenever it’s meal time. They are the minority, but they are incredibly annoying. You run into just one of them, they color your view forever.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

The problem with vegetarians is they are too damn picky and expect everyone to accommodate them.
                You invite them over to dinner and they have a list of restrictions like they are some kind of sick kid.
                You try to go out to a restaurant, but the vegetarian person says no to everything everyone else wants to go to because they dont serve vegetarian meals.
                Vegetarians are the only people I know (besides sick people that have medical reasons) that cant eat any food most restaurants prepare. They are picky over irrational fears and make meal time a damn complicated ordeal when no one else wants to spend hours trying to plan a simple lunch.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

No one is threatened by vegetarians.
              They are threatened by irrational people that do weird picky things out of irrational made up fears. These people are scared of killing animals, but they are not scared of killing plants. The irrational stupidity of people we have to live with is threatening.

• RedOryx says:

Right. We *don’t* want to eat meat. So we eat the faux meat.

• Brave Little Toaster says:

“Because we made this “irrational” decision, we can’t enjoy a hot dog or hamburger every now and then? Our meat-eating family is having a cook-out and, what, we have to starve?”

First – I wouldn’t say being a vegetarian is “irrational”. Second, well, yeah, if you want to be a vegetarian, you *can’t* enjoy a hot dog or a hamburger. Because those are made of meat. If you’re having a cookout, put a big portabella mushroom on the grill then put it on a bun. Not imitation meat and still vegetarian. There are lots of vegetable-based cookout-friendly dishes that aren’t imitation meat so the argument that you would starve is a bit much.

I respect the decision to be vegetarian, to each his own, but it has always baffled me why people who don’t like meat would make a product that looks/acts/tastes like meat. Perhaps someone can explain. I suppose if you like the taste and gave it up for moral reasons – this is close? But still, I’m not sure making an imitation of the thing you are opposed to is a great display of your moral choice.

• The Cupcake Nazi says:

Bingo. And I have to agree. If you don’t eat meat, why do you want your food to look and taste as much like meat as possible? It doesn’t make any sense, and seems rather hypocritical.

• SerenityDan says:

Because I gave up meat for moral reasons but I still miss it and loved hot dogs?

Moral reason, huh??
            Morally humans need to eat meat to live.
            I dont understand what you mean by moral reasons??
            What about all the plants you kill? You cut them and they bleed just like any other organism.
            Just because plants dont make a noise we can hear it is OK to murder them??
            People make no sense.

• SerenityDan says:

I could never kill an animal that’s what I meant by moral reasons.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

How can you kill plants??
                They give us air to breath.
                Just because you cant hear them scream you think they dont feel pain???

• MsEllenT says:

Breathe. BREATHE. That’s the word you’re looking for. BREATHE, not breath.

Your trolling is entertaining, but your lousy spelling & grammar are hurting my head. Proofread sometime.

• AstroPig7 says:

Morally humans need meat to live? Huh? What leads you to believe this bit of nonsense?

• dks64 says:

You’re a boring troll.

• JennQPublic says:

It’s great that we in the first world have the luxury of obtaining our nutrition from plant products and vitamin supplements, but I think a more useful approach is to eat locally, sustainably and ethically produced foods of all kinds whenever possible.

• chgo_liz says:

“If morality is your main concern, you may want to take into account the deforestation caused by soy farming, the number of animals killed mechanically harvesting grains, and the inordinate amount of resources used in the transport and production of heavily processed foods like this.”

The vast majority of soy (and corn) farming is for animal feed prior to slaughter. If you care about deforestation, animals killed during the process of making food, and environmental impact, you would stop eating meat immediately. But you don’t actually care about that.

• JennQPublic says:

It’s cute how you conveniently skipped over the part where I said to eat “locally, sustainably and ethically produced foods of all kinds”. Animals fed soy that was grown on the other side of the planet aren’t terribly sustainable, now are they?

And I care enough about it that I started raising my own meat.

• rmorin says:

So you are morally against meat and meat products but openly consume meat facisimilies and by proxy promote the normalization of eating meat.

That’s like saying your vegan and wearing a faux leather belt. You are buying into the normalization of things that you oppose.

• rmorin says:

• shepd says:

If you can find me the “hot dog” on any animal without making a juvenile joke of it, you win.

Otherwise, hot dogs are about as far away from meat as you can get while still being actual meat. They’re even further away than trying to find the nuggets on a chicken, or the fingers on a fish, since they’re typically many, many different animal species mushed together.

• rmorin says:

What a dumb counter argument. Hypocrisy is okay with certain amounts of meat but not others? Why bother responding with something that makes so little sense?

• shepd says:

I think you’re the one not understanding.

Hot dogs don’t look like meat. Real ones are made of meat (well, sometimes mostly), but if you saw one for the first time, I bet you wouldn’t have guessed it.

It’s not a steak or a chicken breast or some other easily recognizable as meat item. The smell might give it away, but then again, I’ve had plenty of sad cheap hot dogs that smelled less like shoes and more like rotten garbage.

At least to me, a hot dog is as obviously meat as a Popsicle is obviously water. Unless you touch it and eat it, both don’t seem to be what they are made of.

I guess it’s a subjective opinion that you don’t share. That’s okay, but no need for the hyperbole.

• chgo_liz says:

“why someone who doesn’t eat meat would want to eat a simulated, low grade, meat product”

Yeah, that’s what a lot of people, including omnivores, think about people who eat hot dogs, which are the epitome of a “simulated low grade meat product”.

Vegetarian hot dogs and hamburgers are convenience foods when eating with omnivores. All the condiments and side dishes can be the same, so it’s the least amount of bother for the host to accomodate all guests.

Besides, they have a lot fewer “low grade” ingredients. You’d be surprised how many omnivores voluntarily choose veggie hotdogs and hamburgers for health reasons as a result.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Whats the point of making hot dog shaped ground up vegetables, when you can just get a normal hot dog with meat?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i’m a carnivore and i still don’t eat meat hot dogs. blech

• pk says:

My family is mixed vegetarians and meat-eaters. Together, we can enjoy grilling hot dogs on “hot dog night” because of products such as this. Why the f*ck would you have a problem with that? It’s really not that baffling.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Where did he indicate he has a problem with it?

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

I dont have a problem with it.
        I just cant understand why put the veggies into a hot dog shape??
        Whats the point?
        Why not just eat normal hot dogs with meat?

• pk says:

“Why not just eat normal hot dogs with meat?”

Because I don’t eat meat. DUH

• RedOryx says:

Because we don’t eat meat.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

If you dont eat meat you will eventually die from lack of nutrition.
            You cant get everything your body needs from plants.
            Why would you slowly kill yourself?

• RedOryx says:

Vegetarian =! just plants in my diet.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Vegetarian = you only eat vegetables.
                If you eat any meat products you are not a vegetarian.

• RedOryx says:

Eggs are not vegetables.

Beans are not vegetables.

Whole grains are not vegetables.

I do not eat meat but I’m also not eating raw salads for every single meal, so please, STFU about a subject you have absolutely no knowledge of.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Um beans and whole grains ARE editable parts of plants so they are vegetables.
                    Fruits and Grains are just more specific terms than the word vegetable.
                    Not all vegetables can be called fruits and grains, but all fruits and grains can be called vegetables. If the three words are used together (like in a food pyramid) it is understood that you use the word vegetables to mean what does not fit into fruits and grains.
                    Now the word vegetarian is used by the generic definition of vegetable to mean eating only editable parts of plants only.

You simply dont make any sense.

• pk says:

Wow, you’re ignorant.

• AstroPig7 says:

Hmm. 16 years without meat, and I’m healthier than ever. Where did you get your information?

• shepd says:

You know, *I* am usually the one making that argument, but I’m intelligent enough to know it is fully possible to get all your nutrients from vegetables.

It is just a _lot_ more complicated then chowing down on a tasty steak.

• JANSCHOLL says:

35 years vegetarian and I am training for a marathon. I believe my diet is why I am alive and not dead like my meat eating relatives (all dead of colon cancer, which has link to meat eaters).

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

So you think humans exist today because we did not eat meat?
                Sorry you being a vegetarian means nothing for how long you lived, but I have a feeling you do eat meat products like gelatin, milk, cheese, etc

• SBR249 says:

That is actually false. What humans cannot synthesize de novo within our bodies are the essential amino acids of which I believe there are 8. That means some part of our diet must contain these amino acids which can be found in meat and plant products. Everything else, the carbohydrates, the fats, the other amino acids, even nucleotides we can synthesize or transform from anything that is consumed. There is no scientific proof that meat *must* be a part of the human diet.

• Kisses4Katie says:

Yes! I’ve also heard that a human digestive tract is actually too long to process meat. It putrefies in the gut. Plant and veggie matter get processed normally, however.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Did you choose your username for the irony, or are you not getting it on purpose?

• JennQPublic says:

I asked the same thing in front of a vegetarian recently, also not understanding why one would give up a product and then try to simulate it with something else. Fortunately she isn’t a militant enough vegetarian to jump down my throat about it and start yelling at me for questioning her life choices. *ahem*

Her explanation was that she’d had to give up meat because of digestive issues, and she still misses it, so eats meat substitutes when the craving gets too strong. She doesn’t find them an adequate substitute, either. :-(

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Because some of us were told by a doctor to lower our cholesterol and lose weight or we’d die and we really are all Honey Badger about the moral implications of eating meat. These products make that transition much, much easier.

• RedOryx says:

After reading through some of your other comments, at this point I’m convinced you’re just trolling.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

I still dont get why people are scared of meat.

• RedOryx says:

Again: you *really* need to change your username.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

People with common sense dont have imaginary fears of eating animals.
            They eat what is practical, healthy, and good for them.
            Picky and paranoid eaters like those that only eat vegetables lack common sense.

• RedOryx says:

Do you know what is practical, healthy, and good for you? VEGETABLES.

Also, show me one person in this entire thread who has said they have gone vegetarian out of a fear of meat.

So is MEAT!

• Kisses4Katie says:

All right, obvious troll is obvious (Common Sense), but I just wanted to say that I kinda have a fear of meat. Not only are my reasons for not eating it mainly ethical, but as I was growing up eating burgers, hot dogs, and nuggets, I was constantly finding ‘something’ in my food. A vein in a nuggets, a bit of bone in a burger, some big gristle in the hot dogs… and so yes, it made me start picking my meat apart because seriously, that shit is nasty in your mouth. After it happens every time you eat meat, you start to look into other eating habits. Which lead me to books about the ethical reasons, which just sealed the deal. So even though I really shouldn’t reply to this, I am disgusted 100% with the meat industry.

• JennQPublic says:

Burgers, nuggets, and hot dogs are not good examples of meat. I’m sure if you ate a lot of ground-up leftover ‘bits’ from veggies, you’d find odd stuff in them, too.

• Sad Sam says:

Because they are yummy and you don’t have to kill cows or pigs in order to enjoy them.

Seriously, fake sausage (the breakfast kind) is better than the real kind according to my meat eating husband. He also regularly eats my Boca Italian Sausage (fake meat) b/c he finds them so tasty.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

So its OK to kill plants but not OK to kill animals?? WTF is that kind of logic??
        Who are you to say which form of life is more valuable than another??
        Plants give us air to breath, animals are here for food.

• Kisses4Katie says:

Yes! Morning Star sausage is delicious. And no nasty gristle surprises in the middle…. or worse… :( (I’ve had a whole vein in my processed food before. Ask me why I don’t eat meat, lol)
        And to Common Sense, I’ve actually thought about that. Is there something a human can survive on that is not animal or vegetable? Some kind of just mineral? Awfully bland, but I have thought about it.

4. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Field roast makes the best vegan hot dogs. They are really smokey and very close in taste in texture to the real thing. They are also soy free.

• pk says:

I just posted the same comment below :-)

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Great minds think alike. I have these a couple of times a week. They are amazing.

• RedOryx says:

If you’re ever in Cleveland, stop by Happy Dog. It’s this fabulous hot dog restaurant with a shit ton of toppings you can choose (and super cheap) and they use Field Roast Italian Sausage on the veg dogs.

• Martha Gail says:

I don’t know if I could eat them. I’ve been veggie for about 17 years now, and I have a hard time with things that are too close in texture to meat (if you can call anus and lips meat). I gotta stick with the black bean patties (although, I do like Morningstar Grillers Prime) and the “buffalo wing” nuggets.

• dks64 says:

Field roast is the BEST THING EVER! The Celebration Roast and Apple Sage sausage are amazing!

5. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

HOT DOG! These tofu-soy dogs are really swell! I’ll never go back to those other old juicy all-meat dogs again!

But I really like Morningstart Farm products. However, their prices have been going up too fast. We buy Smart Dogs.

• PadThai says:

Smart dogs are amazing!

• RedOryx says:

Seriously, the prices are insane.

I did find that Aldi’s sells Boca Burgers — just the basic burger and the vegan variety. Prices are just a bit better. And Target sells Morningstar at not too ridiculous prices.

I wish I could find more Smart products around me, I loved their chick’n strips when I could find it.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

We get the big boxes of Boca and MS black bean burgers at Costco for an OK price. The Boca burgers are kind of bland, but much better cooked with garlic powder, liquid smoke and any other seasonings you like.

The MS Prime burgers are oustanding (much better than the Original), but then again, there’s the price.

6. ianmac47 says:

I understand vegetarianism. I understand hot dogs. I’m not sure I understand creating substitute vegetarian hot dogs.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

It doesn’t matter if you understand them. What matters is that we understand them and like them. No one goes around asking you to explain every food you enjoy.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

• Altman says:

Hehe the best part of the hot dog is the mustard and sauerkraut anyways…

• RedOryx says:

Thank you.

• JennQPublic says:

Yes, and how dare you express such an opinion over the Internet. Never question vegetarians!

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Omni’s always question vegetarians, and I have never witnessed a vegetarian questioning an omni, ever. I can say that 100% of the time when the word vegetarianism is mentioned on the internet, the omnis always rush in with their comments. This includes private vegan message boards where the rules explicitly state that it is forbidden. I just don’t get the omni obsession with our diets.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

I’ve been judged by plenty of vegetarians. Unless PeTA’s not all about making me feel like I’m going to hell (or wherever it is meat-eaters get sent in their cult; maybe the Chicago Stockyards? I dunno). Also happened a lot in high school and college. I’d be trying to enjoy a burger or whatever, and one of my annoying veg classmates would be all “EW! How can you eat that?” and then she’d try to make me care about all the animals who died so I could eat them.

As if I cared.

My point, though, is that your contention that all vegetarians aren’t as judgmental as those of us who include meat in our diets is flat out wrong. I’ve been attacked for what I eat, just like you have. Doesn’t make it right; I don’t give a fuck what you eat, and I’ll thank you to treat me the same. But vegetarians are in no way as blameless as you’d like to make them out to be.

• shepd says:

Actually, I experience a lot more vegetarians questioning (in a passive aggressive manner) my choices than I would ever question a vegetarian. Usually in far more offensive ways, too, accusing me of all sorts of bullshit atrocities. Yes, it will often come up after an innocent question regarding vegetarianism (such as “Will product “x” work for you?” “OH NO WAY! THAT IS A MURDER PRODUCT.” or “Are you willing to go to lunch at (insert restaurant here), they have a vegetarian option” “HELL NO. THAT RESTAURANT SERVES DEAD ANIMAL. GROSS.”. ). Not that all vegetarians are like that, but a solid amount of them sadly are.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m guessing it’s for similar reasons as to why there is a market for non-alcoholic beer, decaffeinated coffee, or diet soda.

• Quirk Sugarplum says:

It’s simple enough to understand. A lot of people were raised eating meat – a category that hot dogs loosely fall under – but later decided for a variety of reasons to stop eating it. Maybe for ethical or health concerns or maybe just because none of your business why. It doesn’t mean they don’t sorely miss the yumminess of meat. Products such as faux dogs help them guiltlessly indulge in old favorites.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That’s the best explanation I’ve seen — Thank you!

• rmorin says:

I actually agree with you. Its sort of like a vegan wearing a faux-leather belt. Why are you perpetuating a need for a type of product to which you fundamentally disagree with?

• rmorin says:

For clarification I mean those who are abstaining from meat because of the ethical reasons. Health reasons are bogus for another reason in that meat substitutes are far more processed and often not much at all more healthy. Basically if you are a veggie or vegan rock on, but don’t try to have it both ways with meat substitutes because you are basically just eating them to feel better about yourself.

• BennieHannah says:

I run a pescatarian kitchen — mainly vegetarian, and my other family members have the choice to eat meat when we go out/attend a gathering. But I didn’t cut meat out of our diet because it tasted bad. There were health reasons and a few animal cruelty issues and since we have the resources to choose NOT to eat meat (when many people here and abroad do not have the same choices; their protein sources are not plentiful), we’ve chosen to limit or eliminate certain meats from our diet.

Folks who chose vegetarianism because they disliked the taste/texture of meat eschew this type of product, but I consider “meaty” substitutes a craving cure. Maybe the same way a recovering soda addict might choose a flavored sparkling water for the fizz. Sometimes I miss a hot dog on a bun, with sauerkraut, mustard, jalapeno peppers, cheese…(did I miss a topping?), and slathered by all of that, a veggie dog serves the purpose. It’s a rare treat, which even regular meat hot dogs should be.

7. SerenityDan says:

Just raise the frickin price and give me 8. I hate when the rolls come in a different amount as the “hot dogs”

• McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

There’s an obvious solution: buy 24 at a time!
      :D

/s

• grebby says:

Don’t rock the boat. You know their “solution” will be to give you 6 buns for the price of 8.

• IraAntelope says:

this has always been an issue with real hotdogs also. unless you buy them in a deli and pick your quantity.

8. SerenityDan says:

Yes, the skin blisters.

9. pk says:

Try Field Roast Frankfurters. They sell them at whole foods – best veggie dogs I have ever tasted.

• Mike says:

Yes, the Field Roast Frankfurters seem like real food compared to most (vegetarian or meat) hot dogs. Personally, I’m a fan of the Yves or Lightlife ones, and they’re a slightly less chemical mix than the Morningstar farms, and also vegan.

I remember in Toronto about 15 years ago getting Yves jumbo veggie dogs from street vendors. They would serve those and regular dogs, and since the fun was the toppings, it was awesome.

• AstroPig7 says:

Sauté them and dump them in tortilla soup. Sooooooooo good.

• dks64 says:

I liked them, but they weren’t my favorite. I usually end up with Smart Dogs or Worthington Leanies (don’t buy them very often anymore though since I have to drive far for them).

10. TuxMan says:

Slw nws dy Cnsmrst? Rlly nthng ls t rprt thr thn ths? lm.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Narcissistic much? This may not be big news to you, but it absolutely is in the veggie world. It was a big deal when these went off the market b/c a lot of people really loved them. A lot of vegetarians are really thrilled they are back. Bringing a popular product back from the dead so to speak is a very big deal to quite a few people.

• Jules Noctambule says:

I’m so sorry that your computer forces you to click on and read every story posted anywhere. :(

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Out of all the other articles you could question, you picked one that actually has to do with Consumer issues?

Dumbass.

11. brinks says:

I haven’t had these in years. They were a little too close in taste and texture to the real thing, and I’m grossed out by the real thing.

12. jrwn says:

I guess I’m in the group of people who don’t understand why vegetarians want to make food that looks like food they don’t/can not eat.
    Wouldn’t it be like me, being a non-beer drinker, making a liquid that looks, smells, tastes like beer, but doesn’t have that one think that makes beer beer?

• pk says:

Because most vegetarians don’t become vegetarians because they don’t like meat. Most people are vegetarian for health, ethical, or spirtual reasons.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I hate beer as well. But, I don’t hate meat. Rather, I choose not to eat it. I’m not much of a fake meat eater, but I love the flavors of a good vegetarian hot dog.

• brinks says:

When I first became a vegetarian, it was hard to figure out what to eat, so I went with meat substitutes. Years later, I really don’t find them necessary.

But I really don’t understand non-alcoholic beer.

• orion70 says:

Looks like, maybe, but it doesn’t really taste like it. It tastes more of the seasonings that people put ON meat, rather than meat itself.

13. beachmouse says:

Now they just need to bring back the Boca rising crust pepperoni pizza. It was totally death on a plate from a nutritional standpoint, but the flavor was awesome- better than a number of meat pepperonis I’ve had over the years.

14. RedOryx says:

Yes! I love these dogs and am so happy to have them back. The other veg options just aren’t as good.

15. webweazel says:

“items like “SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE” and “HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN.”

I know I’ve said it here before, and I’ll say it again–the book “Twinkie, Deconstructed” by Steve Ettlinger is one of the best reads about the ingredients that go into our foods and exactly how they are mined/catalyzed/processed. Even if you only have a passing curiosity about ingredients, it is still an excellent read, and will take much of the mystique out of it.

There is info on soy protein isolate in the book–90-95% protein, zero flavor-made from pressed soy flakes, mixed with chemicals similarly to how tofu (or cheese) is made, then dried and powdered. Helps to bind fat and moisture for added firmness and replace meat. Found in soy-based baby formula, dietary supplements, bread, pasta, whipped toppings, and bacon bits.

There is quite a bit more listed about soybeans and the ingredients that are made from them. For example, the soy flakes are made from the soybeans, of course, but are treated along the way with hexane, which is explosive and mildly toxic, which is gotten from natural gas and is also a component of gasoline. You’d be surprised how much of our food ingredients are gotten straight from crude oil or natural gas.

Crude oil to benzene to cumene to phenol (carbolic acid-an antiseptic) to catechol (photographic film developer) to guaiacol (to be further processed into guaifenesin a decongestant) to “artificial vanilla flavoring”.

Natural gas to methane to methanol to ketene to aspirin.

Here’s a bonus question–What sub-ingredient commonly found in one of our most basic food ingredients is “harvested” from sheets of hot-rolled steel scale and sulfuric acid? You eat it probably every single day.

• Misha says:

I’m not here to play happy-fun quiz time, so why don’t you just tell us the answer to the extra credit?

• webweazel says:

Jeeez. So angry. It’s supposed to get you curious about it and find out for yourself. Sorry, Paris Hilton, but you can’t have everything given to you.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

This is why I limit processed products a great deal. For me, it’s not just about fake meat, it’s about any processed food be it vegetarian or not. I do eat a couple of grain based fake meats, and will occasionally use organic tofu, but that isn’t any worse than the stuff that goes into something like bologna or hot dogs, especially the nitrates.

I am of the belief that most of the time, we should be eating food that is as close to it’s natural state as we can. An occasional treat or franken food doesn’t hurt anyone.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Pickled steel?

• webweazel says:

Good guess! The sulfuric acid pulls off the oxide scale from the steel it is run through the tank of acid in a PICKLING process.
        Hints: This ingredient drops to the bottom of the acid tank and is strained out to be ground into a very fine powder for use. It is normally mixed in tiny amounts (along with other things) into the other well-known basic food-stuff I mentioned. It is also an ingredient in fabric dye, ink, water purification, wood preservation, and weed killers.
        I’ll give the answer tomorrow if anybody is still interested or even listening over here on page 2 by then.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Thinking back a long time ago to some chem courses I would make a guess that it’s iron or ferrous oxide.

• webweazel says:

Good! Super close! You get the bonus point-an extra 5 cookies or extra cupcake for dessert today!

It’s actually ferrous sulfate. The sulfuric acid is the key. From the book: “…the sulfuric acid has become saturated with iron and is pumped out for separation. Iron sulfate crystals, an iron salt of sulfuric acid, drop to the bottom so that the acid can be poured off and recycled for further pickling.” It is dried and ground very finely for use.

It is actually a part of the “enrichment blend” that is added to basic wheat flour that adds iron as a nutrient. The other additions are; B vitamins, niacin, thiamine mononitrate (B1), riboflavin (B2), and more recently, folic acid.

In its most basic form: Niacin is made from mostly natural gas, thiamine is made from coal tar, riboflavin is made in vats in a process similar to beer with a “mother” microorganism that “manufactures” it, and folic acid is made with a mixed process that has a brewing like beer process AND using petroleum products.

Interesting fact: In 1993, folic acid was proposed by the FDA to be added to flour. The FDA gave 1998 as the compliance date for flour mills. Since there was so much evidence of folic acid preventing neural-tube defects in newborns, the mills started to add it immediately.

You might enjoy the book.

16. Onesnap says:

Too much processed soy messes with a woman’s hormones. It’s pretty much the only thing my Mom’s cancer doctor told her to stay away from.

No thanks. I’ll stick to farm fresh local sausage. Yum!

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Has any of that ever been confirmed in any medical research?

Supposedly, phyto-estrogen can cause issues with male fertility but I’ve never heard concerns about the impact in women, especially with the trace amounts in soy products (or even estrogen in the water supply).

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m not sure on that one. I’ve also read numerous times that meat and dairy can supposedly mess with your hormones as well. That is one of the reasons why some experts think girls are hitting puberty earlier. Meat also can mess with you cholesterol and clog your arteries. Lots of foods could possibly have some sort of bad effect. Look at sugar and HFCS. We all consume way too much of it and it is making many, many people fat and sick.

• Jules Noctambule says:

That’s strange when you consider the meat-and-dairy-heavy diets common for so many generations. Unless, of course, they mean that it’s actually hormones fed to the meat and dairy animals to increase production that are causing problems, not the products themselves.

• dks64 says:

Yes, the amount of hormones and antibiotics pumped into the animals. They have to grow them fast and in terrible conditions to keep up with the demand for them. That’s why I don’t contribute to the demand, it’s horrible.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

So the occasional soy dog is “too much soy”? Most vegetarians also eat lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Anything in excess is probably bad for you, but for some of us, local sausage is just not on option.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Excellent point. When discussing vegetarian diets, omni’s suddenly become health and nutrition experts who have perfect diets. Omni’s feigning concern for the health of our products is laughable when you consider that the second most popular omni restaurant is McDonald’s. You know how the golden arches is the paragon of healthful food.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

This is why I eat Field Roast whole grain vegan dogs. No soy to mess with your hormones. Thankfully, soy is not the only meat substitute alternative. The best foods like Daiya cheese, Field Roast sausages/roasts, and Quorn aren’t made with any soy.

• dks64 says:

Science doesn’t show that. It shows that it happens to SOME women, but not most, healthy ones. I consume way more soy than I want to admit (Starbucks addiction) and my hormone levels are perfect (thyroid too). Too much of anything can cause problems. Americans consume WAY too much processed food in general. Too much dairy too. We’re one of the top dairy consuming countries in the world and have the highest rates of osteoporosis. And obesity. And heart disease. Animal products definitely add to the problem.

17. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’ve run into lots of assholes that are omni and yet I don’t hate all omnis or question their food choices. I’m sorry that you had a run in with a militant vegan. I can understand how that would be annoying. But, that is very rare. I’ve never even run into one on the veg*n message boards I am on. Militant vegans are not an excuse for omni’s being jerks to people who are simply trying to discuss vegetarian food.

18. c_c says:

Hydroloyzed soy corn etc. usually means MSG without them having to say MSG. It also means tasty.

19. Bladerunner says:

Man, I just looked up the ingredients, and once again it’s another fakemeat I can’t eat. Why do they always put wheat in there?! (That’s rhetorical, actually, I know why. But boo anyway.)

Also, since there seem to be a lot of vegetarians commenting on this post, does anyone know what would be in “tofu pups” that would cause a negative reaction in a person who doesn’t react to much except wheat/gluten? The ingredients don’t list it, and it’s not the same response, and they’re the only reasonably priced fauxmeat that doesn’t have wheat in it, but I get a weird almost swelling sensation in my throat every time I try to eat em.

Oh, and to all the questioning omnivores, as to why vegetarians would eat a product designed to simulate meat, keep in mind that the form factor is NOT meat-specific, and that a goodly portion of the flavor of meat comes from the seasoning. Burgers and hot dogs were created for a reason; the form factor is a convenient way of putting protein on a plate and seasoning it. I make my own “burgers” at home (since I won’t pay $6 for 4 Dr. Praeger or Sunshine burgers) because I find that shape easy to transport; when I’m too lazy to make my GF bread, they just end up in a tuppeware and I ketchup/barbeque sauce/relish the heck out of em, but having them in those chunks makes it easier on me to eat and transport.

• Smultronstallet says:

Where are you shopping that Dr. Praeger’s products are $6? I get them for $2.99 at a local supermarket.

20. IraAntelope says:

it all sounds very appetizing…

21. IraAntelope says:

I was recently pricing the (locally famous) Hoffman dogs, which are now going national: almost $6 for a pound! One can get a decent steak for that-not veggie, of course.

22. IraAntelope says:

cannot really judge them until you grill a couple…most hot dogs are bad boiled. ya have to grill them until they split open for full flavor.

23. uh2l says:

What you’re seeing below is common antivegetarianism. I wrote about it years ago and it’s amazing how many people find the posts by Googling anti-vegetarianism or by going here.

The reason most of them are Googling it is because they hate us vegetarians because we challenge their way of life which is a cruel one. It’s just people with low self-esteem who feel the need to make fun of us and it’s ironic that they feel threatened by people who won’t kill animals (including their pets.) If vegetarianism was a religion, some of the behavior we face could be considered hate.

And no, you don’t need meat to be healthy. I am the product of tens of generations in India that never touched meat or eggs and lived long healthy lives on grains, spices, fruits and vegetables and dairy. My great great grand mother lived to be 100 (no doctors, no hospitals), her daughter lived to her late 90’s, and my grandpa was strong enough to be able to walk on his hands at close to 60. I am 40, have been veg. for 22 years, look like I’m 32, can run a mile in 6:40, have done 100 mile bike rides and all my bloodwork is in the normal range. Just go to the vegetarian dating websites and see how much healthier and thinner the people look compared to the high percentage of fat people on regular dating sites.

24. uh2l says:

25. uh2l says:

What you’re seeing below is common antivegetarianism. I wrote about it years ago and it’s amazing how many people find the posts by Googling anti-vegetarianism.

26. CrazyEyed says:

I’ve had the corn dog versions and they are actually pretty good.

• Jules Noctambule says:

My nieces are fiends for the Trader Joe’s version to the point where they’re no longer interested in pork hot dogs anymore.

27. Cerealmom says:

F*ck it,if I am going to eat hot dogs I may as ell do it right and make it some kosher all-beef weiners. To each his own, but I have tried Morningstar and it is meh.Gimme a Nathans!

28. ReverendTed says:

I’d read that it’s better flavor-wise to microwave hotdogs rather than boil them (and best to grill them, IIRC). Does this hold for veggiedogs as well?

29. jerry101 says:

I still dont get why they took the dog out of the hot dog, so the hot tofu dog concept is just totally lost on me.

30. JANSCHOLL says:

I have never liked the “veggie dogs” by any company. I do make my own veggie sausage and veggie bratwurst, however! And they are vegan! Sometimes a few hours in the kitchen has a big payoff, as I am able to mix, steam and freeze up enough of these to last months. And it’s way cheaper to make your own than buy them. This weekend is sun dried tomato with dill!

31. tweaked says:

I like eating meat.
    If you wanna eat vegetables only, that’s cool. I eat those sometimes, not as much as I should.
    I don’t like hot dogs made of meat, or of soy, or of anything. Some people do. Cool! People enjoy and choose to eat different foods for a variety of reasons.
    I also don’t like pointless arguments. Apparently, a lot of people on the Internet do. Not cool.

32. muffingal says:

I am so excited! Summer BBQs are now complete again!

33. nightowl85 says:

Now let’s unite and bring the Veggie Bites back… I was a full vegetarian for a whole year and a half surviving on those delicious things and other stuff. After they discontinued them, I couldn’t keep doing it just with the other stuff. I miss them. Anyway, I don’t think I would do it anyway, I think after a year and half my love for steak trumped my love for animals.