Oscar Mayer Lifts Veil Of Secrecy On Ingredients With New Line Of Meats

Pink slime backlash is seeping into all things meat related. If a consumer is going to eat some meat, companies are figuring out that hey, maybe they’d like to know what exactly it is that’s going into their bodies. Which is why Oscar Mayer has announced a new line of meats with no artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.

The Chicago Tribune says Oscar Mayer’s new Selects line is an attempt to give its customers “more simple, everyday ingredients.” You know, instead of things like polyacetonaloxalamideatrous No. 11. Which is made up, but for all that the common consumer knows about strings of weird science-y sounding substances, could very well be listed in the ingredients of processed foods.

Selects includes 12 meat varieties, ranging from six hot dogs, five cold cuts and bacon, and is now on grocery store shelves around the country.

“More and more, consumers today want simple, everyday ingredients they know and trust,” Heather Buettner, Oscar Mayer’s senior director of new product development, said in a press release. “They want food they can feel good about that is affordable and easy to find.”

Selects Hot Dogs were previously launched in 2010, and have done well with consumers, says the company. By 2012, Oscar Mayer wants to have 50% of its new products to be free of artificial preservatives.

Osar Meyer frees Selects of artificial colors, flavors, preservatives [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. Coffee says:

Oscar Mayer Selects(tm) Hot Dogs: just lips and assholes.

• tralfaz says:

But since the ratio is 55%/45% lips/assholes, can you legally call them Hot Dogs? Everyone knows that “Hot Dogs” are actually 50% lips/50% assholes.

This is just a thinly veiled attempt to pull the wool over consumers’ eyes!!

2. Blueskylaw says:

Mmmmm, floor scraps, beef hearts, claws, eyes,
    lips, ears and polyacetonaloxalamideatrous No. 11.

Just like Grandma used to make.

3. Hoss says:

With enough salt and vacuum sealed, that crap can stay on the shelf for months.

4. Nobby says:

I remember with the Oscar Meyer Factory that was on Division, right across the street from Cabrini-Green in Chicago.

5. MrObvious says:

I only eat meat from animals that I kill I myself. Tastier and healthier.

6. HomerSimpson says:

How much more expensive is the pink slime “enhanced” version?

7. Droford says:

polyacetonaloxalamideatrous No. 11 is the ingredient that makes everyone be in love with their wieners.

8. consumed says:

I bought some of these Selects turkey breast the other day and I could have swore it said something about added caramel color on the front. Which I am pretty sure is artificial.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Depends on what the caramel color is made from. If it’s a natural substance it’s not considered artificial, meaning it was created in a lab.

9. eezy-peezy says:

Main ingredient – ground up dead animals. No thanks.

10. Cat says:

I try to stay away from those national brand cold cuts.

We’ve got a locally owned meat processing plant a few miles away with an outlet store – I was there last week, and bought about 12 lbs of cold cuts for under $20. Good quality stuff too – Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham, Pastrami, Capicola. The ingredients list is on the package, and I don’t see anything nasty in the ingredients.

Although the Pastrami and Capicola aren’t as good as New York Deli stuff, it’s the closest I can get without driving 100 miles to an authentic German Delicatessen. (Where I can get real Pastrami, weisswurst, and the best brats west of the Mississippi.)

• Blueskylaw says:

The cheapest baloney here is $3.99 a pound and the cheapest roast
      beef is $9.99 a pound.Why can’t we have cold cut outlet stores here?

11. redskull says:

I really like the idea of cold cuts with no preservatives, but the truth is that I need them. I don’t think I could eat a whole preservative-less package of cold cuts before they went bad. I’d end up throwing half the package away.

• david.c says:

Ding Ding Ding … give this man a prize.

That is why they are doing this. People used to complain about this issue … so MFG’s started using preservatives in to their foods to lure customers in with a product that doesn’t go bad.

Now folks don’t want junk in their foods and so the MFG are going to back to the way it used to be.

Blame consumers for this change … or thank them, depending upon your point of view.

• OutPastPluto says:

The Roman Legions used sausage as a staple food in field rations.

This stuff doesn’t need any ingredients a Roman wouldn’t recognize.

You don’t have to compromise on food safety either.

• The Porkchop Express says:

depending on the salt content, they may fine for almost as long. So long as you store them properly of course.

12. RvLeshrac says:

Arsenic, cyanide, and chlorine gas are also All Natural.

• Zowzers says:

I find the best way to gross out those that tout “natural” and “organic” foods is to break those products down to their base chemicals.

Example Wine: Ingredients = grape juice, Yeast. sounds innocuous enough, natural and Organic if you will. Then you look at the base chemicals… and things like Anthocyanins, Sulfur Dioxide, Phenol’s like 3-hydroxyflavone and hundreds of other chemicals… Diacetyl, Ethyl acetate,Acetaldehyde ect ect ect

• cleek says:

i’ve heard some wine is up to 15% methylcarbinol, with a non-trivial amount of arabinose, rhamnose and xylose, not to mention anthocyanins and terpenoids.

13. dcarrington01 says:

“ranging from six hot dogs” that’s it, just six whole hot dogs? What about the other two in the pack? Who’s gonna be the lucky person that get the six hot dogs?

14. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Cold cuts were invented as means to use trimmings and lesser quality meats and to preserve meats – that’s why they have preservatives in them.

15. BradenR says:

Paying a little more while reading the labels goes a long way. I am not much into meat but if the urge for a hotdog comes my way, it will be Applegate Farms, no preservatives, no extras, just meat.

16. FredKlein says:

polyacetonaloxalamideatrous No. 11

Wait until Consumerist hears about Di-Hydrogen Monoxide!!

This just in: scary sounding names sound scary… to the uninformed

17. NorthAlabama says:

wow, what a bunch of OM haters! don’t knock OM selects if you haven’t tried them, they’re pretty darned tasty.

we used to package our own beef when i lived on the farm, but i’m a city dweller now, and don’t have the freezer space for even half a beef (i can’t even look in the meat department at my local market without getting sick).

that said, quality luncheon meats are nice to have available at the market for a change.

18. Libertas says:

At 150% the cost for 75% of the product.

19. marc6065 says:

I think besides lips and assholes there are snouts, ears, and scotums and vagina’s!! Nthing like eating ground up dicks and cunts!!!!!