Man Calls Police After Unsatisfying All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry

Once again, the phrase “all you can eat” is at the center of a dispute between a restaurant and a hungry customer who says he was cut off without getting his fill of fried fish.

“It’s false advertising,” the customer told WTMJ-TV as he protested outside the Thiensville, WI, restaurant.

The 6’6″, 350-lb customer had gone to the eatery’s Friday fish fry last week and was cut off after being served 12 pieces of fish.

“Well, we asked for more fish and they refused to give us any more fish,” he recalled.

In an attempt to appease the customer, the restaurant packed up another eight pieces and shooed him out the door.

So that’s when he called the police, because, as he explained, “I think that people have to stand up for consumers.”

And then he returned on Sunday and began picketing the restaurant. He says he’ll picket every Sunday until there’s a resolution.

The restaurant tells WTMJ that this man has been a problem customer in the past, and one of the eatery’s waitresses confronts him on camera, saying he has an unpaid tab there.

The man admits to having an open account at the restaurant and adds, “They do have like some of the best pizza in town if you like deep dish pizza.”

Let’s hope this doesn’t end up in court like the man who sued the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant because they wouldn’t let him pick off the fish while leaving the rice untouched.

Local man protests restaurant’s all-you-can-eat policy [WTMJ-TV]

Thanks to Paul for the tip!

Comments

1. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

What’s the problem? It’s an all you can eat and the manager told him “sorry, that’s all you can eat.”

• orion70 says:

I’ve never been to a fish fry specifically, but I would think it safe to assume that fish is not the only thing on offer as part of the meal. French fries, coleslaw, potato salad or what not. Was the guy cleaning out all that stuff too?

I agree that there were other reasons why they cut this guy off. Besides, why should one guy who hasn’t even been paying his tab get to eat all the food at the expense of other, paying customers? Ever been at a buffet where there is that one person who rushes up to clear out a pan that just came out of the kitchen? It’s not a fun dining experience.

• Coffee says:

This is exactly my problem as well…it’s an “and this is why we can’t have nice things” situation where a small number of customers are eating WAY more of certain higher-priced items than everyone else. People who pound their chest and say “IT’S MY RIGHT…IT SAYS ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT OUTSIDE!” ignore the fact that if everyone utilized their “strategy”, the higher quality items would run out quickly or the restaurant would lose so much money trying to meet demand that they would be unable to have an AYCE buffet. Buffet shuts down, and now no one gets anything. Well that was fun.

• FredKlein says:

God forbid the restaurant simply prices the AYCE meal accordingly.

• Coffee says:

Sure, if the restaurant wants to make money, it can charge $30 for an AYCE seafood buffet, but then it will be pricing out many of the customers who normally eat there, and now everyone else suddenly has to pay twice as much because of a few detrimentally expensive eaters. Supply and demand being what they are, the demand for said buffet goes down drastically and the buffet isn’t economically viable anymore.

• Kate says:

Or maybe you don’t make an All You Can Eat claim without an asterisk *

*as long as you are an average human with an average appetite

• Abradax says:

Frankly, that isn’t the customer’s concern. He was offered an AYCE fish sampling, he purchased an AYCE fish sampling, and then was denied AYCE. If the restaurant can’t cover their customers then they SHOULDN’T offer AYCE.

• JennQPublic says:

“If the restaurant can’t cover their customers…”

It seems like the restaurant made a choice here about who they want ‘their’ customers to be. If they’re willing to lose an unreasonable customer with an unreasonable appetite to better accommodate reasonable customers with reasonable appetites, I can’t blame them. More fish for those of us who can’t eat 12 pieces (and don’t weigh 350lbs).

• orion70 says:

that was supposed to be in reply to longfeltfry below…weird.

2. Nobby says:

Exactly how many “‘deep dish” pizza joints can a place named Thiensville, WI have?

3. El_Fez says:

“I think that people have to stand up for consumers.”

Dude, as a consumer, please stop helping me. You’re making us look bad.

• dks64 says:

Thank YOU. Agree. And who does this help? Just people who eat excessively because those people cause the AYCE places to charge extra. The cost is always passed to the other consumers.

4. ThisIsAdamB says:

There’s a joke in there somewhere about all the chewing involved in eating all that food and the call letters of the tv station (W’TMJ’ – temporomandibular joint), but I can’t think of it right away. Anyone?

5. Taed says:

I’d love to see a counter-suit that the fellow, on previous occasions, did not actually eat all that he COULD eat, but stopped when he merely felt full — another 5 pounds or so could have been stuffed down his gullet. After all, it’s “all you can eat” not “all that you want to eat”.

6. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

The “you” is a legal term referring to “you, in general”, meaning average people. Not 6’6″ 350-pounders.

• Phildogger says:

Bullshit. I am 6 foot 7, over 300 myself. I would eat 2, 3 pieces tops. However, if I wanted more, that’s my right. Would you tell someone 4 feet tall that their bill is only going to be half? Nope, because the sign says “You”, not “You average sized people”.

• HalOfBorg says:

I’m fat, I’m a big eater. One of my favorite phrases is “All You Can Eat”. But I don’t abuse it. Maybe they don’t make money on me, but I don’t break the food bank.

• shepd says:

Ahhh, 6 comments in and the hate starts spewing. I love how it’s wrong to hate someone for their heritage (and yes, you can change that–just lie and select a heritage that supports your looks) but it’s cool to hate someone for their weight (and, in this case, height).

• Coffee says:

I’m not sure I’m seeing a whole lot of hate spewing in this comment. There have been other articles on this site in the past about the kind of people who get banned from all-you-can-eat buffets. These are frequently people who arrive between meal times, stay for hours, and pick and choose choice items off the buffet, costing establishments a lot of money and depriving other customers of the choicest items. I don’t feel much pity for them.

For the record, I’m not mammoth – 6’4″ and 240 – and I eat nowhere near as much as people like this. And I would feel like self-entitled jerk if I ate myself out of a restaurant like this.

• George4478 says:

You see, Status said something shepd didn’t like so it’s ‘spewing hate’. It’s one way* for people to avoid having meaningful, adult conversation about differing viewpoints.

*see ‘racist’, ‘ sexist’, etc.

• shepd says:

Dude, he said two sentences. You’re reading even more into it then I did. If you want to avoid having a meaningful conversation, post your drivel and my drivel all over this message board and there won’t be any between both of us wondering why each of us posts crap.

• The Porkchop Express says:

I don’t see hate. I didn’t watch the video or see what the guy looks like. He could have been a body builder, linebacker or a big fat guy. Anybody 6’6″ over 250 can probably eat a lot more than most people.

• RvLeshrac says:

He’s not some guy with a glandular problem. He’s a fatass who needs to stop shoveling food into his enormous gullet.

• Jawaka says:

Where did hate come into any of this besides when you brought it up?

• shepd says:

Hmmm, well, look at the comment below yours. Although re-reading, I was being hasty, until then.

• Clyde Barrow says:

@shepd; It’s hardly about hate but about what a reasonable customer should expect when he eats at a restaurant. “All you can eat” is not about eating the owner out of profits and a business owner is certainly not obligated to feed this kind of customer an endless supply of food at a profit loss. This guy is typical of an fat, self-absorbed, American moron.

7. CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

‘Tis no man, ’tis a remorseless eating machine, Arr.

8. Coffee says:

Ban the ungrateful piece of shit. Done.

• Smiley Massacre says:

Probably why they kicked him out cause he has a bad rep there.

• Coffee says:

Yeah…for me it’s not so much defending the false advertising as it is getting rid of a customer who is obviously not good for your establishment on multiple levels (money, PR, etc.)…you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Use it. Ban him.

• RandomHookup says:

Fine, but ban him *before* you serve him.

• crispyduck13 says:

Yeah seriously, why would they have let him continue to rack up a bill like that?

• orion70 says:

Possibly friend/relative of the restaurant or something. Or maybe someone took pity on him from something in his past. Who knows.

• Coffee says:

I agree…this is a situation where in retrospect, that is what should have happened. And reading my comment again, it’s pretty vitriolic…I just have a lot of trouble empathizing with someone who actually likes a restaurant, goes there often, owes them money, and still wants to make a stink after receiving twenty pieces of fish – probably enough to feed five people easily.

• Southern says:

Depends on the size of the fish, honestly.

At Long John Silvers, I can pretty easily eat 5 or 6 of their fish planks, and they’re pretty large.

If they were only the size of their chicken planks though (which is about the size of a normal catfish plank), I could probably eat 8-10 of those.

I’m not a large guy, either – which is why I don’t like most AYCE places, I never get my moneys worth. Usually half a plate, and I’m done. A full plate, and I’m REALLY done; to the point of being miserable. I dunno what it is with fish though, it never seems to fill me up.. especially cornmeal catfish.. I guess because I was raised on it.

9. Nobby says:

The REAL reason he got thrown out was because the owners felt mocked them by the “nom nom nom’ sounds he made as he ate.

10. Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

I saw the headline and knew this was from my neck of the woods.

11. Sanspants says:

Mr. Simpson, I don’t use the word ‘hero’ lightly, but you are the greatest hero in American history.

• Gardius says:

• Hank Scorpio says:

Lionel Hutz: Now, Mrs. Simpson, tell the court in your own words what happened after you and your husband were ejected out of the restaurant.

Marge: Well, we pretty much went straight home.

Lionel Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, remember that you are under oath.

Marge: We drove around until three in the morning looking for another open all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant.

Lionel Hutz: And when you couldn’t find one?

Marge: [crying] We… went… fishing.

Lionel Hutz: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, do these sound like the actions of a man whose had ALL he could eat?

12. longfeltwant says:

When I read this headline, I immediately thought — please, please be Wisconsin! Score one for the home state! woot! Fish fries are the bomb (but doesn’t this guy know to seek out a Catholic church?).

My two cents: first of all, is twelve pieces so many? I could eat eight or ten. A huge fat guy I can easily imagine having more than twelve. (By the way I am the same height as this guy, but 140 pounds lighter.) If you offer all-you-can-eat, you might eventually cap that offer, but the cap should be way above twelve. Second of all, if this guy is a problem customer, then tell him he’s no longer welcome before he orders. Done and done.

PS the sushi guy, on the other hand, is in the wrong: sushi is not fish; it is fish (or other stuff) and rice. If you aren’t eating the rice, you aren’t eating sushi. All-you-can-eat sashimi (which is the fish only without rice) would be much more expensive to offer so you can’t cheat your way from AYCE sushi to AYCE sashimi.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

They didn’t just throw him out, they gave him eight more pieces of fish. It sounds like they got rid of him for some other reason besides the amount of food.

• Hoss says:

There must be something else going on here. He mentions “we”. Did his guest pay as well?

Curious — what kind of fish do you suppose this is? Big fish or small ones like smelts?

13. roshambo says:

And if he ate all that fish and then kicked it, how much do you want to bet the family would want to sue the restaurant for feeding him so much fried food it killed him…. Seems establishments just can’t win. All you can eat should be all you can eat but seriously? There has to be a time where common sense kicks in.

14. shepd says:

Idiots all around. The restaurant for not simply saying “Your mean was on us, no charge. Please leave as we feel you’re abusing the all you can eat policy, and do not return. Hold on, let me take your picture.” [pins picture to banned for life wall]. This would have avoided the police having a reason to care.

The customer is a loser for being a deadbeat while protesting.

• Black Knight Rebel says:

This seems like the best solution. He wasn’t paying his tab anyway so really, nothing lost.

15. RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Never have I wanted the ability to post an image in the comments more than now. You’ll just have to fill in the details:

“File photo of the plaintiff:

homersimpsonmouthfulofcigarettes.jpg”

16. Extended-Warranty says:

I demand equal rights for all, I mean this is 2012. Being fat is not a choice. Who’s to tell me what I can and can’t eat?

• dks64 says:

Yes, it’s not a choice. Most people have absolutely NO control about what they put in their mouths. DOWN WITH FORCE FEEDING!

17. samonela says:

This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story.

• bricklayer says:

came to read this comment. leaving satisfied.

• dchs says:

haha it says neverending story, but it didn’t say you would be able to watch the entire story. They let you watch two hours of the story and call that a movie and then the can make indefinite sequels as it is called the neverending story.

They also didn’t state in the title that the story was finished at the time of viewing which makes a lot of sense since it is a never ending story

18. orion70 says:

I guess in the interest of truth in advertising, some of these places need to start placing signs stating “eat until you are violently ill”.

19. mcs328 says:

All You Can Eat….in 2 hours. DONE!

20. Dagny Taggart says:

There are literally hundreds of places in the Milwaukee are that serve AYCE Fish Fry. This dude needs to move on to the next victim, er, restaurant.

21. raitch says:

What do his height & weight have to do with anything? Why can’t we skip to the fact that he owes him money and not feel the need to discuss his size?

• Coffee says:

A person’s height and weight are correlate positively with how much they can eat in a sitting. This guy was kicked out, according to his own interpretation of events, because he ate more than they were willing to serve. It’s hard to avoid the connection.

• raitch says:

Bull. Look at all the thin people who hold competitive eating records. http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php

• axhandler1 says:

Yeah, those are exceptions, not the rule. Correlate postively does not mean without fail, every time, this is what happens. It means that generally, there is a positive relationship between height and weight, and how much a person is able to eat.

• Jules Noctambule says:

I don’t think it’s a slam against the guy so much as an illustration of how he might require a greater caloric intake than, say, someone who is 5’8″ like me. My brother is almost a foot taller then I am and consistently puts away more food than I do at an average meal while maintaining his current weight.

• Auron says:

Because fat people aren’t a protected class. And as commenters have pointed out, every person who is fat is fat SOLELY because they *chose* to be fat. Since it is a choice to be fat, unlike being a minority, short, blind, disabled, etc, it’s perfectly acceptable to rag on them just because of their weight.

/s in case it isn’t obvious

22. AustinTXProgrammer says:

Reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where he finds out his dad has been living at the all you can eat buffet for most of Dilbert’s life.

23. Overheal says:

“I think that people have to stand up for consumers.”

^ Oh look, he’s getting exercise!

24. Jules Noctambule says:

Tomorrow we’re going to a restaurant that does AYCE sushi and sashimi. One of our group is an amateur competitive eater. Fortunately, he goes there often so I doubt we’ll emerge with a Consumerist-worthy tale. Unlike that time he put away 32 plates of shrimp at Red Lobster during Endless Shrimp.

25. some.nerd says:

Simpsons already did it!

26. DoraAreGames says:

To be honest, if you’re paying for an all-you-can-eat anything, and there aren’t any posted restrictions, then yes you SHOULD get all you want even if it’s a lot or you want to eat until you puke. If you don’t want to let your customers get out of control, then it’s up to you as a restaurant to establish some sort of rules or restrictions (“Enjoy up to X AMOUNT of our delicious… “). My husband and I were at a place just yesterday that did an all-you-can-eat family style dinner and there was a bit of a stir at the table behind us; they had asked for refills on everything, then wanted boxes to take it all home. They pointed out that nowhere did it say boxes weren’t allowed. The restaurant let them do it, but they clearly weren’t happy about it, and I can imagine it’s going to be reworded next time we’re there.

That said, restaurants have the right to refuse service to anyone, and if he’s got an open tab with them he hasn’t paid off I can’t blame them for not wanting to serve the jerk any more. I don’t think his size has anything to do with it here. The restaurant needs to protect itself from things like that by posting clearly defined specials that don’t leave them open to losing money or being taken advantage of.

• orion70 says:

There should become a point where common sense should prevail. Some things should go without saying. I recently witnessed a kid going up to the dessert station and licking off the serving spoons. Should people really have to be told not to do that?

I think same considerations to be applied to buffets in general. Otherwise we’d be reading through 50 page disclaimers at restaurants.

27. ILoveBacon says:

Reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons when Homer gets tossed out of an all you can eat fish place as he mutters “but it said ‘all you can eat…'”

28. Hoss says:

He needs to work on that protest sign — you can’t read it, and it’s not clear what the issue is.

And how long can he stand out there without having to purge out all his fried foods and pizza?

29. Bladerunner says:

There seems to be an awful lot of “blame the OP” on this one; a lot of folks feel he’s “abusing” the AYCE policy, however, it’s worth noting how many people don’t eat enough to justify the extra money. Will they get a refund? No? Well, that’s because AYCE is a form of gambling. You’re banking you’ll eat enough to warrant the price, the restaurant is banking on the idea that most people won’t. They trade on this gamble, without those messy asterisks that make people think about what they’re doing, and then they want to accuse this guy of “eating too much”. His previous tab is irrelevant. Just because they dont’ like him doesn’t mean they get to defraud him. If he were at a casino, and the casino said “you’ve won too much, we aren’t going to pay out”, I don’t think that anyone would fault him for being upset, but because this is food and he seems heavy, everyone’s saying he’s the jerk.

• Southern says:

Casinos do that though – if you’re winning too much, they WILL ask you leave.

• Bladerunner says:

Not after you’ve placed a bet and won it. They’ll pay that bet out and then tell you to leave before you place another.

30. technoreaper says:

Disgusting! What a pig!

31. NotEd says:

You make me ashamed to be a fat guy, Sir.
    Ok, MORE ashamed to be a fat guy.

32. hmburgers says:

I’m thinking publicity stunt… the vast majority of people will hear ’20 pieces of fish for $12′ and side with the restaurant. Lay on top of that his comment about it having the best pizza in town…

All he has to do is take some humiliation for a few weeks.