Class Action Lawsuit Seeks Recall Of Whirlpool Dishwashers For Alleged Fire Hazard

Doing the dishes is no fun (for most of us, at least), which is why having a dishwasher is super great. But if that appliance starts to smoke and burn inside while it’s running, well, that’s not so fun. Just such a fiery experience is what one man claims happened with his Whirlpool dishwasher, prompting him to seek a recall from the company.

NBC 25 News says Greg was just running his dishwasher one night, as he usually does, when he smelled burning plastic coming from the kitchen. When he saw smoke coming from the dishwasher, he tried to stop the cycle by grabbing the handle, but claimed that the front panel was blistering hot, and burned his hand.

“What do you do, how do you stop something that’s arching and burning and flaming inside while it’s still running?” he asked. He shut off the power supply to the dishwasher and spared his home and family.

The news station says research shows more than 600 people have complained about Whirlpool, which produces Kitchenaid, Sears Kenmore, Maytag and Whirlpool dishwashers.

Greg’s lawyer says there is a defect in the dishwasher design that can cause the control circuit board to fail, which is what Greg says happened to his appliance. He and his lawyer want Whirlpool to issue a recall to fix and eliminate the alleged design defect, and have filed a class action lawsuit with 13 others to that effect.

Whirlpool says it’s a drop in the bucket, and that no serious injury has been caused by its dishwashers.

“We have found only a few dishwashers out of 24 million manufactured where the safety features did not contain the heat damage inside the unit. In those few instances, minor heat damage occurred on the outside of the dishwasher,” said Cynthia Soledad from the Whirlpool Corporation.

*Hat tip to Amy for the link!

Dishwasher Danger: Is yours safe? [NBC 25 News]

Comments

1. AllanG54 says:

I like the spin on the answer, “we have found only a few dishwashers…where the safety features did not contain the heat damage INSIDE the unit..” which means that there must have been quite a few more with heat damage that was contained. Either way….why is everything a class action. If it gets fixed or replaced then that’s all that is needed. These people are looking for extra dough as well.

2. theconversationalist says:

The serial number on our Whirlpool dishwasher we immediately had problems with started with “FU”, which should have been a sign. We took it back after banging our heads against the wall with their terrible customer service. Like Schwinn and other great US brands from an era now gone, Whirlpool is now a shell company for Chinese junk. We’ve experienced it first hand, and it sounds like this guy did, too.

3. LRM216 says:

In all fairness, I must say that when I encountered the same problem with my Whirlpool’s circuit board, they sent a technician out two times and the problem still remained. Mine, however, was that I couldn’t get the dishwasher squares or packets to dissolve, no matter how high I set my water temp at. Finally, my third time calling for the same issues, I demanded that they either come with parts to change out the so-called “failing” circuit board (my appliance was only 11 months old at the time) – or they could come and pick the hunk of junk up – whichever they preferred. Someone was there within two days with all new parts, and not a problem since. I am thankful that they fixed the problem (at least for now!). Sometimes I think it all just hinges on who you get on the telephone when you call them.

4. pythonspam says:

I assume that by ‘arching’, Greg meant Arcing (electrical discharge) which can do damage beyond just burns.

5. RickN says:

On the plus side, the dry cycle was very effective.

6. Invader Zim says:

So I take it that we no longer need the pre soak feature?

7. gman863 says:

It’s kinda like Ford reporting that only a “few” Pintos blew up and killed the occupants when they were rear-ended.

8. retailriter says:

The quality goes in before the name goes on.