Want Verizon FiOS To Price-Match Itself? You Need Imaginary Re-Installation

A week after Kyle got Verizon FiOS installed in his new apartment, he saw an ad for a new subscriber deal that was $15 cheaper per month than the two-year contract he had just signed. No problem, then: just call them up and see whether they could price match their own deal. Sure, they could: but only if he canceled his new service, returned all of the equipment, and had the installers come out again to turn the service back on. Well, that’s efficient.

When deciding on a cable company for my new apartment, I wanted the best deal and the least amount of hassle. Comcast turned out to be a huge hassle, asking my girlfriend and I to show them our lease and both of our social security cards. So we called up Verizon. They were fast, friendly, and we were up and running with FIOS internet, tv, and phone the very next day.

Signing a 2 year contract always makes me a littler nervous, but at 99/month it was already less than our previous Cablevision service. A week later I see a promotion that new subscribers can get the triple play for 84.99/month. I called to see if they would price match it. They wouldn’t. I asked the girl, “What if I cancelled my service because it has been less than 30 days, and the signed up again under the new promotion?” “That would work,” she said. “but you would have to return your equipment and get a new install appointment.”

So wouldn’t it be easier for both parties to just give me the new promotional price? Isn’t it fairly standard practice in retail situations to honor sale or promotional prices if they happen within a week of purchase? How can I shame them into honoring the new price for a customer who is willing to send them money every month for at least 2 years?

Comments

1. milkcake says:

Well, that would make things too easy on all sides, wouldn’t it?

• weezedog says:

It’s because computers control everything now and the agent is limited to what the computer allows them to do. If there’s no option in the computer they can’t do it. This is what happens when you replace people (who can adapt to different and unique situations) with computers (which can only do what they were programmed to do and can’t handle anything out of the ordinary). Computers do not come with common sense and can not handle the unexpected. So the agent has to work around the limitations of the inflexible system by cancelling the entire account and reordering.

It will only get worse as we get more technologically advanced, just wait till computers are autonomously driving our cars, flying planes, operating on people etc and the computer runs into an unexpected situation….

2. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

No pain, no gain.

3. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

DIE DIE DIE

4. Blueskylaw says:

It’s stupid sh*t like this that gives corporations a bad name, not that we needed any more examples. Reminds me of the town that paved its roads then a week later started putting new sewer lines in.

• StarKillerX says:

That happened here, right in front of my house. There was a million dollar plus road project that completely ripped up the road and started over and added two extra lanes (from 2 to 4.) The road was closed for 18 months and two weeks after it was re-opened the city came in and dug a trench across the road to replace a water line (it was a scheduled replacement due to age) and afterwards topped filled the hole in the blacktop with cold patch.

Then a month after that decided that that they should have included more access routes for the sewer in the plan so they dug two four foot diameter holes straight down through the road to install two manhole access points for the sewer and then filled in the extra space with cold patch.

Finally to add insult to injury they manholes were installed wrong and the top ring, and manhole covers stuck up out of the road approximately an inch and a half and after being sued by a few dozen people for tire damage they came in and mounded blacktop around them so what should have been a pristine road actually had a dip from the water line and two large humps in it.

I always thought this was just a NY thing, since who else would be dumb enough to do something like this, are you saying it’s not limited to NYS?

• Blueskylaw says:

The two most common elements in the universe are
        hydrogen and stupidity. I assure you, it’s not limited to NYS.

5. sparc says:

cancel before the 30 days are up. you got a solution. use it.

6. Patriot says:

You signed the contract already. Why are you complaining? This is a perfect example of why so many people end up blaming the OP.

7. longfeltwant says:

Wanted to see your social security cards? WTF? Srsly, I would immediately hang up. That *IS* a phishing attempt, even if it is legitimately from Comcrapst. Are they the social security administration? No? Then there is no reason at all for them to ask for your card. I’ve never been asked for mine when signing up for cable. I would probably get quite testy if anyone ever tried to pull that on me. There ought to be a law…

• ovalseven says:

Every time I try to order service from Charter, they ask for my SSN. They insist on running a credit check while I’m on the phone with them.

• Shouhdes says:

You don’t have to use the Social method. If you choose not too, you can go to a local office and show other types of information.

But credit checks are common for practically every service, especially one that gives you hundreds of dollars of equipment.

• Captain Spock says:

Seriously? I signed up for Comcast in my new apartment and they neither asked to see my lease nor my Social Security card. In fact, i did it online and picked up the equipment myself (previous tenant had Comcast). They didn’t ask to see my Fiance’s anything because she is not on the account nor pays the bill. I just needed to show ID to pick up the equipment.

• MTpromises says:

I’ve never had Comcast, but I worked for Cablevision some years ago. If you move into a property where previous tenants left an outstanding cable bill you will have to provide more identification than a regular new subscriber.

• icerabbit says:

That’s unfortunately the most common practice now … Do you want electricity? water? cable? phone? cellphone? heating oil? propane? dental appointment? medical service? adopt a stray cat?

SSN please.

And you can object, which I have done in most cases, but you may not be able to get any service. I’ve argued in several cases that my SSN has nothing to do with a utility you will mail me a bill for every month … and walked away in some instances. But, in some cases you will not win because they have the service (power, water, …) and are the only game in town.

• jimbo831 says:

The problem isn’t that they wanted his SSN. If you reread, he says they wanted him to show his SS card. I have signed up for many things with my SSN without being required to show the company my card.

8. PHRoG says:

It’s called a deterrent.

Yes, they planned it that way, and it’s the norm amongst most of the big boy service providers.

And, if your not willing to do all that…it seems to be working, doesn’t it? ;)

9. Hi_Hello says:

i wouldn’t risk it. She might not know what she is doing. Call someone else.

If you cancel and try to sign up again, the deal might be for ‘new’ customer only.

You might not be a new customer anymore.

10. Shouhdes says:

They said they because they dont want to do it.

It is expensive and a hassle for them to do.

And generally the only reasons cable companies want to see a lease and socials is because someone with the same name at the same location owes them money.

11. p0rkmaster says:

Be careful – the CS rep may have not been aware of restrictions such as you could not have been a customer in the last X number of months to get the promotion. You might have to re-sign up under your GF’s name instead of yours to get around that issue.

12. ovalseven says:

You don’t need to shame them into anything. They already said they’d give you the deal. If they want to do the extra work. Let them.

13. homehome says:

You got the solution, just do it lol. And if you don’t want to do it, then you don’t want it bad enough.

14. CrazyEyed says:

Already tried this once. Because you aren’t a “new” customer who is switching from another providor, they won’t honor the price difference.

15. Tubal says:

Waaaa I signed a contract and now it’s cheaper. I’m such a victim.

16. scoutermac says:

sounds like AT&T

17. theblanconino says:

what he should do is call and tell them he wants to cancel the service since it’s within 30 days. no doubt they’ll xfer him to customer retention and ask him why he wants to cancel. when he tells them the reason, they may offer to do what he was asking and lower his rate to the promotional price. 1st tier CSRs aren’t the ones to talk to. they don’t know dick about retaining customers. that’s why they’re 1st tier.

• scoutermac says:

That is how I was able to lower my AT&T U-Verse Internet by $10/month.

• Sian says:

This. retention dept has the power to make calls like this. Just be sure you’re willing to go through with it if they try to call your bluff.

18. BigDragon says:

Watch out. If you cancel now at the $100 a month fee and try to get the $85 a month fee they may pull some crap about you not being a “new” customer because of previous service and therefore not eligible.

I really hate the way the cable TV and ISP industry works. Everything is so backwards. Getting accurate pricing is such a pain. Verizon recently jacked up rates significantly on me and I’m furious about it. My neighbor still pays the old rates since whomever she talked to at the company altered her bill. Ridiculous!

• Shouhdes says:

Generally people sign up for the promotional prices. And get mad when the promotional period is over and they are paying the regular price.

19. u1itn0w2day says:

They might have a price match ‘policy’ but apparently a price match procedure for matching themselves. Someone doesn’t know what they are doing.

Or someone is trying to get credit for a new install/contract.

20. IraAntelope says:

like timewarner, every customer gets a different price, and new customers always do better than established ones. go figure.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Most big companies in the corporate world especially have more incentives to get new customers than they do to maintain old ones(taken for granted).

I know people who switched wireless carriers and in less than a month they got offers from their old carrier which included phones,rates AND would pay their new carrier contract cancellation fee. How about just giving a long standing existing customer a free month’s service or a rate reduction without them asking.

Another problem in wireless, catv and fios is that the business is rated/analyzed on how many new contracts, customers or the rate of customers leaving v new customers.

But it all goes back to incentives for new customers. That’s why what should be simple adjustments to a customers account are treated as a new sale.

21. IraAntelope says:

if they operate like TW, you can call 3 cs reps and get at least 3 prices. take your pick.

22. shaman66 says:

Verizon has determined that applying common sense to the situation might bring you joy and they can’t have that.

23. Bionic Data Drop says:

Typical corporate bullshit.

“We love you and you won’t find a better price. Our customer service is outstanding. We just need you to sign a two year contract. If you sign with us, the next two years are going to be a slice of heaven for you.”

(After signing the contract) “Hi, my price isn’t what was promised, my service stinks, and my equipment doesn’t work properly.

“You signed a contract, you cannot leave us without paying a lofty fee. So if you don’t like our service, you can go fuck yourself.”

Signed,
    Every cell phone and satellite provider

• Shouhdes says:

His price is exactly what was promised.

His complaint is he found a different price he liked better.

• Bionic Data Drop says:

I was speaking generally of cell phone and cable/satellite consumers.

• Shouhdes says:

No, I get it.

But its not so much typical corporate bullshit, as much as, they offered him a price he found acceptable for the services. He said, okay, lets do that, it sounds like a good value. Then upon hearing about another potential offer that is now available, he wants that.

What obligation do they have to willingly say, yes, let us cut our revenue from you because we came out with a different promotion, even though you already accepted this one.

They don’t. They did offer to give him that price, but made it not worth his while, which is fair I think. If he was that concerned over the 10 dollars, go through the trouble of reinstalling.

• Shouhdes says:

Because everybody would obviously LIKE to pay less for the stuff they buy.

But what it comes down to is that you decided that the service or product had enough value to justify paying the price you payed. Maybe someone else had a different level of value associated with that product, but you said it was worth X amount.

• Bionic Data Drop says:

It’s just like an item you purchased at a store going on sale within a few days of you buying it. The store can make you return the item and buy a new one for the sale price instead of just price matching, but most of the time they aren’t going to be dicks about it. Since the OP was within his 30 days to cancel without penalty, they should’ve just given him the promotion and not been dicks about it.

24. ChuckLez says: