EECB Strikes Lenovo, Gets Customer New Laptop

Patricia’s refurbished laptop from Lenovo could have used more refurbishment. It had a scratched webcam and an unbearably rattly disc drive, and she didn’t find this acceptable for a device that she had just purchased. So she tackled the issue using a time-honored consumer technique: the executive e-mail carpet bomb. Lenovo’s Executive Relations team heard her plea, and sent her a new computer to replace her refurbished one.

I usually write in venting about horrible things that horrible companies do to me (namely Verizon), but I am actually writing to highlight some wonderful customer service I received.

I purchased a refurbished Lenovo laptop, only to find that the webcam had a scratch across it and the CD drive vibrated so loudly that I couldn’t hear music above the noise. I emailed them twice about my concerns (using your awesome executive email template), and received a response from Executive Relations.

They replaced my refurbished laptop with a completely brand new version, and furnished shipping both ways. I was very pleased with the response, the service, and the replacement laptop.

Well done, Lenovo! Other customers stuck with lousy laptops can launch their own EECBs by reading this classic article.

Comments

1. Steve H. says:

This should have been handled through normal support, not EECB. EECB is supposed to be used whenever normal customer service has failed to provide service.

• Tegan says:

Agreed. I’m glad her issue was resolved, but she didn’t even try to follow procedure first. Doing stuff like this on the first attempt dilutes the effect it will have when someone is honestly having trouble getting support.

2. dandadan says:

Having dealt with all the major laptop companies service departments as a laptop technician, I no longer recommend Lenovo products. The laptops are as good as the rest in the field. A major exception is TRY to get a real person on the phone at Lenovo. Talk about F___ked up. It took over an hour to get a real person on the phone, and guess what? Yep, I got the wrong department, they cheerfully offered to connect me to the proper department, and you guessed it, I got sent right back the wrong department, after another half hour of going through the labyrinthine phone system. I feel it is designed to frustrate people so they will just give up and go away.

Lenovo is the absolute worst of laptop manufacturers for any kind of service or support. You absolutely cannot get anyone of substance on the phone. Then they will fight you to do the warranty work (aka like the company losing 6 billion a year who hates its customers with a passion, of course that is Sony-never ever buy a Sony product as they are going off the cliff and rightfully so those arrogant bastards)

If for no other reason than a service and support network that is world class, competent and gets the job done (I have used them hundreds of times successfully) by a new Dell.

Stay away from refurbished (note the fur in the middle that means something) laptops unless you want to buy a pig in a poke. On the line they get about 15 seconds to “refurbish” a computer. Which essentially involves turning it on, if it boots it goes down one line, if it doesn’t, it goes down another for another 15 second try, if it boots again or has an intermittent, it goes out. You get a short warranty that they won’t honor unless you yell loud enough.

Disingenuous companies like Sony and Lenovo should be run out of the business and can go to hell. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

• Tegan says:

I’m really surprised you’ve had that kind of experience with Lenovo as a laptop tech. I also work in IT on a help desk for our company and frequently (5-6 times a month) have to call Lenovo to have a tech or part dispatched for warranty work. I always reach a real person in a timely fashion, and their service has always met the given SLAs. Unfortunately we recently switched laptop vendors from Lenovo to HP – not only are Lenovo’s machines superior, but their service definitely is as well.
      Not sure if this is the number you typically use, but if you find yourself needing to contact Lenovo support in the future, try 800-426-7378. That’s the number we always use, and have never had anyone from Lenovo try to drag their feet on performing warranty repairs.

• Mark_Lenovo says:

dandadan,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us. If you still need help, can you send me your details ? email me at markah@lenovo.com

I’d also like to offer a few comments about the refurbished systems offered through the outlet – these are provided with a 1 year warranty which is the same length as our standard warranty on most of our models, so we are standing behind the products.

Systems classified as refurbished have been opened and are therefore used. The amount of use and any signs of wear – minor scratches, etc – could vary. For those concerned about quality and still looking for a good deal, consider systems sold through our outlet that are classed as “redistributed”. These are new systems that were shipped to a customer and returned / canceled but the box was not opened – the original quality seals intact.

Best regards,

Mark

• shmoos says:

If you think Levano is bad, you haven’t dealt with Acer (Canada) warranty.I had a bad hard drive. (16 bad bits etc.) before warranty department would discuss it, they transferred me to a software company for them to decide if it was a software or hardware problem. Before starting they demanded a non-refundable $99.99 to look into the matter. After 6 hours they finally agreed it was a bad hard drive and authorized a replacement. I should have told them to shove it and saved all the hassle by just buying a new hard drive fo rless than the $99.99 they charged.
      Question: Does anyone know the name of a company with good customer service?