A Few More Recalls: Bunny Sippy Cups, Plastic Rattles, And Instant Knives

The Consumer Products Safety Commission announced these three recalls were announced too late to make yesterday’s Recall Roundup, but we wanted to share them as soon as possible since two of them could affect small children. We don’t want to see anyone get hurt, ever, but a little kid getting poked in the eye by an Easter-themed sippy cup shaped like a smiling bunny? That’s particularly undignified.

The product is the Target Home Bunny Sippy Cup, and users have reported cuts and bruises in the eye area. If you have one, return it to the Target store for a full refund, If you have any questions, contact Target about the recall at Target at (800) 440-0680 between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or read about it at the CPSC.

The second recalled item is this cool-looking Manhattan Toy rattle, sold at specialty stores since 2011. Those clear spheres on each end can shatter, giving babies some tiny plastic beads to choke on. Return the rattle to the store where it was purchased, or contact the company at (800) 541-1345 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or manhattantoy.com

rattle.jpg

The final recalled item is decidedly not for kids, and is a Gerber Instant knife. The spring mechanism that makes this knife so “instant” can fail, causing the knife to fold back up during use and putting the user’s fingers at risk. If you have one, return it to the store or contact Gerber at (877) 314-9130 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday, or gerbergear.com

instant.jpg

Comments

1. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

Should a baby food company be making knives?

//Yes, I know. Not the same.

2. clippy2.0 says:

I’ve not really heard anything bad about gerbers knives, I wonder if it was recalled due to the latch being too weak, or if it was too much of a switchblade and they were worried about lawsuit?

• MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

I did some extensive research and found this:

“The spring mechanism that makes this knife so “instant” can fail, causing the knife to fold back up during use and putting the user’s fingers at risk.”

• Quirk Sugarplum says:

So, let me see if I understand. Spring…mechanism…fail…knife…fold…fingers…risk.

No, I’m still not getting it. Where did you find that information? There’s some crucial detail missing somewhere. Maybe a diagram or something.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Your source is wrong. The spring mechanism has nothing to do with the failure; the actual problem is “The locking mechanism on the spring-assisted blade can fail to engage properly, causing the blade to fold during use, posing a laceration hazard.”

Makes much more sense that the locking mechanism would cause a danger than a spring mechanism because that would only prevent the knife from opening in the first place. You need to use better sources ;^)

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

I’ve not really heard anything bad about gerbers knives

I’ve had many Gerber knives, and they’re ok for the money. But they don’t have the greatest reputation with people who buy a lot of knives or who collect knives. I believe it has mostly to do with the steel they’re made with. If you’re into that sort of thing enough that the grade of steel makes a difference to you, Gerber is actually kind of low end.

• akronharry says:

Should I return the knife if I have already lost my fingers?

3. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

“since two of them could affect small children. “

The knife and the rattle?

4. mantene says:

I KNEW Gerber was training babies to be ninjas! No one would listen! But you can just SEE the murderous apathy in their eyes in those advertisements.

5. fearuncertaintydoubt says:

We bought one of those bunny sippy cups for our 1 year old son last month. The instant we gave it to him, it was obvious that there was no safe way to use it. Back it went to Target.

6. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

it seems clear that the bunny cup falls into the category of “you’ll put your eye out, kid” with that ear sticking up

7. HDTVTECH says:

“Instant” knives……..just add water?

8. smo0 says: