Google Play Store Is Now Selling Devices Directly To Customers

It’s not just about books, apps and audio now — the Google Play store unveiled its “Devices” section today, where it’s selling the unlocked GSM version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. This new section of the store will offer hardware directly to customers, something the company tried to do before with “eh” results.

TechCrunch says Google’s attempt to sell the unlocked, unsubsidized Nexus One didn’t work out so well in 2010, and instead, T-Mobile sold the handset at Best Buy stores.

So if something goes wrong with the phone you buy from Google, who do you contact for help — Google or your wireless provider?

Andy Rubin, Google’s SVP of Mobile and Digital Content says the company has “implemented new customer support services to improve the purchasing experience on Google Play,” but for service and provisioning, customers will have to deal with their carriers.

With an entire new division in the Google Play Store, that must mean other devices will be sold by Google, right? After all, as TechCrunch notes, it’s Devices, not Device. Tablets would be a good bet for the next offering, but as Google is staying mum, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Google Opens New ‘Devices’ Section In The Google Play Store To Sell The Unlocked Galaxy Nexus [TechCrunch]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Why would I work with my carrier if there is something wrong with the phone itself? Especially if service and product are purchased by separate companies.

• scoutermac says:

Depends on what the issue is. If it is service related your wireless provider. If it is with the phone itself google or replace it.

• Geekybiker says:

Because they love to play the game of ‘pass the buck’. Oh no sir, it couldn’t possibly be our service. We see you are using a non-branded device. It must be at fault.

2. golddog says:

Work with your carrier. Yeah right. T-mobile denies the existence of the Nexus One every chance they get. It was a great phone but you were screwed if it broke. Support looked like this:

Check Google Forums (get told to call T-Mo) -> Call T-Mo (get told to call HTC) -> Call HTC (get told to call Google) -> Check Google Forums -> Rinse -> Repeat.

I think Google is generally alright but they need to stay out of hardware until they can support it decently.

3. CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

“So if something goes wrong with the phone you buy from Google, who do you contact for help ‚Äî Google or your wireless provider?”
    Really you have to ask this?
    Phone=Manufacture
    Service=Provider
    It has always been this way.

Even if you get a subsized phone the manufacture warranty all you get with the phone unless you buy insurance.

Such a silly question to ask when everyone already knows the answer.

• incident_man says:

When I had a problem with a Samsung I bought through US Cellular, they sent it off to repair, and issued me a loaner phone while mine was being repaired…..all on their dime. Of course the phone was still under warranty, but I didn’t have insurance.

4. parliboy says:

Let me know if they get Google TV right. I might start to care about this.

5. evilpete says:

At&t will love this…

6. BurtReynolds says:

Start selling the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and you might have a customer. Although it is tempting to buy one and defect to Straight Talk.

7. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Wait, that means that Google will actually need to start interacting with their customers. This is probably a myth.

8. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Honestly, when the Nexus One was for sale, I wasn’t convinced smartphones had anything I wanted to be a part of.

I later decided I wanted in, and I had a tab open ready to buy. The next day I was actually going to buy but that was the day they announced they stopped taking orders.

I wound up getting the Nexus S, but wincing walking in to Best Buy to get it, so, just leave it open for when I’m ready for the next unlocked phone and I’m on it like white on rice

9. Geekybiker says:

The best part of this is it shows that the $550-600 ‘retail’ price of an unsubsidized phone is a crock. I’d rather by my phones unentangled by contracts and be able to switch service at any time when they displease me.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

No guarantees that the phones are equivalent in features however.

But you are correct. The prices on identical models are anything but consistent. My current phone is the Samsung Exhibit II 4G. Tmobile sells it retails for $330. ($300 off after rebate with a 2-year contract.) I bought the prepaid version for $200 retail. Seems then that $200 is the real retail price, and there’s an extra $130 tax as a reverse incentive to lock people into a contract.