Etsy Features Seller Who May Be Blatantly Violating Etsy Policy

While Etsy.com policy clearly states that the website is for people to sell handmade items, vintage goods, or crafting materials, the actual enforcement of those standards — especially in the “handmade” category — has always been a bit fuzzy, with the definition of “handmade” ranging from a hat you hand-knit out of yarn you spun yourself from the organic free-range alpacas on your farm to making a charm necklace by stringing together a bunch of charms you bought from China. While Etsy has shut down stores for reselling goods that are not handmade, the site drew the ire of the Internet over the weekend for featuring a shop that some feel blatantly violates the site’s policies.

Last Friday, the Etsy blog’s “Featured Seller” was a woman claiming to sell handmade furniture constructed out of salvaged wood, which would be great if she were actually making all the pieces herself.

But some folks, including Regretsy.com, smelled a possible rat when they checked out the seller’s Etsy page, which currently features 236 items for sale, ranging from the simple (planters and mirrors) to complicated chests of drawers. How could one person be making all this furniture on their own?

It looks like she may not be doing it on her lonesome. Regretsy found some identical items from a wholesaler specializing in furniture from Bali. In fact, the California dealer for that wholesaler has the same address as the Etsy seller.

Regretsy also found that the Etsy seller has many items listed over on Overstock.com (or O.co if you’re into that kind of thing).

The seller claims that all her furniture is “made” by her and four other carpenters, though that would still be a hefty workload given the sheer volume of items both on Etsy and Overstock.

A Regretsy reader was able to dig up some Bills of Lading for shipments marked “furniture” from the company in Bali to the woman featured in the Etsy blog post.

An e-mail from someone claiming to work for the company in Bali explains away the problem, saying that the Etsy seller “is the designer of the vast majority of the products we select the wood according to her expectation as to the color texture and arrangement… She sends us the details of required dimensions and styles… She is our exclusive distributer for all the products she designs , and for all our products in North and South America.”

Assuming this is true, the Etsy store at the center of this storm may not be strictly re-selling someone else’s items, but is it in the spirit of the site’s “handmade” policy? It would be one thing to source your own salvaged wood and construct furniture for sale. It’s another to find a company that specializes in salvaged wood, and then have them do a good chunk of the work for you.

Yesterday, Etsy chose to halt comments on the Featured Seller post, stating:

[I]f we missed critical information in our review process, that will be our fault, not the person behind this shop. I ask that you continue to treat one another with respect and understanding… I am closing comments on this article while we take the opportunity to investigate this matter more fully. I apologize for any turmoil this has caused, and thank you for vigilance in this matter.

The Etsy Featured Reseller: Ecologica Malibu [Regretsy.com]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

Who knew the Etsy crowd could be so militant?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

How else can I ensure I get hand-crafted vagina-themed artwork?

• MMD says:

I see how you got there!

• Tegan says:

He’s not wrong, though, and this is far from a unique example:

It wasn’t a dig at handmade things from women, there is a plethora of actual vagina-themed things on Etsy.

• MMD says:

Yes, they exist. So they’re the only things worth mentioning, right?

• MonkeyMonk says:

Well, considering that this is a post about Regretsy and Regretsy frequently makes a point of highlighting vagina- and penis-themed products on Etsy I thought this comment was fine.

• Kestris says:

Actually, REgretsy makes a point at highlighting the weird ass crap you can find there. Vaginas and Penis related things not with standing.

• iesika says:

They were the things s/he felt like mentioning in a single throwaway comment on consumerist.

I’m a woman. I’m a feminist. I support the right of men and women both to buy and sell handcrafted genitalia-themed merchandise on Etsy. I also support other the right to think that’s funny. Etsy is the only place most people know of where one can buy genitalia themed art that isn’t intended for a bachelor/ette party, hence the association. Loias could just have easily said “Where will I buy pendants that are rocks with words cut out of old books glued to them,” and the joke would have been the same.

If you’re not a troll, you’re doing a very good impression of one.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

How could I possibly know if the knit vagina-hat was actually made by a woman, anyway? Men are perfectly capable of crafting vagina-themed items, too.

MMD seems to be the one generalizing.

• MMD says:

It’s generalizing to question the logic behind your comment?

You happen to have chosen a gendered example to be the stereotype for the site. All I’m really doing is asking you to think about why.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You flat out said only woman can hand made goods. This is completely not true.

“Handmade stuff = stuff made by women = not valuable = easy fodder for overgeneralization and mockery. “

You’re the one being over general and mysogonistic here.

• Coffee says:

You know, Loias, I was defending your position earlier up on the thread, but I have to say, when you mentioned “hand-crafted vagina-themed artwork”, it was pretty clear in my mind that you were playing off a subset of Etsy’s female contributors. Maybe I’m overgeneralizing too, but that certainly seemed to be the case.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I personally have no idea who makes any of Etsy’s product, be it man, woman, or mass-producing machines.

If women are the prodominent makers of vagina products, I had no knowledge. If you asked me, “which gender is more likely to make these?” I’d probably say women, but I’d never assume that to be true without proof.

I’m still at a jaw-dropping loss as to how my comment got construed as a hate towards women. I really and truly am.

• Coffee says:

Meh…it’s one of the risks you take when you employ a snarky tone…but don’t let that stop you ;)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You keep staying classy, Coffee.

I appreciate the honest feedback, especially when not accompanied by flaming text wars.

• some.nerd says:

I love when the debate gets so heated the comments have to get all tight-n-SQUISHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! Mmmmm…

• crispyduck13 says:

Loias, I’m a chick and I honestly didn’t read your comment as sexist, then again I read Regretsy everyday and find the recurring vagina-themed product posts hilarious.

I have been known to jump down people’s throats for comments that were not meant to be sexists but still succeeded. This was not one of those cases. FYI there’s a lot of shit going on right now in the female rights arena, I’d anticipate easily ruffled internet feathers for the next few months at least.

Plus it remains a mysterious art to properly convey internet snark.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

What exactly is going on in that arena right now that is a big deal? Can’t say I’m up to date on my gender equality current events.

• VintageLydia says:

Anything having to do with hormonal birth control or abortion (more so than normal,) repealing of an equal pay law in Wisconsin, a comment from a Georgia state senator comparing women to livestock, and a few other things. I know my hackles are up and I’m more jumpy than normal. I can see where MMD came to her conclusion but I’ve been around enough to know you probably didn’t mean anything by it (mostly because I KNOW Etsy sellers who make and sell vagina and boob themed objects)

• Jules Noctambule says:

No, more like ‘lots of people on Etsy make things shaped like vulvas’. Seriously. Search it. Nice try, though!

• MMD says:

Nice try at dismissing me, but you’re just playing into my point.

• rmorin says:

What the hell are you talking about? Just stop and admit you jumped the gun and read too much into a completely innocent comment about Etsy’s wares.

Fact: Etsy is known for it’s quirky products like vagina-themed artwork, regardless of who is making it or what point the artwork is attempting to demonstrate.

For you to make the mental jump to Loias meaning it as anything more then a joke means that you were desperately LOOKING for something to be offended about today.

• crispyduck13 says:

I understand your frustration with the rampent patronizing crap lately, but I don’t think that’s what Loias meant. If you replaced “vagina-themed” with “penis-themed” the statement would still stand (and there truly is an assload of both on Etsy).

• MMD says:

I’m aware that these things exist, but they are not representative of the entire site.

You’re right, I’m sick of the patronizing crap, which is why wanted to shed light on it with my comment.

• crispyduck13 says:

Are you going to the WOW March at your state capital this Saturday? I’m not trying to be an ass, but if you’re pissed off at how women are generally being treated these days that would be a much better outlet than commenting on Consumerist. I’m going to mine!

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

That’s… that’s an awfully long way to go to shit on someone else’s joke. Someone here is indeed overgeneralizing, and it’s not Loias.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That wasn’t the intent at all. As other pointed out below, Etsy has a very large representation of vagina- and vulva-themed artwork.

It’s not a crack at women in any form, so why did I pick this particular example? The answer is simple, I believe most people consider that the most extreme fringe of hand-made products on the site. Meaning, they are probably the wierdest thing you can get there, plus the sheer volume of it makes it hilarious.

I didn’t mean to offend, but I think you were a little over-sensitive in this particular respect.

• Kestris says:

I’m sure if you tried, you could find a lot weirder crap on Etsy than vagina themed crap. Vagina themed crap is not the most extreme fringe items there, by far.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Haha, too true. So the problem then that I made fun of a mainstream Etsy product, and insulted their base consumer.

• Kestris says:

Which.. really isn’t hard to do, especially the ones who fall for the reseller crap. IE, the cupcakes.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Overgenerlization? You mean like the overgeneralization that only women can make hand-made products? The one you just made?

• MMD says:

It’s the overgeneralization that *many* people seem to make about handmade goods, and your comment plays right into that.

The same dismissiveness goes on surrounding Pinterest. It’s the 3rd largest social network now, but that doesn’t stop tech writers from blowing it off as trivial due to the amount of feminine-skewing material one may find there:

Don’t be part of the problem, Loias. You’re smarter than that.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You’re just putting words into my mouth.

My comment was about the products themselves, not the manner they are created, their quality, worth, importance, or quality.

It’s just damn hilarious how much vagina-themed products there are on Etsy. Period.

Haha, period, vagina? Get it? Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Fanny’s your Aunt. Bob’s your Uncle. AMIRITE?!!

• Coffee says:

It was a wisecrack, not thinly veiled misogyny…if you’re going to take offense at harmless jokes like this one, you’ll have less credibility when someone actually makes a comment worth attacking because you’re “that person who always takes offense at everything”…just saying.

• MMD says:

“Offense” is a strong word. I’m not going to lose sleep over this. But people usually jump all over commenters who make racist stereotypes – even here on Consumerist! Why shouldn’t a sexist stereotype be pointed out?

• Coffee says:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and sure, Loias is making a joke about a subset of Etsy’s sellers, but I don’t know if his comment is much different than my making a joke about not having a Pinterest account because I’m not a woman planning a wedding. Are both statements generalizations? Sure. Does either one really fall under the category of sexism? It’s debatable…I don’t really think so, and you happen to, so I guess it’s a matter of perspective.

It reminds me of an ongoing skit in the show Portlandia about two earthy-crunchy lesbians who own a bookstore. Yes, it plays off stereotypes about people in Portland and a subset of lesbians in particular, but I don’t find it offensive because I happen to know that the show has its tongue firmly in cheek and isn’t really trying to cast aspersions on lesbians. It’s just an exaggerated parody.

Is the line between sexism and parody a blurred one? Yep, and when I’m not sure whether it’s been crossed, I usually look at other people’s input against which to measure my reaction. In this case, the consensus is that Loais’s comment was pretty harmless. Like I said, you’re free to disagree.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Because this was in no way sexist. Asking where to get vagina-themed artwork, even as a joke, is not sexist. Especially when that is one of the quirky things the site is known for. The only sexism here is your statement equating things made by women with worthlessness. Those are your values that you’re projecting onto this statement. Why are you assuming that only women make vulva-inspired art? I know plenty of guys who are fans of them, and it would not be outside the realm of possibility for a male artist to make these items. For further clarification, the following joke is sexist:

Why was Helen Keller such a bad driver?

Because she was a woman!

Merely musing that one wonders where one might find hand crafted items fashioned after a rather lovely bit of anatomy is not.

• Peri Duncan says:

Because this is not a sexist stereotype. Maybe a little research before jumping to insulting conclusions. Even Regretsy.com, run by a woman, constantly highlights the vagina-obsessed crafters and the idiocy behind it.

• iesika says:

Or Loias might be having fun with the fact that people really do sell hand-crafted vagina-themed artwork on Etsy.

Laughing at a ridiculous product does not equal misogyny. I’m willing to bed Loias would think hand-crafted penis necklaces were just as funny (I know I would).

• Peri Duncan says:

I see you’ve never seen what they sell on Etsy.

• Blueskylaw says:

Craigslist – Services – Skill’d Trade

• eldritch2k4 says:

You want to see how ridiculous it can get? Come on down to a little podunk town named Berkeley Springs, WV the first weekend following the first Monday in October for their Apple Butter Festival.

A bit of a misnomer, as only four or five groups actually make Apple Butter anymore; most vendors are interested in selling hippy skirts and jewelery. Set up a booth next to one of these hippies and try selling mass produced items.

2. MonkeyMonk says:

Does Etsy have any credibility left to destroy? I don’t buy there any more since it’s inundated with resellers and copycats.

This woman is obviously reselling cheap crap she bought from a Bali wholesaler and passing it off as her own. On the extreme off chance she is designing some of the pieces this would be akin to IKEA designers opening up their own Etsy shop and selling their “handmade” furniture.

• whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

That’s kind of weak — why would you stop buying things there rather than just casting a more critical eye when you consider buying an item?

• MonkeyMonk says:

Weak? Why should I support a company that routinely betrays it’s own rules and mission statement for the sake of a quick sale?

• impatientgirl says:

I highly doubt the do it intentionally. This instance seems like just an accident, lack of oversight…

• MonkeyMonk says:

Really? Did you read the whole article? This was a featured seller on the site — complete with an “artisan” interview with photos from her “workshop” where she claims to “handcraft” 100s of pieces of furniture a month. It seems VERY unlikely Etsy isn’t complicit in this and their 100% lack of action on the matter doesn’t look good either.

Etsy is big business now with aspiration of going public in the near future. Relying on often flakey handcrafters isn’t a good long-term business strategy for them anymore. As long as it looks handcrafted they don’t seem to care where it was made or by whom.

3. Derigiberble says:

Not shocking at all. Etsy is filled with resellers and importers and has no reason to crack down on it because they make tons of money off of the listing fees for these high-volume sellers.

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

Other sites are the same way. The algorithims and coding that vault certain sellers into “featured” or “hot ticket” status are independent from the fact that they may be violating certain policies.

Case in point. One of the shirt sites I sell on used to put certain products up on a pedestal as “featured” or “hot” item, even though they had already removed them because the items violated some IP issue.

4. BelleSade says:

Oh please, Etsy allows resellers and copycats and they don’t care whatsoever. This has been a problem for them since the start. It’s the reason I stopped selling there, I’m a very well trained silversmith and since of course I had to price my items higher than the re-sellers, they’d sell, I wouldn’t, and Etsy just would not shut down the stores.

• MMD says:

I’m curious – where do you sell instead?

• BelleSade says:

I sell primarily through consignment at bridal stores now. I’m afraid of selling online a bit now since I’ve seen so so many people being copied after they posted their work online.

• Shmoodog says:

Yea I heard a guy on NPR saying he can’t make a living as a song writer anymore since as soon as he sells a song it is stolen on the Internet and sold for 90% cheaper. Where’s the think tank to solve that problem.

• Kestris says:

Instead, they shut down the stores of those that speak out against the resellers.}:/

5. crispyduck13 says:

Yeah, they’ll “investigate” until everyone forgets about it and will then return to collecting those fat transaction fees from a prolific shop. Etsy has gotten so big that they now need more revenue to continue as they are, with those fancypants offices in NYC. So they continually brush aside reseller warnings from individual users and the internetz in favor of financial gain. It’s understandable, really, those moustache straws aren’t cheap.

Don’t get me wrong, I think businesses should thrive and profit, and they have obviously found a niche to fill – kudos. However, the problem with them is that they are profiting on what is essentially fraud, as they’re own website states that the following is NOT allowed to be listed:

Handmade goods created by someone else.

But shit like that is all over Etsy now (as is evidenced by the featured seller in question), and they seem to be quite hesitant to do anything more than shut down a few small-time shops.

• Kestris says:

There’s also rumors that they may be getting an IPO this year, so ramping up the numbers via resellers is only going to make them look better, while driving away the legitimate handmade sellers.

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’ve encountered a share of etsy resellers, but not the bad ones. I don’t like the ones who pass mass manufactured goods as homemade, but the ones who are legitimately reselling vintage goods are fine in my book. It provides a good alternative to eBay.

• crispyduck13 says:

Selling vintage stuff that is at least 20 years old is not really “reselling” in relation to the term popularized by Regretsy, and is an approved catagory on Etsy. So vintage sellers are still valid sellers.

7. Jules Noctambule says:

Metafilter has a bit on it, too: http://www.metafilter.com/115181/Can-you-buy-plausible-deniability-anywhere-online-now-that-Etsys-run-completely-out-of-it

I think this might be the most press I’ve ever seen on Etsy’s inability to stick to its own TOUs when there’s money to be made; maybe there will be enough fallout that they either start to clean up their act or finally drop the ~handmade green eco indie~ facade and admit they just want to be a fixed-price version of Ebay.

8. Kestris says:

This is not the first time Etsy has done this, it will not be the last. There’s a reason I no longer sell there. There’s a reason several well known (to the beadwork community) sellers shut down their shops.

And that’s because resellers are Etsy’s cash cow and they will do little to nothing about them beyond coaching them into ‘Etsy legal’ status.

Check out the blog ‘Callin’ Out on Etsy’ ( http://etsycallout.wordpress.com/ ), you’ll see just how rampant the reseller is is.

The handmade only slogan hasn’t been legitimate on Etsy for several years now.

9. SoCalGNX says:

Etsy will do nothing about this seller. They had a similar event last year over wire cloches with a seller. That one involved a spot in Country Living magazine (who did nothing at all to address the problem that they misrepresented someone to their readers). The woman imported the items from Asia and claimed she made them herself. It resulted in thousands of dollars for the seller and lots of fees for Etsy.
    People who want to purchase things on Etsy need to be aware that many of the products there, particularly wedding jewelry, are not at all handmade.
    The term “handmade” is interpreted by factories to mean that a human touched it. Not that an artist made an individual item.

• Aria Clements says:

lulusplendor, one of the biggest sellers of wedding jewelry, is a reseller, yet etsy has never done anything.

In fact, etsy claims that any time a picture used by an etsy-seller is on another site, that it must mean the OTHER site stole the picture, even when the picture on etsy has another website’s watermark still on it.

10. Audiyoda28 says:

Wasn’t it Steve Jobs who said something to the effect of ‘real artists don’t create, they steal’?

Who really cares if this isn’t handmade – if it’s the style/type of furniture you’re looking for then buy it based on it’s design not because it might be handmade. Even if it is handmade I’m willing to bet the design concept was taken from someone else. I’m fairly certain that nothing is original any longer…and that’s fine with me – one less thing to worry about in this world.

• MMD says:

I think you’re conflating originality with handmade. I agree with you in that there’s very little on Etsy (or anywhere) that can truly claim to be “original”. But that’s not the point here.

However, the value of a handcrafted item is in its method of production, as distinguished from something that’s mass produced. If Etsy’s going to position itself as a seller of handcrafted goods, it dilutes the value of its brand and the value of the goods that would be sold there if mass-produced items are also sold.

11. eezy-peezy says:

I was SO hoping the Consumerist would pick up this story!!! I love the way Regretsy outed this fake, Regretsy is one of my favorite websites!!

• Hawkins says:

I agree. I love Regretsy. It’s run by “Helen Killer,” who is actually voice actress and comedienne April Winchell.

She cracks me up.

I don’t know why she goes to the trouble of investigating these pompous frauds. Maybe just because it’s so damn funny.

12. mistyfire says:

I love Regretsy.

13. econobiker says:

Not mentioned but-
    Does this company test the boat paint for lead or other toxins? My understanding is that often boat “bottom” paint is or was very toxic to inhibit the growth of marine algae or barnacles. Reclaimed wood might be from older boats which had this paint on them at one point.

• Kestris says:

Many people have asked that, both on Etsy and on REgresty. Mariana and by extension, Kurt, have not deigned to address those concerns.

• Aria Clements says:

I’m tempted to contact the CPSC about this. Lead paint is still very common in many parts in the world but is illegal to use or import here, and who knows what other chemicals were used on the bottoms of the boats that isn’t legal for use in household furniture here.

14. SteveHolt says:

All Etsy ever does it close threads and mute people. Its so lame. They don’t care one bit about resellers. As long as they get those listing fees, they’re happy.

Also, Consumerist: This kind of thing has been happening at Etsy for YEARS.

15. crispyduck13 says:

Fresh from the Etsy store in question:

“Forget that faux-distressed catalog furniture. Ecologica‚Äôs designs take full advantage of the natural windswept state of salvaged wood, maintaining weathered paint and notched surfaces. Launched by Mariana Schechter, the studio keeps it ethical by purchasing wood from abandoned structures in developing communities. – Ecologica Furniture is not is a one man operation, all our products are hand made – “

Emphasis mine. Quite the Freudian slip, no?

16. bbeta says:

I don’t understand why this is not bigger news. It’s been happening on Etsy for a long time. They are fraudulently claiming that their sellers are all artisans or selling vintage goods, leading consumers to pay more money than they should for mass-produced goods.

Why isn’t there any real outrage about this? Where are all the news stories that expose Etsy for these practices?

I’m actually asking. What does it take to get this stopped and protect consumers?

• LunaMakesThings says:

It’s not just shoppers, the sellers are also being taken advantage of. We pay Etsy for our listings, with the understanding we are buying space in a handmade and vintage marketplace, and competing against other artists and crafters. You simply cannot compete in price with mass producers if you’re making things by hand, so the sellers justifiably feel like we’re being ripped off too.

17. SmokeyBacon says:

This isn’t surprising at all. I don’t really buy much on etsy because the sellers I knew that did make their own stuff are gone,and because you just never know anymore. I have purchased some supplies there that I couldn’t find elsewhere but in that case I know that it is probably a reseller.

18. Aria Clements says:

The seller from your first link was closed down because her mother made part of one of the items in her shop, which IS allowed per etsy policy that states that someone else can make a part of an item as long as the seller maintains control and personally produces the majority of the item.

The woman behind Ecologica is a designer, nothing more. She doesn’t make the majority of any of her items, and has been shown to be a distributer. It is against etsy policy to outsource the making of items. She IS a reseller. She is reselling items she bought from someone else. It doesn’t matter that she designed them, she paid someone else to make the finished item, and there is evidence of the items being imported, though she claims they’re made in Malibu in her little shop.

Due to etsy’s size and clout in the craft world, I would actually like to see the government investigating what fraud may be going on behind the scenes. Etsy promises hand-crafters a market place dedicated to us and as free from resellers as possible, then deliver a market place where resellers not only run rampant, but have been featured on the front page more times than I can count at this point. The icing on the cake is featuring a reseller in a full article, then, once the proof has been given, continuing to allow her to sell, and even putting her on the front page AGAIN. I’m not all for the feds sticking their hands into everything, but in this instance, people are paying money for one thing and getting another, and that seems fraudulent.

I’ve been lucky that what I sell isn’t the sort of thing so easy to mass-produce (buyers are more comfortable buying fancy gowns from someone in the US than from a Chinese knock-off company more likely to use cheap fabrics), but I’m letting most of my jewelry listings lapse because there’s just no point anymore without pricing my jewelry below supplies cost. Many others who only make jewelry, or who make furniture or certain other goods, have been royally screwed. As a buyer, almost half of what I bought, even from US-based sellers, has ended up being mass-produced stuff (the “Made in China” stickers on things is a good indicator or something not being made by someone in the US…)

I’m really disgusted and disappointed that etsy is throwing its hand-crafters under the bus in favor of resellers while continuing to swear that reselling isn’t allowed. There is NO EXCUSE for this, especially when the reseller’s own “evidence” in her blog includes calling her a distributer of products someone ELSE hires OTHER people (two degrees away from her!) to make.

19. Aria Clements says:

The only time I’ve seen a reseller shut down was when I contacted the owner of the photos and she contacted etsy. It still took several more weeks. Etsy is slow as slugs to remove non-legit sellers, yet have shut down people like me (temporarily) for very minor infractions, in my case, linking to my personal website for more pics. (There is a policy in place saying you can’t link to another site someone could buy off of, and it didn’t matter that I charged 50% MORE on my personal website, meaning no one was going to buy from my site after seeing the etsy listing.)

20. Calton says:

“An e-mail from someone claiming to work for the company in Bali explains away the problem, saying…She is our exclusive distributer for all the products she designs , and for all our products in North and South America.”

A little research shows the bogosity of that statement: the Bali company’s website (allfromboats.com) lists six distributors in North America — a detail unlikely to have escaped anyone actually working for All From Boats.

21. andi_bird says:

Months ago my friend who has a store on Etsy noticed that someone on Etsy stole one of her designs and used it verbatim on pendants. When contacted, Etsy told her to deal with it herself. Etsy did not want to be bothered with blatant piracy.