Woot Changes T-Shirt Sizing Without Warning, Is Still Totally Awesome

Wendy is a fan of deal-a-day site Woot’s shirt-a-day site, and owns quite a few of their shirts. She wrote in with two purposes: first, to warn other people who love the company’s shirts that the sizing has changed, and also to praise the site for sending her out a shirt in the correct size with no fuss.

There have been some articles recently both good and bad about woot.com. I’ve been a fan for quite a while and now even my parents check it everyday. I especially love their shirts. I think I have close to 15. Recently their prices went up to $12 from $10, but hey that’s still a great value. Well during this price change they also changed who they got their shirts from, previously it was from from American Apparel. I used to be a woman’s XL. I lost some weight and started ordering Women’s L then down to M.

So, when they had a great Stormtrooper Casual Friday shirt I ordered it in Woman’s M. Well, I was quite surprised when I got the shirt, it was huge. At first I thought I ordered a men’s. No, the new medium is actually bigger than the old X-large.

I sent an email to customer support and asked if this one time they can let me make an exchange for a new Women’s S; since they never sent out an announcement about the size difference I feel it’s warranted.

I got an email back from [T] in customer service and not only are they sending me the correct size but told me to keep the other shirt as long as I find it a good home. Thanks for keeping a long time customer happy.

Comments

1. akurah says:

Woot had quite a bit of warning about the changing in t-shirt sizes. This is merely an example of Wendy’s failure to pay attention (not a huge issue, in my opinion, but it is the reason for the write-in) and Woot’s fantastic customer service .

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

i ordered a bunch of the older American Apparel woot shirts, and will usually check the site every few weeks. I was totally unaware of the sizing change.

• curiositykt says:

I also order periodically and didn’t notice the information about change, but it does explain why the one I bought a few weeks ago was entirely different fit than the ones from a few months ago.

I don’t read their blog, I just get the t-shirt updates in my RSS feed.

• JamesBenjamin says:

They posted the size change in the RSS feed for the shirts. I saw it.

• nbs2 says:

So, as a super-rare orderer of shirts, do you have a comparison chart or link to one? A quick Google didn’t have the result I was looking for. I used to order a Men’s Large and it sounds like I’d be ordering a Small…

• Pastry Minion says:

I don’t think the men’s sizing changed quite as much as the women’s. I wear a 10-12 in women’s clothing and I found the XL women’s in the AA size to be uncomfortably tight. I haven’t tried the new shirts yet though.

• JReedNet says:

Yup, I was aware of the change and I also remind my girlfriend every time she mentions that she might get one.

2. bluline says:

I’ve noticed that shirt sizes are changing pretty much universally. My guess is that it’s because we’ve become a nation of fatties.

• j2.718ff says:

Not long ago, I bought a shirt. Its size was labeled: “M (USA), L (Europe)”
      In other words, Europe calls this shirt large, but in the US, it’s a medium.

• The Porkchop Express says:

i wear a medium here, and I’m not big by any means, got some shirts from south america, italy and russia. the mediums are tight and the necks are really small. what the hell is it about the necks?

• dolemite says:

You know what’s REALLY scary? They are changing on the fly, spontaneously. For instance, I have a bunch of large t-shirts that I’ve worn for years. This year, they’ve all grown smaller, almost overnight. I honestly can’t wear some of them to work anymore, because they’ve gotten so small my belly juts out.

3. chiieddy says:

What akurah said. Woot gave plenty of advance warning they were moving to an off-shore T-shirt provider and posted it in their blog several weeks ago.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Right, because customers routinely follow retailer blogs.

I remember that they sold off blank shirts a while back, but didn’t think anything of it until now. This is the first I’ve heard of the sizes measurements changing.

• Pastry Minion says:

I’m glad Wendy got Woot to help her out, but she failed to read the site.

Copied and pasted from *today’s* shirt.woot, where it appears in a BRIGHT YELLOW box, as it does on every single shirt.woot sale, at least that I’ve noticed since the sizing change:

Remember the Supreme Law of Online Apparel Shopping: check the sizing chart before you buy.

4. psm321 says:

Umm, I’m pretty sure they sent an e-mail to customers about it and they printed warnings in every shirt sale for quite a while (and still have a reminder to check your size)

• psm321 says:

Ok so the e-mail was indirect (via an e-mail about the blank tee sale for the old ones). But regardless, I don’t even buy many woot shirts and I was well aware of the change. Not sure how you could miss it.

5. Supes says:

This was announced about a month and a half ago on the site:

The change was mainly for the purpose of cutting costs, even though they provided many explanations. Overall people were okay with the change, with some legitimate complaints about the sizing of Women’s Ts (as described here), the quality of the fabric, or the fact that the shirts are no longer made in the USA.

6. RogerX says:

I was a huge wooter – over 40 woots in the first two years I was a customer, plus about 15 shirts. I quit when they:
    1) Shipped three hard drives loose in a box with no padding, which arrived dead
    2) Offered to replace them, with their apologies
    3) Did not reply for two weeks regarding status of replacement drives
    4) Finally stated they had no more and I needed to pay to return them for a refund (I asked for a return postage label and was denied)
    5) Told me it would be 10 – 30 business days before my refund check would arrive, following confirmation of receipt of the drives
    6) When I write to ask for a credit on future orders in the amount of my shipping costs, I received a terse email stating they would no longer be discussing this situation with me.

Haven’t wooted since. :(

7. Alan says:

I’m a fan of the woot shirts, and my sister did talk about the size changes like two months ago.

Personally I’m glad they did change the sizes, maybe I can get back down to a L now.

8. SmokeyBacon says:

See, I had no idea about the tshirt site (never really got into Woot but I love me a good tshirt) and now reading that they had such good customer service, I will be sure to head over and check it out. So they not only kept a customer, but may have added a new one since I heard this story. This is why good customer service is a great idea – it helps to build word-of-mouth.

9. curiositykt says:

YES! finally the woman’s will fit me and I won’t have to hem the mens!

10. adrienna says:

Nice that they did that for her, but they didn’t do it for me (or god knows how many other customers). I had already pretty much decided not to buy from them again – this seals it.

11. shoelace414 says:

I don’t woot, because I can’t figure out how to get it into Google Reader, so I don’t have to go to the site every day.

12. CalicoGal says:

I get my woot daily email, so I dont look directly at the site unless I am interested in the item. It has been a while since I got a shirt.

I am glad to see this, and that the new womens are more woman-shaped and less square. I am not square, so I don’t like my shirts to be!!

13. speaky2k says:

I love my Shirt Woots I have bought, I just checked and found out that I ordered 18 of them for myself as well as 4 for other people. I knew they changed shirt makers and the sizes were going to change. This was announced multiple places and times over the past several months. I bought the same shirt (Stormtrooper Casual Friday), and the new men’s large shirts are not drastically different in size compared to the old ones. Perhaps the shirt the OP got had the wrong tag put in from the factory. One other good thing about Shirt Woot is their service, I got the Poison shirt (http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=17773) and it was missing a small patch of color that I didn’t notice, they contacted me and asked if mine was missing since other people did notice … I responded that it was missing and they sent me a replacement and told me to keep the original, which if you didn’t know that color was missing you wouldn’t think anything was wrong with the shirt.

• MMD says:

The men’s sizes are pretty similar to the old system, but the women’s sizes are *drastically* different now

14. cameronl says:

I love Woot just for those stupid monkey comics in the daily email.

Oh, Mortimer, what shenanigans are you up to this time?

15. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

The worst thing about the sizing change is that the new Small is larger than the old Medium. The new small is a bit big on me and I have no options for sizing down from there. : (

They really need an Extra Small option.

16. momof2kids says:

I love WOOT and buy something occasionally that catches my eye. The commentary over there is priceless in and of itself though.

17. chrisgoh says:

If you look at their site right now, there is nothing that indicates that the sizing has changed, only that you should check your sizing, which has always been on the site. Been ordering from them for years, I know my size. What they should have on the page is a big warning that the size you ordered before may not be the same now. Also the sizing chart could have a cross reference of old sizes to new.

18. wlbell says:

I’ve been buying woot shirts for a long time. I see one I like and I click the button and order it, I don’t always scroll down to the bottom of the page. This is where the “warning” can be found. Why is it not on the next page where you pick your size? That is where people most often look for their size chart. Oh, it was in their RSS feed, yeah I’m sure everyone reads that every day.

• chrisgoh says:

Exactly, how about a “You are about to order x size. We know you’ve ordered x size y times before, but we’ve changed our sizing, so think again. We’d suggest z size as a comparable replacement.”

19. BrooklynKnight says:

I wont be buying any woot shirts till they start selling them in 5x and 6x Mens.

Namely because smaller ones wont fit.

20. tkates says:

I haven’t ordered a Woot shirt in a while. If I hadn’t seen this thread, I wouldn’t know about the sizing change. If I had never ordered a Woot shirt, I wouldn’t know about the sizing change either.

“Can’t you read” is a silly argument in cases like this.

21. dwfmba says: