Lawsuit: KFC Franchisee Fired Employees For Refusing To Serve Expired Chicken

A former manager at a KFC eatery in Oregon alleges that the owner of his franchise not only ordered employees to serve expired chicken, but also that employees who refused to do so were fired.

According to the lawsuit filed yesterday in a state Circuit Court, KFC policy requires that all fresh chicken be served or discarded within 12 days of the “kill date” stamped on the box.

The lawsuit alleges that in 2010, a different manager had been ordered by the franchise owner to serve chicken that was “turning green and was several days beyond the expiration date.” Instead, that manager threw away the chicken, against orders of her bosses. After the owner discovered the chicken had been tossed away, that manager says she was fired.

The plaintiff in the lawsuit alleges that he was directed by the franchisee to serve expired chicken as early as August 2010.

In Feb. 2011, he says one of his bosses changed the label on a box of fresh chicken to make it look like the chicken had been shipped frozen and thawed, and thus okay to serve.

Soon after he voiced his objection, the plaintiff says he was accused of being insubordinate.

The lawsuit alleges that the franchise’s general manager resigned in April 2011 because “he could not stand serving rotten chicken to families anymore.”

The plaintiff says he gave thought to resigning but opted instead to tell the franchisee that he would not serve spoiled chicken and would notify the Oregon Health Dept. if he was directed to serve expired food again.

Soon after, claims the suit, the plaintiff was told there had been further complaints about his management. The plaintiff states that these complaints were baseless.

During this conversation, he alleges that the franchisee told him that “serving expired food was not a big deal.”

In the end, he was fired for “arguing with leadership,” and “not creating an environment of team work with leadership and owner.”

You can read the entire complaint at CourthouseNews.com.

Comments

1. tekmiester says:

Hey at least it didn’t contain “pink slime”!

• OutPastPluto says:

The pink slime approach here would be to throw some ammonia on this chicken and then make nuggets out of it.

• eldritch2k4 says:

Actually, the pink slime approach would be to throw this chicken out and get some fresh bones with some meat still on them.

As you apparently have no idea how the “pink slime” works, allow me to explain it to you using relatively small words:

1. Most meat is stripped from bones of refrigerated animal.
        2. Bones run to end of line. As this happens, temp rises due to not being refrigerated anymore.
        3. Bones are collected and the remaining traces of meat are knocked from the bone by water jets.
        4. Because temps above 40°F are possible, meat collected thusly is sprayed with a quick burst of Ammonium hydroxide, which IS different than the household cleaner, to make sure any bacteria that may have collected is killed.

To head off some more stupid: the amount of Ammonia in “pink slime” is approximately 0.02 grams of ammonia per 100 grams of meat. In case you don’t have a frame of reference, that’s 1/6th of what Cheddar cheese contains (0.11g per 100g of cheese). Other things that have more ammonia are ketchup, potato chips and onions.

Regardless of what stupid noise Jamie Oliver may be claiming, “pink slime” is just meat.

• 2 Replies says:

MSM chicken would actually be healthier than rotting chicken.

• Martha Gail says:

Nope, just green slime.

2. Major Tom Coming Home says:

The colonel must be turning in his grave over what KFC has become. From what I understood the food was actually good in the early days.

3. az123 says:

I would imagine that KFC has some way that a manager or employee could have sent a complaint to corporate that this is happening. Big monster companies do not want one owner to cause a major problem so they probably would have looked into a store manager complaining to them about something like that.

• ChilisServer says:

Corporate investigations only work if higher ups care. I worked for a Chili’s store that had deplorable conditions and practices clearly in violation of health code. I tried for a full year to convince corporate take a look, and nothing was ever done about it. I complained to the health department and quit because I was sick of dealing with the nastiness.

Also, I’d like to point out, franchises don’t have the same ladder of power that corporate stores do. Perhaps there wasn’t anyone else to go to (that would listen, anyway).

4. snowtires says:

If you value your body, you will never, ever eat fast food. Not just because it’s bad for you, but because things like this happen a LOT, in all branches of fast food.

I worked for Dominos a year or so ago (hey, times were tough, especially for a freelancer) and ended up quitting after a couple of weeks, because the way they make pizza is disgusting (and my boss sucked).

When making a pizza, you make it on top of a rail + hopper system, where the rails support the pizza, but the space between the rails allows for excess ingredients to fall through and be caught by the hopper. When the pizza is made, the ingredients that fell into the hopper are put back into their respective bins. To some extent that’s gross enough in and of itself, but the worst part is that some people would just let the hopper fill up with discarded ingredients all day, only to empty it at the end of their shift, DIRECTLY BACK INTO THE ‘FRESH’ INGREDIENTS. Fucking disgusting.

• snowtires says:

Keeping in mind, the ‘hopper’ is just a big tupperware container that is completely unrefrigerated and completely exposed to fresh air.

• Kusac says:

Yes, I had worked in a Domino’s as well, with the same situation. My bigger beef with that would be my allergy concerns. I can’t eat fruit or tomatoes, but if those toppings had mixed and put back in, I couldn’t eat any of the ones I could have for fear of cross contamination.

It’s bad enough that if they mistakingly put a topping on a pizza, they would take them off, regardless if there was sauce or something on them, and put them back in the container to contaminate the rest. Whenever I did risk eating the food, I had to take fresh from new packages to ensure I wouldn’t get sick… and even then, that poker to prevent bubbles wasn’t cleaned often, or at all, unless I did it myself and watched the oven the entire time.

Allergies? What’s that?

• snowtires says:

Oh, totally. There were always pieces of sausage in with the mushrooms, bits of ham in the tomatoes, tomatoes in the pineapples, just gross, gross stuff. I think I saw maybe one other person wash their hands, the entire time I worked there, whereas I washed them after every pizza I made.

• DrPizza says:

I’m sorry, but I think you need help for your obsessive compulsive disorder. Washing your hands between pizzas? That’s excessive, unless you took a smoke break between pizzas, or you went to the bathroom between pizzas, or you handled *dirty* things between pizzas. The pineapple touched the sausage? Who cares. The only one it would matter to is the guy who ordered a pepperoni and sausage pizza and got one tiny chunk of pineapple in there. There’s pizza sauce on some of the pepperoni slices that got put in with the rest of the pepperoni? I could see if it was raw meat or something (28 years in the pizza business and I’ve never seen raw meat put on pizza – the sausage topping and hamburger toppings are both precooked before being added as a topping on the pizza. They’re probably pre-cooked before even being shipped to the individual Dominoes restaurants.

Heck, I volunteered my time to make pizza for a (huge, high volume) fund raiser a few weeks ago. The other workers were falling behind, so I replaced 3 of the workers making pizza. I used my hands to just wipe the pizza sauce on the dough (instead of carefully spreading it out with the back of a ladle). Then, with my sauce covered hands, I reached in to the cheese and grabbed a bunch of cheese, partially cleaning the sauce off my hands by wiping it onto the cheese. I tossed the cheese on the pizza and then grabbed pepperoni & threw it all over the pizza. And, you want to know how much of a difference it makes as far as germs? ABSOLUTELY NONE. And you want to know how much of a difference it makes as far as the final product? ABSOLUTELY NONE.

• snowtires says:

Apparently trolls like pizza, too.

• snowtires says:

Also, the way you just described making those pizzas makes me want to throw up. Please stop touching other people’s food. Also, maybe you should think about washing your hands more. There’s nothing OCD about not wanting f’ing tomato sauce on your hands, it’s called proper hygiene.

• shepd says:

The best chefs in the world gets their hands into people’s food while they’re cooking it. A pinch of this, a dash of that, pick up the chicken and slice it, etc, etc. As long as whenever you’re hands are proper dirty (ie: Germs, like handling the chicken, or you just answered the phone, or whatever) you wash them, it is perfectly normal.

No chef washes their hands after putting a pinch of salt on something. And spreading sauce with your hands is really not a big deal, if they are washed. The only reason you see people using a ladle is because that way you don’t have to wash your hands. :)

• awesome anna says:

He just said he WASN’T washing his hands… and what if he had a cut on his hand, or rubbed his nose or eyes, or touched his hair. It’s all disgusting. You’d be surprised how easily germs can be spread because someone -thinks- their hands are clean. There’s no reason food handlers cannot wear gloves.

• snowtires says:

Plus, why would anyone use their bare hands to scoop marina sauce? Are we still living in caves? World-class chefs touch food with their hands, that’s true, but they’re not morons about it. Then again, I guess you don’t have to be a world-class chef to make a pizza.

• Jason TS says:

You should not feel secure just because an employee is wearing gloves. In some ways it’s WORSE than not wearing them. People who wear gloves tend to touch things (like hair, face, or anything) and continue working without washing or changing them out because in their minds they have on those gloves to protect them.

Gloves provide minimal, or even less protection unless the employee has a cut or something. It’s done at some places so that the perception of food safety is preserved. Overall the behavior of the employees and management is much more important though.

Hand scooping liquids like sauce is bizarre.

• Taliskan says:

Somehow, for thousands upon thousands of years humans survived without gloves and washing their hands between all prep stages. The odd germ and virus sneaking in your food won’t kill you unless you are severely immunodeficient – and even then those people are generally not mixing with the general populace. If anything it’s helping keep your immune system strong.

While I agree the hand scooping of sauce is a bit weird, the rest of it doesn’t sound that bad. When you cook do you wear a hazmat suit? That might be the only way to ensure that you are not getting anything “disgusting” from your body into the food you are preparing (sweat, shedding hair/skin, tears). And you should then cook in a vacuum… dust contains all sorts of nasties and besides it also is mostly dead skin cells where bacteria can live! But even then, the ingredients, you don’t know where they came from… maybe they grew in DIRT and UNCLEAN people TOUCHED the food with their hands into unsterlized machines and trucks where BUGS had access to them. Better cook all of that until charred.

I’m all for being generally hygienic when cooking, but there is a point where you have to be a bit realistic. I’ve taken food prep courses, they try to terrify you into everything and with good reason – to build up fear into you to not slacking too much; but it doesn’t mean you should fear everything as a result. Blatant cross-contamination of raw meat and veggies, hey, that is bad. Cheese and sauce that would end up on a pizza together anyways within an hour or so? Yeah, not so bad.

If people like the guy above terrify you, you equally terrify me. Sorry.

• Doubting thomas says:

The “humans did it for thousands of years” BS is completely ignorant. For those thousands of years the average lifespan was under 20, because people got sick and dies all the damn time. A large part of that was a lack of basic hygiene.

• shepd says:

A large part of why humans didn’t live very long was a lack of hygiene CAUSED BY a lack of understanding of the science behind germs and therefore ineffective or non-existent cleaning regimens.

Not qualifying statements make them ambigulously true: Due to witchcraft, women died.

…because back then there was a lack of understanding of science and therefore people thought witchcraft existed and therefore burned women at the stake.

A pair of clean hands without cuts (again, you have to use your common sense and blue bandaids) or other complications is NOT going to dirty up your food in any significant fashion that would shorten your lifespan, or even the lifespan of someone with a compromised immune system. Back then (before Baron Lister), doctors doing surgery didn’t even know they needed to clean instruments between surgeries. Obviously, you could have solved their problem by throwing away the instruments between surgeries (like people such as yourself would do with plastic gloves for a hands-on food job), but yet we use the same instruments for multiple patients just like they did back then rather than throwing them all away all the time.

Fucking cleansing, how does that work?

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

It is gross to use your hands. Who the hell knows how well someone else washes their hands? If the pizza maker takes a crap, gets some on his hand, and does a quick wash, there could be fecal matter in a crevice or under the nails. I went to nursing school and learned how to properly wash hands. Trust me, I’ve never seen one person in the bathroom wash their hands even 1/2 as thoroughly as they need to wash, not to mention that people turn off the fecal encrusted faucet with their hands instead of a towel, or touch the nasty door handle with freshly washed hands and then make food with those dirty hands.

• awesome anna says:

“And, you want to know how much of a difference it makes as far as germs? ABSOLUTELY NONE.” Totally not effing true!!! There are viruses and bacteria that do not die at extreme heat… so cooking won’t kill them off. Take a food safety class, like I have… and you’ll learn about all of the deadly pathogens that cannot be destroyed by heat, extreme cold or even freezing. Once it’s there, it’s there. You could have infected so many people with your disgusting bare hands. It’s sickening and disheartening that you don’t care about other people’s safety.

This is why I am getting my degree in nutrition/food safety… to keep people like you away from handling food. You’re disgusting!

• kujospam says:

and your dumb, if it is there, then it was there before he washed his hands and there is nothing he can do about it which defeats the whole purpose of your comment. He comment was you do not need to wash your hands after every pizza. Not that you don’t have to wash your hands at all.

• awesome anna says:

You’re not your… so who’s the dummy? And Ok.. I’ll tell my college professor that what she taught in our nationally recognized food safety class is wrong because someone on the internet said so.

And more to the point as to why people should ware gloves, not work with their bare hands. Idiot.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Gross. Just gross. I am never ordering a pizza anywhere that I can’t see it made. You just ruined it for me.

• thewatchdog says:

I worked for PH and we usually managed to get all the ingredients ON the pizza. At the end of the night the hopper might have a few pieces of shredded cheese or a wild piece of pepperoni and we chucked them. Then again the pizza bakes at 700 degrees for 10 minutes so those errant room-temp sausages are good and dead by then.

However this KFC dude is a tool and should be fined into the stone age.

• snowtires says:

Hey, me too, but at Domino’s, they don’t give a shit about being clean. It’s all about being fast. I got yelled at if I took my time, for real. There was this pizza-timer computer system, where it would time you from the time the order was placed until the time the pizza was made and removed from the system. Except my boss would make us remove the pizzas from the system immediately and do everything by memory. The more seasoned employees just hucked ingredients at the pizza and hoped they would stick. It was disgusting.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Cooking food will kill off most if not all active bacteria, but if they have been at work in the food for sufficient time, the toxins those bacteria made will not necessarily be destroyed. This is why food is stored frozen or chilled, and why even chilled food can spoil. Being cold slows bacteria, but doesn’t always stop it.

The toxins matter. If your ground beef smells a bit off and you cook it anyway, it can still make you sick, no matter how long you brown it. The bacteria are dead, but their poop lives on.

• shepd says:

Having watched enough of those restaurant in trouble shows on TV, I would never eat in a fancy sit-down restaurant either.

In fact, having seen the meticulous requirements of the better known franchises, if the restaurant is sparkling fresh, the food is too.

Whereas the places that show up with the most serious complaints in the city’s food inspection database tend to be privately owned non-franchises. Perhaps the lack of oversight lets the bad apples spoil.

• pamelad says:

True, privately owned non-franchises turn up more often in my city’s health inspection gross-outs than franchises. BUT the very best restaurants here in Tucson, AZ, are locally owned. We‚Äôre lucky to still have lots of them here.

For a restaurant I haven’t tried before, I usually look up the inspection reports. The best ones have no or only a couple of old violations that have been corrected.

In general, the food is usually much better and more creative than at large chain restaurants, it‚Äôs reasonably priced, and there‚Äôs nice service by staff members who care about your experience because they‚Äôre a part of a ‚Äúfamily.‚Äù When the owner comes by your table to ask about your meal, that’s an extra treat.

Patronize your local restaurants if you have any left! The good ones are treasures that give unique character (and flavor) to your town, and many are in danger of being run out by large chains.

• Kuri says:

Yeech, McDonald’s is cleaner than that.

• I'm Exitor says:

We’re talking KFC here. Why is anyone surprised that they would serve expired meat.

It’s KFC for Gods sake.

• I'm Exitor says:

This happens at all restaurants, not just fast food.

Unless one can push it out of ones mind it’s impossible to enjoy eating out.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Fast food, slow food, fancy restaurant or dive, you never know if you are getting clean or nasty. At least the fast food chains have some standards, whether they live up to them is the issue. All you can do is hope that the health inspectors in your town have integrity.

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Wait – “all fresh chicken be served or discarded within 12 days of the “kill date” stamped on the box.”

If I left fresh chicken in my fridge for 12 days, wouldn’t it turn bad long before 12 days was up? I’ve eaten freshly killed chickens before, and I didn’t do a time study about how long they’d last in the fridge, but isn’t 12 days a little much?

• snowtires says:

Yes, probably, but they also have a much, much better/bigger refrigerator than you do at your house, unless you have a walk-in fridge.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

I would imagine the plant would add preservatives and some preparation prior to actual cooking that could extend the shelf life.

• crispyduck13 says:

Depends on their refrigeration temp. I’ve defrosted chicken and left it in the fridge for a full week before cooking and it smelled/tasted perfectly fine. If they are storing at temps lower than a typical residential fridge that may extend the usable time.

• GadgetsAlwaysFit says:

I turn my fridge down a bit to keep everything colder than the mid-point setting. Everything lasts longer. The downside is that in the bottom keeper, things have frozen.

• tcm147 says:

The chicken is also a Sealed enviroment. Still gross but it’s not just in there in a baggie

• caddisfly says:

Keep in mind that the chicken you buy at the grocery store has likely been dead for a week or so before it makes it to store shelves. KFC is, ironically, one of the best sources for “fresh” chicken (so long as the management doesn’t sell the old stuff).

• Bionic Data Drop says:

Remember that KFC isn’t 100% chicken. There is a reason they can’t call themselves “Kentucky Fried Chicken” anymore.

6. Bativac says:

I can totally believe this. I worked for the on-campus food vendor while in college, and they would re-use day old Chick-Fil-A sandwiches to make chicken salad, chicken strips for caesar salads, etc. College kids didn’t care I guess but those of us who worked for them didn’t touch anything that we didn’t see come directly off the line.

(That company lost the foodservice contract a year after I left. SCORE)

• AcctbyDay says:

There is nothing wrong with what you described. The day old chicken you are referring to is being used within the proper timelines for food safety. The trick here is that the Caesar salads, chicken salad etc must be sold within like 1-2 days. Also, and I have to stress this, the food must be refrigerated after 4 hours of being hot and not sold. I.E. it is on a heater for 4 hours to be sold and isn’t, but is instantly transferred to a freezer to cool it and then processed the next day for chicken salad and/or Caesar salads.

If the chick-fil-a in question did not properly keep the sandwiches warm enough and then instantly cool them when required then this would cause problems. What you describe is no different than making dinner and re-using the leftovers the next day for lunch.

I worked in a Deli for two years and what you talking about is perfectly safe if done according to food safety standards.

• OutPastPluto says:

Pushing the limits is simply poor engineering practice. If you leave no margins, then your under trained and under paid minimum wage drones are going to make mistakes that can kill someone. Or middle management might decided to “leave no corner uncut”.

In the 90s, a fast food burger had a shelf life measured in hours.

The more you put up with dodgey crap, the worse stuff gets.

• shepd says:

Food re-use is normal, saves everyone money, and is safe if done properly.

Did you know the meat in Wendy’s chili is just last night’s broken or overcooked patties? I was happy to hear that, myself, because it means the chili has real beef in it instead of filler crap.

7. sirwired says:

Errr… I have to partly fault the manager here. If your employer does something illegal or orders you to do so (like switch labels to enable them to serve expired chicken or order you to serve expired meat), you don’t give them a stern warning about maybe reporting them to the health department at some uncertain point in the future. You simply do so, followed usually by quitting.

Also of note in the complaint is the fact that the plaintiff gave in and served the rotten meat.

It sounds like all the manager did was hem, haw, and bluff for months before getting fired. I don’t see that the owner EVER got reported to the health department by this employee who was REALLY concerned, but not concerned enough to actually do anything about it other than complain to the boss.

• snowtires says:

Not knowing the manager in question, you shouldn’t presume to say what they should or should not have done. Walking away from a job isn’t a possibility for some people, especially (one would think) someone who manages a KFC. You think anyone wakes up in the morning and is like, “YES! I AM THE MANAGER AT A KFC!” Those are type of jobs people take when they absolutely need money to support themselves and family. So you’re not really bringing home enough cash to up and quit, just because you have issue with your employer.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Nevermind using the current job as a reference to obtain a new one, or the small town gossip. Depending on the size of the town this KFC is in, all it takes is a little trash talking and this guy could be jobless for a long, long time.

• snowtires says:

Seaside, Oregon (where this takes place) is a VERY small town. It’s the kind of town that you can drive through and not realize that you just drove through a town, you might think it was just a couple of stores and small motels. I think ‘quaint’ is an appropriate word. So, there could definitely be a possibility for some ostracizing.

• sirwired says:

If somebody dies as a result of spoiled chicken, “I was just following orders, even though I knew it was wrong” won’t be a real effective manslaughter defense.

8. Jane_Gage says:

Boston Market or get the fuck out.

• snowtires says:

It’s still fast food, and it’s still gross.

• belsonc says:

I miss Jenny_Cupcakes… :-(

• This Dude Abides says:

There aren’t any Boston Markets in Oregon anymore. In the 90s, Boston Market – along with Hot ‘n Now and Kenny Rogers Roasters – expanded into Oregon and left just as quickly as they came. One former Boston Market in the Portland area is now a Carl’s Jr. Jack in the Box moved into one of their old buildings in Vancouver, WA. The one closest to me became a Blockbuster. Blockbuster gave up on that location a few years ago, and the building is currently occupied by a Vietnamese sandwich restaurant.

(By the way, I also know of two Jack in the Box restaurants that were formerly occupied by Kenny Rogers Roasters.)

9. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

601 South Roosevelt Street
    Seaside, Oregon 97138

Seaside has lots of nice restaurants. Dooger’s, Norma’s.

This is not one of them.

10. eezy-peezy says:

I would have thought all the chicken sold by KFC had expired. Very hard to get those live chickens in the fryer, they fight like hell.

11. HowardRoarksTSquare says:

I used to work at a KFC many many years ago.

You wouldn’t believe how they made the BBQ chicken that they served. And oh yea, the only thing safe to eat is the coleslaw. Seriously – don’t eat anything else. Just the coleslaw because it comes in frozen from the truck to the walk-in-freezer to the fridge.

• Jane_Gage says:

I’m intrigued, please elaborate.

• HowardRoarksTSquare says:

Alright, well this was close to 15 years ago so I’ll do my best to tell this tale.

Anyway, person would take the chicken – drudge it in the flour and make the chicken. Crispy or not crispy, didn’t matter. It would be placed in the warming lamp thing so it would stay hot while the customers were there (this dries out the chicken but who cares).

Anyway, at the end of the night they’d take whatever chicken was left over and proceed to use it to make the BBQ chicken for the sandwiches.

This hi-tech process involved not wearing any gloves, taking the skin off the chicken, ripping the chicken apart in your bare hands and then dropping it into a huge vat of BBQ sauce they used for the BBQ Wings. Burn your hand? Who cares. Have a cut on your hand? Not their headache. Sneezed? Well just wipe it off.

The manager was a total tool and didn’t grasp the concept of being sick. I remember having flu-like symptoms and explaining it wouldn’t be wise to have me work that day around food. Manager said come in or you’re fired.

I calmly explained they would no longer be seeing me at that establishment. Thankfully I was only in high-school and my parents were cool with me not working for a week or two until I found something else.

• ahnkadragon says:

When I worked at KFC we always wore gloves when processing the chicken into shreds for the BBQ sandwiches! I always thought it was a clever way to re-use the freid chicken, although I had to complain about how misleading it was for them to offer it to customers with wheat allergies. Hello!? It was covered in breading and bits and pieces are still clinging to it.

And frozen coleslaw?? I guess that part has changed since you worked there b/c when I was working there it was fresh bags of shredded colslaw and carrots and huge pouches of sauce dumped in a huge plastic tub and mixed by GLOVED hands. We had to use gloves that covered the arm past the elbow. That mixture was cold my hands would feel like they were on fire by the time I was done, lol!

I guess every KFC has a different management style. We were always very particular about hand washing and glove usage.

• HowardRoarksTSquare says:

Other story from back in the day:

15 odd years ago, when I worked at a KFC. You wouldn’t believe how they kept the bathrooms. Their way of cleaning the bathroom was giving a 15 or 16 year old kid some paper towels, watered down windex and maybe a pair of gloves if you were lucky. Don’t want to clean the bathrooms? You’re fired.

Saw a co-worker burn their hand really bad on a biscuit tray – hand went from the try into the ice-bucket where the ice came for serving drinks. Never switched out the ice….that would take too much time.

But somehow the manager always knew when the health inspector was coming so you’d be working every minute of those two days leading up to it to clean the place to the 9’s

• history_theatrestudent says:

That’s not only a danger for the public, for the employee. The Ice damages the tissue around the burn that’s still healthy and will be needed later to replace the tissue just destroyed.

• Corinthos says:

I worked plenty of fast food places in high school. I wouldn’t put up with their crap so would work for about 2 months and just quit and go somewhere else. Pretty much all of them do f’d up crap that you wouldn’t want to eat there.
      Burger King pretty much never threw out meat from the trays just restart the time. Chicken would be pulled from the fryer up to 45 seconds before it was supposed to if it was needed right then.Pretty much just microwave it for 15 seconds.
      Mcdonalds restart the timers on meat but it was only for twice as long as your were supposed to.
      Rally’s (checkers in some areas) would not cook things as long as they were supposed to and the rally q was a tub of old meat that was not refrigerated most the time.
      Wendys was change the dates on this and times. Every morning we would take the stickers that had the previous dateon them off and put a new one on. No one kept track of it so something could have been kept days before it was used up.
      Dairy Queen and Subway were the only two I would still eat at that I worked.

What annoyed me is why does the health inspectors let the businesses know when they are coming. We always new they were coming and would have to clean on those days and do things right

12. Goatweed says:

this is nothing new, I used to work for a Roy Rogers many moons ago and we were encouraged to serve chicken past the expiry daye “so long as thew chicken wasn’t overly funky”. I don;t recall there being any firings over it, but I also don;t recall there being any refusals to doing it either.

Again, you get what you pay for.

13. waffle iron says:

I die inside a little when I’m at Subway and I watch an employee do the following:

Get nearly done with a veggie, pull out a new sealed container, open it up and top off the new container with the old stuff. Seems rife for cross contamination. But that pales in comparison to serving old chicken, even if it is fried within an inch of its life.

• Kusac says:

A lot of fast food places do that. The old on top of the new to “ensure that it gets used first.” Yeah right, it’ll get mixed as they rifle through it while preparing whatever it is they’re making.

• cojo says:

I worked at Subway, and this doesn’t make me squeamish at all. First of all, the turnover in veggies is very high – we go through multiple bins per day – so emptying one on top of the other doesn’t necessarily mean you’re putting “old” veggies on new ones. Secondly, we fill those bins from even larger containers (a big box of tomatoes in the cooler, a huge package of lettuce), so if anything in one bin is “contaminated”, chances are, all the bins are.
      I still eat at Subway after having worked there for a few years, which should say something positive about their levels of cleanliness.

14. snowtires says:

Also, those Dairy Queen cones with the black chocolate coating that makes a little curlicue? The chocolate holds its shape so well because it’s chocolate-flavored wax, not chocolate.

• bhr says:

Oh bull shit.

• shepd says:

Edible chocolate flavoured wax has been used for years for many purposes. It’s food safe and in this case, is the only way to make it happen.

It’s as scary as parsley, which is also generally a no value garnish found in very expensive restaurants.

You don’t even *want* to know how they make the best tasting butter popcorn. Let’s put it this way: It’s completely vegan.

• Clyde Barrow says:

I am fascinated at how the word “curlicue” is spelled. I don’t think I’ve never known that. =)

I am easily amused!

• MrEvil says:

I mean if you want to get all technical, there really is no such thing as chocolate. Chocolate anything is just chocolate flavored fat, as the congealed fat is what keeps the chocolate solid. I would hazard a guess that the DQ topping uses coconut oil rather than Paraffin as the DQ topping melts quite readily at body temperature (which paraffin won’t do). So instead of being chocolate flavored cocoa oil, it’s chocolate flavored coconut oil.

However, given the over-dramatic way you present these little-known facts I fear I may have just given a troll a free lunch.

15. Hoss says:

Plaintiff claims that chicken not served within 12 days has a noticeable foul smell…

Nice point mr lawyer dude

16. snowtires says:

17. Earl Butz says:

They used to soak it in bleach and then serve it. Nobody ever paid attention to the expire dates on anything.

Hope that’s not the case any longer but I’m not about to eat there and find out.

18. daemonaquila says:

I’ve stopped eating at KFC, which used to be an occasional naughty treat. The last several times I’ve eaten there, at multiple stores in multiple cites/states, it has been an utter disaster. I won’t even go into the KFC near home – they never have anything ready (chicken, mac, cookies…), but they’re happy to tell you that you can’t get your food for 30 minutes AFTER you’ve just paid. My husband and I went to another one on a road trip, and it was disgusting. The buffet had dessicated chicken with a time stamp of hours ago, and nobody had cleaned or taken out the trash for hours. Virtually every table was filthy and covered in trash. At another one in a larger town, the walls and surfaces were sticky, and the chicken just tasted strange. It’s not a mystery why the Church’s in our town is always busy and the KFC is deserted. While I don’t like the chicken quite as much as KFC’s done properly, they make up for it by having clean, fresh chicken and sides, and they never seem to have a problem with keeping chicken and other items available. I wish someone could figure out why just about all the KFCs have gotten really nasty.

• Nyxalinth says:

That’s a shame. Please tell me it wasn’t the one in Jefferson City, TN. I worked there on the buffet for almost a year, and while it was a low wage job, I took pride in having a nice, fresh buffet. It would suck terribly if it had gone to shit since I left in 2007.

19. dush says:

So don’t eat at the Seaside KFC. Got it.

20. Rick Sphinx says:

I was fired once because “i was not the right fit”, the real reason was I was asked to stand on the forks of a fork lift, to be lifted about 30 feet in the air to change light bulbs in the store I was working in. I said no. I was then asked to operate the forklift and lift my night-manager up there, I said no, “I want nothing to do with this”. This was not only against all OSHA regulations, but very dangerous, they have platforms to put on forklifts for this sort of thing, and I’ve known people who were killed doing this sort of thing years ago. Once place I quit, because a large riding lawnmowers brakes failed, and I went sailing down a ramp on a truck backwards, almost was hurt; I complained to the manager telling him I could not make the mower stay there until I lifted the ramp, his answer, put a stick under the wheel! Yea, I’m sure a crap piece of a stick will hold a 600lb mower in place. I quit the next day as they obviously care “zero” about my safety. I’ll do whatever I can for an employer, but when my safety or others is at obvoius risk, sorry, will not do it, should never even be asked in the first place.

21. Jawaka says:

There’s bad managers in every company.

22. HogwartsProfessor says:

Wow.

I used to eat at KFC sometimes, but then I got sick. Twice. Never went back. Now I’m really, really glad I haven’t.

23. Promethean Sky says:

I won’t eat at any fast food place where I can’t watch them make the food. Luckily, this means I can do the local Taco Bell. True, they never in 12 years have gotten my order right, but at least I’m convinced it’s sanitary.

• snowtires says:

Just because you can see them making it doesn’t make the quality of the product any better. Taco Bell is one of the worst (for your body) places to eat, period.

• Corinthos says:

This was changing the dates on food. I’m sure you aren’t able to check the date on the box of meat they are cooking at your taco bell.

24. Corinthos says:

I believe this. When I worked for burger king in high school they used to change dates the times on things all the time.

25. IceCat says:

This is why KFC is great overseas, but sucks here:

26. oldwiz65 says:

I miss the old days when KFC was actually decent chicken. After reading about this I wonder how many other KFC places now serve expired chicken.

27. jacobs cows says:

Wonder why more people havent gotten food poisoning from this?

28. frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

I worked as a supervisor in Chicago for a national pest control company. I will never eat at the majority of restaurants whose kitchens I have been in.

Pretty sick to charge eighty bucks for a steak while having roaches run around the kitchen. These places were disgusting.

29. Press1forDialTone says:

The only way to shame big food (and other corps) into
    taking action is to involve YouTube videos, blog posts
    and then notify the media once it goes viral. If it makes
    the cable news/entertainment news outlets and the AP
    wires, the higher up pay attention. Use the Taco Bell
    example to start an action about KFC.

30. Consumer007 says:

If there was any justice in the world, the owner would be arrested for endangering the lives of the patrons.

31. AdviceDog says:

If you combined this with the other story of KFC serving chicken so expired it gave the girl brain damage, you could say that “KFC Threatens to Fire Employees for Not Giving You Brain Damage”