I Would Rather Gnaw My Arm Off Than Continue Dealing With Comcast

M. has had it with Comcast. In fact, she’s not even a customer of theirs anymore. But the good people of Kabletown owe her a $143 refund after she canceled service in February, and she can’t get her money out of their clutches. Even the customer service heroes of the Twitter team promise her that a check is on its way…but it never shows. At this point, it isn’t even about the money anymore.

I would rather chew off my left arm, then have to deal with Comcast again. Ever since we started our service in September of 2009, it has been a miserable experience. It took multiple phone calls and service calls to get simple things fixed, they have gotten irate with me on the phone and I have even been hung up on, just to outline a few issues.

The latest problem is getting them to release my refund check for $143.00. I canceled my service on 02/03/12 when we moved and have been due a refund check ever since. I keep sending emails and have tried the @comcastcares twitter account and I’ll get a phone call saying that it has been processed, but then no check arrives.

If I had forgotten or neglected to pay my cable bill by the 9th of the month, they would have shut off my service, so why are they allowed to get away with this? What are we, as consumers, able to do to protect ourselves against things like this? It is frustrating, to say the least.

While it would be nice to have the money that they owe me, it has become more of an issue of principle now. I absolutely feel like I must do something because if I don’t, they will continue to do this.

Bureaucracy can be a terrible thing. Comcast isn’t the most beloved company in America, but for now M. has done the strongest thing that she can: she’s ceased to be a customer of Comcast. Yes, leaving behind cable companies or Internet service providers that don’t play fair is harder when there’s a monopoly, but the best thing you can do is communicate with your wallet whenever possible.

Comments

1. donjumpsuit says:

Ahh Comcast. One of the only companies that bills you in advance for service. It is quite annoying.

• tiatrack says:

Not quite. I have Centurylink and Direct TV, and they both do the same thing.

• homehome says:

Actually a good amount of companies bill you a mount in advance, I believe almost all the post paid cell companies do, many utility companies

2. Altman says:

Small claims court. That will get them to pay up fast, and M. may even get some damages out of it.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

Document, document, and document. Then small claims court. Also, review the contract for terms related to refunds and time-frame and cite this section of the contract in small claims court.

• Ed says:

3. CubeRat says:

I have to thank M. I might be moving in the next couple of months….I think I’ll start the cancellation process for my cable/internet a bit early and then make sure I own them. I don’t have Comcast (woohoo, I have Charter), but I’ve never heard of ANY cable company that has GOOD customer service.

Good Luck M – and thanks for the warning.

• Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

Be careful, no matter how clear you make your cancellation date, they might always just decide to cut service the day you call. Cablevision pulled that on me once.

• CubeRat says:

Yes, I believe they will, however, I would prefer to be without cable for few days early then deal with refund checks. If you’re that board while moving, you can always watch DVDs, read books, or go out.

• Laura Northrup says:

Or turn off your duplex neighbor’s service at the same time they turn off yours.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I was worried about that when I called DirecTV, but they were really good. They have a suspension process (kinda like Netflix) where they can turn it off for six months and I don’t have to pay during that time. The suspension starts in May and goes until November, unless I renew it or cancel.

That is also the reason why I don’t want to do naked DSL with AT&T. I’m WAY more worried about going without internet, since I need it to appy for jobs.

4. evilpete says:

Left arm? What about your right one instead

5. Blueskylaw says:

Call up Comcast customer service and ask for The Federal Communications Commission, the Attorney General for your state and the local franchising authorities telephone numbers because you would like to file a complaint(s) then watch to see if they have a courier service hand deliver you your refund check the same day.

• deathbecomesme says:

I would say “Im sorry ma’am but this Customer Care line is for current customers only” if someone thought it a good idea to call and get an attitude like that with me. She has gone through the motions enough. Obviously Customer Service isn’t the right channel to go through anymore.

• Jawaka says:

I’d probably tell them that we’re Comcast, not directory assistance and to pick up a phone book if they want a phone number.

• Blueskylaw says:

If you tell customer service that you will be contacting the appropriate agencies involved with regulating them, that shows you know what you’re doing and you would then be surprised at how quickly your problems get resolved.

• Difdi says:

Yeah, getting the company curb-stomped by the state attorney general tends to look bad on performance reviews, to say nothing of one’s chances for future promotions…

6. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

My local newspaper just posted an article & says that Comcast will be our local cable provider for the next 10 years. They buried this little tidbit at the end of an article about timber cutting and hazardous waste in the county. **sighs** This is on the heels of yet another rate increase.

The article points out that Comcast does not have an exclusive franchise and any other company that wishes to provide services would have the expense of developing its own system.

Yep, I can see other cable companies lining up now to provide service to a rural county with less than 40,000 residents.

I’m going to start asking how to get a TV translator or something set up so we can get OTA. Enough is enough.

7. deathbecomesme says:

Small claims court fees+refund check amount

8. Hoss says:

They probably cut refund checks once a month and only one month has passed since the first end of service billing. Beyond that there’s likely a manual end of service check to ensure all equipment has been returned.

9. Cat says:

I feel bad for people who have no other option but to deal with the local monopoly company for internet or TV.

10. j2.718ff says:

“the best thing you can do is communicate with your wallet whenever possible”

I would happily do this, were Comcast not the only choice for “high-speed” internet in my neighborhood.

11. LuckyLady says:

Contact the cable franchise authority in the area where you had the service. Tell them what happened. Ask for their assistance in obtaining the refund.

• skapig says:

This! They tend to have a lot of influence and can get actual resolutions with ease. Comcast may not care so much about you, but they are definitely threatened by those in control of their ability to conduct business in the region.

12. longfeltwant says:

“If I had forgotten or neglected to pay my cable bill by the 9th of the month, they would have shut off my service, so why are they allowed to get away with this?”

They AREN’T “allowed” to get away with this; you are LETTING them get away with this. If you owed them money and you didn’t pay, they would take legal action, in the form of sending you to a collections agency or suing you. And yet, now that they owe you money, you are NOT sending them to collections, by which I mean suing them in small claims court.

So the answer is that they are behaving the way they are, because you are letting them.

• Difdi says:

This. It’s called learned helplessness. We’re not helpless in the face of such abuses of the system, but we’ve spent so much time being conditioned to believe we HAVE to play the game using the company’s ball on the company’s ball field, that when the company starts cheating us, we continue to play with their ball on their field, rather than using all the tools available to us.

As if a company willing to cheat us now is going to stop cheating us later, simply because we continue to allow ourselves to be sheared like good little sheep? Not likely.

13. runchadrun says:

I had the exact same experience with Time Warner. It took calls to executive customer service at their CEO’s office to get a phone call from someone local. She gave me all kinds of excuses as to why it was taking so long to get my refund. Finally I asked if I were to show up at their office if they would give me a refund. She said no. So I said, what if I then called the police to report a theft in progress?

I had my refund the next day.

14. smarmyjones goes cattywampus says:

Have you checked the address they’re supposedly sending the check to? A lot of times it takes calls to several different departments to make sure your address is completely updated.

Just a thought.

15. ancientone567 says:

I got checks from Cablevision and they are the same way. Get the number for the refund office and call them every few days to make sure your check was made and was sent. It usually takes at least two calls where they say both times that the check is one the way lol.