Raiders Of The Lost Walmart Find More Ancient Gadgets

Consumerist readers are a determined bunch. Against all odds, you keep going: exploring Walmart stores across the country in search of the oldest and most obsolete items that Wally World has to offer.

If you’re disappointed that you missed out on the ten-year-old Sony Mavica priced at $269 that we featured last time around, pay a visit to Andrew’s local Walmart in Illinois: they’ve got one on the shelf, too.

mavica

If you still have an Xbox lying around and missed out on Madden 2002, stop by Jeremy’s local store. He writes:

Just saw this earlier this afternoon in the markdown video game dump bin. A 10 year old game, for a game system that’s been obsolete for years.. and it’s still $20!

madden

It’s not dead stock. It’s vintage.

Finally, Outrun1986 found this handheld game from 2006 at Walmart. All very well and good, but just a bit out of date. He writes:

Miuchiz game/toy that came out in 2006 still selling for 17.00. The toy uses an online website type game that probably doesn’t work anymore.

monsterz

The game might still work, but you can get it on Amazon even cheaper, and it’s true: the website no longer exists. Well done, Walmart.

PREVIOUSLY:
Raiders Of The Lost Walmart Uncover More Retail Antiquities
Raiders Of The Lost Walmart Discover Cache Of Ancient Flash Drives

Comments

1. namcam says:

what is sad is that sometime some poor sucker is going to buy that stuff!

2. sirwired says:

The Mavica was a really cool idea. But I found it hilarious that 100% of the ad photos for the camera (including the one on the box), showed the floppy going in the wrong way. It was SUPPOSED to be inserted like a typical floppy disk, but if the picture showed that, it’d be hard to emphasize that it took floppy disks.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

It was an idea for the inept. It was a bulky camera with limited storage when it came out. Now if it had been able to use a Zip drive. That would have been a cool idea.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

The lab I worked at was an early adopter of the Mavica (sometime around ’97 or ’98).

At the time, it seemed very cutting edge. We were already storing project files on floppy discs because of hard drive limitations and everything was backed up on tape. It was very handy to take photographs with the camera and then store the original floppies in the project binder. A Zip version would have been handy but floppies were nice because every computer had a floppy drive.

• frugalmom says:

My journalism school had these. You could check them out for projects but we also just took them out for school dances and stuff.

• scoosdad says:

Nothing says ‘geek’ like going to a school dance with a huge digital camera hanging around your neck and a shirt pocket full of blank floppy disks (tucked behind the pocket protector, I’m sure).

• jeffpiatt says:

Sony did not want to pay iomega to get the rights to the zip drive tech the classic 1.44 floppy was cheaper and at the time people would have had pile of them around. it also looks like it takes memory sticks and has an usb interface. it needs an bigger clearance discount. it looks like they scanned the upc when they found the item during inventory and placed the computers price on it. it’s so old wal-mart may not be updating it’s profile any more.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

if it was $20 i’d get one to play with since i do actually still have some floppy disks around

• sirwired says:

Adding a Zip Drive to the thing would have cost far too much. Given the limited resolution of the sensor, the floppy disk was a perfectly usable storage medium for a 1997 consumer camera.

Now, I’ll admit that with the later models, with far higher resolution, the floppy drive was kind of stupid.

• MrEvil says:

Later models of the Floppy Disk Mavica (such as the one pictured above) also had a Memory Stick slot. Even in 2012 they are still usable cameras provided you can get batteries for them.

• A.Bursell says:

Sony never used a Zip drive. BUT, Panasonic had released cameras to compete that used their own version of a Zip drive. It was called the SuperDisk and actually could read/write to a standard floppy as well. They were more expensive and not as popular, obviously.

• Mary says:

It used a memory stick as well as a floppy. I was a reporter shortly after this came out, and it was the camera my parents had bought me as a graduation present when I got my degree in photography. It was better than anything the newspaper had so I used my camera for work, and I only used one memory stick. It fit over 100 photos on each stick in the settings I used for the paper (which were still better than the ones the paper had previously been using).

Even it’s bulk wasn’t really an issue, because it was designed in a way that was easy for me to hold and easy to see the screen on the back to quickly line up and shoot a picture before the subject saw me and started acting differently (like people do when they see a camera).

That said, I recently sold it on ebay for $45 so it’s definitely not worth what they’re charging. For that price you can get a much better camera these days.

• Outrun1986 says:

I could imagine someone buying the Mavica these days and wondering what a floppy is! Unless you are a collector of vintage computer stuff, most people probably don’t have any laying around.

You can only find this kind of stuff at older Walmart’s if you go to one that is recently built they won’t have old inventory that has been laying around so you won’t find this kind of stuff.

• nautox says:

My brother bought the first Mavica when in came out in the late 90’s. 1 megapixel for $500.00
        In high quality mode you can fit … wait for it … 1 photo on 1 floppy! Amazing!

• A.Bursell says:

Eh, when these first came out, nobody measured in megapixels. Everyone talked resolutions, the first I recall were 640×480 at the highest and fit about 15 on a disk. The price you quoted was about right IIRC.

• Clyde Barrow says:

The Mavica was a perfect camera for when I used to work as a quality engineer. I’d take the camera, do my work, take pics, whatever, take out the disk and if another engineer needed the camera, all they had to do was to use their own disk. it was much faster and simpler than to have to upload all pictures to your desktop which took time which can be a pain when you’re in a hurry.

3. dpeters11 says:

It was Big Lots, so it doesn’t really count, but I saw a boxed copy of Prodigy there just last year. That was quite a find.

4. E. Zachary Knight says:

The great thing about Madden 2002 is it is the exact same game as Madden 2012 except with an older roster of players. No need to worry about losing out on any gameplay there.

• GinChevyChase says:

And you get Daunte “Madden Curse” Culpepper, so you got that goin for ya…

• GoSpursGo says:

Oh look! Someone that doesn’t like sports games. Let’s take your opinion as fact.

• SilentAgenger says:

Maybe…but my money’s on “someone who doesn’t like Madden and prefers the superior NFL2K series that EA couldn’t compete with, so EA used their giant wad of money to squash it out of existence”.

5. tricky1 says:

Wow, I submitted the Mavica picture back when the 2nd post came up and thought it had gotten lost. Cool to finally see it on here.

6. Blueskylaw says:

That Madden game is an antique now in its original packaging, it’s priceless.

• Raider Duck says:

If by “priceless” you mean $0.00, that’s correct…

• Amp says:

Sure, it’s an excellent pre-Tebowian artifact, and the patina over the hologram looks authentic, but I’m going to have to get it framed and laminated, it’s going to take money to make it presentable, then it’s just going to sit around the shop for a while until someone offers me fifty bucks for it. I can offer you twenty so you break even on the deal.

I’ll tell you what. I’ve got a buddy, Mark, who’s a Doctor of Sportology down at the University Museum Library Science Institution. Why don’t we get him down here, I’ll pretend to look concerned as he points out meaningless superficial flaws, then lowball you for twelve which you’re forced to take so you don’t feel like you’ve been waiting around all this time for nothing.

• Blueskylaw says:

It has a nick there and a little scratch there and once it goes to auction (as if their stuff ever goes to auction) the auction house will take at least 95% of the sale price and give you the other 5% about 2 years from now which means i’m taking all the risk.

Umm, no. Mark said it was worth $2000, he didn’t say it was worth $2000 if it was framed, and he didn’t say it was worth $2000 after being restored, he said it was worth $2000 NOW!!!

My all time favorite bullsh*t excuse they gave was when that guy brought the fossils in. Let’s say the expert said they were worth $10,000, Rick said i’ll give you (let’s say) $250 because most people don’t want to buy the fossils already done, they want to find it themselves, that’s why even though the expert said they were worth $10,000 I can only offer you $250. So you’re saying most people in the world don’t want to buy an already prepared fossil specimen, they want to fly out to some god-forsaken desert for weeks at a time and dig for it themselves because they have nothing better to do???

• Amp says:

He’s right, though. Why would anyone want to pay money for an excellent, confirmed specimen of definitive value, when they can spend weeks searching fruitlessly through petrified dino poop for a random shot at finding something even remotely comparable! You know how collectors can be: They’re not satisfied merely owning a Da Vinci, they’ve got to pry it from Leonardo’s grave for it to count.

(/sarc)

Yeah, I understand he has to keep a margin, and risky stuff needs to be worth it, but offering 5% of an item’s value because it’s “niche” and might take a long time to move from a static, brick-and-mortar location seems pointless, especially with the internet a click away.

7. Outrun1986 says:

I am sure I could have found other items for this but I chose the Miuchiz because they are still selling it for a rather high price when it ties to an online website that does not work anymore. Most likely doesn’t work on a Windows 7 PC either, so you would only be able to use it with a Windows XP computer and you would have to have one of those laying around, that would be if the online world even still existed. I have used the game before and the main draw of it is the online world so you are losing a significant part of the toy/game by purchasing it in this day and age. The game is going for about $3 at Amazon before shipping which is probably more than its worth. Some of the Miuchiz units also have glitches where the games don’t work properly unless you update, which of course you can’t do anymore since the software to do that isn’t available.

• SmokeyBacon says:

Oh, awesome if it works on XP, I could use it at work then, because we are still using XP for some reason. Too bad the site is gone. though.

(And yes, I do complain about the fact that we still use XP all the time)

• nybiker says:

Keep telling your employer, since Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 8, 2014. You have 2 years to migrate to something else.

• Outrun1986 says:

I think you can still find the software online in places like torrent files or download sites if any of those exist anymore, but it probably doesn’t work because I am sure the servers have shut down. If you have Windows XP and you have someone that has the updater and the files for this game on their system then you can probably at least update the handheld. Maybe some parent still has this on their systems from when their kid used to play the game.

8. sparc says:

Walmart clearance prices are ridiculous. I’ll go in some aisles and there will be stuff from a year ago.

They’re willing to move new products at their full price. However, when it comes to discounting and moving out garbage they hold onto it for dear life.

You’d think that huge waste of shelf space and poor inventory management would be costing them millions……

• Billy C says:

I was in a Zellers recently, and under a big sign for discount games touting “SAVING YOU MORE!” was a copy of NHL 2006 for $20. Used games stores can’t even move that game for $5.

But your comment about clearance items reminds me of when I worked at Walmart. Normally, we got a 10% employee discount, but during the annual employee appreciation day, we got 20% on like 3 or 5 items. Of course, I had my eye on a $300 stereo system for a while, and waited to pick it up 20% off. But I guess management saw moves like that coming, and put it on “clearance” for $295 shortly before and guess what, employee discounts can’t be applied to clearance items, even if the clearance discount is a fraction of even a regular employee discount…

• jefeloco says:

I got my “green” d-link 5 port switch at a local walmart a few years ago for $5 on clearance when the same model was selling new on newegg.com for $30. It wasn’t even an old product, so I think someone put it in the wrong stock box or whatever.

9. rambler american says:

A guy I worked with years ago took 3 bottles of some kind of liniment into a WalMart. They were old at the time he did this. He put them on a shelf when no one was watching and left the store. Went back a week or so later and found that someone had put a price on them. He checked periodically and after a few months they disappeared. But then he found them again six months after that, back on the shelf but they had raised the price!

10. touayang says:

Are these cameras are collector’s items? Amazon still sells them for $900.

11. Jawaka says:

They’re still selling the MMORPG Tabula Rasa at my local Walmart even though the servers that hosts the game were taken down years ago. I don’t even believe that there was a single player mode. The game is completely useless at this point. Kind of like selling a Compuserve or Prodigy CD.

12. HollzStars says:

I love these posts. I work for a (Major Electronics Company) doing warranty replacements, and people with old products who don’t have a proof of purchase for an exchange always shout that stores don’t carry old stock. I think of this and smile whenever this happens (Which is daily)

13. riguitargod says:

I was at Walmart on Wednesday evening, and while taking a quick look at the Star Wars toys, I noticed a figure with the Power of the Force packaging from the mid 90s. I picked it up to look at it, and it was a Sandtrooper. “Oh wow!” I thought, as I’d had this figure, and I thought it was cool they were doing a reissue of the old style.

Then I realized it was the only figure there in the style. I looked on the back of the packaging, and it said copyright 1996, and it was release by Kenner (a brand which no longer exists). I imagine it had been hiding behind a shelf in the stock room for 15 years.

• Mark says:

Actually, the more likely thing there is that the POTF figures are absolutely worthless now, so somebody who has some of them returned this figure to Wal-Mart to get the $10 figures now cost, or a current figure. You can’t give the POTF figures away.

• doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Did you buy the thing or not? If not, please go back and buy it for me. :)

• C. Ogle says:

Power of the Force is regarded as the lowest quality, most monkey-faced and he-man bodied toys in the star wars line of products. It’s pretty common for unscrupulous people to buy newer high quality star wars toys and return the older PoTF crap in the same box for a refund. Most people that handle exchanges can’t tell the difference or are too timid to challenge the customer on it.

• HomerSimpson says:

Yup…same thing happens with other ‘collectibles’ (cough…Hot Wheels). Unsavory and/or unwashed flea market (or ebay) seller eventually figures out nobody’s going to buy his tattered, sun faded 10 year old ‘merchandise’ so he returns it to the store. Extra bonus if the store put out new stuff the day he returned his crap (so he can buy more). The company changes the UPCs regularly to try to stop this, but the stores pretty much have to take them back regardless.

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Similar story from a few months ago. One local Walmart had a Chris Jericho wrestling figure that looked pretty old. Upon further inspection, it had the WWF logo and name on it. They changed their name to WWE in 2001.

14. DJ Charlie says:

Eh, the Wal-Marts here (both of them) still carry NCSoft’s Tabula Rasa on their “New Releases” game rack, at the above-full-price $49.00. The Tabula Rasa servers have been gone nearly 2 years now.

15. Telekinesis123 says:

I saw a “Sneak King” game being sold a 7-11 for $25. Funny thing is it is an advertizing game made by burger king which I think you got for $5 brand new with a combo meal like 4 years ago.

16. nautox says:

I think the Fred Meyer by my house still has a 128MB video card for $200.00

17. This Dude Abides says:

I’ve heard of people spotting brand new Nintendo 64 games at Walmart as late as 2-3 years back (mostly tail-end releases such as Perfect Dark and Tony Hawk 3).

18. Greyfox2401 says:

I remember buying a minidisc walkman from Walmart on clearance for like 20 bucks and a pack of discs for 5, that thing seemed to last forever on 2 AA batteries