Nokia Handing Out $100 Credits After It Finds Bug In Lumia Phone

Nokia is super proud of its AT&T Lumia 900, which has seen some pretty strong sales since its debut, but unfortunately there’s already a problem. The company is moving swiftly to counteract a software glitch in the Windows-based phone, and offering anyone who’s already bought the phone a few options to make amends.

Nokia says as soon as they started selling the phone, they identified a software issue. Basically, it’s a memory management thing that could lead to loss of data connectivity — so, antenna issues, it seems. It’s all in the software and not anything to do with the phone’s hardware.

They’re offering two options for anyone who already bought the phone — updating the device with the new software on or around April 16, or swap out the phone for an already updated Lumia 900.

But wait, there’s more! And by more, we mean free money.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As a gesture of good will, every individual who has already purchased a Nokia Lumia 900 — or who will purchase one between now and April 21st – will receive a $100 credit to their AT&T bill from Nokia.

As reader and tipster Ed points out, the phone is $99.99 with a contract, so you’re basically getting paid a penny for a new phone.

According to PCMagazine, Nokia is reporting that it’s sold two million Lumia devices in the first quarter, a period that proved “disappointing” otherwise for the company.

Putting People First [Nokia]

Comments

1. homehome says:

I bet someone would still find a reason to complain

2. caradrake says:

Reading the headline, I totally thought they were giving out refunds because people found roaches inside the phone…. eeeeeeew mental picture.

3. Cat says:

A software glitch? in a Windows-based phone? Unpossible!

• johnny_ryall says:

an AT&T glitch, they can’t handle all the bad-ass inside this phone

• Ed says:

Given no other Windows Phone has this issue, it is likely a stack provided by AT&T or Nokia wrote for AT&T, not the core OS itself.

4. Tim says:

So if you take a new phone or update the software, you still get the $100 anyway? Pretty sweet deal, if I do say so myself.

5. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Firstly, I am highly amused that this phone came out and had an immediate problem like this. At least Nokia quickly admitted it’s mistake and started making it right.

However, I thought I’d point out that you can evidently actually *make* $100 on this deal – apparently the phone had been selling for $99.99 with a $100 rebate already. Then there’s this $100 payoff on top of that.

6. nishioka says:

> Basically, it’s a memory management thing that could lead to loss of data connectivity ‚Äî so, antenna issues, it seems.

Off to go get the technical description… because “memory management thing that could lead to loss of data connectivity” does not sound anything like “antenna issues”.

7. do-it-myself says:

What a deal! Could this be the ticket for me to get out of Sprint’s ETF? It would bring my cost down to $160. But at this point it woudl take another 2 years to get an iPhone w/ extra fees. I’ll suck up the shitty service for a little bit.

8. Press1forDialTone says:

Nokia is not on my radar as an evil company.
    Consumer Cellular provided me with a no frills
    no-pc-in-a-phone features Nokia flip-phone that
    has served me faithfully (on AT&T’s network no less)
    for 2 years (no contracts) and I pay about $15 a month
    of course I got it cheaper because I am a member of
    AARP and the ginormous group (over 50) of baby-boomers.

9. Silverhawk says:

The Lumia has a bug? How amusing, considering I just saw this ad, implying that if you buy the Lumia, you’re no longer beta testing your phone:

10. Anna Kossua says:

Good on Nokia for admitting the problem and offering a fix.

I really hope this phone does well. It’s somewhat a make-or-break phone for Nokia, and as a Finnish person, I want the best for Finnish companies, especially when they are known all over the world.

11. SideshowCrono says:

For what its worth I have this phone as I bought it one day 1. No problems so far but I’m always glad to get a free $100. At this point I basically just imagine that WP7 is an OS made completely for me as I really enjoy it… and I haven’t met a single person in real life who has it as well.

Ro ron-rey…