Banish Boomerang Kids And Reclaim Your Home

Last week we talked about reasons twentysomethings don’t need to be afraid to live at home for a few years before they launch their careers. Now we’ll to look at the other side of the coin, at long-suffering parents who aren’t happy that their grown children still live with them.

For parents who have spent the last couple decades and change inconveniencing themselves to better the lives of their offspring, telling their kids to move on is no easy feat. Here are some ideas from a MoneyRates.com that’s filled with suggestions to help empty the nest for good:

* Your house, your rules. Some boomerang kids are so untrustworthy that any lease of yours they sign won’t be worth the paper his college degree is printed on. If your kid wants to leech off you like a teenager, make him obey the rules of a teenager. That means curfews, chores and minimal privacy.

* Work together on a financial plan. The relationship doesn’t need to be adversarial. Tell your boomeranger that you’d like him to move on, then hash out a timetable and action plan to make the move comfortable and realistic for both of you. If the plan doesn’t work out, meet, discuss and make adjustments.

7 ways to straighten your boomerang child [MoneyRates.com]

Comments

1. alana0j says:

I need to show this to my parents. My 24 year old sister and disrespectful 21 year old brother need to get the hell out of their house

• britswim04 says:

I moved back in with my Mum after college. I got laid off from the retail job I had at the time. When I moved back I did mostly everything, including horses, dogs, yardwork and all sorts of cleaning. My Mum did do the laundry, because there’s nothing like the laundry you grew up with. I even bought most of my own groceries, as well as any supplies I used when I cooked.

I moved out and a couple of months later my sister came home from midway through her sophomore year of college with a 0.3 GPA and proceeded to do nothing. At all. My Mum did her laundry etc. etc.

2. BelleSade says:

And remember, these are the kids who will decide what home to put you in…. I see no harm in a kid living with you till he gets back on his feet, as long as he or she is actually trying to get a job, saving money, helping you out, etc, and not just laying around all day.

• pop top says:

Hopefully you’ll raise your kids to not be spiteful little shits who will put you in a terrible nursing home to get back at you for something you did to them in their 20s.

• Yomiko says:

I tell my mom that when she’s old and senile, I’ll make sure her socks match. It’s my way of letting her know I care.

3. Vox Republica says:

“Treat your child just as harshly as you would a boarder off the street” versus “The relationship doesn’t need to be adversarial.” How exactly does treating a member of your own family as you would a/an [insert a given person’s capacity] off the street not constitute an adversarial relationship?

• Doubting thomas says:

Well I would not treat anyone I was allowing to live in my home in an adversarial manner. A boarder off the street is still someone living in your home. Creating an adversarial relationship with them would make your own home an unpleasant place to live. Setting boundaries and making clear your financial and social expectations isn’t adversarial at all.

• Vox Republica says:

What’s adversarial for a random person with whom you have started a financial relationship and what’s adversarial for your own family are two entirely different standards. Again, apply the person off the street standards to any other interactions with your family. If you stick by that credo, they probably won’t consider you family for very long.

• Doubting thomas says:

They will if they need a place to live. /s

On a serious note I was not aware of there being 2 definitions of adversarial. Adversarial means as adversaries aka opposing sides. Setting solid ground rules does not create an us vs them scenario. Refusing to follow simple rules set by someone whose home you are living in does.

• Vox Republica says:

I’m sure my parents will appreciate this lack of distinction next time they ask me for my help with a standard plumbing concern and I charge them market rate.

• Doubting thomas says:

Not sure I get the correlation there. Living rent free having groceries and utilities bought for you does not equal doing a chore for a parent as a favor. I don’t have a grown child so i will use my bother as an example. If he wanted me to fix his computer I would be happy to do it, no charge, no strings. If he wanted to live in my guest bedroom and eat my food then he could either pay me rent or keep my house clean and my yard-work done. Boht ways there are some rules I would expect him to follow. (No smoking in my house, don’t get drunk in front of my kid, be home at a reasonable hour on school/work days so as not to disturb myself or my family.) Thise same rules would apply to a tenant I rented that bedroom to neither situation is adversarial.

4. Michael Belisle says:

Tell your child that you only loved them from when they were five years old until they were nine.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Before anyone moves back in, everyone needs to sit down and discuss the matter as peers and adults, not as parent and child. Not all boomerang kids move back with their parents because they’re deadbeats – there are many good reasons for doing so, and most of them relate to money (lack thereof). If everyone can discuss a good arrangement and timeline and stick to it, any measures to be harsh or forceful are unnecessary.

• Bibliovore says:

This, this, this! Communicating clearly and up front is really important.

And for people who didn’t do that initially, do it now. Instead of just suddenly telling them that they owe you rent or have a curfew or can’t keep their room door closed, sit down and discuss the matter like adults. “When you moved back in, we didn’t discuss time frame or guidelines or responsibilities. This has been going on longer than we’d thought, so let’s discuss it now so we all know what to expect.”

It can indeed be made non-adversarial. If they don’t have a plan for getting back on their own feet, you can help them set one up, or suggest talking again in two days to give them time to figure one out themselves. You can add chores as shared household responsibilities or housing compensation or helping their “not as young as we used to be” parents, not necessarily as we’re-annoyed-that-you’re-still-here punishment. Or just say, “We want to support you, but also for this not to be a freeloading experience with no limits. We know you need to save money to move out, so how about instead of rent you do….”

6. unpolloloco says:

“If your kid wants to leech off you like a teenager, make him obey the rules of a teenager. That means curfews, chores and minimal privacy.”

Are these actions going to help the situation or make the house more pleasant? I agree about the need to be firm, but imposing rules isn’t going to end well unless both parties agree to them…which means communication and expectations (from both parties) are key

• Doubting thomas says:

Your job as a parent isn’t to be pleasant. If someone is living under your roof and not paying rent then they can live by whatever rules are set for them. Don’t want a curfew, pay rent or find some other way to contribute. Letting your 20 something slacker sit on your couch and eat Cheetos all day while you foot the bill and clean up after them is not doing them any favors and not making your life any more pleasant.

• unpolloloco says:

Absolutely. But not having a two-way discussion about how to improve the situation is a recipe for failure. Treating a twenty-something like a teenager is not going to end well if it’s a unilateral decision.

• huadpe says:

Depends why your kids are living with you though. I am living at home with my mom (and paying about market rate* for renting a room, $400/mo and putting her on my car insurance). I could easily afford an apartment on my own, but I am staying with her because she’s asked me to. She’s getting up in years and would rather not be alone in the house. Also, even though the rate for a room is market rate, with anyone other than family I would rent an apartment, not a room, and would be paying considerably more to do so.

*My market is long island. Crappy studios begin at $800. Decent one bedrooms at $1200.

• Kuri says:

I’m in a similar situation with my mom. My dad is a long haul trucker and can’t be home often enough, and my mom has numerous health issues to where she can’t do a lot by herself, she tries, but, well, all of her allergies plus other physical ailments, yeah, I mean she’s allergic to most cleaners, and her cigarette smoke allergy makes going out an absolute Hell at times.

7. Hi_Hello says:

change the locks.

8. Rod Rescueman says:

Funny story, knew a guy who lived at home until his 30’s with no intention of leaving. He lived at home, rent free and sold comic books at conventions for a living. His parents tried kicking him to the curb several times with no avail. Finally one day he was out of state at a comic convention and returned home to a locked, empty house and a note saying to see the next door neighbors. There he was handed a key and a note saying the house has been sold, the parents have moved to an apartment out of state but will not disclose where. His belongings are in a storage facility and the key was attached. The neighbor does not know the parent’s whereabouts but they will be contacted in 6 months, and he can contact them.
    Cold!

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

This is a winner. IMO if he clearly does not have a plan on breaking off and living on his own I’d do this to my own kid. I don’t know the full story but I assume the parents have discussed with him about it but he didn’t really act upon it.

At least they specified they will contact him after a few months, but they clearly have shown him that he can never move back in. Tough love at its best. :)

• AllanG54 says:

I love it. Good for them.

• Kuri says:

Heh, only thing I’d have done different is change him to the owner and say all the bills are his to pay now

9. j2.718ff says:

curfew?

Unless the goal is to make your kids act like a resentful teenager again, I don’t see what this could possibly accomplish.

Yeah, I know I missed curfew. Sometimes I work third-shift. You know, earning money, so I can eventually move out. Am I grounded now?

• Doubting thomas says:

No reasonable parent is going to set a curfew that interferes with a work schedule. But the one my mom set on my 24 yr old little brother was perfectly reasonable. She was tired of being woken up by him stumbling home at 3 and 4 in the morning. She told him that if he was going to live in her house rent free he would be home before midnight or after 7 am. The moral of the story id that if you don’t want to be treated like a child you should grow up and pay your own way in life. if you can’t do that then the least you can do is show some courtesy to the person providing you with food and shelter.

• George4478 says:

>>She told him that if he was going to live in her house rent free he would be home before midnight or after 7 am.

And when he ignores her? What’s the stick she uses to go with the carrot?

• kalaratri says:

Presumably he would no longer be living with her rent free.

• axhandler1 says:

Enforced how, exactly?

• TheGreySpectre says:

By kicking them out and forcing them to go and pay for a place if they abide. You can’t do that when they are teenagers but you CAN do that when they are adults.

• Yomiko says:

Not without proper eviction procedings. You can give a minor up for adoption against their protests (I know you weren’t talking about adoption in your post). You have to follow procedure to evict an adult. Even without paying rent, that person is a tenant.

• Powerlurker says:

Changing the locks?

• Doubting thomas says:

The first couple of times she just chewed him out. Then she gave him a 30 day notice to move out. He tried to call her bluff and came home to find new locks and his stuff boxed and stored in the garage.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Mine would be a deadbolt locked from the inside.

10. kelcema says:

What about the third side of the coin? Being 32, having your parents screw up financially, so you end up buying a house and they live there, paying you rent?!? Yeah, that’s the situation I am in– just with deadbeat siblings instead of parents. Heh.

I do know that not charging them rent wasn’t giving them much of an incentive to get their lives straightened out, but on the other side, it’s difficult for 61-year-olds to re-enter the job market.

• Yomiko says:

I have a coworker who built a house and lost it in a foreclosure a few years ago so his credit was wrecked. His son got a mortgage for another house through the VA, the parents pay the mortgage bill, and the son pays him rent.

Similarly weird situation.

11. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

My kids are welcome to stay here as long as they like. I enjoy their company, and like knowing where they are. My only rule is that they need to be in school, have a job, or be looking for a job. My daughter, 24, has moved in and out a few times and is probably out for good as she just got her Bachelor’s degree. But I keep her room ready (by not turning it into a storage room) if she ever wants to come back.

• j2.718ff says:

A college friend of mine’s parents had a rule. As long as he was a student, they covered all his expenses. (His parents were rather on the wealthy side). This encouraged him to be a deadbeat student for quite a while. I think after about 10 years and several schools, he finally earned a BS.

• Blueskylaw says:

My bedroom is still there from when I was lived there and every time I visit my parents overnight I get to sleep in my old bed surrounded by my books and collectibles (and some of my old clothes that don’t fit anymore :-(

• Yorick says:

Sounds like he earned his “BS” long before he graduated.

• BennieHannah says:

Yeah, I actually enjoy the company of my children. Although they have their foibles and faults, they are interesting and entertaining individuals and if they needed to move back home to get back on their feet, they’d be welcome here. No doubt we’d drive each other crazy after a while — just because that’s what families do to one another — but family is family, and you adjust.

12. DogiiKurugaa says:

My problem with this article as one of the Boomerang Kids is that it assumes that all of us are deadbeats. I am still living with my parents because I can’t find a job still. I can’t even get a job at McDonald’s for crying out loud. And even if I did I couldn’t afford rent on even the lowest end apartment in my area. How am I supposed to move out, which I really want to do, when I have no job and couldn’t afford a place to live even if I did?

• dks64 says:

I understand, you’re not a moocher. I was out for a little over a year with my ex. We broke up, I moved back in, and have been here since September of 2010. My parents just want to see me move forward, that’s a requirement for sticking around. I’m only going to be here a few more months. I have a decent paying job (waitress), but I still have to go back to school for my BA and get an actual career in the near future. By the time I move out, I will have paid off $13,000 worth of bills (credit card, 5k from my dog’s knee injury, 1k from wisdom teeth removal, and the last bit of my car payment). That’s just in the time that I’ve lived with my parents. I never would have been able to do that without them. I love my parents and appreciate everything they’ve done for me.

13. Blueskylaw says:

Last time I went to visit my parents (about 100 miles away), my mom asked me if I would ever want to move back home and I said no, even though we have a great relationship. Of course, if there was ever a financial emergency, I know I would have a place that I could stay for a while which does give me some piece of mind.

14. framitz says:

My daughter and her daughter live with us. She moved back home a few months after her daughter was born.
    I am glad to have her and my grand daughter at home.
    My daughter works and contributes, but can’t afford her own place. I’m in no hurry for her to leave as the positives far out weigh the negatives.

15. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I think it’s great that parents can and will help their kids when they have rough times. That’s what family does. But the key word is “help”, not “enable”. Help is when you live with your parents while you’re trying to find a job, or get back on your feet, and at the same time, maybe mow the lawn, help with laundry, clean, carry groceries, pitch in what you can for utilities, cook, do dishes, etc. There are too many situations where kids feel entitled and their parents enable them to just be moochers, like my 56 year old cousin who still lives with my aunt and uncle.

Even birds have enough sense to kick out their offspring when they’re big enough to fend for themselves. Every spring I love watching the juvenile cardinals squawk for seeds, first from their mother, who patiently shows them where the feeder is, and then from their father, who is usually a little slower on the uptake when it comes to beak feeding them seeds they’re capable of picking up themselves. Eventually both cardinal parents leave their offspring and they do quite well on their own.

• dks64 says:

My parents have enabled my sister for years, but they stopped after the most recent stay. My sister jumped into a marriage with someone, got pregnant twice, and when he left, she came back to my parents. The thing is, it wasn’t her first time, it was her second. And she didn’t come back with 2 kids, she came with 4. My sister acted like she was just the victim and everyone should help her and cater to her. She spent more time on Facebook than playing with her kids. She made everyone’s life miserable when she lived with my parents for that year. Here’s the kicker. Not even a few months after husband #2 left, she started dating someone else. They got married a year later and got pregnant immediately… with twins. They have 7 kids between them. My Mom even said she creates her own problems, she’s not “saving” her anymore. When the marriages end, she puts herself in a situation where she can’t support her and her kids. She has too many kids! Enabling is bad.

• dks64 says:

I had an aunt who mooched off my parents for a year and a half too. This all happened while my sister lived there. She was only supposed to live there for 2 months (we KNEW she would weasel longer). When my Mom kicked everyone out when she moved (except me, lease said no extra people), my aunt was so pissed off and left. Not without getting into an argument with my Mom. She never thanked my Mom for letting her stay rent free and even buy her food, toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc. She was 100% in the wrong, such a bitch. Note that she’s 42.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I’m 49 and would hide if I had to live with my parents :) I mean, I’m sure if my house burned down, they wouldn’t let me outside in a box, but I’d be out of there as fast as I could, and while I was there, I’d be pitching in as much as possible, by both helping with chores and money.

I know a woman who has 4 kids to 4 different men, she married, had a kid, divorced, lather, rinse, repeat. She hit all 4 up for maximum support. What a scam.

16. AustinTXProgrammer says:

My oldest is 7… So this is all thinking to the future. I was thinking I charge 25% of gross income and put it entirely into a down payment on a house fund.. If he doesn’t want that he can go find his own place.

There will be rules too. Mostly avoid being irritating and do chores.

• OnePumpChump says:

Don’t assume that the opportunities that existed for you will exist for your child.

That is the mistake that parents of young adults today have made. They lived at the peak of human prosperity and assumed it would last forever, and a lot of them blame their kids for situations that they themselves had much more role in creating.

17. trencherman says:

There are a lot of situations where I think it’s okay for parents to help out their kids, and not feel they are being taken advantage of. I stopped living at home at 18, when I got a full scholarship for my bachelors. After graduation I lived on my own a couple years, but ended up getting in a huge mess, medical and financial. I was 24. My parents allowed me to return to live at home for ~8 months. They completely saved my butt. If they hadn’t helped me, I don’t know where I would have ended up. Thanks Mom and Dad for not paying attention to people like those who wrote this article!!!

18. Erika says:

Sometimes it’s the parents that doesn’t realize they need their boomerang kid.

I was a boomerang kid and I lived with my mom for a long time. She was constantly trying to kick me out, verbally abusing me all the while. She’s a very bitter woman with tons of issues. Of course, I stayed because she can’t afford the house she lives in so I was helping out with bills and various other things. It was only recently that I moved out when I decided I could no longer retain my sanity while trying to keep my mom afloat.

She’s currently having financial issues, which is no surprise to anyone in my family.

19. AllanG54 says:

I told my wife her 20 year old son gets to live with us for one year after he graduates college and then he’s out. He’s never worked a day in his life, isn’t motivated to do so and doesn’t help out around the house either. He used to spend about 60% of his time living with his father but they got into a fight 3 years ago and dad threw him out so he’s been with us ever since. I was thrilled when I had an empty nest. Daughter was married nine years ago at 21 and son moved in with girl he married not long after he graduated.

20. Earl Butz says:

Yeah, back in the day my 19th birthday present was getting tossed out on my ass. Full-time student and working. My crime? Having a girlfriend.

It worked out. I quit school, made some shit happen and eventually – ten years later – graduated with my B.A.

I am now in my mid-forties. Good career and all that. I have about ten to twenty years before it comes time to put my parents in a home. I have not forgotten that at a time when I needed their help to get a leg up, they tossed me on my ass because they didn’t like a girl I was dating. Maybe I’ll put them somewhere nice.

Maybe I won’t.

• dks64 says:

Do you think your parents did it because they thought it was the right thing to do for you? Discouraging you from having a girlfriend so you could get your schooling done. I think what they did was overkill, but they might have truly thought it was what was in your best interest.

• Earl Butz says:

They did it because they thought it was not ok for their white son to have an Asian girlfriend. Hope this clears up any confusion about their motivations.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i was tossed out the week after high school graduation. fortunately i’d been working for a few years already and rented an apartment with a friend. but man, i’d have liked to have that one last summer…..

• trencherman says:

The best nursing home that Medicaid can buy!

• ganon446 says:

Jobs are not as easy to come by as they were in the 90s, and 80s.

21. SavijMuhdrox says:

*become a nudist.

22. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Heh. I ran into the same situation many years back with my younger brother. While living at home he used to stay out late, sleep until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, complain about the FREE food my parents fed him… I got so pissed that I told my mom to just say the word and I’d physically throw him and all his shit out on the lawn. Thankfully he’s straightened out and is a great, hardworking guy now, living on his own.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Son of a @%!&*($%>! This was supposed to be a response to alana0j at the top of the thread.

Stupid buttons and…computer stuff…

23. HogwartsProfessor says:

I did this too, but I was working and paying for my own food, etc. My dad didn’t charge me rent because he was driving a truck and wanted me to look after the house. So I kept it clean and mowed the yard and basically was there so he wouldn’t get burgled or anything.

It worked out pretty well. I stayed there until I moved in with my ex, and then when we broke up I moved where I currently live on my own.

24. brinks says:

My mom’s policy was that, as soon as we graduated from high school, we had to start paying rent. I was out of the house within 60 days of graduation.

Screw that. If I have to pay rent, I AM NOT CLEANING MY ROOM!

18 years later, my room is still am mess. TAKE THAT, MOM!

25. voogru says:

“Some boomerang kids are so untrustworthy that any lease of yours they sign won’t be worth the paper his college degree is printed on”

Hey wait a minute, wasn’t it the parents that pushed their kids to go to college in the first place? And now they’re mad that their kid is deeply in debt and can’t get a job because the degrees are a huge epic worthless scam that has been pushed onto the public?

Say it aint so joe.

• ganon446 says:

Same not to mention baby boomers have enacted policies, unions which have gave their generation an amazing boom but overshored countless jobs.

It’s almost impossible for me to find a job that doesn’t require you to take a trade course or college course for training that used to be on the job for low paying. So now all thats out there are entry level jobs that don’t train and don’t pay well

26. ganon446 says:

We wouldn’t be in this situation if the baby boomers didn’t preach every person most go to college and that it will be golden and you’ll get a job to take care of everything.

Then we find out Student Loans are like child support they never go away.

-Jobs aren’t out there
    -You become over qualified for most positions.
    -Jobs actual require job experience rather then education.
    -You have your masters but your making 10.00 an hour.
    – You can join the Police force but still low paying job for the degree.

At this point most Baby Boomers unless they got laid off do not understand how the job market as got so bad. In the early 00s yes the market was bad for us but they could always hop into another position with their experience.

At this point jobs do not want to train they want you to go to trade schools for things like being a Taxi Driver. Education industry is a scam rather then schools teach you trade skills or how to balance a check book they teach you how to pass a test for college prep

The system as setup now sets you up to go out in the world unprepared.

I as a child was never taught to wash clothes, I couldn’t use a stove till the age of 16. Cleaning? Ha.

27. Memtex784 says:

I lived with my parents till I was 26, besides spending 2 years away from college. It was cheaper than renting. A few times were rough but mostly I still told them where I was out of habit. Didn’t have cell phones back then. Not like I laid around all day. I always had full time job, always paid for my insurance, gas, car payment, etc.

28. OnePumpChump says:

“* Become a tough landlord. Treat your child just as harshly as you would a boarder off the street. Set a market rate for rent and draft up an agreement on paper.”

Someone DOES NOT GET IT.

29. sj_user1 says:

Don’t be surprised when your kids ship you off to a nursing home and have you declared unfit to manage your own finances.

30. xamarshahx says:

I live at home, but I pay the mortgage. It works out for everyone, we save money and get to be a family.

31. vorpalette says:

I’ve been fairly self-sufficient since I was about 8–only child with a single mom who worked full time and was in the Army Reserves, I learned how to feed, bathe, and dress myself, as well as do my own laundry. I got kicked out at 19 because my mom got laid off and couldn’t afford to support me anymore. Now that I have two degrees, she’s coming to me for money because she doesn’t know how to manage her own finances (nevermind that I have student loans that just went into repayment, car payment, rent/utilities, and a wedding to pay for).

My fiance’s mom is AWESOME, though. She spoils us and would love it if we moved in with her. Fiance moved back in with her after he and his ex split up because he had gone back to school and cut his hours down at work. He lived with her for a couple of years, no rules or restrictions until he got his degree and we got a place together. I would have no problem moving in with his mom, especially after we have kids, but we’d have to get a bigger house.

32. OldSchool says:

With recent gollege grad unemployment at 47% (gradautes from 2006 – 2010) and overall youth unemployment vastly understated (at least as bad if not worse for non-grads) the reason for so many boomerangers should be pretty darn clear.

Source: http://www.usyouthchamber.com/the-u-s-youth-unemployment-rate/

33. heybebeh says:

This is the most callous and uncaring thing I have read in a long time. I think even the term boomeranger is derogatory. Have some frickin compassion. I don’t think 20-something kids generally WANT to live with their parents. People today don’t have the same opportunities their parents did. They move in because they have no other choice. I lived with my mother until well into my 20s, because I needed to. I’m in my 30s now, and the kindness and compassion she showed me by letting me live with her is a model for how I choose to treat people in my own life.

Now I think it’s more than fair to set ground rules and expectations — after all, it’s a privilege to live with you after 18, not a right. Keep the common areas clean, don’t expect me to do your laundry, contribute financially as much as you’re able, etc. Expecting them to do chores is not unreasonable. You do need to make it clear that sponging off you isn’t an option.

Every once in a while there’s a sponge, just like elsewhere in life. A parent knows their own kid and knows if they should move in or not. But if they’re living with you out of desperation, there’s no need to be a jerk to them. Monitoring their job application status, telling them they have to volunteer, and any one of a number of other similar things is just being a micromanaging turd. Either let them live with you, or don’t. But don’t be an a-hole.

I think setting a bunch of petty rules is asking for family trouble. If you’re that much of a jerk, why the hell did you have kids, anyway?

34. eyecon82 says:

this is why american culture is going to crap…..no one takes care of family anymore. Charging rent to children in my culture is unheard of. We take care our children till they are married, to a person of their choosing. Instead of shipping off our elderly parents to nursing homes and retirement facilities, we have them live with us.

This culture also has the highest rate of physicians, lawyers, businessmen than any other culture.

wake up america and get back your family values!