Another Town Forced To Cancel Easter Egg Hunt Due To Pushy, Violent Parents

Come on, parents, pull yourselves together and act decent for your kids, because this is getting ridiculous: Yet another town, this one in Georgia, is canceling an Easter Egg hunt over concerns that parents will get violent during the festivities.

The Easter Bunny’s visit to Macon’s Central City Park is usually one of the largest in the area, says the Macon Telegraph, but the hunt’s coordinator says he’s canceling it because “parents caused a situation in which some children got hurt.”

Even with different areas of the park set aside for various age groups, parents would still insist on tagging along with their kids, and incidents occurred where parents became violent while trying to get their kids the most eggs.

In the past, a woman was injured and several children were “trampled on.” For the love of Peeps, people! We’re ashamed of you.

Fortunately for the citizens of Macon, there are a few other options for a Sunday hunt. Just remember to behave yourselves out there and avoid trodding on children.

No Easter bunny at Macon’s Central City Park this year [The Telegraph]

Comments

1. tbax929 says:

It’s the end of the world as we know it…

And I feel fine.

2. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I love Peeps, especially the strawberry creme Valentine edition heart shaped type. I think I will go and get my fix on now !

3. Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

It’s fine if your child’s feelings get hurt. It’s fine if they get a little bruise. Let your child experience setbacks. They don’t have to be perfect in everything they do, that will only ruin their personality. A parent who doesn’t let their child fail every so often is a failure of a parent.

• frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

Well said.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

also, the egg fight will rake in lots of youtube views and maybe a little ad revenue towards junior’s college fund

• kc2idf says:

Agreed that children should experience setbacks once in a while.

I had the thought that perhaps, since the parents seem determined not to let their children suffer minor setbacks, the threat should be this: You get one warning. One. You get in there a second time, and you, and your child are out, and your child must give up any findings. No, you can not have your entry fee back, and the word “cheating” must be used, because kids understand that word.

If the parents were under threat of having their child suffer a big setback if they don’t leave well enough alone, maybe they’ll be a little more willing to let their child suffer a small, child-sized setback.

• alana0j says:

This. You absolutely cannot coddle your child and protect them from ever getting their feelings hurt. It sucks to see your kid cry, it sucks to know that they hurt. But guess what?? They will get over it and be a tougher person for it in the end. Are these parents going to hold their kid’s hand at their first job interview? Call a potential employer and scold them when they don’t hire their precious child? AHHHH stupid parents make me crazy!!!

4. Benny says:

No home training.

5. TheMansfieldMauler says:

I don’t think there’s any possible way to have a good public egg hunt. You can’t have all ages together because the little ones get run over. You can’t separate them into different areas because then the single moms with multiple kids in different age groups can’t separate them and watch them at the same time. You can’t allow parents on the field because they’ll start picking up the eggs for their own kids. You can’t keep them off the field because the need to help the littlest ones.

It just shouldn’t be done. If someone complains that there’s no public hunt, put them in charge of coordinating it next year. They’ll never complain again.

• StatusfriedCrustomer says:

The whole thing should be computerized. Virtual Reality would save the day here.

• Scoobatz says:

We had this problem in our area and the organizers came up with the following solution. Each kid was only allowed to collect a certain number of plastic eggs (maybe 12), and they were all empty. The eggs had to be redeemed by standing in line and turning them in. There was no incentive to find more eggs than what you were allotted. And, once you found your share, you quickly got in line in order to cash them in. This also had the added benefit of ensuring the appropriate type of candy was doled out to each kid based on age. (And, for the organizers, they didn’t have to spend any time filling up the eggs.)

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

thats similar to what they do in Philly @ our locar park/rec center; its divided into 2 age groups I think maybe 5-8 & 9-12 the kids find empty eggs the limit is 10 or 12 and they have to take them over to the clubhouse to redeem them.

• alliebeth says:

This is how it was when I was little, except some eggs had pieces of paper in them that entitled you to bigger “Prizes”. Empty eggs got you candy, and there was a limit of like 6 per kid.

• Eyeheartpie says:

How about you put the parents in straitjackets so they can’t pick up any eggs, and immediately arrest (for assault) any parent who physically bumps another kid out of the way of their precious snowflake.

• caradrake says:

I like the events where the hunts are divided by age, but also have different time slots. The littlest kids have the first hunt, then ever increasing. The yard gets re-seeded between each round, and allows parents to watch each event.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Except that for decades there has never been an issue with these things. The problems are pretty recent b/c so many parents have turned into competitive assholes who teach their kids to win at all costs, and they don’t want their mar their precious snowflake’s ego (because you know that getting a few less eggs than some of the other kids will scar you for life.)

And, if you have a hunt with separate toddler areas, you start them at different times. Youngest go first then oldest. Totally works. My church has done it that way forever, as has my husband’s family at their big hunts.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

The problems aren’t ‘pretty recent.’ I remember multiple incidents back in the 1970s where little kids got mowed down by parents during Easter egg hunts.

• Galium says:

‘assholes who teach their kids to win at all costs”. They are just doing what they were taught by those who run things. When politicians, CEO’s, and upper execs, stop being A holes and getting all they can then maybe those on the lower end would follow their example. When you see the people at the top taking everything they can with no consideration for anyone but themselves, what would you expect from those who have less. Not saying A hole parents should interfere with the egg hunts, but people follow by example from the so called leaders.

• frugalmom says:

Our town did this yesterday, each group started at a different time. I intended to let my 4 year old pick up eggs by himself, but there were hundreds of kids and parents there, and frankly I was afraid of losing him. He got about twenty feet away from me and I lost sight of him. After that I stayed with him, but I only held his bag for him.

• bennilynn says:

The one my nephews went to on Friday said that each kid was only allowed to find 10 eggs. That way, there were plenty to go around and it wasn’t a frantic competition. Everyone had fun and it wasn’t a crazy scene at all.

• smo0 says:

“because then the single moms with multiple kids in different age groups can’t separate them and watch them at the same time”

This is why people shouldn’t breed.
      And if this is a problem, we need to be voting for forcing people to use some sort of birth control.

6. Scuba Steve says:

A person is smart and rational. People are panicky, irrational, selfish groups. All it takes is the appearance that someone else is getting an advantage over you and you turn off all the pleasantries and self control that helps us distinguish ourselves from a pack of wolves.

• Thopter says:

“A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.” –Agent K, MIB

• WB987 says:

Actually, individuals aren’t very smart at all and there are many studies that show how horrible an individual is at reconciling cognitive dissonance in a positive way, predicting the future, or even making decisions. We might even be too dumb as Americans to even get democracy right! There are hundreds of logical fallacies that people fall into every day. So, in short, individual are not smart. At all. Not even close.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

YDWN’s razor: The intelligence of a group of people varies inversely with it’s population.

You can actually substitute many words for “intelligence.” Like tolerance, rationality, common decency…

7. Peffse says:

I was wondering what happens when children raise children.

8. working class Zer0 says:

SPIKE T.V.’s newest show….Extreme Easter Egg Hunting!

9. bosozoku says:

Real reason: Jewpacabra.

• mikeMD says:

That would explain the injuries and trampling at our seder.

• jefeloco says:

I saw that episode on the other day and tried to watch it but my wife hates that show, to the point that she stopped my recording of it to watch live tv, then swapped to something on the DVR.

• Caffinehog says:

I see what jew did there, annefrankly, I don’t like it one bit.

10. Hungry Dog says:

Well, you know the old saying, “If you’re not first you’re last.”

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

shake ‘n’ bake

• ShadowJack says:

“II raised you boys to be winners, If I wanted losers I’d have named you Dr Quinn and Medicine Woman.”

11. frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

We used to host an Easter Egg Hunt through the local Jaycee chapter. Parents were NOT allowed with children over three. We had plenty of extra eggs and stuff for kids that weren’t fast enough. This was in the early 80′s. Our little town was full of idiot parents long ago.

You should have seen Little League!

My son put Peeps in the microwave. What a trip!

12. The_Fuzz_53 says:

There is entirely too much white trash in the world. It’s time to take out the trash and chlorinate the gene pool.

13. Aliciaz777 says:

This is just sad. Shame in the parents that do this crap. I remember one Easter, my mom was really sick with the flu, so she asked me to take my little sister to the local public egg hunt. I was 15 and my sister was 8. Well, I witnessed this behavior first hand. I was going to let my sister go hunt for eggs by herself, keeping her in eye sight the whole time, but when I saw parents knocking kids down and making mad dashes for eggs, I chased after my sister and stayed with her. Whenever a parent came close to my sister and acted like they were going to push her aside, I have them a really mean look and they backed away. One parent, a father, knocked down a little boy around 5 or 6 and he started crying. He didn’t have parents with him so I ran to him, helped him up, and asked him where his mom and dad were. He said he lost them (there were a LOT of people there) so I kept him with my sister and I until we found his parents about 15 minutes later. My sister was so nice, letting the little boy grab all the eggs she found until we found his parents.

I was disgusted at the behavior of the “adults” at that egg hunt and I told my mom everything when we got home. “Yea, I should’ve warned you that they get pretty pushy” she said. After that, we kept my sister home and did our own egg hunt in the back yard.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Good for you for taking care of the little boy. Poor little guy.

• VermilionSparrow says:

My sister and I always did egg hunts at home, after an incident at a church egg hunt that was only minimally age-segregated (3 and unders, and 4-12 age groups only), ostensibly due to not having enough kids in a small-town church to justify further separation. At the time, I was 4 and my sister was 2. She managed to get about 5 or 6 eggs, but I managed only 1, and was shoved away several times by older kids (parents weren’t allowed to help the “older group”, and I don’t know if this would have made it worse or not). I remember going over to the side to complain to my mom about the shoving, and she said “just shove them next time”… My sister ended up sharing her eggs with me.

14. humphrmi says:

In my Christian days, my mom would hide the easter eggs in our house and yard, then we (my brother and I, two of us) would go find them. We had plenty of fun. The idea that you have to do this in packs is what really puzzles me. A little family time is good, but the problem is that parents don’t want to put in the effort and would rather have someone else hide the eggs for them. THAT is the real problem.

As a youth sports volunteer, I see this all the time. We have some people who never volunteer to do even the simplest job, like bringing some cookies and juice for the kids to enjoy after the game. It’s like they want everyone to do stuff for them. You’d think they were just being lazy asses, but I think it’s more about being selfish.

• Snip says:

I was wondering about this myself. When I was a kid, everybody hunted Easter eggs in our own yards, or a near relative’s yard. They only people hosting big egg hunts were Churches, and nobody was going to misbehave with the Deacon staring at you the whole while. Why would you even want to go hunt Easter eggs with a bunch of strangers? That seems like it takes most of the real family fun out of it.

• humphrmi says:

The real fun was the eggs you didn’t find. Until July. That was always fun… finding an egg, all colored and festive on the outside, but you knew what was on the inside.

• cash_da_pibble says:

My parents used to hide eggs when we were young… but they stopped doing it around the time my older sister turned ten. I have an older sister and younger brother, all three of us born within 79-82. My oldest brother is 9 years older than me, so technically my parents had been hiding eggs for 15 years or so- i guess they finally got sick of it.
      Being the artist, I still enjoyed dyeing eggs and needed an excuse… so I told my parents “Buy me a carton and dye, and I’ll do the rest.”
      And I did- for 4 years I dyed eggs, hid eggs and let my siblings find the eggs. I still enjoy dyeing and hiding eggs for my nieces and nephews.

15. Bodger says:

Yeah! It isn’t as if they are giving out good solid dark chocolate goodies…

16. Nunov Yerbizness says:

Awww, no more community Easter egg hunts, ain’t that a shame. Enjoy the world you’ve made, breeders!

17. ninabi says:

Gah! How many obnoxious parents are out there in this world? The few public Easter egg hunts I took my kids to, we parents sat at picnic tables and gossiped while the kids found a lot, or just a few eggs. Who cared? Quit bugging mom, we’re trying to talk.

For a refreshing contrast- here’s an Easter egg hunt organized for blind kids, with beeping eggs.

18. MacUser1986 says:

Good job parents, your ignorant and hostile ways have done nothing but affected your own children.

19. gman863 says:

All these parents left with nothing to do for Easter…

I wonder if the Chuck E Cheese’s in Macon is open Easter Sunday?

20. Ilovegnomes says:

I can’t believe that no one posted, “I make my own Easter egg hunts at home.” Well there, I just did! Ha, ha!

21. Patricia says:

I did an Easter egg hunt in my own yard for the 4 grandkids until they moved 1000 miles away. Now I mail them an Easter egg hunt (their parents have to hide the eggs, since I can’t.) We don’t do “guvment freebies.”

22. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

And this society that we’ve built based on a bundle of fairy tales and comic books and thinly veiled social Darwinism begins to fray around the edges. Who would have thought?

23. Daddy-o says:

I’m Jewish so forgive me if I’m unclear on the concept, but couldn’t parents have their Easter Egg hunt in their own backyards? Parents without backyards can do it in indoors, or do it privately in a small corner of a public park. Is it supposed to be a competition?

• Froggee285 says:

Parents can do it, its just that the town is having a free one, so then the parents don’t have to set it up buy and fill eggs and such.

24. kimmie says:

This is the beginning of the complete breakdown of society…