Living Like The Jetsons: Push A Button On Your Fridge, Instantly Order A Pizza

Ever since we saw the Jetsons not only forgo the boring task of showering and dressing themselves but also press a button and have food materialize in front of them, we’ve known that future had to happen someday. And now it seems we’re one step closer, as a pizza chain in Dubai has introduced a one-button ordering method, via fridge magnet.

There might not be any matter materializing going on, but as CNET points out, it’s pretty dang cool to order a pizza without talking to anyone or even placing an order online. At Red Tomato Pizza, loyal customers can now take advantage of their “very important pizza lovers fridge magnet.”

The magnet works with the magic of a Bluetooth chip that connects to your cell phone, and transmits a preprogrammed order back to the restaurant. You then receive a confirmation via text message. Sure, you’re limited to one kind of pizza order per button — so just get a few, no big deal. You can customize the default pizza order if you feel like going all pepperoni one week and sausage and onion the next.

Of course, keeping it out of reach of little ones or teenagers likely to bankrupt you via pizza is a good idea.

Now let’s get this baby to America and continue on our march toward a fully-realized Jetsons lifestyle. I’m sick of washing and drying my own hair.

Pizza joint creates one-push wireless order button [CNET]

Comments

1. caradrake says:

Nifty. I think something like this would definitely encourage people to switch to a certain chain – I know I would!

2. SaltWater says:

Dubai pizza sucks and delivery is slow.

3. Marlin says:

As the parent of a 3 year old, I don’t need a dozen pizza’s everyday. My 3 year old may disagree though. ;-)

4. RedOryx says:

I’ve always wanted pizza like in Back to the Future Part 2, where they have the tiny frozen one, stick in the magical machine, and about 10 seconds later out comes a hot full-size Pizza Hut pizza.

• bhr says:

When I was with a former employer one site I visited had a pizza vending machine, not quite Back To the Future cool, but it impressed the heck out of me.

They also had an icecream vending machine and a couple of the coolest one-cup coffee machines (w/syrups) I’ve seen.

Then again, nothing will top the beer vending machine at the one broker shop I worked for.

• OutPastPluto says:

There is a particular brand and type of pizza that does very well in the microwave and is small enough to fit in your typically sized refrigerated vending machines. These pizzas have been on sale since at least the 80s.

They’re no worse than what Pizza Hut sells.

• Kusac says:

Yeah, it’s a shame that the movie was based in 2015, just three years from now. Do we really have any of the cool things you see from that movie? Maybe a show within a show, but no tvs that show 6 channels at once. The flying car we have looks nothing like the hovercars, and so on.
      The movie lied!

• RedOryx says:

Oh! The 6 channels at once, where you talk to the TV and tell it what channels you want. Love that, too.

• shepd says:

I can’t remember which software I used, but it certainly isn’t hard to use a PC video card to show 6 channels at once. Well, 6 clips of channels rotating through which one is live anyways. Or attach 6 video capture devices. :)

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Well…you *could* hop in a DeLorean and drive it into a brick wall at 88MPH…

…can’t say I’d recommend it. But you could definitely do it.

• scoosdad says:

I think I saw Jaws 19, directed by Max Spielberg, on cable last week.

5. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

This is something I thought I might see on Hack A Day first.

6. IphtashuFitz says:

I can see two outcomes to this…

1 – You end up with a refrigerator covered in magnets from different restaurants/groceries/etc. and end up spending 30 minutes trying to figure out which magnet button to press to order whatever it is you currently have a craving for.

2 – Your child, drunk friend, etc. either thinks the button is a toy or it would just be really funny to press it a dozen times to see what happens.

As far as #2 goes, when me and my brother were really young (roughly 6-8, back in the 70’s) we visited my grandparents at their home in Florida for a week. When we were shown our bedroom we were told “Don’t press the button on that box next to the bed” but weren’t told anything else. So when we were alone my brother decided to press it to see what happened. Absolutely nothing happened until about 10 minutes later when the police showed up at the front door. So simply telling a toddler/child not to press a button like this isn’t going to stop them from doing it, especially in this day & age.

• rmorin says:

People like you can never see positive. Instead of “cool this can work for a large group of people” you look for (and describe in paragraph form) the people it can’t help.

Fortunately people that actually innovate don’t listen to people like you.

• RandomHookup says:

Looking at the downside is just part of the process. There are some real drawbacks to this as an offering…but it was just goofy stuff that could go wrong anyway.

• shepd says:

My car has a giant red fire suppression system button covered by one of those click in place covers in the ceiling, right beside the ticket light. The trunk button is also in the centre of the dash just below the radio and just above the HVAC controls.

I told my friend never to push either button while we’re driving, most especially the big red button, unless the car is actually on fire.

He’s probably a little ADD, so now he’s kinda worried to be in the car, because he says “Man, I don’t know if I can help myself! It’s big, it’s red, it has a picture of flames on it, and I can’t push it? Seriously? The trunk button bang in the centre of the dash is enough!”

Before you ask why, understand that it was factory installed and I bought the car used. :-)

Now you’re more confused, aren’t you?

7. Cat says:

Good heavens! That’s enough, that’s enough! Hold it! Hey!
    So, is it any wonder my fingers are all in knots?

Typical symptoms.

Of what? Buttonitis!

You need a rest, Mrs. Jetson.
    Get away from all those buttons.

8. Gambrinus says:

Oh god, online ordering is already way too easy for the lazy. I would be very fat if I had this.

9. Cat says:

[Pushes button]

FISH!

10. DerangedHermit says:

Billions of people in public bathrooms will be confused when they press a button and do not receive bacon.

11. Kuri says:

But is the button powered by sprockets?

12. missy070203 says:

this puts Dominos online ordering system to shame…..

13. AllanG54 says:

So, is that like the Staples “that was EASY” button? And what the hell does that button do anyhow? But I’ll bet they sold a bunch of them.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

All it does is say “That was easy” in a tinny, low-quality digital sample. I worked at Staples Corporate when that campaign was popular.

14. MNTwinsFan says:

We did this in college… only it connected to campusfoods.com and placed an order online instead of bluetooth to your phone. We used Huffman encoding to specify topping variations… eventually we had to put a secret code to “arm” it because miscreants from other floors would come down and hit the button and we’d get stuck paying for the pizza.

15. FrugalFreak says:

Nope, still don’t want to go to Dubai and Americans should come home and pay taxes

16. Midnight Harley says:

Okay, people are getting even lazier. :X