Ticketmaster Gets Into Spirit Of Worst Company Tournament, Encourages Staffers To Vote

With a little more than six hours to go before voting closes on the second round Worst Company In America bout between Spirit Airlines and Ticketmaster, a source at Live Nation tells us that senior staff are encouraging employees to vote on the matchup.

The insider forwarded us an e-mail claiming to be from the office of the Ticketmaster CEO to staffers that includes this item:

#2 is a link [note: the link is to the voting page for the Spirit vs. Ticketmaster contest] I would like all 650 of you on this DL list to visit. This week’s match-up on the Consumerists is between TM and Spirit Airlines.Since they block too many votes from the same IP address, consider doing your voting from home or from your phone, iPad, etc. That would help some people who need to vote at work.

As many of you already know, Comcast tried to get its employees to vote for Charter in last year’s tournament. But unlike the Comcast attempt, which was posted as a directive on the home page of the company’s intranet and suggested that employees talk to people in IT to discuss getting around the IP-based roadblock, the Ticketmaster rallying cry is in the form of a friendly e-mail.

After all, we don’t want to discourage employees at any of the nominated companies from showing support for their employers (so long as it’s genuine). We do object to organized attempts at gaming the system just to make your company look less bad.

PS: Ticketmaster should really do its research if it thinks that 650 votes is enough to sway the poll, especially since it currently has around 80% of the vote.

Comments

1. conscious says:

Enjoy some spite votes, Ticketmaster… not that you need them.

2. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

glad i hadn’t voted yet on that. i have now

3. ihatephonecompanies says:

I think it’s great that ticketbastard head office wants to win this thing!

4. Elder Feller says:

Perhaps they think that vote totals from their employees will be as inflated as their ticket prices.

5. dorianh49 says:

Dude, how did my Ticketmaster vote become 2.5 votes?

6. Bionic Data Drop says:

Email translation:

“We’re an awful company and everyone knows it. Instead of using this feedback to see where we can improve as a company and not be in this tournament next year, lets try to rig the voting.”

7. HeatherLynn30 says:

Another vote here! Nice try, Ticketmaster.

8. Stickdude says:

Make sure you charge a $7.50 handling fee to any votes coming from a Ticketmaster IP address.

9. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Didn’t Consumerist already relate to Ticketbastard as the “Susan Lucci of the WCIA poll?” Eventually, Lucci won her Emmy. I’m guessing Ticketbastard is doing its best to assure it gets the Golden Poo it much deserves. They’ll wear it as a badge of honour. Hell, no doubt they’ll incorporate it into its logo once it gets its shiny Poo.

10. HogwartsProfessor says:

Oh I wish I could vote for Ticketbastard again. Maybe I’ll take my laptop for a little stroll tomorrow, around to several different coffee shops, the library, etc…

11. CubeRat says:

Team Spirit Building, Ya!

FYI, while implied that they want employees to vote for Spirit; there is nothing preventing all the Ticketmaster employees from voting FOR Ticketmaster.

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

That was my thought. They just said “vote” they didn’t say which way …

• RandomHookup says:

And it can get confusing. “You mean voting for my company is a bad thing?”

• BackInBlack says:

That’s what I was thinking! Those that voted privately off-company as they suggested (“from home or your iPhone”) may have decided to make like Darth Vader finally taking a swipe at the Emperor with the ol’ light saber (or Jedi finger sparks).

12. suez says:

Yep, I didn’t have a pony in this race…until now. Off to vote!

13. Hartwig says:

I would like to see a list of votes based on IP’s for Ticketmaster to see if their employees are voting for them as worst company in america.

14. waicool says:

“We do object to organized attempts at gaming the system just to make your company look less bad.”

Um, the whole system is gamed. ha ha. it is just too funny to watch this poll and anyone who takes it seriously. Let’s hope consumerist doesn’t really take itself too seriously and start believing the results mean anything other than who they have successfully smeared the most.

• Fight Back Against David Horowitz! says:

Has there been anything about these companies and their terrible business practices reported here that you could point to as a “smear” campaign? Any basis for suggesting that the reports were not truthful?

I think the smears have been self-inflicted by these companies. But keep on defending your corporate overlords!

• waicool says:

yeah, you’re right, i do not believe consumerist is “smearing” anybody and I appreciate the reporting and advocacy they provide. and i am not defending any company here, just pointing out the rhetorical nature of this tournament, the actual topic of the thread

15. custommadescare says:

I love the fact that I just voted for Ticketmaster because of this, and they are winning by a very healthy margin…

Way to garner that indecisive crowd that doesn’t fly Spirit and doesn’t go to Tickermaster hosted shows!

16. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Can’t both of them get a bye this round? At this rate, it looks like Spirit and Ticketbastard should meet in the final round.

17. cbutler says:

I think the consumers have the 140% this time.

18. ThinkingBrian says:

It really doesn’t surprise me at all that Ticketmaster is trying to sway the votes. Of course would be better for them to send out emails address problems within the company, instead of trying to sway votes, just a thought.

Also, Ticketmaster, you should have saved yourself the email all together and used some common sense, because even though you will win this round, you wouldn’t advice beyond the next round considering your going up against the king of worst companies…Bank of America, and I don’t see Bank of america losing that battle at least as of now. Keep it up and they might. Again, just a thought.

• Flabbergasterisk says:

That’s way too much work. What they actually should have done is “leak” an email encouraging Sprint employees to game the poll.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Are we absolutely certain that this email did not originate from Spirit Airlines?

19. Jawaka says:

I don’t see this as being wrong.

20. PortlandBeavers says:

It’s kind of funny that Ticketmaster uses IP blocking themselves and they mention thwarting it in their message.

21. Straspey says:

This just in –

Reports are coming in that all 650 employees actually agreed with the email sent vy Ticketmaster to encourage that they participate in the voting.

Unfortunately, when they tried to log on and cast their vote — all the lines were busy and they couldn’t get through before the voting was closed.

22. humphrmi says:

Dear Ticketmaster,

Be less of a douche and you won’t get so many votes.

- Your indentured customers

23. Sparkstalker says:

Maybe there should be a rule implemented that stipulates any company attempting to do this gets an automatic bye in to the next round, or any vote for that company now counts double…

24. baristabrawl says:

How are they not a monopoly? I haven’t bought a ticket from them in a really long time.

25. shufflemoomin says:

Interesting. He didn’t say that they should vote for Spirit. I wonder if any of their employees will vote for Ticketmaster?

26. caj111 says:

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Didn’t they learn from Comcast’s experience?

27. gman863 says:

Yet another reason why The Consumerist should consider revamping the comment section of this board into the 21st century.

I’ve noticed a few shills from Best Buy popping up. To confirm my suspicions, I clicked on the suspected users’ names and looked at their recent posts. Both appeared to be relatively new members (joining this Month) and both had posts exclusively amounting to beatdowns on anyone who posted negative experiences at Best Buy.

Although I know this may be impractical, it would be nice if Consumerist could impose a rule that someone must be a member of this site for at least 30 days before they are allowed to vote in the CIA. This would prevent the eventual possibility of a mega company such as Wilmar or Best Buy rallying enough employees to corrupt the voting at the last minute.

• gman863 says:

CIA = typo. should be WCIA

• gman863 says:

Wilmar = Walmart

(note to self – toss current keyboard w/ sticky keys)

• Latentius says:

I’m assuming I’m one of those people you’re referring to.

I don’t know about any others you’re referring to, but at least for me, I’ve been reading Consumerist for years, and even the comments frequently. I just never really wanted to bother creating an account, especially not since they split from the Gawker family and used a different login system. It’s only that in recent times that I finally got fed up enough with seeing the irrational hatred that I felt the need to speak up.

Also, fun fact: my screenname is actually a reference to the fact that I tend to be a lurker–reading, but rarely speaking up.

• Latentius says:

Also worth pointing out: while most of my comments are on Best Buy-related articles (because, after all, that’s where I think I have the most I can offer), there are some on others.

And “shill” is entirely inappropriate. I’m not paid or otherwise instructed by my employer to post/vote here. In fact, I imagine that I’d probably be scolded for doing so. I’m just sick of all the blind, mindless, irrational hatred for a company, and I think it’s only fair to have someone argue for the other side. Apparently, you object to fair and equal treatment of debates.

28. Hungry Dog says:

I can’t really be justified to vote against Ticketmaster since I have never used it but I also know enough to stay the hell away from their crappy service to begin with.

29. Press1forDialTone says:

Don’t say “meh meh blah blah….WalMart can/should do better”. They are so far beyond
    that its crazytown. They need government oversight. If the Consumer Financial Protection
    Bureau that Obama created would be allowed by our evil do nothing Congress to actually
    bite down on the consumer hell we live in and drive the Kool-Aid for every day, we might,
    just might see some companies who say one thing to us and do quite another, an
    egregious other; be bullied into owning their bigness and power and doing good for
    themselves -and- proportionately to their workers -and- customers. I’m not holding
    my breath but I have one thing I can do which everyone -everyone- has: the power
    to withhold from them my business. If we all weren’t such pussies, we would use this
    power and the need for sites like Consumerist might be less. You see what cowards
    they are when the light of the media shines on them. Let’s shine the biggest light
    next to the Sun on ‘em.

30. shadowboxer524 says:

I’ve only flown Spirit twice (DTW > LGA and back), but I had a pleasant experience both times. The flight attendants were very nice, and I had more than enough room. People seem to complain a lot about how cramped their planes are, which I prepared myself for, but they seemed to be actually more comfortable than some AA planes I’ve been on, and perhaps comparable to the Delta planes I’ve flown. It felt quite spacious, really, so it surprises me that people make that complaint. Maybe I just had a good plane?

Yes, they charge you for everything, but they do allow one “personal item” (this may be mandatory per FAA regulations. not sure). I brought a regular-size backpack and boarded just fine. I paid for a checked bag, and with that, my flight was around $220. Pretty good for me, and definitely cheaper than other airlines. If I have the opportunity, I’ll probably fly with them again.

31. kmw2 says:

I hope they’ve got good benefits at least, or that could backfire on them badly.

32. PhiTauBill says:

Unfortunately for TicketBastard, this tactic actually resulted in 650 more votes for them in the WCIA, since even their employees recognize how much they suck.

33. rushevents says:

And yet again I say… I HATE ticketmaster. Always have and always will.