There Are Enough Oranges For Your Morning Squeeze So Stop Stressing

Remember when fungicides from Brazil and other orange-producing countries was going around tainting loads of juice and everyone was freaking out like, “Argh, now where will I get my Vitamin C from?!?!?” ? Don’t worry, guys. The government says there won’t be a shortage of the beloved citrus. So calm down.

The Associated Press (via USA Today) says despite fears over cold weather in Florida and the aforementioned fear of tainting incidents, consumers won’t be seeing a price hike on orangey products at the grocery store. The government says the juice is safe to drink and weather is warming right up.

If you notice a higher price on your OJ, it’s not because of the tainting scare — prices were already rising for four of the last five years due to dwindling supplies of oranges and the costs associated with processing and transporting it to your local market.

The U.S. Agriculture Department said early this month that they think Florida’s orange production will be 5% higher than it was at the end of the previous growing season. Combine that with the Food and Drug Administration’s decision against recalling juice products should comfort most consumers, and prices are now dropping, slowly.

And if you’re still freaked out about taint, just drink some water and get your vitamin C elsewhere.

Spike in orange juice prices? It’s pulp fiction [USA Today]

Comments

1. Invader Zim says:

Orange you glad to hear this there maybe enough goodness to go around but it will cost ya!

2. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

taint

3. Cat says:

I haven’t freaked out about taint in years. But then I haven’t seen anything worth freaking out about in a long time.

4. George4478 says:

>>everyone was freaking out like, …

By ‘everyone’, you mean only the reporters writing that week’s Chicken Little story?

• ChuckECheese says:

The commodities speculators are freaking out with glee over another manufactured opportunity to make more money.

5. winstonthorne says:

There’s no reason to be scared of taint. That’s just silly!

• Cat says:

You haven’t been to the same internet sites as I have.

The horror, THE HORROR!

• The Porkchop Express says:

Taints can have a lot of bacteria on them if not properly taken care of.

Side note: I don’t remember the word (not that I can spell it) but, there is a word in spanish that means taint for the same reason taint means perinium.

6. maubs says:

Considering that most Citric Acid added to food products (including your OJ!) is extracted from black mold grown on corn sugars, I’ll stick to oranges, thanks. There are relatively few OJ brands that don’t have this added Citric Acid.

• Bativac says:

Indian River is the only OJ brand (I emailed four) who told me, flat out when I asked them in no uncertain terms, that the only thing in their juice is the freshly-squeezed juice of Florida oranges, and nothing else.

I emailed Indian River, Tropicana, Florida’s Natural, and Publix.

• Firethorn says:

I’d suggest that you stop worrying about it. A LOT of our food comes from sources that offend our modern squeamishness.

Citric acid from a mold is relatively benign. Consider food coloring from beetles(there are people in the world who eat the beetles straight!), cheese and yogurt is made with bacteria, bread w/yeast, there are foods that deliberately have maggots in them, etc…

A quick reading shows that the chemical seperation process for citric acid is a very pure process.

7. HomerSimpson says:

Not to worry…just to show they’re looking out for us, orange juice companies will shrink the package sizes just a wee bit more to reduce the chance of “taint” (imagined or not). And to show they’re being gracious, they won’t even raise the price!

8. noahproblem1 says:

Personally, I blame the Dukes for this…

(OK, maybe it’s their children or grandchildren at fault – that’s what I get for using a nearly 30-year-old movie reference…)

9. One-Eyed Jack says:
  10. Black Knight Rebel says:

Suddenly I need that baby Magmar orange doll for my kitchen.

11. M3wThr33 says:

Was expecting a Disney World post from the image…

12. Nidoking says:

Minute Maid has finally joined Tropicana in shrinking orange juice carton sizes from 64 to 59 oz. I buy Kroger brand now, which proudly proclaims “STILL 64 OZ” on the carton. Heck yeah I’m willing to pay a little more if necessary to have a full week’s supply of juice, and I don’t think they’re even charging more for it.