Pizza Hut Drivers Turn Into Super-Cops, Follow Robbers To Hideout

If you’re standing outside a restaurant and see three gun-toting people in masks flee the building, what is your immediate response? For a pair of Pizza Hut drivers in Georgia, it was time to tail the suspects before they could get away.

Around 9:30 p.m. last night, the two drivers were outside their place of work when a trio of masked robbers exited the Pizza Hut carrying cash stolen from the register and and employee’s pocketbook.

“[We] looked at each other and decided we were gonna chase them in our vehicles,” recalls one of the drivers.

So they hopped into one of their vehicles — we’re imagining that at least one of them slid across the hood — and tailed the bad guys, who had fled on foot, to a nearby house.

They also contacted the real police, who arrested one of the three suspects and charged him with armed robbery.

Says one driver, “My boss just came up with a new nickname for us: Starsky and Hutch.”

Let’s just hope Pizza Hut HQ doesn’t fire them for their actions.

Pizza delivery drivers help police catch robbery suspect [AJC.com]

Comments

1. Captain Spock says:

If the Pizza Hut in question is an Independently owned franchise, I dont think Pizza hut HQ can do jack squat… Indeed the employee who was robbed would be very grateful. Remember, they didn’t confront or actually try to detain the suspects, just followed them and called the police so the crime could be solved easily.

• FacebookAppMaker says:

It may be in violation of the “Appropriate HR/Training Support {PHI Endorsed and As Required by Franchise Contract)” section of the franchise agreement. HR Training would include what to do when the store is robbed.

• LorgSkyegon says:

If they violate the rules of the agreement, Yum can revoke the franchise

• MeowMaximus says:

Too bad they did not have guns so they could shoot them – three less scumbags in the world. These guys are heroes in my book.

2. Marlin says:

As long as all they did was follow at a distance and call the police then they should be fine.

3. Nidoking says:

I think the biggest criterion for deciding whether their actions were appropriate is whether they were on the clock at the time. If not, then they were independent citizens and their actions shouldn’t reflect on their jobs. If so, then they weren’t being paid to tail robbery suspects and are likely subject to disciplinary action. I assume the vehicles they used belonged to them.

4. SexCpotatoes says:

Uh, no, that’s not coming up with a new nickname. ‘Starsky & Hutch’ is applying old character names to people too young to remember anything but the remake/movie of the TV show.

• Chizzer says:

This is stupid.

They did not previously have the nickname. They now do. The nickname, as applied to them, is new.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Agreed. Nitpicking just to nitpick is not necessary.

• SexCpotatoes says:

Actually, nitpicking has a long and storied history amongst people, and was one of the only ways to remove the eggs from an infested person’s hair (aside from shaivng it all off) before the advent of chemical removers. Being an EGG-laying, venemous, semi-aquatic mammal with no opposable thumbs, I question where your sympathies lie. I do, however, commend your drive and determination in acquiring the ability to read and comment on this blog.

5. axhandler1 says:

“Three gun-toting people” and the police only managed to arrest one?

6. 2 Replies says:

*ahem* GUN-TOTING…
    Yet they decide to follow them.
    O_o

…ANNNDD this is why they’re delivering pizza.
    (Darwin works in mysterious ways.)

7. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

How long before they get fired?

8. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

A “nearby” house? Really? They robbed a business close to where they lived? No wonder our prisons are full of dumb criminals.

9. AllanG54 says:

Fact is, most criminals commit their crimes close to home. They know the neighborhood, they know they can get back to relative safety quickly and if you ask cops they’ll tell you crime from a bad neighborhood very rarely spills over into a better neighborhood even if it’s only a few blocks away.

10. morpheus4356 says:

I’d fire these two employees, simply because I wouldn’t want anyone stupid enough to do what they did working for me. Anyone who risks getting shot over a few thousand dollars, that doesn’t even belong to them is too stupid to be making pizzas. It’s be one thing if they had a hostage in tow, but a few thousand dollars is hardly worth getting shot over.

11. Major Tom Coming Home says:

Where I work, people other than myself are paid to provide security. If it was me, I would only have considered following at a safe distance if they had taken my wallet. If it’s only my employers property, I’ll tell the cops what I had seen and been done with it.

Now if I am off the clock and not at work and someone tries to rob me, that is the reason I legally carry a 9mm Ruger in my pocket. If someone not pointing a gun at me or holding a knife to my neck wants my wallet, I am giving them something else instead. If they do get my wallet, they are going to have to turn around to leave and that still falls under self defense.

12. missminimonster says:

One of them also probably leaned out of the car while it was moving and put the little Pizza Hut light on the roof like they do the siren light on an unmarked car.

They are lucky they didn’t get shot at, though.

13. Herman X says:

Yeah, but those two knucklehead drivers did NOT get my order to my house within 30 minutes, AND, the pizza was cold when they finally did arrive.

Hello, Pizza Hut corporate…