Make Your Own Chocolate Syrup

If you crave chocolate syrup as a dessert topping or ingredient to make chocolate milk, you don’t need to buy it from the store. It’s easy to make it on your own, and doesn’t take much time or effort.

Debt Free By Thirty tells you how it’s done, relaying a Better Homes and Gardens recipe. You need 1 1/4 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, salt, a teaspoon of vanilla, a dash of salt and a cup of water.

You whisk the sugar, cocoa and salt in a saucepan, then add the water and boil while stirring. Then you lower the heat and let it cook for a minute before taking it off the burner and adding vanilla. Store it in the fridge until it’s cool.

When you make your own syrup you have more control, adjusting the ingredients as needed to whatever level of chocolaty goodness you desire.

Not Buying It: Chocolate Syrup [Debt Free By Thirty]

Comments

1. Straspey says:

I make my own choco…

Oh — wait…

2. cameronl says:

I make my own sy… wait, no I don’t.

Fox’s U-bet for the win! Better than Hershey’s. The only syrup that can be used to make a proper Egg Cream.

• Bibliovore says:

But is it better than Hershey’s Special Dark syrup, which is much better than regular Hershey’s?

3. ChuckECheese says:

That’s an old recipe. It won’t taste very good unless you use dutch-process cocoa. Or add 1/4 tsp baking soda to the recipe, which will dutch it a bit.

And I doubt this is much cheaper than buying syrup from the store. Cocoa is pretty expensive these days.

4. mk says:

This is great. I stopped buying choco syrup because you can’t get any without hfcs and I never use it in a timely manner so I have a bottle that’s 10 years old. This way I can make as much as I want.

• Marlin says:

Nestle Quick does not use HFCS. And yes I can tell the differance.

• mk says:

They must have stopped since the last time I looked – admittedly a while ago. Really, my life is fine without chocolate syrup. But every once in a great while I want some. I should be able to buy single serving containers…or I could just make my own at home :)

• VashTS says:

Yeah, I avoided chocolate syrup because not one I could find without HFCS, or some type of cheat thickener. Someone mentioned Quick doesn’t. I never find the Quick in my local Pathmark in NYC. I have to look arond.

5. nocturnaljames says:

This isn’t even about saving money, it’s the only way to get good chocolate syrup. Syrup at stores is never made from those natural ingredients, and most often contains HFCS.

6. Hoss says:

Editor: Shouldn’t this be “Top Three Syrups You Can Make At Home”?

7. cosmotic says:

How much salt?

8. cyko79 says:

I just melt a tablespoon of butter and mix with a tablespoon of cream then add a few spoonfuls of chocolate milk mix to taste per serving. Best syrup ever.

9. Velifer says:

Phil, this isn’t LifeHacker.

10. lim says:
  11. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I have a recipe that uses butter and peanut butter too…yumm – when I get home I’ll post it in case anyone wants it. It’s one of the church lady recipes from my neighborhood.

12. jasonq says:

One thing that would help the process and texture along a bit is use superfine sugar (sold as baker’s sugar by C&H), or by running regular sugar in a food processor for a short bit.

13. Kate says:

I just sprinkle chocolate quick on the ice cream. It’s good that way – you don’t need to make syrup first.

14. bbf says:

“I am saying writing it here and now, I am not going to buy chocolate syrup anymore, because it seriously is just easier to make it.”

Yep, a blatant lie. Easier than buying the syrup off the shelf at the same time the author is in the supermarket to purchase the other ingredients? Yeah and it’s easier to clean up a pot with syrup residue than not having to clean anything up at all. What a bunch of BS.

15. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Here is the recipe I use – it was handed down to me by a dear lady who has since passed away. I make this whenever we have ice cream at work, and it’s nice to put in a little crock pot just to keep warm for sundaes.

2 cups sugar
    2 Tablespoons flour
    4 Tablespoons cocoa (I use a little more)
    4 Tablespoons butter
    1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
    2 Cups milk

Mix all ingredients well and bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.

Remove from heat. Add 4 tablespoons peanut butter (if desired)

16. BradenR says:

I have never found cocoa expensive. ?? Must be the co op where we shop. A really fast recipe, brown rice syrup, cocoa or chocolate chips, and espresso powder. (or instant coffee if that is all you have)

17. samandiriel says:

Can’t emphasis enough that one needs to use Dutch process cocoa to make syrup like this – the taste different is quite definite!

18. AndroidHumanoid says:

I followed this recipe but used stirred cinnamon powder in the chocolate before it started to boil (I didn’t have vanilla extract so I wanted to use something for flavoring). Came out delicious!