Drug Stores To Start Selling Male Fertility Kits For Home Testing

Any man who wants to become a father but doesn’t want to have to deal with going in for a doctor’s visit to check on his swimmers will now have an alternative to that experience, as drug stores will start selling an over-the-counter fertility kit next month.

WBZ-TV says SpermCheck will join its counterparts for females — which include ovulation predictors and other products to help women — and allow men to check their fertility comfortably at home. The station cites studies that say men sometimes tend to be reluctant to seek professional help when a couple is having trouble getting pregnant.

Of course, going to your doctor and submitting sperm for testing at a professional lab is going to result in a more thorough investigation into your fertility. And a low count doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to reproduce, say doctors.

SpermCheck is supposed to start appearing in drug store aisles at pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS in the next few weeks.

Drug Stores To Begin Selling At-Home Male Fertility Tests [WBZ-TV]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

“Honey, what are you doing in there?!?”

“I’m testing my fertility!”

“You did that last night!”

“I’m double checking! Leave me alone!”

2. Cat says:

Great. Now how about something men would rather have: a male contraceptive, please?

• missy070203 says:

condoms……….???

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I think he means as a pill.

Which would lead to lots of guys just lying and saying they are on the pill during one night stands.

• Taylor Rolyat says:

This is always going to hold back the movement to make such a drug. There’s no genuine fear on the guy’s side equivalent to that of a woman, is there?

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Well, unless the woman is trying to get pregnant to “trap” the guy. But that is a different type of scenario.

• Cat says:

This assumes that all men are willing to lie, and chance becoming “Baby Daddies” just for a few minutes of pleasure.

Wait, they’re men. Never mind.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

There’s always getting the “snip-snip” done.

• daveinva says:

I called that “college.”

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

For no other reason than it’s ridiculous to expect women to be the only ones to change their hormones/go through procedures/take shots/stick items up their nethers/foot the bill for contraception.

I’m sorry – but that is what it has felt like since I was 18. And I’m not alone.

When my sister and her husband lived overseas, he happily took male BC and they were so upset to find it didn’t exist here as she was unable to take hormonal BC herself. As I am also unable to take hormonal BC, and my partner does not want to get the snip (and I am certainly not going under the knife at the moment), so we would like another option that doesn’t require us to spend extensive time “preparing” every time we have sex. Sorry – but I like a little spontaneity.

• iblamehistory says:

Not all men would rather have that, just like not all women want birth control at all times. There’s this thing called “being married/in a relationship and wanting to have a child.” It does happen, sometimes people DO want children.

But I agree, I can’t imagine that there is no medication that can work similarly to female birth control to prevent men from being fertile when they choose not to be. Of course it wouldn’t, uh, stop a man from ovulating, but I can’t believe there’s nothing aside from a vasectomy or condoms.

I personally can’t take hormonal birth control due to family blood clotting issues, and to me, an non-hormonal IUD carries more risks than I’d like… not that I don’t think its generally safe, but I’m just overly cautious. We do know we want more children after the one I am currently pregnant with, although we want to give it a few years before going at it again, so after this kiddo is born we will stick to condoms and timing. We conceived this one through me tracking my ovulation so I knew what times I wasn’t fertile, as well.

3. missy070203 says:

so this only tests sperm counts???? seems like a waste to me since a majority of male infertility stems from low motility in sperm not the actual count…This would only help men with normal fertility predictive their most potent times and even then they are wasting “the good stuff” (haha sry makes me giggle) on the test.. hopefully it’s not too expensive as it wont give many answers to couples who are struggling to get pregnant-

sorry to say it boys but however uncomfortable it may be it’s probably still better to get tested by a doctor if you are having difficulties…

• The Porkchop Express says:

I don’t even need this, mine are almost the size of Chuck Norris’ sperm.

• iblamehistory says:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. In theory it’s awesome but if it only tests a part of the potential problem, it’s as good as assuming fertility issues are only a woman’s problem.

If it tested for the whole gamut of sperm issues, it would be great. My husband and I were trying for 7 months before I got pregnant, which I must note is not NEARLY as long as some couples try, so I consider us very lucky. I’m going on 4 months along now. We knew that I was most likely functioning properly due to ovulation prediction tests and monitoring, uh, secretions, as well as tracking my ovulation with basal body temperature. I knew I was ovulating regularly, at least. We started looking into costs of semen analysis shortly before we got that positive test. Luckily my husband is very comfortable with the whole thing–he was the one calling to inquire about tests.

I know a lot of people are of the mindset that “if you can’t afford fertility tests and treatments, you can’t afford a child.” I know plenty of families who are supporting themselves just fine and could support another child, but they are not in a position to spend a couple thousand dollars on some simple testing let alone treatments. We weren’t looking forward to dropping $200 on a semen analysis but we can take care of a kid.

4. BooCackles says:

I could just see it now: “Yeah baby, I took a SpermCheck today and it said I can’t get you pregnant…” One missed period later…. D’OH!!!!

5. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I wonder how much it will cost. After my vasectomy, my follow up sperm counts cost around $100 each and that was for a detailed semen-alysis.

• missy070203 says:

Walgreens.com already has it on sale for $39.99

• The Porkchop Express says:

the full check would indicate more than how many of them, not how well they work. so if you had two real go getters or a million lazy bastards may be the difference there.

Kind of like road work, there may be fifteen guys there but they aren’t doin’ squat.

• RandomHookup says:

“semen-alysis”

Now there’s a term I didn’t think I would be seeing today.

6. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Sweet! Now I can check to see when I need to tie a battery-powered sock around my nuts to make sure I never become a daddy.

7. teamplur says:

I’m pretty sure my count is good. What I want to know is HOW good. Am I in the top 10% of sperm producing males or just average? These are things I can put on my resume damnit?!?

8. Nobby says:

Come on. Give it a shot. It’s loads of fun.

9. dourdan says:

i read about somethign similar but it went for 100 dollars.

i hope this will got for less then 50. that would be nice considering all the expense of infertility