Before You Leave Town, Take Care Of Items On This Checklist

When it’s vacation time, it’s easy to lose track of necessities in the mad rush to get out the door. You’ll thank yourself later if you take some time to plan out your needs and take care of them before you leave.

The Rebel Chick provides a checklist to look over before you hit the road:

* Hit the ATM. It’s helpful to have some extra cash on hand to take care of incidentals. Take money with you can you’ll avoid having to pay ridiculous fees from other banks’ machines.

* Round up your chargers and keep them close at hand. Keep them in a carry-on bag so you can still use your cell phone and other gadgets if you’re separated from your luggage.

* Determine how you’ll entertain yourself. If your trip includes a bunch of downtime and you don’t do well with quiet meditation, you’ll need something to keep you occupied.

* Don’t forget your drugs. If you take prescription medication or are prone to common ailments that you treat with over-the-counter drugs, determine what you’ll need and put them somewhere you won’t forget them.

5 Things To Do Before a Weekend Getaway [The Rebel Chick]

Comments

1. snowtires says:

Seriously?

2. Cicadymn says:

“What do you do when you prepare to leave town?”

3. aloria says:

Wow.

What’s next, a checklist for bathroom hygiene?

“Always remember to floss. Using toilet paper after a sit-down session is a must.”

4. rpm773 says:

You know, It’s possible that not all freelance blogs are quite ready for the big time, ie having their material cross-posted on Consumerist.com.

5. longfeltwant says:

“Don’t forget your drugs.”

I think we can all agree on this.

• scoosdad says:

I read “If your trip includes a bunch of downtime and you don’t do well with quiet meditation” as ‘and you don’t do well with quiet medication’.

6. Tim says:

“How To Walk”

* Choose a foot, and lift it It’s hard to move your foot forward when it’s still on the ground, so lifting it is the first step toward moving it forward. Don’t forget to shift your weight to the other foot!

* Move the foot from the first step forward Don’t move it too far, but move it far enough so that you get a good distance.

* Put that foot down And shift your weight to that foot while you’re at it.

• Hi_Hello says:

actually walking is more complicated than that. It’s not really lifting your foot, shifting weight put foot in front and repeat.

It’s more of a control fall.

that’s why if you slip or something you crash down on the floor.

• kc2idf says:

Okay, I get that you feel the advice is a bit obvious, and it is. The problem is that when people screw up, it is because they’ve missed the obvious, and that, in turn is far easier if you are breaking from routine.

I had had the foresight, not only to get US cash, but also Canadian cash before leaving home. He had anticipated doing everything by credit card.

It was a long train trip. Long enough to overlap two meals. As such matters of food come into play. He bought his own lunch, because he had maybe $10 US on him and that did the job. Dinner, on the other hand . . .

When we got to dinner, he didn’t have enough cash. It didn’t matter anyway, because after this particular train crosses the border, Amtrak’s crew gets off, and a Via Rail crew gets on. They don’t take credit cards either, but they also don’t take US dollars. I paid for his dinner.

I had with me a laptop computer, a tetherable cell phone, a 2m ham radio and a scanner radio. I sat in business class because there are AC outlets at every seat (regular 120V 60Hz AC) and I hacked, chatted, listened to the conductor talk to the engineer and dispatcher, blogged, etc.

He had a laptop, but no connectivity. He sat in coach, so, no outlets. Needless to say, he was bored and found the best entertainment to be documenting how far the train was off schedule.

The sad part is that both of us had previously worked for a company that had us going to Europe and Asia quite frequently, so he should have known the drill.

• OSAM says:

“On one occasion, I was travelling with a colleague to Toronto. As we are both based in upstate New York, this entails a border crossing. We took a train to get there.”

Being based in upstate NY has nothing to do with having to cross a border into Canada; being in a country other than Canada does. Your sentence is broken. Maybe Phil should make a “Tips on writing sentences” post.

• kc2idf says:

You might have observed that the sentence was part of a larger structure called a “paragraph” which structure brings connected concepts together. Take in its proper context, (i.e. following the sentence about going to Toronto, which context you even quoted in context), the sentence about which you are whinging makes perfect sense.

If you’re going to be a grammar nazi, be right.

7. Emperor Norton I says:

Don’t put the dog on the roof of the car!

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Tie your dog to the rear bumper. Center preferably, so you can’t see them in the side mirrors.

• samonela says:

- “Do you know what the penalty is for animal cruelty is in this state?”

- “No, I don’t sir…”

- “Well……….it’s probably pretty stiff.”

• AtlantaCPA says:

Especially if you plan to run for the nomination for president one day.

8. mobiuschic42 says:

Don’t forget the drugs – seriously. After I once forgot my anti-crazy pills (for anxiety, mild mood disorder – not truly crazy:) I always tell myself: I can buy anything else that I forget, but I can’t buy my medicine.

9. DrPizza says:

“Go to the bathroom before we leave, because we’re not stopping to use the bathroom until the car needs more gas.”

• MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

That’s why I always run by 7-11 on the way out of town and buy everyone a Big Gulp – once the kids have drained them, they can refill them on the fly, turning the cup into a Big Whiz.

/Works well for the boys, but I can’t seem to get the girl to do this without making a mess, however.

• The Porkchop Express says:

they make a funnel thing that “ladies” can use to direct the stream much better. But then you a have a funnel with pee in it floating around the car.

• jeb says:

“Take your #2 before the bus leaves. The bathroom only allows a #1.”

10. kehills says:

“Take money with you can you’ll avoid having to pay ridiculous fees from other banks’ machines.”

Excellent proofreading here. Really shows the care and time and thought put in to finding an article to repost.

11. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

For entertainment, I recommend printed-out newpaper articles or crossword puzzles and a mini pencil – you can keep ‘em in your pocket and not have to carry anything else with you, not even a book. You can read them while standing in line at customs. Plus, you can use these things during takeoff and landing on a plane when everyone else with their Kindles is sitting there bored.

12. crispyduck13 says:

Don’t forget your drugs

Spot on my good chum. Do you people have any idea how hard it is to find a reputable dealer in an unfamiliar city? You’ve got to wait until at least Friday for a decent rave, before that you’re on your own.

13. Murph1908 says:

You know, this could have been a useful article. However, The Rebel Chick should be renamed Obvious Chick.

Get money? Consider how you’ll spend your time? Take your prescription drugs?

What the article needs are reminders of things to do WHILE you are bothering with these standard things. Like:

Email a friend or family member your itinerary, so if an emergency occurs, they’ll have an idea where to find you.

If you are travelling overseas (or maybe even within your own country), call your credit card issuers to let them know you’ll be making purchases in a region not typical for your history. This could help prevent your card being denied for potential fraud.

If you are travelling outside your home country. turn off roaming on your cell phone, as well as automatic data activities such as email checking. Turn these things back on only when you need to use the phone, knowing you’ll be incurring additional charges.

14. MichaelRyanSD says:

LOL Phil, you and Chris Chase must be drinking buddies. At first I stated getting really agitated with your dumb articles, but now I enjoy them for all the commentary we reader can produce out of them.

15. Rocket says:

Make sure your crazy landlord can’t sleep in your bed.

16. Jacob says:

Here is my list:
    * Make sure all gaget batteries are fully charged.
    * Make sure any library books are returned
    * Turn the heating down or air conditioner off.
    * Unplug power bricks, TVs, and other electrical leaches
    * Put a lamp or two near a front window on a timer module to have lights go on and off frequently.
    * Unplug (or turn down volume) on landline phones
    * Check all windows and doors, set deadbolts.
    * Pay bills.
    * Sent itinerary to a friend.
    * Put a hold on the mail
    * Arrange for someone to water plants, mow lawn (long trips) or shovel snow.
    * Make a list of all the cards in my wallet.

17. cynner says:

Always wipe from front to back!

18. Ilovegnomes says:

People should add to that, “Contact the post office and have them hold your mail,” and if you have a newspaper subscription, have them hold delivery of that as well. Nothing screams, “I’m on vacation, come break into my house,” more than overflowing mail and a driveway full of newspapers.

19. rockelscorcho says:

I’m finding this blog to a waste of time. Give me some interesting articles! Some gossip, some pizzazz or whatever! Sensationalism..that’s what we need!

20. MikeVx says:

I learned to do the checklist thing long ago. I have a checklist program on my ancient PalmVx, and when I’m planning a trip, I create a list for the trip and add things to it as they occur to me over time. I literally list every little thing, clothes, pills, razor, tooth care gear, batteries, cameras, adapters, and so on. It may seem silly to some, but when I’m bustling out of the house leaving for the trip, I don’t leave until the undone-item counter on the list hits zero. This has prevented all manner of problems over the last decade.

Never underestimate the value of the goodwill of your neighbors when your checklist includes notes like “Turn off the alarm clock”. Mine is a loud beast, and if I forget to turn it off, it buzzes for an hour while I’m not there.

21. MikeVx says:

OK, my first response evaporated, so if this duplicates one in my name, the software on this board is broken in a strange way.

I learned to to the checklist thing long ago, I have a checklist program on my PalmVx, and I create a list for each trip, adding things as they occur to me. I literally list every little thing, clothes, tooth care supplies, razor, batteries, power adapters, and so on. When I’m bustling out of the house, I don’t leave until the undone-item counter hits zero. This has save a lot of trouble over the last decade.

It may sound silly, but a checklist, of a far more detailed type than the article gives, is a very good idea for a trip.

22. Portlandia says:

Thanks for the daily Phil list! Not sure I could have headed into the weekend without my fill.