People Tweet Stupid Things To Companies

Sometimes Twitter can be an effective customer service tool; more often it’s not. But most of the time, tweets to brands are inane drivel like most of the rest of Twitter. Or they come full circle and are so stupid that they’re almost interesting.

The blog Dumb Tweets @ Brands catalogs the tweets that fall into that last category. It is strangely compelling.

A few examples:

nuggets.png

Would such a person carry an epi-pen filled with sweet and sour sauce in case someone slips them a nugget?

harley.png

Too long. Entirely too long.

frito.png

hostess.png

Dumb Tweets @ Brands [Tumblr]

FURTHER READING:
How “Social Media Customer Service” Is Often Either A Failure Or A Lie
Twitter Company Reps Who Talk Big But Can’t Actually Do Anything
Best Buy Manager Dismisses Best Buy Twitter Customer Service, Says “It Could Be Anybody”

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

So can the official parlance for people who say stupid things on twitter be ‘twits’?

2. castlecraver says:

the nuggets/tenders is obviously a joke.

3. eezy-peezy says:

I’m shocked (SHOCKED!!!!) to find there are people in this country saying dumb things. Next you will be showing me photos of sloppy – looking people who shop at Walmart.

4. failurate says:

Am I an idiot for being intrigued by the mint chocolate creme pie cookie idea?

5. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Well of COURSE Hostess didn’t respond, that tweet should have been directed to Little Debbie.

n00b.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Maybe trying to make competition with Little Debbie?

6. Real Cheese Flavor says:

Am I an idiot for thinking that a lot of these tweets aren’t actual stupid people but rather people trying to be funny/clever/wittyironic/etc.?

7. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

NEWS FLASH! Consumerist Bloggers Post Inane Articles About People’s Stupid Tweets

• PunditGuy says:

We have to go deeper.

Commenters make silly comments about Consumerist bloggers posting inane articles about stupid people’s tweets.

• Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Commenters reply to commenters who make silly comments about Consumerist bloggers posting inane articles about stupid people’s tweets.

…annnnd I’m spent.

8. Cat says:

People Tweet Stupid Things.

PERIOD.

9. JMH says:

Why do we pretend Twitter is some revolutionary thing that lets people express ideas they were never able to express before, rather than simply a different medium for the same stupid ideas people would’ve previously sent in a letter or an email?

• tinmanx says:

It’s not revolutionary, I was “tweeting” back in 2003 on my website from my Sprint Vision phone. I stopped doing it because I thought it was a stupid idea since my posts don’t make any sense due to the length. Who knew? Apparently not me.

• MMD says:

It may not be revolutionary, but there is a key difference: everyone can read it now, not just the person/company that receives the letter.

10. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

HEY!

The “Bring Back Crystal Pepsi” tweet isn’t stupid! D:

11. tape says:

a very large percentage of the tweets highlighted on that site are from people being intentionally stupid for laughs.

12. Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

Oh man, I expect my love tweets to Roku on there shortly. . .

13. jesusofcool says:

Am I the only one who feels like an Epi-Pen joke is not only not funny, but slightly offensive to people who actually seriously need one for a life-threatening allergy? (Full disclosure: I’m one of those). Not trying to not have a sense of humor but one of the issues with serious allergies is that people joke about them (and frankly, over use the words) so often that those of us with truly life-threatening allergies find that they aren’t taken as seriously as they should.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I follow you, but I think the snark pertains more to the obviousness that the person should not be allergic to nuggets because the main ingredient there is chicken (on the other hand, if you think about the ingredients of the breading… possibly). :)

And on another perspective, I was not too familiar with the term “epi-pens” (I don’t know anyone who had one back where I used to live — they used to just take allergy pills/syrups) until I saw them on TV shows. So for “epi-pens” going mainstream, it kind of helped me get educated about it.

• BStorm says:

If you really know people who would take such an absurd joke and turn it into a reason to ignore a very real medical condition, then I think the bigger problem is the people you know, not the jokes that other people tell.