Google Files Applications To Offer TV Service In Kansas City

Google has been using the Kansas City area as a place to test out its high-speed internet service and now it looks like the internet giant may be ready to try its hand at offering TV service to customers.

According to the Kansas City Star, the company’s Google Fiber subsidiary has filed documents with officials in Missouri and Kansas to operate a video service that could compete with cable companies.

“We’re still exploring what products will be available when we launch Google Fiber,” a Google rep coyly tells the paper about the applications.

So it’s time to play the speculation game. Google could go the traditional route and offer tiered packages of varying levels of programming. It could be setting up an on-demand service. And will there even be a set-top box or would you just need an internet-connected TV to access all the programming?

Google files applications to offer TV service in KC [Kansas City Star]

Thanks to Duane Dibley for the tip!

Comments

1. Cat says:

Duane Dibley? That can’t be right!

2. Marlin says:

How about any channel that is free comes with the internet and any other channels that charge fees esp really high amounts, looking at you ESPN, have them ala carte.

Bet those fees come down quick.

• rugman11 says:

If anybody’s going to try a la carte, it will be Google. I don’t think it will work, but I’m interested to see somebody try.

3. umbriago says:

Yeah Google’s getting ready to try all sorts of interesting things here.

Same reporter wrote an interesting story a couple weeks ago about the big trade-off between Google’s free services and what you give up when you use them. In short: he was willing. Not everyone will be.

4. dadelus says:

Still keeping my fingers crossed that they expand into the area surrounding KC. Cause I have no desire to move into KC proper.

• Runner says:

Would be awesome if they covered the Overland Park area for sure.

• kc-guy says:

For the unaware, Sprint’s headquarters are located in Overland Park, and Kansas City suburb.

I’m still bitter that Sprint had to slice itself to pieces when they bought Nextel, where AT&T’s Deathstar is rebuilt. But why hasn’t Sprint done this already?

I hear their cell phone reception is poor, even in the area around their headquarters. I wouldn’t know personally, as I didn’t use their service even when I worked for them. Perhaps that’s a little telling.

5. failurate says:

As if I needed another reason to move to Kansas City!

• failurate says:

Hmm… after looking at a few of their tourism and promotion sites… KC doesn’t look that bad, especially when compared to say, Milwaukee, St. Louis, or Indianapolis.

• IndyJaws says:

Easy there on the Indy crack. Awesome place to live!

• ReverendLoki says:

As a transplant from Indy to KC, gotta say I like visiting Indy, but happy living in KC. They are very similar (and I keep hearing rumors the similarities will increase shortly after March 7th, but that’s just rumors). About the same population metro (Indy has more in city limits, KC more in supporting communities). We didn’t get a brand new football stadium (in fact we the fans fought like hell to keep Arrowhead!), but it did get a huge makeover. A beautiful new Performing Arts Center, new soccer stadium, no Indy car races on our racetrack though. KC has the better art museum, Indy the better children’s museum. Zoos are becoming fairly similar from what I recall. Other than that, pretty comparable.

• Runner says:

Try living here for a while… this place sucks. Unless your idea of fun is going to the bar most nights. I’m glad I’m moving out of here soon.

6. and_another_thing says:

Let’s hope it’s Clear QAM or something else compatible with MythTV without extra monthly charges.

7. kwjayhawk says:

Please, please… So ready to dump Knology.

Western KCK has only one provider and even in some cases not even DSL, let alone Uverse. Can’t wait to see how they dig into Knology’s customer base.

8. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

A la carte cable with no DVR or cable box but rather an app that does the DVR’s job on your laptop. Please.

9. DrPizza says:

Oh please let there be a la carte. Please let there be a la carte. Please let there be a la carte.

Pretty please offer something that the other cable/satellite providers don’t want to compete against.