The FDA Wants To Make Sure Inhalable Caffeine Canisters Are Safe Before You Huff

We already make jokes about being so addicted to caffeine we need a constant IV drip in order to function, so now that a company is making an inhalable form of the beloved substance, the Food and Drug Administration is preparing to check into things just to make sure it’s safe for consumers to go huffing away at it.

The makers of the AeroShot debuted their lipstick-sized product last month in Massachusetts and New York, says the Associated Press. You put one end of the canister in your mouth and breathe in, and a fine powder of caffeine and B vitamins is released that dissolves quickly. The amount is about the same as a large cup of coffee.

FDA officials want to make sure it’s safe as a dietary supplement, something the AeroShot’s inventors says is a sure thing, as it doesn’t have taurine or other additives used to spike caffeine effectiveness in other drinks. They add that the product when used according to the label, delivers a “safe” amount of caffeine, and that consumers should not use it more than three times a day.

They also aren’t marketing the product to anyone younger than 18 — which, of course, doesn’t mean kids won’t want to try it, which is exactly what worries some of its critics.

The FDA is investigating after Sen. Charles Schumer of New York met with FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret Hamburg and she agreed to review the safety and legality of AeroShot.

“I am worried about how a product like this impacts kids and teens, who are particularly vulnerable to overusing a product that allows one to take hit after hit after hit, in rapid succession,” Schumer said. He is concerned that the canisters will be used as club drugs to keep kids going until the they drop, like Four Loko.

FDA to look into safety of caffeine inhalers [Associated Press]

Comments

1. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Didn’t come kid in England die recently from eating a spoonful of pure caffeine?

Kids are stupid. They’ll huff like 60 of these. At least with coffee you get all full and sloshy at around 3 cups, which self limits you a bit.

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Still of more significance that choosing a toothbrush or how to wash your hands.

3. Cat says:

Hey, Mary Beth. How you doin’?

We missed you.

4. TakingItSeriously is a Technopile says:

Caffeine pills of high concentration are available OTC. This is just a more expensive delivery mechanism

5. MutantMonkey says:

Is this any different than downing a 4+ 5 hour energies?

6. eturowski says:

I can’t wait to see what the TSA thinks about these, seeing as how the company is marketing them as a TSA-safe caffeine hit. Your typical TSA screener might think they resemble bullets.

7. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

There’s Charles Shumer again…I don’t know how we’d get by without him looking out for us.

• HSVhockey says:

Why won’t you think of the children???

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

I know…good ole Chuckie grandstanding and looking out for the kiddies. Like NY has nothing better to worry about…oh, they wouldn’t be able to tax it…hurry up Chuckie…make up a tax and then it will be okay.

8. MichaelRyanSD says:

Not really consumer related, but if you knew what we just went through Mary…

• Conformist138 says:

Ok, the “this isn’t a consumer issue” complaint has jumped the shark. More appropriate is “I do not consider myself a target consumer of this type of product, therefore I am uninterested and wish to blame the author for my boredom”

The FDA is going to consider a new product that may or may not be dangerous (caffeine can be a real ornery bitch, especially when it hits you all at once). If this isn’t a consumer issue, then I assume the blog will be shut down because consumer issues no longer exist.

9. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

So this is just a real life form of Jet from Fallout3? Careful, you’ll get addicted, then you have to find a doc in the wasteland to get unhooked.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Holy crap, I didn’t even think of that. I need to BUY ALL OF THEM!

*crippling Jet addiction*

• pop top says:

At least in New Vegas you can get the Followers to cure you, and they have outposts all over the place.

10. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I got a free sample of one. I tested how it worked it out without inhaling it, then shook it, then a bunch of the caffeine powder fell out. I never actually inhaled any of it. I swear! I didn’t inhale!

• missy070203 says:

“should not use it more than three times a day” Pfft!! I’d be hitting that like 3 times an hour! and maybe twitching on the floor or running laps in the hall outside my office?

11. drewsumer says:

Do the come with a Bane mask or are those extra?

12. Willow01 says:

I got a free sample of this, it wasn’t bad. Lemon flavored, and didn’t give me the buzz my energy drinks do.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

That would be because it carries the caffeine equivalent of one large cup of coffee. You’d probably need to use two or three at least to get your energy drink buzz…

• jenesaisrien says:

is a “coffee buzz” feeling to those reporting it maybe similar to “feeling halfway awake”? That’s what I thought it was anyway

13. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

“They also aren’t marketing the product to anyone younger than 18″

Yeah, like that’s going to work. The under 18 group will probably be the biggest purchaser of this stuff.

• Nick1693 says:

Caffeine pills are faster and easier (and taste better) than AeroShot. I see no problem with allowing AeroShot to continue what they’re doing.

14. StarKillerX says:

Inhaling “a fine powder of caffeine and B vitamins” into your lungs, what could possibly go wrong?

15. pop top says:

I never understood the need for stuff like this (or other energy things like those 5-hour shots or Monster). Why does anyone need that much caffeine all at once? That can’t be good for you. What do these things do that coffee doesn’t besides cost a lot and smell terrible?

I’m predicting that my generation and the next (kids from the 80s and 90s, are we the millennials or what now?) will have severe problems from caffeine abuse as we get older. I know a lot of people who drink Monster daily, sometimes multiple times a day. They are going to be fucked.

• Cat says:

Look at what caffeine has done to me.

• failurate says:

Pig valves will be the new pork bellies.

• jumpycore says:

I’d say about 80% of the Army runs on caffeine. Then 10% on JP8, and another 10% doesn’t work (probably more even)

In afghanistan I immediately have to pound a Rip It (energy soda) then when i get in the office i have to have either another one or a cup or two of coffee..and thats just so i can moving. It takes half an hour or more for caffeine to effectively alter your alertness and that is just way too long when you work 7 days a week and go to bed around 3am and wake up at 7 or 8 (hey, sure most of you might be able to do it, but i used to party when i was younger and can’t do it anymore). I’ll try anything that will help wake me up faster and get me out of bed in the morning….which leads me to a question, did someone say something about an IV drip?

16. jojo319 says:

Give it a few months. Some idiot will do about 30 of these things and O.D. Then some opportunistic congressman will call for a ban. Meanwhile dozens of kids will die of alcohol poisoning without the bat of an eye. Must be all that pesky tax revenue….

• theblackdog says:

Several kids will die of alcohol poisoning and a local news station will pick up on it, reporting about things like pre-gaming and which liquor stores don’t properly ID kids. Then the reporter and her family will get death threats and be told that “kids are going to drink anyway” or “well my little snowflake would never do such a thing (while they’re scrubbing vomit off the floor).”

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Let me correct that for you….several kids will abuse these AeroShots and then abuse alcohol…which they purchase illegally. Then Chuckie, along with his other grandstanding cronies, with push for a national ban of the AeroShots. Completely and utterly avoiding the alcohol part.

17. gedster314 says:

It’s not like people can’t get the same dosage through other legal means. If people stupid enough to OD on caffeine, then it’s just nature’s way of thinning the herd.

Can’t wait to hear that these things are the gateway to huffing.

18. Cat says:

If I could somehow hook these canisters up to my e-cigarette…

19. NumberSix says:

I don’t know why, but this just seems like a step too far. Seems to cross the line between enjoying a cup of coffee and it’s after effects and straight up drug use.

20. dg says:

Then let them smoke weed! There’s no LD50 on weed for humans because you pass out long before you get close to an overdose.

21. HogwartsProfessor says:

The danger is that employers will simply distribute these to workers and completely do away with the coffee break. How else are we to discuss our favorite trashy TV shows with our coworkers?