Report: Next iPads Will Run On 4G LTE Networks

The Apple iPad currently dominates the tablet market, even though none of the currently available versions give users access to 4G wireless networks. But according to a new report, that could all change when the latest iPads are unveiled next month.

The Wall Street Journal reports that at least the Verizon Wireless and AT&T versions of the new iPad will run on those companies’ 4G LTE networks. It’s not yet known if Sprint or T-Mobile iPad customers will get 4G access.

The report states that AT&T and VZW are hoping that a 4G LTE iPad, which sources tell the Journal will be announced in early March, will help draw new customers to the high-speed networks they’ve spent billions developing.

It will also be a big test to see how these LTE networks stand up to increased demand, as iPad users currently consumer anywhere from 4-8 times as much data as iPhone users.

At January’s Consumer Electronics Show, Verizon Wireless announced it was working with OnStar to bring 4G LTE access to vehicles so that people could plug in devices like iPads to turn their cars into moving entertainment centers.

Verizon, AT&T To Sell 4G iPad [WSJ.com]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Am I the only one who sees this as “Not a good thing”?

2. Platypi {Redacted} says:
  3. sir_eccles says:

I thought iPads ran on their owners smug sense of self satisfaction?

4. Zepius says:

watch battery life tank on those ipads and the sheep will revolt!

5. JohnDeere says:

I love my 4g xoom. i was really suprised i was able to update my smartphone to a dumbphone and lose my 3g without an early termination fee. then i just added the xoom. its practically the exact same cost, except i dont get my busineess discount on the xoom data plan like i did on my smartphone data plan. seperating my phone (new dumphone) and internet (xoom) was the best decision i ever made. my phone actually works like a phone now!!!!!!!

6. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah thanks but I’m not paying money to be part of anyone’s network testing.

7. dolemite says:

“New plans!! Get 1 GB of data for $55 a month, and $15 for every GB of data over that!”

• BurtReynolds says:

Exactly what I was going to say. “Great data plans available! $60 a month for 2GB, that you will burn through in less than a week if you ever stream video”.

8. Fast Eddie Eats Bagels says:

I still don’t get all the hype around the iPad. A cheap laptop can do just the same if not more. If you’re on the road and need internet connection just turn your smart phone into a hot spot or tether the connection. Why buy an iPad that does less than a laptop? I just don’t get it…. People gobble these up every time they come out with a little upgrade that should have been on the previous model.

Sorry…. Rant over

• Cat says:

Blasphemer! Seize the unrepentant non-believer!

• balderdashed says:

If you’ve never used an IPAD, you won’t get it. I own (and use) two laptop PCs, three Macs, an IPhone, and an IPAD. They all have their place, but for many things I do, the IPAD is quickest and best way to do it. The 140,000 IPad apps have a lot to do with that — for most of the apps I use, the solutions on the PC or Mac platforms don’t work nearly as intuitively and elegantly, even when they come from the same developer.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

It fits in my purse and I don’t need to open it up at TSA when flying like I would an ordinary laptop. Plus it’s got like an 8 hour battery life. That is a HUGE bonus in and of itself for many frequent travelers like myself.

I won mine in an office sales contest and when I got it I thought “Wow, I’d never spend $500 on this thing.” Now I’m certain that whenever this one kicks the bucket, I’ll buy another tablet, iPad or not.

The “just use a small laptop” argument just doesn’t seem like an apples to apples discussion. It’s still clunky, it still has half the battery life, it still doesn’t fit in my purse as neatly as a tablet, and you still have to open it up at the airport. That’s just my $0.02 of course. :)

• ToddMU03 says:

Yeah, I didn’t particularly want one, but parents bought us one for Christmas. Wife loves it for school. I love it for reading books and playing stupid games in waiting rooms.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

Yeah, it’s definitely an entertainment novelty. I love it for checking e-mail, surfing the web, reading books or watching NetFlix. It stays in the bedroom, the laptop’s down in the living room, and full desktop is in the office. Honestly like balderdashed said, every device fits a niche. For me, the iPad fits the “I don’t want to lug a laptop into bed and position it all cattywampus so I can watch NetFlix while I lie on my side” niche.

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

You literally just described how I use mine. Laptop all over the house (mainly in the LR) for general computer uses, and iPad primarily upstairs in the BR for pre-sleep reading/internetting/emailing or at the gym for movie watchin’. I know there’s a TON of anti-Apple/iPad hate on Consumerist, just as much as blind Apple love, but I’ve found the iPad to be almost indispensable now.

• ajaxd says:

A 3 year old can use iPad all day long and not ask for help once. Between my 2 kids the only time I get to touch iPad is when it’s time to charge it.

9. MeowMaximus says:

Another over-priced iToy no one needs.

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

Thank you for generalizing for everyone. I’m so glad you’re here to make decisions for the collective that is humanity. Please keep doing the good work you do, as you’re obviously far more knowledgable on everything than anyone else could ever hope to be. Kudos to you, good sir/madame. I applaud you.

/s

Dumbass troll is a dumbass.

10. ToddMU03 says:

I just tether my wife’s iPad 2 to my rooted Droid Razr on my unlimited data plan. It is great for school. Her textbooks were a lot cheaper and she doesn’t have to lug her laptop around campus to work on her online courses during breaks between classes.

• jeb says:

I thought about the lower textbook cost, but then I realized I couldn’t sell my textbooks back. When factoring that in, physical textbooks are cheaper.

11. Kate says:

So get a mifi device and run the ipad off of that. That’s what I do.

12. human_shield says:

I have 4G LTE. You aren’t missing much. I usually just wait for Wifi if I need to really look up anything.

13. u1itn0w2day says:

I hope they come up with apps that won’t trash or disconnect a wireless router like the Iphones are doing. Have to reset the router everytime someone uses the internet with their Iphone. Have an Iphone user living in the house and everytime they leave I get IP conflict messages.

Dedicated network should be the way to go.

• who? says:

The network configuration on the phone is wrong. Take it back to the store and tell them you’re getting IP conflicts. They should be able to fix it in about 30 seconds.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I shall try to convince the person to do that. My internet search pops up alot of Iphone app trouble with wireless as well. It’s like the Iphone becomes the primary user of the wifi. I even wind up getting alot of Apple/Iphone related ads/spam.

14. aleck says:

And a few months later, Verizon slaps caps and throttling on the users.

15. bethshanin says:

4G on a tablet! Another innovation by Apple that no-one has done before!

16. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

I would prefer to have it run on electricity, I can afford that.

17. NCB says:

Dear daughter in college just got an Asus Transformer as a laptop replacement for less than an iPad.With wifi every where and with a keyboard dock it rocks. It has all the bells & whistles such as HDMI out, USB port, miniSD slot etc. and a regular SD slot in the dock, And Flash! She loves it.