Dating Site Says Android Users Are More Likely To Give It Up On The First Date

Match.com did some very scientific research in Canada, polling singles living up there beyond our borders, and found that Android users are a lot more likely than other smartphone users to put out on the first date. Maybe don’t use that as your pick-up line, however, if you spot someone with an Android phone.

The Toronto Star says the survey was conducted by online polling and survey site Zoomerang, and used 1,068 single Canadians as its pool. They found that 62% of Android users said they’ve had sex on the first date, whereas 57% of iPhone users said the same, and only 48% of those with a BlackBerry.

Not only are Androiders more likely to go home with you on that first date, 55% said they’re likely to have one-night stands in general and be more active overall on dating website –72% of them have visited one, and only 58% of iPhoners and 50% of BlackBerryites have done the same. We are noticing a trend.

But if you want someone to woo you in the cubicles at work, 25% of single iPhone people have had an office romance in the last five years. They’re also going to call you after only one day after a date, whereas Android and BlackBerry owners will hold out for two or three dates before checking in.

BlackBerry finally wins something in this non-contest, as they’re going to be drinking on the first date — 72% of them, and 67% of them believe in love at first sight. Which, really, could be just called “beer goggles.”

iPhone, BlackBerry, Android: Who’s more likely to have sex on the first date? [Toronto Star]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Android Sluts!

2. IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

Well wait, is this men or women?

I don’t think I know any guy who wouldn’t put out on the first date.

If it’s women, seriously girls, you’re damaging your rep and your box.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

ಠ_ಠ

Good job slut shaming.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Oh, I totally missed this comment.

Yeah, it’s totally okay and expected for dudes to knock it out on the first date, but women? OH MY GOD THINK OF YOUR REP. My reputation is not based on the quickness with which I put out. If someone thinks less of me because of my sex life, chances are I don’t think much of them either. And my box is in fine shape.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Also, I’ve met a good number of men who don’t have sex on the first date.

They didn’t get second dates.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That’s almost as bad as complaining about people who DO have sex on the first date.

I get that you enjoy sex, but what makes a guy that waits until date #2 so atrocious that you must dump him?

• Rebecca K-S says:

I have never dated for relationships. The primary purpose of dating, for me, is sex, and if I happen to develop a relationship or friendship with the person, that’s a sweet bonus, but not the point. So if it’s not going that way, I’m generally not interested in continuing.

It’s worth noting, though, that my preference is pretty much always made clear before the first date even happens, so it’s pretty rare for me to even meet up with someone who has a different approach. I have no problem with people who want to wait to have sex. That’s a perfectly reasonable and healthy choice. It just doesn’t make them someone I want to date.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

A woman who makes her wants known so men don’t have to play the guessing game? UNPOSSIBLE!

Actually, good on you. You’re just the best kind of person.

• Nyxalinth says:

You’re ethical about it, which I like. I don’t find your approach so harsh: men have done that to us ladies for years. Besides, if any man isn’t wanting any on the first date, he isn’t attracted to you, and it isn’t worth pursuing things with a man who isn’t into you on any level.

I think guys who complain about this just don’t like a level playing field. It takes away control of the situation from them.

• Rebecca K-S says:

No, there really are men who don’t want to have sex on the first date.

• Coffee says:

I’m a guy who agrees with you.

I think it depends on why the date is happening in the first place. I’m not generally interested in quick sex with a girl if I think I might like her or if her life overlaps with mine…it’s just not how I’m wired. Well…”not interested” might be a poor choice of words…I’m interested, but I would rather figure out if I actually like a person before I get involved in a physical relationship with them.

That said, if it’s just a date for the sake of going out and hooking up with someone, not a problem.

• fightclubsandwich says:

*tents fingers* Excellent..

• Clyde Barrow says:

@Rebecca K-S; I bet you know your doctor by first name?

• IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

Sorry that’s my opinion, and as much as it sucks, your sexual reputation is based on your sexual tendencies.
        You enjoy sex and that’s fine. You know what you want and that’s fine.
        Most of my friends are guys and I can tell you how they talk, very graphically about sluts they are with and how it was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.
        There are different sides and thoughts to it all, but there’s a lot of girls who put out more out of pressure or thinking the guy actually likes them, but they really don’t. Not your situation you describe.
        I’m not saying one night stands are bad or sex on the first date is bad, but it is what it is and guys will think what they think regardless of anyone’s opinion on the matter.
        My personal view on sex on the first date is pretty much that I have to seriously like you, I’m not about love or necessarily a relationship. I enjoy sex but I found that with all the guys and girls that do have one night stands there is a lack in ability, almost a selfishness.
        I do better on my own.
        ^ This opinion has changed drastically from when I was in my teens or 20s ^

• Rebecca K-S says:

You should seriously consider hanging out with guys who aren’t assholes.

• Clyde Barrow says:

@Rebecca K-S; +1000

Oh how I’ve had this discussion with so many women.

• Ratty says:

No kidding. And understand that some women know what they want, and it isn’t wrong for their reputation or their “box” to actually seize it.

• pop top says:

Why is it OK for men to have sex on the first date but not women?

• IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

When did I ever say it was OK? I never said it was OK. I said I don’t think I know any guys who wouldn’t.

• Coffee says:

I generally wouldn’t if I’m actually interested in a relationship.

• pop top says:

But women who do it are sluts, but you didn’t insult the guys who take advantage of that fact.

• IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

I never once used the word slut. Yet it’s been thrown out around this topic in many other places. The truth, be it sad or not, is that if a guy knows that a girl will have sex on the first date, he is more likely to use her for that. You can call it what you want.

Please don’t take any of this to think that I am a prude by any means, hell I fall into that category and had sex with my husband on the first date and that lasted 8 years.

I don’t have a problem if that’s what you want to do, I don’t have a problem with anything, it’s your sex life. But if you’re out having sex with random dudes, expect to be treated differently by the opposite sex. I think we’re all old enough to understand there is a double standard, and that’s life. Complain about it all you want, but it’s been around before us, and it will be around long after. I will never use the word “slut” myself but I hear enough guy talk to know that’s what they call it.

I honestly meant no offense to anyone and actually think it’s pretty cool to see a different female side and male.

• IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

• Conformist138 says:

I think the problem with your comment is the idea that with dudes, it’s just normal, expected guy behavior. Instead of calling THEM sluts, too, it’s just the girls that get insulted.

As for the “hot dog down a hallway” bit, it isn’t actually true that normal sexual activity “stretches it out”. Guys who think that’s possible need to get over themselves: They aren’t that big. My “box” is made to push out 9lbs of knees and elbows, so nothing any man has to offer will damage it.

• Jules Noctambule says:

1. My now-husband didn’t put out on the first date.

2. Why in the hell do you think I asked him out in the first place?? I was disappointed, but he’s made up for it since.

PS: You should probably talk to a professional about your deeply internalized sexism and the way it damages your relationships with others.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Oh ITPrincess. You must not like me very much.

About 80% of all the guys I’ve slept with, I slept with on the first date.

Most of them were guys that I knew for months or even years before I finally agreed to go out with them. We went out once, I had sex with them because I trusted them, and decided I hated them and/or I didn’t want to purse the relationship.

Also: I did go a little “hog wild” after I ended things with the fuckhead ex, but in my defense I was drunk at the time and also quite interested in having a guy on top of me that I didn’t hate with every fiber of my being.

Also also: kegels. #thegreatest

• Clyde Barrow says:

________

Wow,,,that single para says it all.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

You’re new here, aren’t you?

Pleased to meet you. I’m JennyCupcakes. I have a horrible fear of abandonment, I’m fickle, and I’m not one to make excuses for my behaviour.

After being stuck in 2 longterm relationships in which both of my boyfriends were mentally (one was physically) abusive, I’ve sort of learned that I CAN pick and choose who I want to hold company with. If I date you, and I don’t like you, I am not going to waste either of our precious time trying to make it work. I usually know right off the bat if I’m going to get along with someone, or even have romantic feelings toward them.

That being said, love me or GTFO.

• IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

I’m really starting to think we should date.

• Runner says:

I dumped a girl one time… only because she was too worried what others thought of her. I thought she would be way too emotionally insecure later on, and I really didn’t want to deal with the whole “I don’t think you’re really at work putting in over time so I’m going to stalk you” mentality.

I told her she needs to find herself. About a year later she came up to me and said thanks. What I did was something no one else had done for her, and she was a much better person now because of it. Of course I was by then in a relationship with my now wife. But we remain friends still today.

• Coffee says:

It tells me that after engaging in a pattern of poor decision-making, she had the insight to recognize that she had a problem, then take steps to use that knowledge to make better decisions going forward. The fact that you don’t recognize that this is a positive thing says it all.

• IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

Oh love, I don’t dislike girls that do this. I don’t refer to them as sluts or personally think any less of them.
        Perhaps Consumerist has a different breed of females who do take care of themselves, but I know plenty that just give it up to anyone because it makes them feel important or cared about and that’s certainly not the case.
        I’ve also been with plenty of girls who don’t know what a kegel is.
        You also said it was people you trusted or knew, this really leads me to think you’re not out bar hopping every night gettin tore up. And if you did, that’s cool, just watch your box and be careful that guys will take notice.

* Initial post DID NOT come out completely as intended.

• Ratty says:

You need to meet better people and perhaps not paint everyone with the same dirty brush.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Younger Jenny used to think that sleeping with boys would get them to like her.

Nope. Nope, lil Jenny, you were WRONG.

• smo0 says:

You too? Hah.

I’m in the first “come” first serve club… however, I’m venturing into the 30s zone so I’ve calmed the hell down.

But DAMN IT WAS FUN.

Be safe kids – fuck who ya want.

3. DariusC says:

You say “give it up”, I say “get laid”.

4. Rebecca K-S says:

The one time someone called me after a date, I was totally taken aback. I didn’t realize that was a thing people still did.

• Straspey says:

Which speaks directly to de-socialization of the smartphone generation…people who are incapable of communicating amd interacting in a direct and straightforward manner.

“Hi Rebecca, this is Straspey — that’s right…Straspey…we had a date a few days ago, remember ? I just wanted to say that I had a really nice time and would like to see you again. Are you busy this weekend ? How about dinner and a movie?”

If you can’t handle that — OR — if the only way you can handle it is via text and email, then you really need to get out more often.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Actually, my point was that the deliberate follow-up communication was took me by surprise – not the fact that it was a phone call. That’s just not the kind of dating environment I tend to operate in.

But thanks for judging me as some sort of undeveloped asocial hermit anyway. ‘Cause that was totally justified.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You really take a lot of things very personally, don’t you?

• Rebecca K-S says:

Sure, when someone says something absurdly judgy to me, I do. I don’t think that’s exactly unusual. Straspey’s comment was bitchy.

• Straspey says:

My apology and explanation appears above.

While I think my point was valid, I agree with Rebecca that I could have expressed it differently.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

You both handled this situation with great tact and class, and I want to give props where props are due!

Yay for being adults! :)

An internet misunderstanding resolved with up-front apologies and attempts at clarification? What is the world coming to?!

• Coffee says:

Not to put words into his mouth, but I think it’s possible that Straspey and you just have completely different definitions of what a date is. I only say this because what you’re describing sounds more to me like a rendezvous for sex than what I think of as a “date”. If I hook up with this awesome chick and we end up having sex, then never call each other again, I never think of that as someone I dated.

Having said that, could you see why he thinks it’s odd that you were put off by receiving a communication from someone you say you dated?

• Rebecca K-S says:

I do actually leave the house and engage in non-sex activities when I go on a date. Sex may be the point, but it doesn’t work if I don’t like spending time with the person.

• Straspey says:

Sorry Rebecca -

Even as I pushed the “submit” button I thought that I did not do a good job of expressing my thoughts and it came out as a personal jab against you.

Speaking for myself – I have a pet peeve regarding – what seems to me to be – the general movement away from personal interaction as more and more people come to rely on their thumbs to do their talking.

In fact, I was talking to a 20-something woman not long ago who told me that, as a matter of course, she never answers any incoming voice calls to her cell phone – only texts and emails. When I asked her what would happen if I called her, she just shrugged.

I used your name in my hypothetical discussion, which was obviously a bad idea because it certainly looks like I was judging you and I didn’t mean to do that – so please accept my apology.

I know your posts here and, actually you are one of the people who I hold in high regard in this forum. I could have done a better job making my point and I’m sorry.

Also – FWIW – Before the days of texts and cell phones, most people operated on what was known as the “Two-Day Rule” — If you had a date with somebody and it went well, and you really liked them and wanted to see them again — you had to wait at least two days before calling the person because you didn’t want to seem too desperate or creepy.

• Rebecca K-S says:

It’s all good. I’m certainly with you in being boggled by people who own phones but refuse to answer calls. I just find text and e-mail to be easier for me to work into my life, and honestly, I think the phone is the most awkward way to communicate.

Sorry we misunderstood each other.

• remusrm says:

you nailed it

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I didn’t realize people didn’t still do that. I haven’t dated in a very long time but a phone call two days later always seemed like a pretty firm requirement.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Not that I’m the hippest person to dating (I am a serial monogamist), usually if I want a second date with a guy, I ask him right away on the same date if he wanted to get together again.

Current bf immediately asked me out after we said our goodbyes and kissed on our first date. A few other guys I wasn’t interested in did the same thing, but instead of saying “Hey I’m free on [day]“, I said “I’ll have to let you know.”

Then ignore them. #fordays

I’m with you though; phone calls are weird. Texts, emails, Google Chat… those are tops.

• Clyde Barrow says:

@JnnCpcks r GTF; phone calls and saying something to a person’s face shows character and strength. Doing so in text and e-mails shows a lack thereof and confirms to me ( a man) that I would not want to date a woman long-term who cannot be honest to my face. So if a woman blows me off using text or an e-mail, she’s a loser and not worth my effort anyway.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

That’s the message I’m trying to convey.

Don’t contact me., I will not respond. I am not interested.

• Coffee says:

That, and she’s probably filling out paperwork to keep you at least 1,000 yards away from her.

5. Minj says:

Pure troll bait.

6. tbax929 says:

As a faithful Android phone and tablet user, I can absolutely attest to the truthiness (TM Stephen Colbert) of this assertion.

7. Liam Kinkaid says:

“The Toronto Star says the survey was conducted by online polling and survey site Zoomerang”

Boomerang-Toomerang-Zoomerang!

8. Bluth_Cornballer says:

“I see you’re using an Android. Do you wanna crash at my place or yours?”

9. sirwired says:

Huh. I guess I’m more of a fuddy-duddy than I thought. Having sex after the first date is not something that would have ever crossed my mind when I was single. I realize it’s pretty common, but 50%? Wow.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Well, it doesn’t sound like it was exactly a random sample.

• Cat says:

Android girls are easy.

Not that that’s a bad thing.

• neilb says:

Exactly, we are missing the real story here…it isn’t the small variability of phone choice, it is the fact that those who are dating are extremely loose with their intimate lives. 62% to 48% have sex on their first date…who cares about that difference? The fact that it is over 20% (as a pure guess) is what I find astounding!
      New headline: Over half of Canadian daters who have ANY smart phone have reported having sex on their first date.
      Without a gender split, however, this is meaningless. Males have a well-documented over-reporting bias and women have the opposite.

• RandomHookup says:

Context is missing. Was the question:

* Do you regularly/often have sex on the first date?

OR

* Have you ever had sex on the first date?

Absent that, I don’t know enough about their sex lives to comment, though I should state for the record that I am pro-Android.

• tbax929 says:

In the age of internet dating, by the time you go on the first date, you’ve already spent days, weeks, and sometimes even months chatting via e-mail, text, phone, etc. When I finally get around to meeting IRL with someone I’ve correspnded with for that long, I’ve already decided I like her. If she ends up being the real deal in person, I see nothing wrong with being intimate on that first date.

• Clyde Barrow says:

@tbax929; So you actually believe what people write you? lol. You should always second-guess what you’re reading and assume it’s a lie until you get to know them. I can’t tell you the profiles and messsages that I have read from women who blatantly pat themselves with “funny, secure, professional, blah blah blah” BS only to find that face-to-face, they’re a compeltely different creature. People lie easliy when they’re writing you or posting a profile but when in person, it’s not easy and their true colors show quickly.

• Kate says:

You are kinda naive, aren’t you? You think that only meeting someone in real life is going to reveal any lies?

10. Rachacha says:

Could it be because Android users misunderstand the meaning of “open source”?

11. areaman says:

I think it depends on the area where they do the survey.

I’m here in the Silicon Valley and I think 62% of Android users and 57% of iPhone users could not even get a first date.

12. Hi_Hello says:

out of the 62% percent, which of them actually had sex?

• Clyde Barrow says:

After many dates last summer with women from Match.com, my first question is what kind of women/men are we discussing? From what backgrounds of life? I’ve met some women that you could not pay me enough to get naked with. I don’t where they came from but they’re not from this planet.
      Many guys will tell me that they met this hot chic on-line only to have seen her picture and I ran screaming into a fire. I guess we all have our own taste.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Wow – and you had the gall to comment on what *I* had to say? You’re just as bad, if not worse! At least I go for personality over looks, any day.

And FTR I am not a hideous chud. Many people here have seen me and can vouch that I’m pretty fuckin’ sexy.

13. umbriago says:

I think Android users skew older than cool trendy Apple types, and when you get to be over thirty, you pretty much have to put out….you know?

• justhypatia says:

Doubt it. If anything the BB group are probably the oldest, as most BBs used are probably company phones. Maybe old fogeys are just old fashioned?

• khooray says:

Wrong. I’m seeing more young people going to Android because the Apple thing has become mainstream.
      So now you see men & women in their 40′s-60′s using iPhones since they’re so hyped up now and data plans are forced on everyone.
      They pick Apple because they’ve heard about them by seeing a million commercials and articles about them.

14. katarzyna says:

We Android users have needs, I tell you, neeeeeeeeeds.

15. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“I’m not bad, I’m just programmed that way.”

#AndroidJessicaRabbitApp

16. mikedt says:

It’s the low self esteem of Android users.

17. Bodger says:

Self-reporting in surveys is notoriously bad statistical practice and I wouldn’t trust any numbers derived solely by this method.

Ooops, Gotta run. My Nexus S just buzzed to remind me that it is time for my fourth screw of the morning. I’ve really gotta’ ease off this schedule a bit…

18. HomerSimpson says:

Brings new meaning to Droid Incredible!

19. madfrog says:

That picture looks like the girl is laying in bed with the guy, back then that was risque. Wait, is that guy Liberace?

20. Jules Noctambule says:

Maybe that’s because we aren’t spending that date fiddling around with the shiniest, hipsterest new app every fifteen seconds.

;)

21. sgtyukon says:

Having sex on a first date with a smart phone user? Isn’t there an app for that?

22. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I only had sex on my first date two times. The first time I woke up a bathtub full of ice missing my liver. The second time, I woke up to find my date gone and “welcome to the world of AIDS” written in lipstick on the mirror.

• Clyde Barrow says:

______________

That is so 1980s,,,,,

23. SharkD says:

n-n-n-nnnneeeeeeeeEERRRRRRDDDDDSSssssssss!

24. Ed says:

Duh. Android users have lower standards. Just look at the phone they are using!