How To Save While Throwing A Super Bowl Party

If your social circle converges on your house to watch the best commercials of the year and the obligatory football that plays out in between, the burden to host a Super Bowl party can ravage your budget like University of Arizona product Rob Gronkowski does hapless secondaries. But you can cut corners here and there to trim costs without letting your frugality show.

The Street suggests sticking with mainly self-prepared snacks with cheap ingredients, including fresh-cut veggies with ranch dip, potato skins and chicken wings.

As for drinks, the post suggests buying cheap beer and soda in bulk, and hitting up the dollar store for any disposable utensils and dishes you might need.

With any luck, your cheap, self-made party will distract your guests from the inevitably disappointing commercials and sure-to-bore game.

Throw a Super Bowl Party for $100 or Less [The Street]

Comments

1. Beefsteak says:

Sure to bore game….really?… like the last time these two teams met and we probably saw one of the greatest Super Bowls ever…..Phil’s not a football fan is he.

• ChuckECheese says:

… probably he likes soccer.

• Darrone says:

the 2000’s was the decade of the superbowl. Steelers/Cards, Pats/Rams, Pats/Panthers, Pats/Giants Packers/Steelers, Saints/Colts were all exceptional. Phil probably prefers his athletes to take blatant dives 5 feet from away from the nearest defender.

• RavenWarrior says:

To be fair, New England wouldn’t even be in this game if Baltimore hadn’t choked. It’s really a matchup of a team i currently hate against a team i couldn’t give a rats’ behind about. I’ll enjoy it with my friends rooting for Mr. Perfect Tom Brady to fall flat on his rear end and laugh mine off at the good commercials.

2. SpamFighterLoy says:

How to save on a party? What the hell is this, a mom blog?

3. The Lone Gunman says:

I don’t follow sports, no interest.

Therefore don’t watch any of the games.

Throw no parties as a result.

Savings: 100%

• Buckus says:

Your math is off. Your savings is undefined; because you’re dividing by zero, because you expected to spend nothing anyways.

But otherwise, yeah, I don’t think I’m throwing a party this year.

• PunditGuy says:

I’ve thrown counter-programming parties. One year was Branagh’s “Hamlet” — all 4 hours of it — with brats, chili, wings and beer.

• Cat says:

Brats, chili, wings? I would have done a Renaissance menu.

Boiled peacock and lark’s tongues in aspic FTW!

• Slatts says:

“The sign said, ‘Breakfast Served Any Time’, so I said, ‘Great, I’ll have French toast during the Renaissance’ “.

- Steven Write

• scoosdad says:

Is the Puppy Bowl going to be on Animal Planet again this year?

(Admitting that was a funny idea the first time, but not the second, IIIrd, IVth, Vth, etc. If there’s one thing those reality TV channels all know how to do, it’s to run an idea firmly into the ground until you’re sick of it.)

4. George4478 says:

We have at least one football party every year and it’s always BYOB. My friends have some eclectic* tastes in their football-watching booze of choice, so they take care of themselves. I provide plenty of food, a cooler, and ice.

*They love to drink good single malt Scotch while watching the game as long as it’s MY good single malt. Bastards.

5. ExtraCelestial says:

I’m a sports and especially Manning fan (both actually) so I’m excited about the game, but the thing I most look forward to is trying out new recipes on my BF’s unsuspecting scavenger friends. After sneaking veggies and tofu into last year’s chilli dip (everyone liked it until I told them!) I am redeeming myself with a recipe I found for Bourbon Bacon Caramel Pecan Bars. It will probably end up being fake bacon, but this year I just won’t spill my secret

6. Nic715 says:

I know some people on here are positively anti-Aldi…but that’s my go-to store anytime I’m throwing a party or attending one…or baking anything that needs 4 or more ingredients. Dressings and dips there are around a buck, cheese is under $3, they’ve got “fancy” crackers and chips for under $2, cans of nuts for $3, bags of baby carrots/stalks of celery/avocados are .89, broccoli is $1 a bunch…and they have tons of frozen appetizers for a lot less than they are in the other grocery stores…and you can’t taste any difference. Also…bags of shrimp for $5, compared to $9 at Wegmans. I’ve never had any complaints, even my brandoholic friends never know the difference…once everything’s out of the package and onto the serving plates you can’t tell anyway. The only thing I “splurge” on for parties is soda…I don’t drink it but I know a lot of people that do are very brand-loyal and around the super bowl, it’s always on sale everywhere anyway. Also…locally, Rite Aid and a few other drug stores always seem to have the BEST prices on beer year round.

• crispyduck13 says:

Aldi is the shit, I went there for fruit when I was catering my own wedding. They had the best deals in town and the quality was great.

7. ansjc09 says:

Don’t buy the special football shaped plates, napkins, etc. Shop at other times of the year for the classy red Solo cups and paper plates, when stores are more likely to put it on sale and also scope out ads/ coupon websites for coupons for cups and plates and sales in different stores. I’ve also gotten lucky on finding coupons by going directly to the manufacturer’s website. But in general, common sense works on keeping a party cheap.

8. rmorin says:

Chicken wings? Those have not been cheap for what you are buying (even if you make your own) in years. There in fact have been many articles on this very blog about how expensive they have gotten.

I love buffalo wings, but they are no longer the super cheap eat they once were.

9. Lotronex says:

Want to point out that if you are hosting a Super Bowl party, and experiencing any type of TV issues, call about it now, don’t wait til Saturday. I work for a cable company, any sort of big event we have to deal w/ people calling in the day of complaining for the first time about a problem they’ve had for days/weeks/months, and demanding a tech out in 15 minutes. Its not going to happen, so think ahead.

10. tbax929 says:

Phil, you are showing your U of A bias. As an alum, I whole-heartedly approve!