Taco Bell Finally Realizes That Everyone Loves A Burrito In The Morning And Debuts Breakfast Menu

Even at fancy shmancy brunch places with delicate parchment menus, the breakfasting masses love them a tasty breakfast burrito. It seems Taco Bell has finally put two and two together, as they’ve debuted a breakfast menu with fast-food Mexican breakfast items to go.

The New York Daily News says you’ll be able to chow down in the a.m. at Taco Bell with the aforementioned burritos, filled with eggs and sausage, bacon or steak, as well as egg wraps, hash browns, coffee and orange juice. There will be 11 entrees on the morning menu, ranging from 99 cents to $2.79.

“It’s everything people love in breakfast, but done in a Taco Bell way,” said Brian Niccol, the chain’s chief marketing and innovation officer.

See? They get it — cheap food in the morning wrapped in a tortilla and paired with traditional breakfast beverages! They’ve taken their sweet time with this plan, as they were testing Jimmy Dean sausage breakfast items in 2009, and tried out breakfast menus in a few locations all the way back in 2007, as Consumerist reported then.

Unfortunately, the new menu will only be in a limited number of states until going nationwide in 2014 including: California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada. A few locations in Texas, Ohio and Oklahoma will also serve up breakfast, so keep your eyes peeled.

This breakfast epiphany follows close on the heels of the news that Taco Bell is also trying out a more upscale, healthy Chipotle-like menu called Cantina Bell to see if they can nab a corner of that market as well.

Taco Bell debuts new breakfast menu [New York Daily News]

Comments

1. dwtomek says:

I am surprised Montana made the cut on this. I shall thank them by trying this stuff out.

• DariusC says:

Seriously? No joke, I said the exact same thing before I even got to read your comment. That’s incredibly cool and disgustingly creepy.

2. BrownLeopard says:

Oh God yes. Those dang beefy crunch burritos are my crack as it is, and now I can get more heart attack inducing goodness for breakfast!!

No, really. I love those stupid things.

3. Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

This article was such a tease. I really want a Taco Bell breakfast now, but I have to wait 2 years. Boooooooo

• elangomatt says:

My thoughts exactly! Of course, I probably wouldn’t go much anyway for TB breakfast. I usually make it to work just barely on time anyway, so I’d have to make a special effort to leave earlier if I want to get some Taco Bell for breakfast.

4. DariusC says:

Wow, I’m pretty surprised they included Montana. We hardly ever get anything up here! It’s like 10 years behind the rest of the country, so being ahead when it comes to Taco Bell breakfast is quite an honor. *Tears up*

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Montana would qualify as what the fast food industry would call a test market. Like Patton Oswalt pointed out on his last album, you don’t want eye boils to break out on a celebrity when they try the newest creations from the Fast Food Skunkworks.

5. john says:

In the Kansas City area, the Bell has breakfast burritos way back in late 80s or early 90s. I worked on a construction crew while in college and we would stop in the morning for that tasty goodness. They had the best breakfast burritos in the fast food business back then.

• Dragon Tiger says:

They had breakfast around that time in Maryland, as well. I always stopped in on my way to work for two breakfast burritos and a large Mountain Dew. (Gimme a break, I was in my 20s then).

• baristabrawl says:

When I was 20 I was a manager at Taco Bell and we had breakfast. Their gravy was really good. I used to have Gravy, sausage and eggs for breakfast all the time.

6. ret3 says:

Wow, a Mexican(ish) restaurant that sells breakfast tacos. How unusual.

7. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I love breakfast burritos. TACO BELL GIVE ME BURRITOS.

8. lettucefactory says:

Damn. I can resist their lunch/dinner/fourthmeal options, no problem, but I’m putty in the hands of a fast and cheap breakfast burrito. Well-played, amigos.

9. theblackdog says:

Is it just me, or does Taco Bell try this every few years but it seems to go nowhere? I remember visiting one for breakfast a few times in Arizona in the mid-90’s, but then they took it away.

• yellowdog says:

It’s not just you. They offered breakfast burritos in the Denver market way back in the early 90’s, and since I was considerably younger and in possession of a faster metabolism, I was all over that. I seem to recall they had a select number of choices, like the “Fiesta” breakfast burrito, etc.

• ChuckECheese says:

They had tater tots in them!

• jeb says:

They still have something similar at Taco John’s. Meat and potato breakfast burrito, which is actually better because they use their potato ole’s. They’re like tater tots, but with a seasoning that makes them extra delicious (and slightly addicting.)

10. MutantMonkey says:

In other news, the Beefy Crunch Burrito is back in all it’s awesome glory.

11. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Does that mean all Taco Bell food will now be comprised of a ….*gasp!*… FIFTH ingredient? Freeze-dried, deep-friend egg product?!

12. doctorc4 says:

In Los Angeles, Taco Bell Breakfast was a staple in the 90’s. Then they took it away. Very sad. If they really wanted to grab that market, they should just open for breakfast with their regular menu. No need to change everything, just expand your hours to the mornings :-D

13. ram0029 says:

We have had the breakfast menu here for over a year. They opened with the breakfast only items at….9:00 am. The food was okay the one time I made a special trip to try it, but otherwise by 9:00 am at work. I figured this would die on the vine unless they changed there hours to accomodate the mmorning rush that happens say… 2 or 3 hours earlier.

• halcyoncmdr says:

Yeah the Taco Bell locations here in Tucson have been open for breakfast for like a year. I thought it was nationwide already given how long it has been. :-P

The opened originally at 9AM but after a month or so changed their hours. They now open at 7AM, and are almost always packed in the mornings when I drive by.

14. kalaratri says:

While I think everything else from Taco Bell is foul, I’d be willing to give a breakfast burrito a try, if it were in my area.

15. YouDidWhatNow? says:

About time. It makes no sense at all to let a restaurant sit idle during breakfast hours, generating no income. All the other fast food places figured this out like 30 years ago…welcome to the 80s, Taco Bell.

• Nidoking says:

Wendy’s recently tried to spin up a breakfast menu, and it was one of the few fast-food breakfasts I actually liked. Shame it didn’t last.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Some rare Wendys still have breakfast. The one by me doesn’t, but the one I used to live near does. Pretty tasty!

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

I always figured they just shifted hours to be able to stay up until 4am

16. Cat says:

I make my own breakfast burritos at home.

A whole bunch of them at once, and then I freeze them for later.

17. AstroWorn2010 says:

Will this increase Poo related vandalism from the yesterday’s post?

18. carlosdelvaca says:

I lived in New Mexico back in 1993-94, and Taco Bell had breakfast burritos then. They were cheap and good (though probably not the healthiest thing in the world). If they went off the menu sometime between now and then, that’s news to me.

When I moved back east, I went into a Taco Bell in Virginia at 10 AM and asked if they had breakfast, and they looked at me as if I was insane.

• balthisar says:

Different regions are weird. When I lived in Texas, the first time I tried to order chocolate ice cream at a Dairy Queen, they thought I was as weird. I wonder if Texas Dairy queens still don’t have chocolate.

• Tegan says:

The DQ down the street from us outside of Atlanta doesn’t have chocolate! I didn’t know any of them have chocolate!

19. anime_runs_my_life says:

You mean re-debut. Taco Bell had breakfast before, but it wasn’t as popular as McDonalds or Burger King.

20. TinaBringMeTheAx says:

Oh, how I wish half the Starbucks in NYC were instead Taco Bells!

There is no Taco Bell within two miles of either my home or office, whereas there are five Starbucks between by apartment on the Upper West Side and the various nearby train stations, and two by my office in Downtown Brooklyn.

21. dolemite says:

I do love me some breakfast burritos. And this is on the way to work.

22. nishioka says:

The Taco Bell near where I used to work at (Blair, NE) did this about 4 or 5 years ago. Seems like the breakfast hours disappeared just about as fast as they showed up.

23. Cat says:

If only pizza shops would open for breakfast and serve breakfast pizza… nobody would give a damn about Taco Bell’s breakfast burritos.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

For a while in college I worked at a pizza place…I came in early in the morning and made the crusts for the day.

Anyhoo, on Sundays the manager would make us a breakfast pizza (at 7:00AM there were only about 3-4 people in the store anyway). He’d put scrambled eggs and bacon bits on it with cheddar cheese…it was AWESOME. The very first time he made it for us I was like “OMG you have to tell corporate about this…they’ll want to open the stores for breakfast!”

…and then he stared me down and said “you will not speak a word of this to anyone. Because I am *not* coming into work at 5:00AM to set up for a breakfast shift.”

True story.

• elangomatt says:

I hope that if any pizza shops opened for breakfast, they would have not only breakfast pizzas (hot), but also have a selection of cold pizza from the night before (hopefully for cheaper than it would have been hot). Cold leftover pizza for breakfast is really an awesome thing sometimes.

24. dush says:

Wow I thought for sure it’d be a beef/cheese/potato breakfast burrito.

25. Azagthoth says:

I live in one of the test markets (Utah) and remember a time not too long ago when my local Taco Bell did serve breakfast. I remember going there on a number of occasions when I used to work a horrible 6 am – 2:30 pm shift as a twenty something. We took our lunch at 9:30 am and would rotate between a few spots, including Taco Bell.

26. Zerkaboid says:

I guess I always just assumed they did this, I mean, duh, of course they should serve brekfast burritos. It’s been years since I’ve been to a Taco Bell (it’s for the stomachs of younger men) and even when I did frequent them it was usually between 8pm and 2am.

27. daveinva says:

Heh, I was JUST writing about this here the other day… about time.

Of course, no luck for me here in VA. We had the breakfast here *briefly* at some locations back in the 1990s, but nothing for over a decade. And, alas, nothing anytime soon.

I WANT MY BREAKFAST BURRITOS.

28. gman863 says:

In Texas, Taco Cabana and Whataburger have been offering semi-authentic breakfast Taquitos for decades.

If this turns out like the rest of Taco Bell’s menu, every other business with a public restroom should be stocking up on air freshener ASAP.

29. HogwartsProfessor says:

BRING BACK EXTREME NACHOS. That’s the only thing I would go back to TB for. Well, I do like the Baja Steak Gorditas…

30. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

This is why they will win the Franchise War.

31. sumocat says:

Good luck with that. The Taco Bells in Northern VA used to serve bf until a few years ago. Used to be a great alternative to the ridiculously long line at McD.

32. dilbert69 says:

Taco Bell tried breakfast 20 years ago, at least in San Francisco. It was not a success.

33. penuspenuspenus says:

Did they stop making the 10pm-2am “4th meal” breakfast burritos? Haven’t cruised by there in forever, but I remember that familiar processed rubber scrambled egg thing I ate

34. akirabass says:

I am definitely a fan of Taco Bell at my weaker moments, but I’m not sure I like the idea of thinking outside the bun come breakfast.

35. bukkler says:

I can’t believe they included Texas in the initial market. In San Antonio, nearly every podunk place offers the most delicious breakfast tacos and burritos you can get, with beans, eggs, cheese, chorizo, machaca, carne guisada, fresh salsa and more, and usually on handmade fresh tortillas. Way cheap, too. Taco Bell doesn’t stand a chance there.

36. B2BigAl says:

Yay, now taco bell can ruin your breakfast too! I cant imagine starting my day off with something from the Bell, it’s not even good at three in the morning when you’re drunk and nothing else is open. Seriously though, taco bueno has been doing this for a few years now, it was NOT a good idea.

37. skakh says:

Indicating that Taco Bell has Mexican food is like saying Pizza Hut has pizza. Clearly insults to Mexican food and pizza.