Report: Next Xbox Coming In 2013, Will Be 6 Times More Powerful Than 360

Microsoft is reportedly prepping its follow-up to the Xbox 360, with plans to start mass-producing the console’s components by the end of the year and release it in October or November of 2013.

Quoting unnamed sources, IGN reports Microsoft plans to get development kit in the hands of game makers in August. Many people have speculated that a more advanced version of the Kinect sensor would be built into the console, but IGN doesn’t address that rumor.

If the report is accurate, Microsoft might release some info at June’s E3 expo, which would be an excellent time to spoil Nintendo’s Wii U coming-out festivities. In any case, it’s comforting to Xbox 360 owners to know that their old warhorse still has more than a year and a half before it becomes obsolete.

Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen [IGN]

Comments

1. clippy2.0 says:

Good, that might be enough time for me to hit level 80 in Skyrim….

But then, when will I find the time to play Wet?

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I bought Forza 4, then Arkham City, and barely dented either before I picked up Skyrim. Now, that’s all I play. I HOPE a year and a half is enough time to see everything.

• clippy2.0 says:

I play Forza 4 the same way I play Forza 3; unlock a car I think looks cool, upgrade it fully then realize I can’t use it in any of the races I want because it’s too strong. There is something weirdly addicting about it, luckily I have Skyrim (or as my wife calls it, heroin hero) to keep my mind off the cars!

• hoi-polloi says:

I was thinking of buying Arkham City, then realized that I wouldn’t be playing anything else once I picked up Skyrim. AC and other titles I’ll eventually pick up should be pretty affordable by the time I tire of Skyrim.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Halo was good? When did that happen?

• some.nerd says:

2 years ago?

2. Amaras says:

So.. about the same processing power of my present PC at 4 times the price tag.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Well then my question is how cheap is your PC or how expensive do you think the Nextbox is going to be?

• teamplur says:

inoright? I spent well over $600 for my custom built machine. (first time I had it built instead of building it myself; got it on credit; i’m a bad consumer, i know!) anyways, at that price i got the fastest AMD that was available, 6-core 1100T, a pretty good video card, watercooling. and a few other nice things. I can’t see a console opening at more than $700, and that’s pushing it.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Most of the speculation I have seen seems to think $300 sounds like the price point for the next xbox. That sounds reasonable to me, but who knows what they’ll do.

• xyzzyman says:

I think he meant his PC cost 4 times as much.

Either way, why is this on Consumerist? They didn’t even try to add something to make it relevant…

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Given how many posts the 360 got–Red Ring of Death horror stories, woo–I think this was made in anticipation of the upcoming horror stories for Xbox 720. Or whatever.

• NickJames says:

No he was right, the Xbox 3 will cost alot more than a PC of equivalent power in 2013. Maybe not 4 times but still alot.

• TheRealMcCoy says:

Unless it costs more than $7800, It should be fine.

3. Marlin says:

Good. PC games are now being held back by Consoles. Hopefully DX11 will be supported in the next xbox so more game makers will step up to use it.

4. PHRoG says:

Hmmm, well then. So much for my decision to buy a 360 this year. :P

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Well I’m sure you’ll be able to get one super cheap after the next one goes on sale, or I’ll bet they lower the price when they announce the new one.

• SerenityDan says:

Well if it’s anything like the move from Original Xbox to the 360 I wouldn’t count on backwards compatibility, so having a 360 might be good for all the great games from this console generation.

• hansolo247 says:

If they go with PowerPC this time around (and all indications are that they will), there will be backward compatibility.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Until it’s disabled with an update, since Sony showed with the PS3 that it’s perfectly fine and legal to do so.

• PHRoG says:

Yeah…I’m not a gamer, we’ve got a Wii, but that was an xmas gift to our family from my folks. The last time I purchased a console was back when the Sega Genesis was new! :D

I had decided this year to buy a 360, more for media purposes than games, but of course the kiddos would want the games too. So while I can save money on it and games, I’m mostly concerned about MS dropping support for the 360.

The OA didn’t say what their support plans were once the new device is released.

• StarKillerX says:

Well considering that if you bought one now you would you get at least 18 months use of it before the new version comes out, and if your not planning on getting the next one right away you’ll get even longer from the 360.

5. Gman says:

Ouch. Launch games are not gonna be too fantastic if their 3rd party partners are only getting dev consoles to test and alter code a year from launch. Sure they probably can know the specs and code to them much, much sooner. But that still only gives them less that a year to properly QA the games and tune them. [Or as some really bad commercials call it…increasing the graphics on level 3 :-) ]

Sigh… I know it helps secrecy but come on. Give your 3rd party people some real support. Give them 2 years out with strict NDA’s or something. That way launch games will be actually good beyond anything made by 1st party developers.

• pop top says:

I think it’s a rite of passage that most launch games with new consoles are terrible.

• clippy2.0 says:

Can’t wait to see the new Halo owners muck up a wonderful title with a terrible release for a brand new platform!

• VectorVictor says:

Considering we’re talking about very similar architecture and structure to PC gaming, there’s probably going to be a very small ramp-up time.

I mean, it’s not like Microsoft is going to lock down the system RAM for video and force devs to code around their wall, right?

• MrEvil says:

Not at all similar to a PC. Granted, Microsoft makes porting between Windows and Xbox simple, but you have two very different CPU architectures at work there.

Odds are the launch titles will begin development on the 360, necessary changes made and updates to harness the additional power of the new console in that last year.

• Gally says:

I see what you did thar

6. thomwithanh says:

XBox 720?

• QuantumCat says:

I’ve always thought it was the least clever of the nicknames for the next Xbox system.

Doubling the number just doesn’t make much sense–it’s not like we’re expecting the PS6 for the next gen.

NextBox is probably the next most popular.

I like Xbox1080 (going with the degrees theme), or Xbox129600 (360*360) too.

• mikebw says:

How about XBox 3pi radians?

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Does that make it the XBoX 2160?

8. hansolo247 says:

This is a very large departure from the last Xbox, which had high-end internals.

This is a GPU that is not even mid-range for 2011.

It does seem like this will be a $299 machine out the gate.

9. zlionsfan says:

So if the console launches in fourth quarter 2013, the hardware should be stable about fourth quarter 2015 or 2016?

10. Costner says:

PS4 or GTFO.

11. ahecht says:

Only 6 times? The Xbox 360 was released in November 2005. If the new machine is released 8 years later in November 2013, by Moore’s Law it should be at least 32 times as powerful.

Moore’s law aside, a top of the line graphics card in 2005 could do 165 GFLOpS. A modern top of the line graphics card can do 2488 GFLOpS, which is 15 times better. Only a 6 fold improvement 22 months from now is an insult.

• QuantumCat says:

Moore’s Law only refers to the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on a chip. It has a good correlation to power, but transistor count doesn’t equate to a linear increase in performance. In any case, it applies more to the state of technology, not what a given device should have.

12. 12-inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

Great. This means the new 360 I bought in December to replace my original 360 (bought shortly after launch) that died isn’t a total waste of money!

13. redspeed says:

Six times as powerful might at first sound powerful, but when you realize the new Xbox is going to be released 8 years after the 360, then its actually quite disappointing. The only improvement is we will see the next generation games running in 1080p compared to the slightly above 480p resolutions they’re running at now.

Microsoft saw what Nintendo did with the Wii, releasing a cheaper. less powerful system than the competitors and doing quite well with it, so theyre going the same route this time. The new Xbox is going to focus more on gimmicky Kinect games and being a media center than a powerful gaming system.

• thedarkerside.to says:

There really is only one market for a Wii type device.

As for the new XBOX, they can do a lot more than just 1080p to make it look good, they can finally do decent AA for example.

Also: With the new, faster GPUs, who knows what kind of physics we could get if they put their mind to it.

14. f5alcon says:

the information provided is not really enough to determine how much better the console will be. the 360 has a triple core 3ghz proc, it probably won’t be much faster, but they could possible add a core, going to something like quad core 3.2 or 3.5, would still offer a decent cpu upgrade. The GPU sounds a little weak, but they only need to get to 1080p though being powerful enough for 4k displays and 60fps 3D would be nice.

The bigger question is memory, the 360 has 256mb system emmory and 256 system memory reserved for gpu really 4GB for system and 2GB for gpu would be good, as it allows for higher resolution textures.

15. thedarkerside.to says:

I think the XBOX and PS3 Hardware is at the end of it’s lifecycle already. Just looking at the games as they get more ambitious, more problems seem to crop up (e.g. popping textures).

I admit I have hoped for a new XBOX by the end of this year, but seems like it’s still out a year more.

16. Actionable Mango says:

Maybe we’ll finally be able to play AAA titles in 1080P/60.

17. Geekybiker says:

They release a console with a low end GPU for now in 2013? It’d be a disappointment if it was released today. They’ll be lucky to push today’s graphics to 1080p resolutions.

18. Outrun1986 says:

For me its all about the games, I just bought the Xbox 360 last year and I intend to play it for a while until I get the next one. The xbox 360 has plenty of bargain priced games and GOTY editions that are bargain priced and have all the DLC content on the disks.

Based on this I can’t see myself buying this console for the next 5 years, I have all the cheap games I need and more, in fact I don’t have time to play them all. Besides I don’t want to overpay for mediocre launch titles and hardware that is not proven to be reliable like the current slims. Those launch titles will be $5 in due time.

19. Plasmafox says:

Where “power” is defined as “ways to try and sell people stuff they don’t need while also stealing all the personal information they can.”