Beware Of Super Bowl Scams

The countdown to Super Bowl XLVI has begun, and while you’re gearing up to cheer on either the NY Giants or the New England Patriots (may we suggest a color palette of red, white and blue?) the Better Business Bureau is reminding football fans to avoid being sacked by knock-off team jerseys, counterfeit memorabilia, and phony game tickets.

Katherine Hutt, spokesperson for the Council of Better Business Bureaus says, “If you love your team, don’t buy a hat or jersey from someone who has stolen the team’s name and logo for their own profit.” She adds that counterfeit items are almost always poorly made with inferior materials, so they won’t last as long as the real thing.

Tickets to the big game can also be a big rip-off. There are thousands of Super Bowl tickets listed on CraigsList, but the site offers no guarantees, and does not require identification of sellers, so all you may get for your thousands of dollars is a big pile of nothing.

Instead, the BBB suggests sites such as Stub Hub, which guarantee ticket authenticity, and — though we are hesitant to mention their name here — Ticketmaster, which handles ticket exchanges for the NFL.

In addition, several BBB locations across the country have reported websites that don’t actually have any Super Bowl merchandise, but want your credit card and personal information in order to steal your identity or drain your bank account. The best way to ensure you’re getting official sports gear is to buy directly from the team or league website, or from official vendors at the stadium.

The following are warning signs that any transaction — whether it’s for Super Bowl tickets or commemorative World Cup beer cozies — may be a scam:
*Offers that sound “too good to be true.”
*Pushy sales tactics.
*Poor quality of merchandise.
*Offers that require wire transfer of funds.

Look Out for Super Bowl Scams [BBB]

Comments

1. scoutermac says:

Ticket scalping is LEGAL in Indiana. Beware. Many tickets sold on the streets of Downtown Indianapolis are fake!

• SilentAgenger says:

Also, don’t fall for the old “fake ticket warning scam” where some guy watches you buy tickets on the street, then afterward he approaches you saying “Hey, there’s a lot of fake tickets going around…did you make sure those weren’t counterfeit?”. When you respond “They look real to me” he’ll say, “Here, let me take a quick look and I’ll be able to tell you for sure if they’re fake”…then if you’re foolish enough to proceed with his request he takes off like a bat with your tickets in hand.

And, no, it wasn’t me (in either case :). I just remember hearing that on the news the last time the Super Bowl was in my city.

• bluline says:

I live in Indy and the scams are the ridiculous prices for hotel rooms, airline tickets, and restaurants. Even second- and third-tier hotels are selling rooms at $500 per night with a four-night minimum. The newspaper last week reported one restaurant planning to charge a flat rate of $300 per person for dinner. News reports this evening indicated that many people planning to attend are flying into places like Cincinnati and Louisville, booking hotels and rental cars there (all at rates way below Indy), and driving the two hours each way to the game. Of course, when they get here they’ll have to pay more than $100 to park, but that’s cheap compared to what they’d pay to actually fly in and stay here.

2. tbax929 says:

If NFL-licensed apparel weren’t so ridiculously overpriced, I’m sure more folks would buy the real thing.

I used to live near the Majestic factory, and a few times a year they’d have a sale, open to the public. We’re talking jerseys for $10-$20, etc. Because of those sales, I have a closet full of team gear. But anything I buy now is definitely not authentic. I’m not spending hundreds of dollars on a jersey for a player who may or may not even be with my team the next season.

I go to a lot of games and enjoy wearing my team gear, but I feel like I spend enough as it is.

• Outrun1986 says:

Some of the fakes are so good that you can’t tell despite from a tiny logo or mark missing, which the average person is not going to notice when you are walking around. I really can’t see spending $300 for a jersey either

3. rpm773 says:

Hopefully this time around we won’t be scammed out of a Pats’ victory.

4. kranky says:

My neighbor was victimized by a Super Bowl scam but in a different way. At the end of the regular season, a co-worker of his set up and sold a block pool ($10/block) for the Super Bowl. The co-worker hasn’t shown up for work this week and isn’t answering his phone. Looks like he quit, moved, and scammed $1000 on the way out.

• framitz says:

Abandoned the job and moved over a 1000 dollar scam?
      Must be one stupid, desperate crook.

• kranky says:

My neighbor thinks the guy was planning to leave anyway, and then figured how to grab a little money at the same time.

• corkdork says:

More like someone who was planning on leaving and moving anyhow, and decided to make an extra grand on the way out.

• rpm773 says:

Hey, there’s two weeks between the championships and the superbowl. If that guy can line a few things up, he could repeat this and have a cool $10K before it’s all over.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Hey, just contact the guy’s college. The fundraising group always finds a way to obtain the most current address.

5. Cat says:

Add to the list of Superbowl scams:

The Superbowl.

6. ungeheier says:

Maybe he got robbed and killed for the $1000 he was carrying around.

7. kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

“*Offers that sound “too good to be true.”
    *Pushy sales tactics.
    *Poor quality of merchandise.
    *Offers that require wire transfer of funds.”

also
    * Tickets that appear to be printed on crackers.

8. RandomHookup says:

I want to do my annual thanks for spelling “Super Bowl” properly. I’ll be kvetching about others who seem to think it’s one word.

9. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Last year when the “big game” was in Arlington (Dallas), very few of the local news stories were about counterfeit merchandise or tickets. Some fundie organization had issued a press release saying 50,000 sex workers, most of them under age and involuntary, were on their way to service all the immoral football fans. That would make 1 for every 2 ticketholders. The local news ran with it and besides the cold weather that was the big story. No one questioned the numbers, they just reported it.

Of course, after it was all said and done some enterprising reporter contacted the local PD, and found out there had been no more prostitution-related arrests than on a usual weekend.

• RickScarf says:

Indiana just rushed through a law to make it so a 3rd party can’t sex traffic minors… before the law only was that your PARENTS couldn’t put you out on the streets.

Thanks, Texas :-/