Butter Queen Paula Deen Brings It Full Circle, Gets Paid To Endorse Diabetes Program

Paula Deen is known for packing in the butter in her recipes, with such recipes as doughnut hamburgers (with bacon and a fried egg, of course) and Krispy Kreme bread pudding. But now that she’s going on air to announce that she has Type 2 diabetes, it’s probably the perfect time to announce that she’s the new paid spokesperson for a diabetes drug company. Timing is everything.

Speaking of timing, she tells the Today show’s Al Roker that she was diagnosed three years ago. During that time, her recipes have continued to include high calories, sugar and fat. She says she wanted to wait to tell everyone when she had something to bring to the table.

And now she’s bringing a diabetes company to that calorie-laden table.

“I’m working along with a very reputable pharmaceutical company, I’m working on a program called ‘Diabetes In A New Light,’ you can go to our website,” says Paula. “I’m gonna be there for you, I’m going to help you manage every day of your life with this, because it can be done.”

At which point Al kindly points out that the viewers should know Paula is getting paid for her endorsement.

“Absolutely I have been compensated, just as you are for your work,” admits Paula.

So what does she have to say to the haters out there who point out that it’s just her kind of cooking that can contribute to a diabetes diagnosis?

“That’s part of the puzzle, but there are many other things that can lead to diabetes,” Paula explains, helpfully pointing out anything that is not her food. “Certainly genetics, certainly your life style, certainly what you eat, certainly stress,” as well as age.

But also? Stuffing unhealthy food in your mouth.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Paula Deen: Diabetes is “not a death sentence” [Today]

Comments

1. Cat says:

“reputable pharmaceutical company”

Are these words allowed to co-exist within the same sentence?

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

In Canada? Sure. They pay 70% of the Single-Payer Health-Care System. :U

I for one welcome and admire our Big Pharma Overlords.

• katekate is squared says:

Well, she didn’t say WHAT kind of reputation makes them “reputable.”

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Sadly, even Paula Deen is airbrushed on the pictures of her products. That or it’s a very old stock photo.

3. Hi_Hello says:

wow, great business model.
    Get people to eat/make your food.
    When they get diabetes, have them go through your program.

• ChuckECheese says:

She’s like Paul Prudhomme channeling Jean Nidetch. Or vice-versa or something.

• Upthewazzu says:

Cigarette companies have been doing it for years.

• crispyduck13 says:

You didn’t think she got to where she is by being a good cook did you? She is one of those marketing geniuses that somehow gets people to hang on their every word. She got rich making you a fat sack of fatness, now she’ll get richer “helping” you through your adult onset diabetes.

I prefer my vicious, unapologetic Martha Stewart over this clown.

• Not Given says:

Why do you think the pharmaceutical industry and the junk food companies are the biggest contributors to the American Diabetes Association?

4. Coffee says:

I can’t help but think that if she spent her whole life shilling Malboro Reds, then got emphysema and was paid to be the spokeswoman of a product doubted to assist people who had the same, people wouldn’t be as amused.

• Coffee says:

doubted = touted

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

No, you were right. This whole thing is full of doubt.

• clippy2.0 says:

making fun of fat people is always okay, no matter what disease they have. because fat is funny. always

• Coffee says:

Making fun of fat people? What the hell are you talking about? Check yourself, son.

• Coffee says:

Wait a second…I just realized that you’re probably not talking about me, but rather all the other wiseacres who are making jokes about it. Barb retracted.

• rpm773 says:

But people were amused at her and her butter use from day one, because they knew it was unhealthy. Hell, she even laughed at herself about it after a while. She’s a postmodern.

Her cooking is like all those deep fried carny foods we hear about every summer. Nobody thinks those are good for you…they just exist to tweak Northeasterners who have exceptionally puckered assholes.

• Coffee says:

No, I get it…I understand her humor and have seen her on TV…my point still stands…if she were a smoker and were like, “Whoopsie, yall…looks lack I have emphysema from all those cigarettes I endorsed. Now I’m endorsing a new smoking cessation aid, but I’m still going to smoke, only in moderation,” the media would hang her.

• crispyduck13 says:

As a Pennsylvanian I demand you clarify. I would also challenge you to find an unpuckered asshole, pics or it didn’t happen.

5. chemmy says:

YOUR POINT IS INVALID BECAUSE BUTTER.

6. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

High calories, sugar and fat – that’s an understatement. I watch her cooking show from time to time just to marvel over how someone can pack so many calories into one meal.

7. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

I’m calling the new condition “Deen-abetes”!

8. dangermike says:

It’s the classic pump-and-dump. Brilliantly played, Ms. Deen.

9. HomerSimpson says:

Will she have some new recipes with diabetes medicine as one of the ingredients?

10. Hartwig says:

The Onion has to be pissed that celebrities are able to come up with these stupid ideas before them.

11. Such an Interesting Monster says:

This whole thing leaves a taste in my mouth that not even butter, bacon, or gravy can fix.

12. Joesph Mama says:

I can not even stand to listen to her speak.

• Jillia says:

Me neither! Finally! Someone who understands my pure hatred for that woman’s voice. When she talks it’s like she’s thinking really hard about what the words are and how to pronounce them. It’s not natural.

13. wojonet says:

Vertical integration, baby, it’s all the rage.

Seriously, a real reporter just needs to call her out on her bull$#!%.

• Costner says:

They already have. She claims she has been saying “in moderation” for years, but I somehow doubt that is true. She also is quick to point out that her show only does about 30 recipes a year…. so I guess she is assuming people will never make a recipe more than once.

Finally, she also stated she is a cook not a doctor… which is a great way of distancing herself, but sort of makes you wonder why she is qualified to endorse a pharmaceutical company.

For me personally, I think the most disgusting thing here is that she has known she had diabetes for three years and only now that she is making some cash for shilling for this company does she announce her condition. Meanwhile she is still adding truckloads of butter to everything made on her show as if there was never any issue.

Hypocritical much? She is everything that is wrong with these idiot “experts” that Oprah helps to create. A “Doctor” who isn’t a licensed doctor, a diabetic chef who insists on pushing fatty and unhealthy foods, and a MD who pushes alternative medicine rather than science. As far as I’m concerned, Oprah is 0 for 3 on these idiots.

14. Buckus says:

Eating a steady diet of Paul Deen’s food and not exercising = diabetes. Enjoying one of her dishes every now and then? Ok. Eating it everyday? Death.

On that note, I’m going to start a youtube channel showing people how to amputate their limbs. Also, I’m a paid spokesman for a company that makes prosthetic limbs. Sure, amputating your own limbs is part of the puzzle…

• Flik says:

Yeah — if you’re nutty enough to eat like this every day, you deserve to have your arteries cleared. But once in a blue moon? It’s comfort food to the max.

I’ve liked Paula’s recipes for close to 15 years now – way before she was a celeb. We went to her original Lady & Sons restaurant in Savannah on a whim back in 2000 – just walked in, no reservations, tour buses, or obnoxious laughter anywhere. The food was FANTASTIC – but again, not something I’d recommend having on a regular basis.

That said, do try her recipe for baked sweet potatoes. Once a year and half a cup isn’t likely to kill ya.

15. wojonet says:

Also, I refuse to trust anyone on this issue except for the ‘diabeetus’ guy.

• darabidduckie says:

Leave it to Wilford Brimley to make something so potentially deadly sound so absolutely charming…

16. Ayla says:

High calories and fat having NOTHING to do with diabetes. Sugar and refined carbs do. I certainly think her diet contributed to her health problems BUT it wasn’t packing in the butter as you suggest. It was packing in the white flour, rice and most of all sugar.

Grass fed, organic butter is actually very good for you. http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

# Butter has high quantities of easily absorbed Vitamin A. Better eyesight and better sex hormone production. (Always a bonus.)
    # Butter is rich in trace minerals.
    # Butter is has equal amounts of essential fatty acids.
    # Butter has fatty acids that are anti-carcinogenic.
    # Butter has no trans-fats.

• Greg Ohio says:

It’s obesity.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Your pancreas must love you.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

And she had/has a diet FULL of sugar and simple carbs. She ate/eats GARBAGE. It’s not just fat, it’s the whole package.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

I’m with you. I’m on a weight loss diet from which most of my calories come from animal fat. With a high fat/high protein/low carb diet, I can easily comply with my 1300-1400 cal per day regime. Butter is a major ingredient in my weight loss diet, and I doubt I’ll get diabetes from my diet. It just doesn’t have enough sugar to do the job.

• davegins says:

I’m pretty sure if she had swapped in wheat flour, brown rice and agave in all her recipes she would still have developed diabetes. But I’ve probably been brainwashed by the “Diet Dictocrats” LOL.

• APCO25guy says:

Good points, you cannot “get” diabetes from eating, you are either born with the gene, or not. One call I went on last week to a 688 pound man (a “lift assist” as it went out on the radio) and guess what, he had no history of elevated blood glucose (despite him telling us he at FOUR 1/4 hamburgers, a big-gulp HFCS infused soda and ice cream), he only pinged a 110 on my accucheck 30 min later. BP was 122 over 76.

Paula Deen is a shill. If she was really out here to “help” diabetics, she would have “come out” years ago, not wait for the drug and chemical shit factories to give her a contract. What a turd.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i agree that she should have said something long ago. she probably thought it would hurt her cooking show.
        but she could have used the time to be a good role model and help other people
        and thanks, coming from a type 1 adult onset diabetic, with a family history of BOTH types, it’s important to me that people know either kind can happen regardless of what you eat. my mom, the anti candy, anti sugar, brown rice and broccoli queen is borderline type 2 and has been for years. she didn’t get elevated blood glucose from all that fiber and lean protein she’s been eating. my dad’s the one with poor diet and he only pinged impaired glucose a few months ago at age 70 for the first time.
        sure, poor food choices don’t help but you can eat all twinkies all the time and not get diabetes if it’s not in your DNA

• KB Foodie says:

Grass-fed… I’ll (very very very) concede you a tiny difference in the O3′s. Organic, however…nice try, thanks for playing, but no. In fact, no, no, no, a million times no. Organic butter is no better than regular butter. Organic has actually not been proven (by REAL university science, not blogs by stay-at-home moms) to be nutritionally superior. It’s an elitist tax…

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Well, neither “cause” diabetes, at least not directly. If you’re genetically predisposed to it you’re going to get it no matter what you eat.

If you eat a diet consisting of high fats, refined carbs, and lots of sugar you’re likely to become obese at some point, which dramatically increases your chances of developing obesity-related diabetes via metabolic syndrome and/or insulin resistance.

• RxDude says:

High calorie and fat intake makes people fat. When people are fat, their tissues can become resistant to insulin. When a person’s body is resistant to insulin, they become diabetic.

Some people are or will become diabetic no matter what they do. That is what has commonly been called Type I diabetes. Type II diabetes becomes more prevalent with advanced age, but the most common cause by far of Type II diabetes is obesity.

I have seen first hand that a person with diabetes caused by obesity can reverse the disease with weight loss. Not just keep it from progressing – reverse it. As in, lose the weight, and they are no longer diabetic because their body responds normally to insulin when they are at a healthy weight.

Again, not all diabetes is caused by obesity. But much of what is called “Type II” diabetes is, and is preventable and reversible.

Be careful with the butter (even magical organic butter from unicorn milk), and you reduce your risk of diabetes.

17. TinaBringMeTheAx says:

I know nothing about this Dean woman, but her actions seem pretty disgraceful.

18. Andy Dufresne says:

What a hypocritical biatch.

19. debjwhe says:

This is so wrong!

20. Hoss says:

Is this the same website that spent a year in love with the double down and everything bacon?

• flychinook says:

The double-down doesn’t have much more calories or fat than a Big Mac, and far fewer calories and fat than an Angus Deluxe. And that’s the breaded/fried version. The uproar over that sandwich was stupid, if they had put it on a bun nobody would have even raised an eyebrow.

21. Rod Rescueman says:

All I can say is it could be worse, we could have NO butter (but a lot thinner):

22. Kathlene says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the tone of this article. Well played, Ms. Quirk. I was wondering why there was no link to her new-fangled website: http://www.diabetesinanewlight.com

It looks like a helpful site, but then, wait, scroll down. Oh yes, there it is. The reasons you *shouldn’t* be treating Type 2 diabetes with that injectable concoction.

23. jpdanzig says:

No wonder Americans are suffering from such an epidemic of obesity — and diabetes…

24. tooluser says:

Eat whatever you like.

25. SteveHolt says:

This woman is fucking disgusting. I love butter as much as the next guy, but come on! She made a fortune telling Americans to eat bullshit. I hope she gets her heath under control, but God damn this was all her doing.

26. momtimestwo says:

She didn’t want to tell anyone until she had something to “bring to the table”? What she really means is she thought her diabetes was none of our business (and it’s not). But then a drug company paid her to make it our business. Or she didn’t want her food show ratings to go down and be canned until she found a new source of income. Maybe her contract is coming up for renewal. She’s full of it anyway, and I hate her fake, over dramatized accent and I live in Nashville so I’m fairly immune to hearing people talk like that.

27. Dallas_shopper says:

You reap what you sow.

I wouldn’t wish diabetes on anyone, but she was BEGGING for it.

28. Boo LaRue says:

It’s simple: if you don’t appreciate the kind of cooking that this woman does, don’t eat it, don’t watch her shows, don’t read her magazine, etc. Why do people feel so compelled to jump on the bandwagon and start bitching about how unhealthy her food is, and how she’s a horrible person to be cooking like that? It’s not like she’s forcing anyone to partake. Move on.

29. impatientgirl says:

As fun as it is to make jokes about celebrities like this, I know quite a few people who are thin and don’t eat like she does that have diabetes and many who are just like her and don’t. It isn’t 100% about the food.

30. Cor Aquilonis says:

Even more interestingly, you can eat pretty healthily at her buffet. I went to the Paula Deen restaurant in Tunica, and there was a nice salad bar, simply prepared shrimp and seafood, along with a variety of home cooking. Even the deserts were in tiny single serve portions.

I ate like a pig anyway, but that’s because I paid $20 bucks to eat there and would probably never eat there again. But it is possible to eat healthily at her restaurant.

31. ronbo97 says:

Right now, she’s probably looking for a sponsor for her coronary bypass surgery.

32. bretlinford says:

I would just like to point out that high-fat foods have nothing to do with Type 2 Diabetes. It’s the high amount of carbohydrates that wreak havoc on insulin levels.

33. bitplayer says:

It doesn’t take a doctor to see she was in bad shape before this announcement and you don’t have to be nutrititionist to know cheesecake dipped in chocolate is bad for you. If she’s gonna take the medicine why not get a little scratch for it? Nothing to see here.