Circle K Helps Place Bounties On Heads Of Anonymous Thieves On Facebook

Figuring cops shouldn’t be the only ones chasing down criminals via Facebook, convenience store chain Circle K has started going after small-time alleged thieves by posting surveillance video footage on Facebook. The chain’s partner, crime fighting nonprofit Silent Witness, gives as much as $100 to those who spot acquaintances and soon-to-be-former friends making off with beer.

Tucson Weekly reports the program, dubbed Circle K Crime Busters, encompasses 625 stores in Arizona and Nevada. Circle K’s loss-prevention manager calls it “a safe conduit to report crime.”

To gawk at alleged criminals, visit the Circle K Crime Busters page.

To Catch a Beer Thief [Tucson Weekly]

Comments

1. Jim M says:

Lawsuit in 3…2…1

• u1itn0w2day says:

They probably got the picture including the act from an in store security camera system. I’m pretty sure the entire video will be made available to police.

Bring in the Dog!

• George4478 says:

“I’m suing you! You didn’t ask my permission before you posted that video of me stealing your beer!”

• kc2idf says:

Well, I can’t see the page because I need to sign up for Facebook to do that (which I refuse to do), so I will admit to being at least partly in the dark here, but . . .

Pictures taken in a public place are fair game. You’re in public. You have no expectation of privacy. Hell, they probably have the cameras prominently placed, and may even have a sign warning that you are being videoed.

So, if you word it carefully, e.g. “wanted for questioning in connection with . . . ” rather than recklessly, e.g. “this guy is a thief,” then you’re probably okay. Sprinkle liberally (even in conservative areas like Oklahoma) with the word “alleged”.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, so take my advice with an appropriate-sized grain of salt.

• SJActress says:

The disclaimer after each photo and description of the alleged crime: If you have any information regarding this subject, please contact (702) blah-blah or submit a tip at http://www.crimestoppersofnv.com/report-a-crime.html. Please refer to Police Report #blah blah blah. All subjects are innocent until proven guilty. We appreciate all of your support, but please direct all comments to our Crime Stopper programs. Please note that any and all comments can and will be deleted.

• framitz says:

If the recording is video only with no audio I don’t think there would be any grounds to sue.

• Jawaka says:

You can sue anyone for anything that you want. It doesn’t mean that you’ll be successful though.

2. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

“Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.”
    - Bill & Ted

3. SporadicBlah says:

LOVE this idea. They should post the photos on their front door as well. If every business did this theft might go down. As far as lawsuits go, if you have proof the person is stealing and you post the photo of them doing the crime then there is no case for slander. Proven criminals should have rights anyway.

4. rdaex says:

1) people need to steal better beer.. jesus H. Bud light?! You wouldnt need to steal THIRTY of them if you drank something halfway decent.

2) how bad does your life need to get that your best option that day is STEALING beer?

• jza1218 says:

Especially in Nevada. Just sit down at a slot machine and get them for free. You don’t even really need to gamble!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

1) Explain. Does “good beer” have significantly higher alcohol content that Bud Light?

• conquestofbread says:

Yes. I don’t drink beer, but my boyfriend loves expensive microbrews, and justifies the price by citing the higher alcohol content.

Bud Light is probably around 4%, I have seen craft brews around 11%.

• chizu says:

Yes. I once got my boyfriend a bomber of La Fin du Monde, it’s 9% at 22oz. He got pretty wasted quickly (it went down real easy and real fast) and broke the jade bracelet my mother gave me… That was an interesting night…

Sam Adams’s Utopias go up to 21-24%? But that is also a $150 bottle of beer…

• kc2idf says:

“La fin du monde” . . . love it . . . for those who don’t speak French, it means “The End of the World.” It seems like it must be the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster of beers.

• Coffee says:

If the Sam Adams Utopia is really that high then it’s beer fortified with liquor of some sort…the bacteria that cause fermentation to happen die when the the alcohol content reaches the high teens.

That said, there’s a Dogfish Head beer that I really like (thanks, MaxH42!): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/33832

• yungjerry703 says:

depends on the style. recently session beers have been gaining ground in the craft brew world. they are new takes on old styles or just traditional lower abv styles. They still cost more compared to industrial light lagers (ILL) but the higher quality is still there.

5. Straspey says:

Then of course, there’s the problem of trying steal beer when you’ve already had – erm – some…

6. CubeRat says:

Fantastic!! This is a great idea, our society has moved away from public shamming, but it is a wonderful way to deter inappropriate behavior. Even if acquaintances, friends, or family do not report the thieves/vandals, these people will probably laugh at them and re-post the video.

Gas stations should use this idea, and post the videos at the pumps. People buying gas may be even more motivated to report those they recognize.

I love this idea :-)

7. prosumer1 says:

If you’re going to steal, steal good beer, not 30pks of shitty Bud Light.

8. RiverStyX says:

Scumbag Shopper: Drives an unnecessary SUV – Needs to steal beer.

Nothing beats a friday night then a good old fashioned Grab N Go..Back in our day, we at least used coats and picked a food store that had a door near the beer aisle. Seems to be a lot of Bud Light thievery, I guess even criminals don’t know how to pick the good stuff.

What baffles me is how these people are able to steal 30 or 40 packs of cigarettes in one haul. What did they do, distract him with a rubiks cube for 5 minutes?

9. deathbecomesme says:

@ Everyone posting how shitty BL is. There isn’t much choice at gas stations. Plus if you are stealing 30 packs of beer more than likely it’s for a party and you want something the “chics” will drink. The safe bet is bud light cuz it goes down easy(which is what you want the girls doing later).

10. DonnieZ says:

At least Annheuser-Busch can still be happy in knowning that Bud Light is not also the best selling beer, but the most stolen beer, at least according to the Facebook page and crime descriptions.

11. Difdi says:

Yes. Good beer can exceed 8% alcohol. Bud lite on the other hand, has about 4% alcohol.

12. Sparkstalker says:

So let me get this straight – Circle K will fire it’s employees who defend themselves during a robbery (http://consumerist.com/2011/12/circle-k-staffer-fired-for-foiling-armed-robbery.html), but they want the public at large to help stop them with petty theft…

Way to go guys. You’re really encouraging me to shop there.

13. Harold Kint says:

This is entertaining… Dead tree journalist blogs about article in free local alternative rag.

14. Crymansqua says:

Beer? Being sold at a gas station? Blasphemy!

15. DrLumen says:

I like where they tout that is anonymous. Who would get the reward for anonymous tips?

16. angienessyo says:

The one by my apartment has an actual little cheap magazine at the front of the store that has the shoplifters in it. It’s pretty hilarious.