More U.S. Airlines Jumping On The Surcharge Bandwagon After EU Emissions Law

Travelers taking off or landing in countries in the European Union may notice a bump in airline fares, as U.S. Airways and American Airlines have joined Delta and United Continental in adding a $3 surcharge each way to help offset the cost of a new carbon emissions law.

Reuters says the law requires airlines airlines touching down or departing from the EU and three neighboring countries to acquire permits for the carbon they emit while flying.

Several countries, including the United States, have spoken up in opposition of the law, which went into effect January 1.

As airlines try to pay for the carbon emissions permits and pass the cost on to consumers, some experts say airfares between the U.S. and Europe could rise higher than the $3 each way surcharge, up to $90.

American, US Air add surcharges in wake of EU law [Reuters]

Comments

1. Coffee says:

I need to create a similar oxygen fee for anyone who enters my office at work. You know, for all the oxygen they’re using up and carbon dioxide they’re dumping into my precious work space.

2. AllanG54 says:

Screw the $6 roundtrip fee, last year when I went to Europe it cost me $100 just for the extra baggage I had to take.

3. Marlin says:

As long as I know about the cost in advance i’m fine.

If you don’t like it don’t fly into/out of the EU.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’d take a ship, but I’d lose thousands in lost wages.

• Kaleey says:

Yeah, because no one ever flies to the EU out of necessity – it’s always “just for the fun of it!”

Wonder if the airlines will try to not show this fee when quoting a price for a ticket as it’s related to specific countries. Wouldn’t put it past them.

4. StarKillerX says:

Wait… what?

But I thought companies eat these costs, at least that’s what everyone who supports them says.

5. dolemite says:

What airline receipts will look like eventually:

$00.99
    $11.95
    $00.05
    $23.55
    $95.99
    $25.95
    $03.00
    $15.55
    $01.95
    $57.75
    $02.25
    $00.02
    $18.95

Each fee will be disclosed at a different part of the booking process and trip, and the final bill will arrive weeks after you return home (with 2 fees you never knew about).

• madcatcasey says:

And will come as 15 different charges, from each separate entity in the transportation chain. Much like healthcare.

6. Hi_Hello says:

Do I need to pay more if I farted while in the plane? or while in one of the EU?

7. AldisCabango says:

Does anyone not expect the consumer to pay for the increased taxed?

8. MonkeyMonk says:

When my family flew to Europe in October the total amount of all the additional fees, surcharges, and taxes were more than the ticket prices.

9. sonneillon says:

So, the airlines costs go up so their rates go up. I generally find the airline business to be pretty shady and poorly run, but this seams fairly legitimate. Although it should be in the base rate. If your raising rates because of increased costs on your end you advertise the higher rate instead of back ending a fee in.

10. Cat says:

I’ll just go to Asia or Africa on my next vacation.

They don’t give a fuck about carbon emissions or pollution.

11. Southern says:

This is a sterling example of why taxing, fining, or otherwise imposing a surcharge on a company doesn’t affect the *company*, it affects the consumer by pasing the cost directly onto them (and maybe a bit more to covering processing costs and/or just extra profit).

The EU airports might just as well have a Credit Card machine at their Passport Checkpoints and say “that’ll be $10.00 for the privilege of entering our country, please.”

12. nikalseyn says:

The airlines really need to make sure this new charge is prominently displayed and pointed out to ticket purchasers. If nothing else, it would help describe the “new” united Europe of increased fees, taxes, and governmental control.