American Airlines Warns Customers Of Potential For Scam Emails

American Airlines is warning customers about a potential email phishing scam that could be trying to steal personal information by posing as the airline. The emails are said to have been sent out as recently as November.

The L.A. Times says the scams aim to mislead customers into revealing things like the password to the airline’s reward program.

Examples of fake emails are posted on American Airlines’ site, including scams telling customers they’ve got a downloadable ticket to New York, or offers of money for taking a survey.

If you think you’ve received one of these emails (or, ahem, a fraudulent fax), don’t click on links, open attachments or call phone numbers included in them. Instead, forward it to webmaster@aa.com.

“We are aware of the scam,” spokesman Ed Martelle said. “It is being investigated by our corporate security department so we can find a way to shut it down.”

American Airlines warns of scam emails [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. Darrone says:

The dead giveaway was the the “click here” link in the fax.

2. Coffee says:

I would say that there need to be classes in school that teach children common strategies for avoiding scams (e.g. look at the site where the link redirects you, check for a certificate, etc.), however I suspect that younger folks who use the internet at all frequently are already wise to this sort of thing. It’s older people like my mother who are really at risk…and there’s no saving them from themselves.

3. chizu says:

I got this the other day, and I actually had to do a double take because it was a ticket to or from Phoenix (I can’t remember). It just so happened that I did book a ticket flying from PHX to EWR not that long ago. But all it really took was to look at my confirmation and google the flight number. It turned out it was a flight that’s not going to or originated from Phoenix. (On top of that, I booked my flight from the Continental website — so I was sure I didn’t have an AA flight.)

• chizu says:

Order has been completed
      Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:30 PM
      From: “American Airlines”

Dear Customer,

FLIGHT NUMBER AA995
      ELECTRONIC 159600830
      DATE & TIME / DECEMBER 15, 2011, 12:53 PM
      ARRIVING / Phoenix
      TOTAL PRICE / 225.35 USD

Please find your ticket attached.
      You can print your ticket.

Thank you for using our airline company services.
      American Airlines.

• Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

LOL Lucky, you’re going to AZ! I’ll trade you, I’m going to Kansas City.

4. DanKelley98 says:

“The emails are said to have been sent out as recently as November.”

Uhh….thanks (not) for the quick (not) notice AA!

5. Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

I got one of these emails at my work address. I looked at it and was like, “Kansas City?!~” Nice try.

Hello

FLIGHT NUMBER AA532
    ELECTRONIC 667601295
    DATE & TIME / JANUARY 10, 2012, 10:22 PM ARRIVING / Kansas City TOTAL PRICE / 118.34 USD

Please find your ticket attached.
    You can print your ticket.

American Airlines.

• ChuckLez says:

Dear Customer,

FLIGHT NUMBER AB871
      ELECTRONIC 938363620
      DATE & TIME / JANUARY 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
      ARRIVING / Kansas City
      TOTAL PRICE / 257.58 USD

Please find your ticket attached.
      You can print your ticket.

Thank you for using our airline company services.
      American Airlines.

I will meet you there :D

• Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

Golly Gee we’re really lucky to be going to Kansas City.

• ChuckLez says:

FLIGHT NUMBER AB871
      ELECTRONIC 938363620
      DATE & TIME / JANUARY 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
      ARRIVING / Kansas City
      TOTAL PRICE / 257.58 USD

I will meet you there :)