Here Are Consumerist’s 10 Most-Read Stories For 2011

In the last twelve months, we’ve posted more than 6,000 stories on Consumerist, some of which have garnered a bit more attention than others.

This year’s most-read stories cover everything from bad tippers to worse store managers, from a man who used the legal system to foreclose on one of the nation’s biggest banks to a mom who tried to sue because her kid wasn’t properly prepped for an Ivy League education.

So without any further hubbub, here is the list of the stories that millions of Consumerist readers deemed the most eyeball-worthy:

1. Mom Sues Preschool For Failing To Prep Tot For Harvard

2. The Post-Apocalyptic Clownscape That Was Six Flags New Orleans

3. Customer Catches Best Buy Breaking Law, Gets Banned From Store

4. Wells Fargo Meeting Today With Philly Homeowner Who “Foreclosed” On Them (Here’s How He Did It)

5. Congratulations BP: You’re The Worst Company In America!

6. Calm Man Successfully Buys TV And Denies Walmart Receipt Checkers

7. This $10 Tip Is Not The Best Way To Show Your Gratitude To Your Server

8. Southwest Pilot Holds Plane For Murdered Child’s Family

9. We’re Sorry You Ever Came To Our Store & Wasted Our Precious Time

10. 9 Confessions Of A Former Geek Squad Geek

Thanks to everyone for reading. See y’all in 2012!

Comments

1. longfeltwant says:

#7 is the best story of the year. That was awesome.

2. Fast Eddie Eats Bagels says:

Four of them were Ben’s. RIP Ben!

• BensFlare says:

I didn’t know he died! Didn’t he run this blog? How did he die so relatively young?

• Bativac says:

Ben had simply lost the will to live. His children, Luke and Leia, will not remember him, but they will be told of his love for them. To protect them, they were separated and taken to opposite corners of the galaxy.

…Actually I think Ben has moved on to bigger and better things. You might check out his website benpopkenwrites.com for more details.

3. Coles_Law says:

I was really hoping for “Gun-toting breastfeeding mom banned from Walmart for not showing receipt” :).

4. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

My only regret is none of them were based on a tip from me.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

If it were up to me all of your pithy comments and witty remarks would be in the top ten. You are pure awesomeness. Yes – I’ve had a consumerist crush on you for years. Carry on. ;)

5. Frnt242 says:

#8 has me in tears again…

6. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

A Chapel Street clothing store at the centre of a customer service row that went viral on the internet has shut up shop.

7. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Aww, the Margaret Drama didn’t make it? Those were the best.

… the comments, were, at least. XD

8. El_Red says:

Seriously Consumerist, since Ben left, you guys went downhill in quality. 4 out 10 best post were by him, and you let him off. Oh, and you kept Phil, whose posting quality is sub-par most of the time. I visit you less and less these days. I guess will stop completely at this rate.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I stick around because the folks in the comments are much more interesting than the posts themselves.

• TasteyCat says:

I haven’t noticed any impact either positive or negative. Granted, I haven’t really been looking for one either. It was a pretty tame termination/layoff/quitting/whatever it was. Without any more information, I don’t think we can really place fault or blame, or speculate that there was any more or less they could have done to keep him onboard.

I do agree with raydee o’bugg that one of the reasons I come is for the comments. I’d like to see them revamped. At least an edit button for starters. Perhaps some more filter options (i.e. newest, oldest, most replied, highest rated).

9. Parnassus says:

Another followup to #9:

And one to #1:
    This actually saddened me a bit since, yeah, I think the woman was nuts and yeah, I’m sorry for the kid but I think she deserved her day in court. Why should they be allowed to make promises they didn’t believe in AND keep the money?

10. muceybbds says:

Number six drives me up the wall. People are on the wrong side of the fight on that one.

11. Southern says:

In regards to #9 – the GASP Australia clothing chain – they finally apologized to the lady ON TV on December 22nd..

It could have something to do with them (supposedly) going bankrupt.. :D They were just sued by some freight carrier over unpaid bills, and one of their stores apparently already closed and others are having “90% off” sales..

So yeah, taking pride in telling your customers to go **** themselves probably isn’t good for business… :)