DOJ Reportedly Prepping Criminal Charges Against BP

More than a year and a half after the disastrous collapse of the BP-operated Deepwater Horizon drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico, it looks like someone may finally be held accountable for the accident, as federal prosecutors are reportedly preparing to file criminal charges against the oil company and perhaps some individual employees.

According to the Wall Street Journal, several Houston-based engineers and at least one supervisor could face felony charges for providing false information in federal documents. If convicted, that could mean up to five years behind bars.

However, the Journal’s sources say things are not yet set in stone and it’s still possible that those individuals may not ultimately be charged. A decision is expected in early 2012.

Meanwhile, it’s likely that BP, the company, will face criminal charges for violations of the federal Clean Water Act.

Last year, the Deepwater Horizon disaster, which left 11 people dead and sent an immeasurable amount of oil spewing up into the Gulf of Mexico, earned BP the title of Worst Company In America in a very tight battle with Bank of America. It will be interesting to see if BP makes the list again this year or if it will have to hand over the Golden Poo to a new competitor.

Criminal Charges Are Prepared in BP Spill

Comments

1. Cat says:

I’m pretty sure that the push to hurry up and cut corners came from a place higher up than “several Houston-based engineers and at least one supervisor”.

I doubt any harm will come to those who pulled these people’s strings.

2. Gorbachev says:

All charges, except for a few low-level scapegoats, will be settles out of court without anyone agreeing to any wrong doing.

That’s just how “justice” works these days in the great ol’ United States of America.

3. TheMansfieldMauler says:

In other words: it will depend on what political party the accused, their families, their lawyers and their companies decide to donate money to for the upcoming election *cough cough*.

4. shaqfu says:

The Department of Justice under the Obama administration has got to be one of my biggest disappointments for me. No criminal charges against any individuals with Massey Energy or against any financial firms on Wall Street for the financial crisis. Not to say I think any Republican president would’ve done any better, it just confirmed to me that both parties kowtows to big business.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Don’t forget the Black Panthers who have now been greenlighted to carry weapons to polling locations.

• r-nice says:

Say what?

• ARP says:

I didn’t know that non-prosecution means that its OK to do something. So when Bush failed to enforce regulations all those years, it was actually OK do those things.

But its does feed into the meme that he’s ultra-liberal black panther, ultra conservative Muslim, communist, who wants to redistribute wealth by supporting big banks taking people’s money, wants to take your guns, but has done little to do it, etc.

PS- I don’t think Republicans should be complaining about bias in DOJ. Or did you forget the whole, “fire the attorneys who pursue conservative politicians and put a 24 year old in a high ranking spot.”

5. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“…things are not yet set in stone and it’s still possible that those individuals may not ultimately be charged.”

Translation: either pay us off of we’ll send Mickey the Wrench to work you over. And we’ll also charge you in a court of law.

6. FreshPorcupineSalad says:

Shit rolls down hill… I feel bad for the people at the bottom who will take the fall for this.

7. Geotis says:

I live in Gulfport, Ms and was effected by the BP Oil Spill. My claim was rejected twice. Is there any further headway made on a class-action lawsuit? I haven’t signed anything that would prevent me from suing and they’ve also expressed to me that the only action I would get from them is a reaction to a lawsuit.

8. oldwiz65 says:

How will the Republicans allow that to happen? Don’t they get millions from BP for their campaigns?

9. SilverBlade2k says:

only 5 years for a disaster that will affect the area – and beyond – for a century or more, plus 11 people dead..

Awesome..just…awesome…faith in humanity is now at -200. Just when I thought things were going up..

10. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Yeah, lying in federal documents is not the same as being responsible for what happened on the TRANSOCEAN owned and operated/BP leased Deepwater Horizon.

I only wish people would realize, like the courts do, that there is such a thing as shared responsibility, and only an idiot would believe that what happened was the fault of only one person/company. With cascade failures, like what happened here, many people/companies share blame.

11. SnatchTease says:

DOJ has to do this. So they can find them ‘not guilty’, deflect from Halliburton (who caused the BP oil spill), get paid.

12. vicissitude says:

When it rains, it rains oil on my satellite dish…

I want butts in jail!

Corrupt political butts in jail and corrupt corporate butts in jail. Including, but not limited to: Bank butts, oil company butts, power company butts, and all the other company butts up for annual ‘worst company in America award’ butts…

I want the DOJ and FBI to start working for the people of America and stop working for corruption. I want separation of business and State in America. I want separation from business and law enforcement in America. So that real people who have lost so much, can at least begin to rebuild the things done to the environment, along with their homes and livelihoods.

I actually had a family member ask me who was going to pay the costs for jailing all these butts. My reply is simple… Corruption is what is costing Americans their lives, their environment and their futures. Corruption is dishonoring those who fought before us and sacrificed their lives to make America a great country to live in for all Americans. (And by the way, we saved the British!)

Vote for someone you don’t know. Someone without political experience. Someone who would rather do the right thing, than sacrifice another for personal gain. If nobody is standing up for the job and you know a good person, convince them they’re needed and nominate them. Learn to expect honesty and not corruption from politicians just because it sounds easy to accept. America needs good people to stand up and fight. Otherwise we’re lost and sad stories like this, where the corrupt will yet again escape prosecution and go on destroying what’s left of America…