5 Things That Will Cost More Next Year

The rough economy of the last few years has spoiled shoppers with low inflation, but there’s no guarantee that prices will continue to stagnate next year. As the calendar turns and we march into 2012, some items and services to which you’re accustomed to paying the same price could be more expensive.

DealNews rounds up predictions that the inflation bug will bite into several products next year. Here are five:

* Flights. Rising demand and fewer seats available due to cutbacks will likely lead to a price bump. Expect airlines to nickel and dime you any way they can.

* Data plans. Carriers, which are already shying away from unlimited plans, may charge more for monthly packages for cell phones and tablets as they invest in LTE networks.

* Water. Cash-strapped cities looking to balance their budgets have put rate hikes into effect. Some Chicago residents will pay 25 percent more than they did this year.

* Gas. It’s always a good bet to expect to pay more at the pump. Although fluctuating demand will play a role in keeping prices reasonable, drivers can only cut back so much. The post predicts prices per gallon to near the $4 mark.

11 Things That Will Be More Expensive in 2012 [DealNews] (Thanks, Mark!)

Comments

1. GMFish says:

“Prices rise each year.” Slowest news day ever.

• Darury says:

To be fair, the items listed are expected to rise above the average increase. For example, hard drives went up almost 100% for a while during the initial crisis phase when it wasn’t apparent how long the shortages would last.

The other thing to consider is that food and energy are not considered part of the inflation index, which skews it severely, since those are the two items most people can’t avoid purchasing, yet their costs aren’t reflected in inflation increases.

• andsowouldi says:

Hard drives used to be so cheap, but over the past few years, they’ve skyrocketed!

Oh wait.

Prices don’t rise each year on electronics, so at the very least, it’s good to to know which products to expect a rise on.

2. kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Apocalypse shelters.

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Something that is always more expensive the next year: rent.

• cryptique says:

Another: tuition.

• tbax929 says:

If I remember correctly you’re in the DC area, where that is probably true.

Where I live, Tucson, only a fool pays more in rent the next year. There are SO many rentals on the market that the renters really have control, assuming they’re willing to bargain with landlords and/or leasing companies.

There are so many houses and apartments for rent here that you could save money by either moving or threatening to move if the rent increases. In my neighborhood alone, which is mostly owner-occupied, there are several houses up for rent. These are 3-4 bedroom houses, less than 5 years old, renting for under $1,000.

Part of it is the housing crash. Developers built way more houses and condos than they could ever sell. Part of it is that it’s an Air Force town so people have to move and put their houses up for rent if they can’t sell them.

My point is that your comment largely depends on where one lives. Anyone in my city paying an increase on rent is really doing it wrong.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Really! Hmm, that’s very interesting. I was thinking about moving there if my bf wants me to. Of course, I would need to get a car with air conditioning that works. :P

4. Grogey says:

Im waiting for them to cancel my 30 unlimited plan through verizon so I get out of my contract. I will do it verzion….

• ToddMU03 says:

I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan with a new LTE phone. I rooted it and now enjoy free tethering. I’m taking full advantage of my unlimited data plan through Verizon.

5. ShruggingGalt says:

The water thing is mainly because government entities really can’t save for the future, kind of like saving up to replace aging water mains.

The Federal Government has cracked down on local water and is mandating upgrades, which have to be paid for in terms of higher base fees, since conservation means less money coming into the system.

Now as for gasoline, you have to include the fact that ethanol subsidies (tax credit for blending) are ending after Saturday BUT the mandate to use ethanol is not ending. Which means higher taxes at least. The E85 users will see the jump more than the gasoline users…

6. YouDidWhatNow? says:

“* Hard drives. As we noted last month, flooding in Thailand slowed down manufacturing operations. Shortages are expected to last well into next year, causing price increases of as much as 10 percent.”

10%? Have you actually looked around? Prices have doubled and in some cases nearly tripled.

• deathbecomesme says:

I think they missed a 0 on the end of that lol.

• denros says:

I took that to mean prices were going up an additional 10% from where they already are.

• Dryfus Ranon says:

Guess I lucked out buying about 10 drives ranging from 1-2TB when prices were under $90. Accidentally built a Win 8 Ultimate box. Thought board was dead and replaced CMOS battery and changed SATA cable for HD to another port. Like how it powers down and seems like its off until you press enter, instant on. I plan on building a Win Server 8 with several 2TB Drives.
      Can’t believe the prices being charged for the drives I currently have on shelf. One program from giveawayoftheday.com said all 3 of my 2TB drives were bad, so I replaced them all with WD Blacks 64 cache. Seagate has really gone down in quality. Used to have the best warranty but now the WD Blacks have the 5 yr.

7. menty666 says:

Someone I know got a message from their energy provider (someplace out west…I don’t recall) that because of increases in energy efficiency cutting demand, the prices were going up on her electric bill by 8%. I guess when you’re the only game in town you can pull whatever ballsy thing you want to.

• Emaewest says:

We’re having the same issue with water. People have become so good at conserving water that the price is increasing by 12%. I’m surprised the same argument hasn’t been used by the power company here as well.

8. deathbecomesme says:

“causing price increases of as much as 10 percent.”

10% my arse. Hard drives that cost $50 last year are in the $90 range. It’s ridiculous. I ended up buying an SATA-IDE adapter instead of getting a new HDD. Just threw in an old HDD I had laying around.

• George4478 says:

I have a stack of old hard drives lying around the house, just in case. For the prices of adapters, I could add a couple terabytes to my network storage. Not the speediest drives, but they don’t have to be.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I wasn’t actually in the market for a hard drive until very recently so I had no idea what the appropriate price for a hard drive really was, or that there was a shortage.

Before the price hike from the shortage, what would have been a reasonable price? I did buy a 1 TB for $80 (it was $50 off on Newegg). I think I got a good deal, considering 500 GB drives were hovering around $60 already, even though it was the shortage causing the increases.

• humphrmi says:

As I noted below, less agile news and blogs are a bit behind on the news; hard drive prices are actually going down now as the dire predictions for supply disruptions proved overblown.

• deathbecomesme says:

1TB hard drives were going for about $60 a while back, $50 if they were on sale. I bought an internal storage drive for $60 and my cousin bought an external for $50 on sale at Frys

9. amgriffin says:

May I suggest that an article about the four or five things that won’t cost more next year might be better received? That would be refreshing, considering it’s no challenge to find things that will be more expensive next year.

10. Cat says:

As long as the price of hookers and blow doesn’t go up, I’m okay with the other price increases.

As are my congresscritters, no doubt.

11. humphrmi says:

As Computer World reported a week ago, the predictions about hard drive prices were overblown and prices are now starting to slide as effects of the Thai floods subside.

• Out For Delivery says:

I sure hope so. I was pricing a hard drive purchase for my work and using a price tracking website (camelegg.com) some of the drives were getting close to double their average price over the last year.

When you’re buying ~20 drives that usually cost around $250 each (WD RE4s), paying close to $400 each is a deal breaker. My local vendor told me they can’t do much better at the moment either.

12. frank64 says:

I thought data plans would go down. There are new competitors, like one from Walmart that are offering low priced plans.

13. Buckus says:

Hard drive prices have gone through the roof, nearly doubling from what I have observed. 1TB drives that used to be $70 are now “on sale” for $110.

14. dakeypoo says:

Health Care! Thank you, legislators!

15. I Love Christmas says:

did you actually say “low inflation?” Are you that dumb?

I suggest you take a course in fiat currency. Then I suggest you take a course in the: not federal, no reserve, system of printing fiat currency. Then I suggest you actually figure out where the trillions of “stimulus” and “bailout” dollars come from: hint – PRINTING. Then I suggest you understand what printing money is; inflation.

Lastly, for those who can’t be bothered. The Fed was created 100 years ago as part of the bankruptcy of the US government. The Fed was granted the ability to PRINT money and loan it at interest to the US for a term of 100 years. The agreement allowed for a devaluing of the currency – via PRINTING, of 1 percent per year for 100 years. The devaluation is exponential, this is why we are talking trillions now when not so long ago we spoke of billions. This year is the final year of the devaluation – I suggest you figure out what that means.

Special bonus. Look on your “federal reserve” paper in your pocket. Notice is says “federal reserve NOTE” look up what “note” means in legal terms and watch your head spin.

16. technoreaper says:

Everything’s going up, but your pay isn’t! Wait until these MBA idiots see declining sales and have to back away from their glorious plans to gouge customers.

17. diagoro says:

“The rough economy of the last few years has spoiled shoppers with low inflation, but there’s no guarantee that prices will continue to stagnate next year”.

I’m guessing the author doesn’t buy his own food. Everywhere I look food prices have gone up, especially if you eat out. Fast food has made major cuts in the serving size while also increasing price…..

• HomerSimpson says:

The author is talking about stuff like caviar and Rolls Royces, obviously! Y’know…the stuff us “common folk” just don’t understand….

18. smartmuffin says:

The government is printing money.

The fed is monetizing the debt (soon to exceed 100% of GDP).

EVERYTHING is going to cost more next year. But they will cook the numbers and insist that inflation is only around 3% or something ridiculous.

19. Kuri says:

Well, if data plans are going up that just ensures that I’ll never get one, though knowing my luck standard cell phones will no longer be for sale by then.

20. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Low inflation? Really? I’m paying more for pretty much everything these days. In the case of food, I’m even paying more while getting less. Everyone I know has been complaining about how much more expensive pretty much everything is. And, with many people having stagnant and even cut wages, it makes it worse.

21. ChacoKevy says:

Consumerist posts discussing inflation are my favorite.

22. parv says:

Other things include that I care about more are camera lenses (and to some extent the bodies that they mount). They have risen nearly US$ 200-300 in case of Sony 85 mm f/1.4 since circa 2008.

23. gman863 says:

Prior to the flooding, retail internal hard drives were a loss-leader item. Most major geek chains (Newegg, Fry’s, MicroCenter, etc.) sold the cheaper quality ones at or near cost in the hope they would also sell the customer cables, computer accessories and an “instant exchange” extended warranty at an outrageous profit.

Shares of Western Digital and Seagate (the two major hard drive manufacturers) have risen on the stock market since the flooding. My guess is both companies plan to milk the “shortage” excuse in the form of much higher wholesale prices long after production has returned to at or near normal.

24. bugalaman says:

10% more for HDDs? Try more like 100+%. A 2TB HDD I bought last year for $90 is now $200.

25. prizgrizbiz says:

You can add to the list, ‘political campaigns’.

26. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

I’ve seen the future. I can’t afford it.

27. hypnotic800 says:

Drywall prices are going up 35% a decision made by the drywall companies who have allocated a fixed number of trucks each company can buy…