Coffee Grounds Can Double As An Exfoliator

Those coffee beans you grind each morning can apparently perk up your skin as well as your eyes. You can use coffee grounds to make an exfoliator that could save you from having to buy expensive beauty products that do the same thing.

Writing at And Then She Saved, a blogger takes the tip, which she got from Glamour magazine, and put it into practice, providing a how-to guide.

Step 1: Drain the liquid out of the grounds and scoop it into a bowl.

Step 2: Rub it on your face with gentle movements, but stay away from your eyes.

Step 3: Rinse it off with warm water.

Advantages include a fresh, possibly caffeinated face. Disadvantages include smelling like coffee and a mess in your bathroom.

Making Use of The Old… Coffee Grounds As An Exfoliator [And Then She Saved via Shopping Detox]

Comments

1. MutantMonkey says:

You forgot about drug smuggling.

/Towelie

2. ChuckECheese says:

Does this tip stain your skin a lovely walnut?

3. CrankyOwl says:

Finally, a use for the pound of decaf coffee I accidentally bought!

4. Cat says:

Rub it on your face with gentle movements, but stay away from your eyes.

You know, my doctor told me not to put coffee grounds in my eye.

5. Coffee says:

I was worried that I would miss out on information like this when I quit my subscription to Good Housekeeping…thank god for Consumerist.

6. Cat says:

h, dr. Smn thght t ws gd d t gv Phl th kys t Cnsmrst, nd lt vryn ls g hm.

7. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

awww, this has already been tested and debunked by a consumerist

• quirkyrachel says:

Nice call. +1

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Aww… I miss Chris Walters.

• xredgambit says:

I think he did this so he now has a post for tomorrow that this is debunked. He is posting smarter not harder.

• parv says:

As a facial and foot scrub it was fine but as a body scrub I don’t recommend it for anyone past the body hair level of “smooth”. Again, so much water to get off so few grounds.” — hhole (emphasis is mine).

Problem with use on rest of the body was lack of enough ‘body hair level of “smooth”‘.

8. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Sand! Sand is cheap! You can use that as an exfoliant, too!

9. josephbloseph says:

Also, I was seated next to an airsick stripper on a flight once, and the flight attendant put coffee grounds in the airsickness bag. It really masked the odor.

10. jrs45 says:

Almost anything rough can be used as an exfoliant. Sand mixed into soap is pretty much what all commercial products are, might as well use that.

11. Dallas_shopper says:

Baking soda is better, and probably cheaper too, pound for pound. Use your used coffee grounds in your compost heap (if you have one).

• Cat says:

Bedding for night crawlers!

• BBBB says:

“Use your used coffee grounds in your compost heap”

You can still do that after using them as an exfoliator.

As for “Disadvantages include smelling like coffee…” How is that a disadvantage???

• parv says:

Ha! :-)

One fine day I was fantasizing about coffee being used in everything instead of water: to bathe; to brush teeth; to cook, make tea, coffee, candy, chocolate; to drink as water, of course; etc. *sigh* (of longing of what could be)

• Dallas_shopper says:

I wouldn’t use coffee; it’s too rough. Plus it could clog the drain.

12. Cat says:

80 Grit Sandpaper Can Double As An Exfoliator!

13. The Porkchop Express says:

I use it to brush my teeth. Well, tooth really.

14. PLATTWORX says:

Does appear Phil is the only one posting today and he is just randomly grabbing stuff off the web and tossing it here to fill space. I have yet to see a consumer affairs angle to one of these. (eye roll)

• ChuckECheese says:

It’s a cry for help!

• scoosdad says:

And no mention of the big consumer story of the day, that Kmart/Sears announced the closing of a lot of stores today. “Didn’t perform as expected” during the holiday season. Not exactly a surprise.

“Stores are dirty and in serious need of updating” says analysts. Another non-surprise.

• Thyme for an edit button says:

I was also surprised no mention of this news on Consumerist.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Let’s let you write for the Consumerist. I have a feeling we’d be getting better posts that what’s out there today.

• JennQPublic says:

Then why don’t you go find some other blog to complain on?

15. aloria says:

I can get tube of St. Ives Almond Scrub at practically any pharmacy. It’s $4 more expensive than used coffee grounds, but it’s worth preserving what little dignity I have left.

16. yurei avalon says:

Coffee grounds are also good as an odor absorber when you’re lacking baking soda or activated carbon.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yes, i had a terrible time in my fridge when some apples went bad and everything smelled like rotten apples, even the exterior of soda cans. baking soda failed so i put a bowl of open coffee grounds in there. two days later no more rotten apple stench

17. Skipweasel says:

We throw our spent grounds out onto the flower borders. We live on clay and the soil really needs something to break it up – coffee seems to do the trick, it’s got a lot easier to work over the last few years. A pound or so a week adds up!
    The bonus is that the slugs and snails hate it. I’d like to think it’s ‘cos the remaining caffeine makes them scream round and round until they die of exhaustion, but I suspect really it just sticks all over their slimy-bits and makes life hard for them.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

And worms, which are good for the soil, love coffee grounds. I kind of wish I drank coffee since I have to feed my worm farm with shredded paper.

• caradrake says:

This may be dependent on your area, but around here coffee places will give you coffee grounds if you ask.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i’ve read that several insects that prey on vegetables [like rust fly on carrots] dislike coffee grounds and they are good protection for the plants if you mix them in when you sow the seeds

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Hmmm…I may have to get a bigger coffeemaker than the one I sold in my garage sale (too tiny–it was like the ones in motel rooms) and start drinking more brewed coffee. I can save the grounds for my hosta bed. Those poor things rarely last the summer thanks to the nasty slugs. I can’t use Sluggo because of my cat and the neighbor’s cat using the mulch for a bathroom.

• Skipweasel says:

Ah, hostas. Once, queuing in a plant shop our son asked why the woman in front was buying so much slug-food.
        She didn’t look too pleased to hear her trolley full of hostas so described.

• neilb says:

We put out used tea and coffee bits into the compost or directly onto the soil. This is about as good of compost as one can get and it looks just like dirt (a characteristic I wish we got faster from rotting veggie and fruit peels).

18. Ayla says:

Sugar also works well, as does fine sand (from a beach). Make sure you rub gently and in a circle motion so you don’t rip your skin and cause small amounts of scaring that will build up over time. Use lemon juice or masks made of tomato paste to reduce age spots and wrinkles. Wash the face with powdered milk instead of soap and coconut oil makes a great overnight moisturizer.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

And salt as long as you don’t have any cuts. Let’s see, sea salt scrub from a store? $10-$12. Sea salt from the bulk store, cheap….add it to some of your face wash for your face or mix it with grapeseed oil or other light oil and add whatever fragrance you want.

And all kidding aside from everyone, there are beauty products that do contain coffee grounds or caffeine. If you are just throwing them away (like I do because I don’t have a yard to use them in) why not make use of them? I just looked on Sephora and saw a coffee and sugar scrub for $28!!! And looking at the ingredients it would be easy to replicate at home much cheaper.

19. Fast Eddie Eats Bagels says:

woah woah woah miss lippy

20. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Anyone else “loving” these “Tips From Philoise”?

21. polster says:

you can also use quick oats (oatmeal) which works similar to coffee grounds in absorbing oil and is a mild abrasive to loosen dead skin.

22. Tiffymonster says:

Why not go all out and mix some sugar in with it and then wash it off with some milk? Sure, it may all be fantastic for your skin but what a mess. I think I will stick with my face wash and clarisonic brush.

23. BennieHannah says:

Lye is an over-achieving exfoliator! (Can I write for Consumerist now?)

24. MECmouse says:

You forgot about staining also! yuck