Walmart Pulls Baby Formula From Shelves As Precaution Following Death Of Newborn

Out of precaution, Walmart has pulled a specific lot of Enfamil powdered baby formula from the shelves of all its stores following the death of a newborn child in Missouri earlier this week.

“We extend our deepest condolences to this baby boy’s family as they try to come to grips with their loss,” a Wal-Mart spokeswoman tells CNN. “As soon as we heard what happened, we immediately reached out to the manufacturer of the formula and to the Department of Health and Senior Services to provide any information we may have to help with the investigation.”

According to reports, the 10-day-old baby died of a rare bacterial infection not long after being fed Enfamil Newborn — lot #ZP1K7G — which had been purchased at a nearby Walmart. It is not know whether the formula is even related to the child’s passing, but the retail chain opted to pull it from shelves while testing continues.

Mead Johnson Nutrition, the makers of Enfamil, says it is confident in the testing it does before its products hit store shelves.

“Every batch of our product that goes out the door is tested for cronobacter before it goes out the door,” a rep for the company tells WebMD. “So we will go back and check the (records to make sure this lot was tested. We are sharing all our information with authorities so they can track down the source.”

As of now, there is no broader recall listed for the baby formula.

Infant Formula Investigated in Baby Death [WebMD]
Tests ongoing as Wal-mart pulls formula after baby’s death [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. Power Imbalance says:

Good on Walmart.

2. Marlin says:

Not sure why they recalled it off just 1 case, unless there is more to it.

Formula has wraning to only keep ti a certain time frame let alone using clean water and heating correctly.

• Froggmann says:

No I can see them pulling it because of one death. Dead babies are really bad for business.

• Conformist138 says:

Probably because “a single case of a baby getting a rash” is different than “a single case of dead baby”. Dead babies are really bad for business and people love bashing Walmart as it is.

• Marlin says:

Ok then why have not the diaper it was wearing been brought up? The shampoo? Nipple brand? etc…

Also this is not even a recall, its only walmart doing this. Notice that the maker has not recalled a single can and they have a LOT more to lose if it was their product.

Also there IS more to the story. 2, not 1, babies have been infected. Its just 1 has died. Now if they used the same formula then I can see a reason to hold it.

• Costner says:

Can you imagine what would happen if they kept it on the shelves and there was another dead baby or two as a result? Wallyworld would be facing a multi billion dollar lawsuit.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to babies.

3. Quirk Sugarplum says:

Damn you Walmart! Damn you for making me love you again!

Slightly.

4. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

How horrible. That poor baby was only 10 days old. I’m glad to see WalMart jumped in and pulled the formula, and I hope the CDC figures out what happened.

5. BrownLeopard says:

I’m so glad my wife is breastfeeding our daughter.

• little stripes says:

It’s just not always an option for all women. Not all women can stay home, or easily pump, etc. And some women just don’t produce enough milk.

• Misha says:

And not all babies are able to latch properly. And families who adopt can’t breastfeed their children either. And babies with certain enzyme deficiencies can require specialized formula instead of breastmilk.

• MMD says:

Irrelevant, judgmental, trolling post is irrelevant and judgmental.

• DoubleShortMILF says:

You wanna chill on the snotty breastfeeding comments, please?

• Jules Noctambule says:

Isn’t your wife lucky that she’s able to breastfeed! Not only did she not lose that ability through cancer or another illness, injury, or the luck of the genetic draw, but you get to judge the choices of others because of it! How great that must be for both of you.

• hobochangbar says:

Wow, thought we only saw that kinda vitriol when one’s asks a woman to put her puppies back in her sweater & stop feeding the kid in public.

Yes, it’s great that alternatives are avialable for those who need it, and you gave good examples fo rthat. But the industry pushes formula way too much and hosptials do not do enough to encourage & support new moms with breastfeeding. You leave the maternity ward with bags of formula samples/swag & coupons and if your lucky maybe 15 minutes with a lactation consultant.
      Dad who watched & supported as my wife struggled, pumped & suplimented with formula for our twins.

• little stripes says:

• MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

But what if I’m hungry?

• Eyeheartpie says:

And all BrownLeapord said was that he was glad his wife was breastfeeding. How do you read a trolling comment in that? I read it as “I’m glad my wife is breastfeeding so we don’t have to worry about problems like bacteria in the formula”. It’s pretty benign as far as comments go, IMO.

• little stripes says:

Seriously? This wasn’t about breastfeeding. He was being condescending.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Not talking about hobochangbar (who you replied to), but the originator of this thread. He’s getting lots of vitriol for what I see as a pretty innocuous statement.

• little stripes says:

I was also talking about the original comment. This wasn’t about breastfeeding. It had nothing to do with breastfeeding.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Ah, understood. You just like reading into comments and reading them in the worst light with respect to what the OP meant. I read his comment more like a “thank god I wasn’t on that plane that crashed”, and you read it as a “you all suck because you don’t follow the same life choices that I do, and you deserve what happens because of it”. Now I see where all the vitriol is coming from.

As a disclaimer, he may well have meant what you assumed his comment meant, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. It keeps my blood pressure down.

• shadowboxer524 says:

Don’t worry. Little stripes loves to jump to conclusions about a person’s character and motivations based on one sentence. To me, BrownLeopard was saying “I’m glad my wife’s breastfeeding so that there’s no chance the baby gets sick/dies from a bad batch.”

It was everyone else who turned it into a “ZOMG BrownLeopard’s a total dick for being SOOO arrogant about his wife’s ability to breastfeed.” I can see potential snark in BrownLeopard’s comment, *maybe*. Regardless, it was not undoubtably so. But instead of asking BrownLeopard for clarification about his remark, what does everyone do? They jump all over him for stuff he did not say.

Little stripes comments, “This really isn’t the place for such a discussion. It’s condescending and trolling. If a woman decides not to breastfed, it’s her decision and not your business.” BrownLeopard was not trying to instigate a breastfeeding vs formula comment war, from what I can tell. And he certainly was not trying to pry into any woman’s decision not to breastfeed. That part of Little stripes’s comment was totally irrelevant.

• pk says:

You’re so wrong about that. As a woman, I think there is too much pressure/guilt placed on women to breastfeed. There is plenty of help out there for anyone who truly wants to do it, (and plenty of self-righteous people out there who will blast you for choosing formula.)

6. samonela says:

Yeah FYI – that doesn’t happen too quickly, WalMart.

7. sweetgreenthing says:

:( That’s heartbreaking. Makes me feel a little more tolerant to my biting, breastfed 6 month old.

8. xanxer says:

That’s why formula should only be used when medically necessary.
    Children are malnourished and sick because their mothers arent passing that proper nutrients and immunities on to their babies anymore.
    Then crap like this happens. It’s all garbage.

9. Gertie says:

I figured there would be a comment about breastfeeding, and I understand why. One dead baby is horrendously sad. His family has to be shattered. If more babies follow, it indicts the industry and the practice of formula feeding. How many moms out there, who gave up or didn’t bother trying or couldn’t, will deeply regret not breastfeeding? To be fearful of every bottle they make would be a tough burden to carry.

There are women who cannot breastfeed because of illness, cancer, medications, adoption. There are women who work and can’t pump. And there are women who simply don’t want to do it, period. The reasons for avoiding the practice of breastfeeding are many but it all boils down to one fact:

Not breastfeeding means you and your baby are at the mercy of formula manufacturers and suppliers. What is Plan B? The women who don’t not breastfeed have their hearts invested in the well-being and oversight of massive corporations. Sometimes, things fall through the cracks and one mistake can spell doom for the most vulnerable.

This is NOT a slam or shaming of formula feeding moms. Some of my kids had formula, too, and they are happy, healthy, smart. We had no problems with it. They all breastfed, too. My point is that everyone has a stake in the safety of formula. For some parents, it may be a bigger risk than they anticipated. I hope not. I hope all babies are safe.

And my heart goes out to the parents of Avery.

10. sj_user1 says:

How many children are going to go hungry because of this? Do they know it wasn’t tainted water or something else the kid ate?