Research Shows Holiday Online Shopping Up 15% This Year

If they could make a noise, digital cash registers would have been busy ringing this year, as new research shows consumers are online shopping to the tune of 15% more than last year, up from $26.9 billion to $30.9 billion.

The L.A. Times cites ComScore, which says the 46 days between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16 were more lucrative online than last year during the same period.

Just last week, Americans spent around $1 billion on each of four different days online shopping. The biggest day for spending was Monday Dec. 12, at $1.13 billion.

Even though the delivery clock is winding down, as it gets closer and closer to Christmas Day, this week “may see another strong day or two” of online sales, ComScore Chairman Gian Fulgoni said, but “it’s clear that we have now reached the crescendo for this season and that spending will begin to slow as we get closer to Christmas.”

Shopping with your feet on the coffee table and a plate of Christmas cookies by your side or heading out to play parking lot roulette and big box store tug-of-war over flat-screen TVs — no wonder consumers are staying home.

Online holiday shopping up 15% this year so far, ComScore says [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

100% of my holiday shopping was online.

• tbax929 says:

Mine too. I’ve been doing all of my shopping online for at least 3 years. Other than the stress of the one or two packages that come late, I much prefer it.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Here also. I took advantage of the amazon prime free month offer. Too good to pass up, no sales tax, everything delivered right to my door 2 days later. Can’t beat that deal with a stick (even a stick that’s delivered in 2 days).

• scoccaro says:

yep, mine too. My family doesnt need big ticket items like tv’s and computers so we get small thoughtful things that sometimes are hard to come by at malls. I was able to get an uncommon jelly sampler from Smuckers for my mom which i thought was pretty cool and some old, but good movies for my brother that I ordered from Amazon.

• Flik says:

Yeah, me too. I didn’t step foot in a single mall, and I’m very happy for that fact.

2. Dallas_shopper says:

Mine was about 50/50 this year; by the time I rounded up the stray “hostess” gifts for Christmas parties, gifts to donate, and office white elephant stuff I’d done almost half of my shopping at a B&M. But if you don’t count that, I did most of it online and the vast majority of it was done prior to Thanksgiving. Woo hoo for nearly stress-free holidays.

3. Wonderweasel says:

every single thing I bought was from amazon.

thanks, Geritol.

4. Wonderweasel says:

every single thing I bought was from amazon.

thanks, Geritol.

5. Wonderweasel says:

dont know how that happened.

6. mauispiderweb says:

We went to the mall, once, because online was out of one present. The store had it, so it was worth wading through the crowds of shoppers. Remind me to never go into Aeropostale again during any holiday or sale event.

7. cornstalker says:

About 90% of my Christmas gifts were bought online. No lines. No crowds. Better deals. Easy to comparison shop.

8. AllanG54 says:

I bought a bunch of stuff on line from Staples and Quill but it was for my office. I wonder if that’s included as well.

9. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

OMG I love that cat! What a rolly polly happy looking feline!

Let’s fast forward to March 2012: new headline will probably be “Credit Card Late Payments and Defaults On the Rise”

10. dreamking says:

15% seems like breathless posturing. There’s really no way to know for sure what the Christmas season’s been like until after it’s over.

11. dougp26364 says:

For the first time I did some Christmas shopping online. It was convenient in that I know I got the right size on the clothing I ordered. The issue I have is that once you order off someone’s wish list, the items go away, telling the recipient what someone’s bought them for Christmas. My other issue is the deliviery drivers drop and run technique for delivering packages. Someone’s almost always home so we know when the doorbell’s not rung. We also rarely enter/exit through the front door so, if we don’t think about checking, there’s no telling how long a package might sit out front.